There must be a way to be informed of Hubpages going down.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. CloudExplorer profile image77
    CloudExplorerposted 11 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7066255_f248.jpg
    This post is meant for us to find out if there is a way to be informed, besides what occurred today for all hubbers to get a better idea as to when or how long hubpages is going to be down for, if it is to happen ever again. If you have a bright idea you would like to add here, please do so in the forum post. Any and all are accepted folks!

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Email notification would work best for me.  I am on Twitter and on Facebook, but things get lost the feeds. As for the email database, one would think that a back-up copy could be stored elsewhere for such instances as what happened.

Email is  the best way for me to see things.

1. wavegirl22 profile image50
        wavegirl22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

make lists then your twitter feed is the info you want.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

It's the Internet... sites go down sometimes, this was not a scheduled down time as far as I can tell.

CloudExplorerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know its the internet, but that makes it even more imperative to communicate effectively to all those who love using hubpages & have invested quite some time into it all.

3. CloudExplorer profile image77

Well some of us would like to be informed of something you know, and even even if its the Internet.

4. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

This morning when I wasn't able to log on to HP I googled and found this web site:

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/hubpages.com.html

Of course it didn't give me any info about why HP was down or how long it would remain down, but at least I was able to find out there was some sort of site-wide problem, and it wasn't just my computer acting weird or that my account had been hacked or cancelled.

5. CloudExplorer profile image77

Thanks for the info SmartAndFun, this shall come in handy for me in the near future for sure, awesome stuff!

6. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

I received a notification from the HP page on Facebook.  smile

I looked there but didn't see any notice about it, but I guess maybe I didn't look close enough. When was it posted, like what time of the morning or evening. I noticed it was down around 8am EST.

7. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 11 years ago

One could find this at Twitter:

https://twitter.com/HubPagesDotCom/stat … 4710409216

Most Websites will turn to either Twitter to FB to notify users of outages

I saw notices on both streams

It looks like the FB post was at 11:30 EST.

So, probably even a little bit before Simone's work day probably officially starts in Cali?

Thanks Sunforged I will definitely add Hubpages to my Twitter account, why didn't I think of looking there, and or doing that earlier. Yikes! Your info here is precious, and many of us hubbers who are new here will be able to use such info for sure bro, awesome!

Even if I been here for a little over a year, I still feel new bro.

8. Faith Reaper profile image82
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

Yes, seems like it would be fairly easy for all you technology guys to just make it where it just automatically sends an alert message out as soon as it goes down?  But I am sure there are much wiser persons in this area that can come up with a faster notice and reason---well solution.  This just happened to be a day I was not at work, but that is life and things happen out of our control.  Mike, I know you can surely come up with a simple solution to this, just in case it happens again, and I am sure it will.

9. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

If we cannot be informed because the problem occurs unexpectedly why couldn't there come up a sign when I try to go into HP like down for maintenance or technical problems. I believe once or twice I've seen signs like this instead of being able to go into a page. It would save a lot of guess work. However I'm lucky that I have FB and I get my info from there.

10. johndnathan profile image74
    johndnathanposted 11 years ago

Websites go down.  Servers crash.  Often unexpectedly.  If it was scheduled maintenance then most likely they would've sent out a message beforehand.  However, if it just crashes there is nothing that they can do to notify people, because the server that would send out the notification is the same server that crashed.  Of course you could set up a separate server to send out a notification when the site goes down, however if you're going to do that then you might as well set up a backup server so no one will notice the outage.

I believe it was their Data Center that went down, so yeah your right about the fact that the message couldn't come from the hubpages network itself, but if there is a will there must be a way. Emailing us all would work, but then again their mass email listing is more likely stored onto the same Data Center that went down as well.

So, since they must be in need of multiple back up systems to prevent from such issues of not being able to inform everyone immediately, I guess this is what they are currently working on for sure John (Let us hope! they are that is). You are 100% correct in your mode of operandi!

11. ChristopherNguyen profile image37
    ChristopherNguyenposted 11 years ago

If the crashing continues, someone should make a drivers ed post lol

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Still stealing identities I see?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)