I do believe, I do, I do, I do believe in Ghosts

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (60 posts)
  1. elenagarcia profile image66
    elenagarciaposted 11 years ago

Not everybody believes in ghosts, but most everybody has had an experience with a ghost.

What's your ghost experience?

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Usually, the reason people don't believe in ghosts is because they understand ghosts don't exist. They would violate so many physical laws of our universe, let alone biological and chemical laws.

1. Thrailes profile image60
        Thrailesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just out of curiosity, what "physical laws of our universe" preclude the possibility of ghosts?

1. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Was wondering that same thing.
          There are laws which exist within an ant bed and other laws for a bee hive; a herd of horses and a flock of geese. Kinda like parallel universes. When interaction happens between these different universes, these laws are affected; the fire ants usually die. When these universes merge the laws join together as well.
             Some mountain goats are unaware that mankind exist. In their reality .....  we don't … until hunting season begins
          To think that something can not be, simply because it is does not lie within our senses, is absurd.
          I know that there is something going on outside the fog in which mankind exists and sometimes it ventures into the fog.

lol No Jerami, insects are governed by exactly the same laws as everything else.

Then you agree that we are all governed by laws of which we are unaware. The ants are governed by that which they are familar and those which they are not.
              And you will say that we are different because we are aware of these laws.
              We are aware of only those which we are aware of.
              And you seem to be saying that if we are not aware of them ... then they are not revelant.
              Nothing exist outside of the fog which you have chosen to accept???

Correction, the laws YOU are unaware.

And I stand corrected ....    HOW?

Because others are aware.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

Pretty much all of them. Laws of motion, gravity conservation of mass-energy and momentum,, thermodynamics, electrostatic and electromagnetic to name a few. Then, there's chemistry and biology, as well.

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
            Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do not think we have enough knowledge of universal physics to say there are "absolute laws"?

What Are the Types of Parallel Universes?

Physicists talk about parallel universes, but it's not always clear what they mean. Do they mean alternate histories of our own universe, like those often shown in science fiction, or whole other universes with no real connection to ours?

http://physics.about.com/od/astronomy/f … eTypes.htm

1. profile image0
              Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This has become quite the interesting topic

Only some theoretical physicists talk about other universes, usually based on math. However, there is no hard evidence of other universes.

2. Thrailes profile image60

While I’m not really a believer in ghosts, I think it’s a little silly to say definitely that they’re not possible; I also believe that it’s more than a little arrogant to claim that the “physical laws of our universe” somehow prohibit their existence.

First, the following laws you cited as examples wouldn’t apply:
            Law of Motion
            Law of Gravity
            The Law of Conservation of Mass
            The Law of Conservation of Momentum
            Thermodynamics
            ...and while it could be argued that Electrostatics and Electromagnetics apply (personally, I don’t think they do), there is no fundamental law in either of them that says “ghosts” are impossible.

As for the Law of Conservation of Energy, it more than adequately provides for the continued existence of bioelectric energy, even after death. When you couple that with Quantum Entanglement, there is more than enough “reasonable doubt” on the subject; certainly enough to make it foolish to call someone irrational for choosing to believe it.

Yes, they do apply, along with a host of other laws.

lol You really have no idea what you're talking about.

1. Thrailes profile image60

Okay then professor, enlighten us; explain to me what gravity has to do with Ghosts? Explain what motion, and the Conservation of Mass have to do with supernatural phenomenon. Clue us in to the intricacies of Thermodynamics that preclude the possibility of life after death.

You apparently seem to have extensive knowledge in Chemistry, Bio-Chem, Physics, Engineering, and Quantum Mechanics, so by all means, explain away...

I have no problem with explaining it.

Since, there isn't any evidence for ghosts, could you please describe to me what exactly ghosts are comprised, their properties and characteristics and by what mechanisms they can interact with our physical world, how we see them and from what sources of energy they extract?

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
                    Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What is a photon made of:

A photon is an elementary particle, the quantum of light and all other forms of electromagnetic radiation, and the force carrier for the electromagnetic force, even when static via virtual photons. The effects of this force are easily observable at both the microscopic and macroscopic level, because the photon has no rest mass; this allows for interactions at long distances. Like all elementary particles, photons are currently best explained by quantum mechanics and exhibit wave–particle duality, exhibiting properties of both waves and particles. For example, a single photon may be refracted by a lens or exhibit wave interference with itself, but also act as a particle giving a definite result when its position is measured.
                    The modern photon concept was developed gradually by Albert Einstein to explain experimental observations that did not fit the classical wave model of light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon

2. Thrailes profile image60

So your "proof" that ghosts don't exist is the fact that no one has proven that they do exist; and you don't see the inherit problem with that type of logic?

Let me pose it this way: did gravity exist before we discovered what it was that was holding us to the ground? Was heliocentrism always the way things worked, or did the Sun orbit the Earth until Galileo discovered otherwise? Now obviously, these are just exaggerations to prove a point, but the logic is the same.

Saying that something doesn't exist, simply because we have no proof of it's existence is flawed logic at best.

2. profile image0

I lived in an old plantation house in South Carolina.  I would sit in the kitchen and hear old fashioned clunky shoes walking around in the attic.  At first I was scared half to death afraid to move.  I noticed this only when I was in the kitchen, not doing anything, just sitting at the table.  So, I started to talk to the footsteps.  You could tell it was a woman by the sounds across the attic floor.  Yes, I even got brave and looked in the attic and there was nothing up there, nothing that could make this sound.  I asked her questions of who she was and what she was doing there.  I talked about the Civil War to her and told her she could pass over to the other side as her family was waiting for her. The footsteps slowly happened less and less until one day I just never heard them again.  Yes, ghosts do exhist.

You contradict yourself.

1. profile image0

you don't necessarily have to 'see' ghosts.  You can feel their presence, they make noises, they move items.  They are souls who are stuck between one realm and another.

Sorry, but souls have never been shown to exist.

1. profile image0

Actually without a soul, there wouldn't be human life.

lol How little you understand human life. Can you show me a soul? Obviously, doctors are missing something in the human body which you apparently know all about?

1. Taurus2 profile image57
                  Taurus2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ok Trouble, a doctor can't create life from scratch, biological life. Let alone consciousness and stuff. lol

Don't waste your day and night here, wannabe scientist. Get a life.

So what? Is there a point to that?

Typical insults.

3. twosheds1 profile image60
      twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub about this subject, if you're interested.

Why do ghosts always appear clothed? Did their clothes die with them?

4. elenagarcia profile image66
      elenagarciaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe in ghosts because I have experienced them many times in my life. I see and hear them. Believe me or don't. It makes me no nevermind. I know what I know.  I invite others to share their stories.

2. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

I haven't seen a full form ghost but recently orbs have been appearing in photos I've taken on my visits to woods and parks with my boyfriend..ooooohhhhhhh
    yikes

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.  While digital cameras are certainly designed to receive and use the same frequencies our eyes do, I'm sure there is some overlap into higher or lower frequencies. 

Any idea of what that might be?  UV light?  IR?  Radio signals?  If we could find what is stimulating the photo receptors on a camera but not in the eye, we could put forth an actual search for paranormal things like orbs with cameras specifically designed to receive that wavelength of light.

1. twosheds1 profile image60
        twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What makes you think that "orbs" are paranormal?

3. cryptid profile image95
    cryptidposted 11 years ago

The point of the paranormal is that is exists outside of the scope of our understanding of the world.  We should never assume we are at the apex of our intellectual evolution.  It closes our minds to so many possibilities we never would have imagined had we assumed we already had all the answers.

I believe in them because I've had a few experiences and I think the evidence is compelling enough to suggest something is going on.  What it is I can't say, but if you add up all the eyewitness accounts and other evidence there is clearly some sort of phenomenon here, and it can't all be explained by a bit of under-done potato.

You just contradicted yourself.

1. cryptid profile image95
        cryptidposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't see how.  If I witness something science can't explain by the rules of our current understanding that's paranormal by definition.  Where is the contradiction?

If there were evidence, it would be within the scope of our understanding.

However, there is no evidence for ghosts.

1. profile image0

You are a sceptic my friend.  Keep an open mind.

But, not so much as to let my brains fall out. Keeping an open mind does not mean one accepts the ridiculous conclusions of someone who holds irrational beliefs.

1. profile image0

The best part of being human is that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.  Just as you have yours, I have mine.

Yes, you are free to hold ridiculous beliefs that contradict reality. lol

Your's is Evolution, Trouble. Irrational, bacterium becoming human. Laughable!

2. Taurus2 profile image57

Evidence? What evidence you want? Are you grim-jawed not to believe it until a spirit pulls your blanket? Ok, good luck with that! lol Anyway, evidence may come in many forms. If you're a closed minded hypocrite, then it won't get inside.

Then, don't be a closed minded hypocrite.

Applies to the green problem lol

3. cryptid profile image95

There's tons of evidence of the paranormal.  EVPs, video, photographic.  In fact there is more evidence than ever these days, with everyone deciding they are a paranormal researcher.  Just like any evidence, some of it can be written off in one way or another, and some can't.

There are a great many things in science that were beyond our understanding, until one day they weren't.  If scientists always stuck with the what they understood to be true instead of thinking beyond their constraints and imagining the "impossible" the Earth would still be flat and I'd be chiseling this on a hunk of stone instead of typing it.

1. profile image0

You go!

Baloney.

Sorry, but there is no evidence.

Irrelevant.

1. cryptid profile image95

big_smile Fair enough.

Your mind is made up, and that's fine, but I do believe there is an inherent danger in believing you have this universe all figured out.  Something incredible could happen right in front of you, but you won't see it if your eyes, and your mind, are closed.

It has nothing to do with my mind being made up. Incredible things have happened, but ghosts and goblins were not the answers, they're just childish fairy tales.

Are you sure they are just tales? lol

4. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

I don't believe in ghosts, but I like to get together with friends and go to haunted houses or watch a scary movie and then go on a late night graveyard walk. Even though I don't actually believe we'll see anything/be haunted, it's fun to feed off of the energy of friends and scare yourself.

And I have been known to use Ouija boards with friends, if only to manipulate the game to my advantage....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)