My cat needs to vomit

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 14 years ago

My cat has had an upper respiratory infection for about a year now.  I took her to the vets several times and they gave her some anitbiotics and told me that it should clear up on it's own because it is a virus.  So I wait and she still is coughing and hacking. I know the phlegm is coming up but she keeps swallowing it back down.  This is a cycle and she just needs to get it out of her body instead of re-circulating it. 

The question is:  What can I give her to make her vomit that stuff up and stop the cycle so she can start healing?  It needs to be over the counter or something I already have in my kitchen.

2. Phoenix54 profile image54
    Phoenix54posted 14 years ago

Um, Im not an epxpert but there are diesese's out there that come with your cats symptom. I had a cat do those things when I was younger and he eventually started to throw up and snot. It was nasty. They figured out he had cat luekemia. Back then, they dint know much about it. Maybe you should get some labs done and check it out at least.

Good luck though.

Lady Guinevereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I already had her checked out and they said it was the virus that goes around all the cats during the winter.  Only she has had it much longer than any of the strays or indoor cats.  They only could give her anti-biotics twice becaseu it wasn't doing anything for a virus infection.  They just told me that she would have to let it run it's course.  But a year!  I think that is way too long when no other cats have it now.

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Hi LG -- First, I love your new avatar! Gorgeous!
    As for your poor kitty, I suggest you find a new vet. Antibiotics don't work on viruses and the vet should know this.
    Why would they give your cat 2 rounds of antibiotics?
    It sounds like your cat could have allergies, in which case steroids would be better suited than antibiotics.

I hope your baby gets better. A year is a looonnnngggg time to be sick! MM

To tell you the truth I think they just wanted top push the drugs.  I think it is allergies too, but I cannot find plain Benedryl in the stores around here.  It is all with other stuff in it.  If I can get her to expell the plegm I think that would be a great start.  Seh has not thrown up since she got this and that makes me wonder, especially when the other dats have done with their hariballs and stuff.  I had a cat in here in a crate with the same last year and she projectiled that nasty stuff all over the living room floor and of the large dog cage we had her in.  In two days time she was clear of any sniffle or anything.
      I have a homeo[athy book for my animals and it states tht Ipecac helps with the vomiting, but I want her to vomit not the opposite.  Maybe I will call another vet tomorrow if no one has any suggestions this evening.

4. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

We had the same problem with one of our cats, and suspect that he may have asthma. He seems to be at his worst when the pollen flies about.

Maybe you could see if there is anything that might be irritating his lungs and try to eliminate it - keep him indoors if the pollen count is high or there is a lot of dust in the air. smile

I think she has allergies because when I opened the window a few weeks ago she got much worse.  She is an indoor cat right now, but when she first got it last year she was totally outdoors--her choice then.  Her name is Little Bits and she is a VERY sensitve and scairdy Cat.  Last year she had a bad cut on the base of her tail and it took me three months to get her inside.  That is also when she picked up this sinus problem.  It is very difficult to treat her because she doesn't always come when I want to pet her and will also run away when I want to pet her.  So if I get her once or the first time I may not get to administer anything for a few day later.  Not good when trying to make her well!  I can't keep her in a crate all the time either.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking the same thing ,because I had flu I thought it was pneumonia ,they xrayed said my lungs were fine but the persistant coughing and rattling breathing was due to ASTHMA and ALLERGIES....no amount of cough mixture will help asthma ,only steriods to open the airways to get rid of the phelgm...sudden change in temps further upsets the airways and stress...hope your pet improves, inhalers are expensive!! ( the ventolin etc) smile

5. The Empire profile image67
    The Empireposted 14 years ago

I know that hydrogen peroxide will induce vomiting in dogs.  Maybe it'll work for cats?

Good luck, I hope she gets better!

6. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

If your cat coughs up phlegm and then swallows it, this will not return it to her lungs, but into her stomach where it should pass along with normal foods etc. Making her vomit therefore is unlikely to make much difference to her condition.
    Hope this offers some reassurance at least smile

7. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

PS. It could be possible she has feline AIDS if she is struggling to recover from illnesses that other cats recover from quickly. Feline AIDS will reduce the efficiency of her immune system drastically and is sadly incureable and  not preventable by innoculation.

I know all about Feline Aids and wrote a hub on it.  I had a cat die from it--well we had to put him to sleep.

Back then they didn't have the comfort things that one can do now.  He was put to sleep in 1992.

Thank you for your help and appreciate you coming here quickly.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Vaseline is supposed to help cats bring up hairballs, maybe it would help you.

I could make a joke about it and say buy a new white rug and the cat will throw up on it smile

I hope your kitty does get better soon.

Hahahahaha I have such a white rug and yes I know exactly what you mean.  We don't have it down now.  It is esier to clean up that stuff on vinyl flooring.

I might try that and see if it does help.  I have done it with all my cats and did not bother them.  Like I said, she's a tough one to catch and give anything too.  I also have the hairball stuff, but they won't go near it!  They say cats love the stuff, but they haven't tried it on my cats!  Anything that I get that states cats love it, mine don't.

Thank all of you for the help.  I really do appreciate it LOTS!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)