Republican State Rep. Says "Slavery Was A Blessing For Black People"

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (73 posts)
  1. Praetor profile image61
    Praetorposted 11 years ago

Yeah, so a Republican state representative from from Arkansas, Jon Hubbard, said that: "Slavery Was A Blessing For Black People". Here is a couple of examples of some of his other pearls of wisdom:

"Wouldn't life for blacks in America today be more enjoyable and successful if they would only learn to appreciate the value of a good education"

...will it ever become possible for black people in the United States of America to firmly establish themselves as inclusive and contributing members of society within this country?"

..the immigration issue, both legal and illegal, will lead to planned wars or extermination. Although now this seems to be barbaric and uncivilized, it will at some point become as necessary as eating and breathing...

Here is the URL if you want to read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/0 … 43661.html

So, my first question is: where in the hell do they find these people?

Other than that, I'd like to get your opinion on the comments: do you agree/disagree/no opinion.

Enjoy forum... this should be good.

http://tf2chan.net/projects/src/132051635885.gif

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Love that animated GIF smile

Also, isn't it a bit hard to get a good education when your school does not have the money for new textbooks, etc?

2. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I understand why he is taking a long view, and something evil turned out to be "good" in some sense in the long run; however, he didn't claim he wished it could've been different.  He simply said, it was good, stop complaining.

It would've been better to have no slavery, and not praise the institution itself.  I think this man would've been a slave owner in a former time.

3. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It get's better/worse (depending on your perspective). In his book "God's Law the Only Political Solution", Arkansas Republican legislator Charlie Fuqua has written:

"The death penalty for rebellioius children is not something to be taken lightly. The guidelines for administering the death penalty to rebellious children are given in Deut 21:18-21:

This passage does not give parents blanket authority to kill their children. They must follow the proper procedure in order to have the death penalty executed against their children.
      Even though this procedure would rarely be used, if it were the law of land, it would give parents authority. Children would know that their parents had authority and it would be a tremendous incentive for children to give proper respect to their parents."

Perhaps a more apt title for his book would have been "God's law, the Final Solution".

Original story:
      http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/ar … s-children

4. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Where do they find them? They run for office and then they are elected. If he is reelected then it proves that he represents his constituents, if not then goodbye. You have proved what we already know, some people are racist!

5. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What totally goes beyond my understanding is how one group of people could possibly ever think that by either buying or capturing another people and enslaving them as anything one human being could do to another could ever be acceptable behavior. I still have problems with Jefferson and his beligerence to free his slaves upon his death. This is something at least Washington did. They say hindsight is 20/20 but who could have ever predicted with any surety that what would have happened to the transported Africans had they been allowed to stay in their home land. Had they been allowed to raise their children or taken care of their elderly what a differnce that could have made on the African continent. The white slavers severed the family and community ties and worse yet raised generations upon generations of of slaves disjointed from a family unit or some basic rights to raise their offspring with any semblence of self worth. I cannot and will not accept any idea that in any way that slavery was a blessing for black people.

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Dumb things for Hubbard to say. Ironically, I've had numerous black students tell me that they saw slavery as a "good thing" for modern African Americans - in the long run. When I first heard this, I was shocked and asked them to explain. They said if their ancestors hadn't suffered the evils of slavery, they (the students) might be living in Africa and starving. Interesting pespective, to say the least.

Praetorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can understand the theory behind the statement, and it's not hard to see that life is certainly more comfortable here than in Africa,but it's kind of hard to argue unintended consequences as a benefit; it's another Post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy.

As a Republican myself, it drives me up a wall when we have to deal with crap like this (or Todd Akin), it hijacks the new cycle, and derails any substantive discussions we could have issues and

2. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had a black professor tell me the same thing. He compared slavery with indentured servitude - both were nearly equal - and both offered the poorest of the poor a chance to come here.  Both had their downsides, of course, and we understand today that it's horrible to think one person can own another person.

The comment on education bears discussion. The dropout rate of African American kids is much higher than that of other races. And it's not about throwing more money at a bad school system. It's about creating an atmosphere where kids feel the value of an education. After all - homeschooled kids traditionally score higher than public school kids.

There are still some cultural issues that need to be addressed.

3. blenus profile image61
      blenusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

With all due respect, those students were (are) pretty ignorant to believe that hogwash...  Slavery was not a good thing for blacks, just like  Jim Crow, open discrimination and segregation was not good for black folks...  The more than 5,000 blacks lynched were not good for black folks...  No one knows how the countries of Africa would have turned out had the Europeans remained where they were.  The Europeans did not bring civilization to Africa, as matter of fact, what they brought was far from civil.  I guess those same black students believe the native Americans are beter off today because of the Europeans stealing their country.  And one other thing, just because blacks are born in this country does not mean they would have been born in Africa had things remained the same.  Don't convince black children they should be greatful for slavery in this country, it shows a lot of disrespect for the slaves and it implies those who stole the Africans from freedom into slavery were some sort of savior...  get real and stop sugar coating what slavery was in this country.

Did you even bother to read Habee's post before you commented?

1. blenus profile image61

Yes I did, and she claimed black students thought slavery was good for them because their ancestors suffered for them.  I see that as ignorant and very disrespectful and short sighted.

She didn't "claim" that her black students thought slavery was good for them, she "told" us what her students said to her.

She was relating a story, not advocating her position.

Does not matter; if her black students "told" her that, they are ignorant of reality and need to go and learn the history of slavery in this country and they are shameless to minimize the reality of slavery, regardless of their current status.

You need to run- not walk, back to UCF and demand that you be better prepared for life.

She wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything; she was relating a personal experience, telling us what her students said to her, and you accuse her of "sugar coating" slavery.

Who the hell do you think you are?  Get off your high horse and kiss your own ass.  You are the reason blacks dson't vote republican because you can't keep your damn mouth shut on subjects you have no understanding of...

You are, without a doubt the most ignorant person I've seen on the boards in a long time (and believe me, that's saying something).

2. profile image0

This thread took an emotional turn when it should have remained factual and academic. As I said before - my black professor taught us nearly the same thing. The point being that blacks (in today's society) are better off here in the US, than in Africa, hence, although slavery was very bad - it provided a long-term benefit for the descendants of the slaves who were able to live here once freed.

This field of study does not suggest that slavery was good - it only suggests that there is sometimes a silver lining around the dark cloud.

It doesn't do anyone any good to deny facts. They are what they are. We don't know how blacks in Africa would have progressed had they not sold each other (other tribes) into the slave trade. We DO know that most of the blacks in the US today would not relocate to modern day Africa if given the chance.

We are forgetting that there were actually white slaves and white indentured servants who were treated just as poorly as black slaves. Most of the descendants of these people would probably say that it is a benefit to them (today) that their ancestors were in the predicament they were in two centuries ago.

We can do both - we can denounce slavery at the same time that we recognize that there was a silver lining on that cloud.

4. KFlippin profile image60
      KFlippinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good answer, nice frank honest response.  One would hope Americans that came from Africa, Ireland, other countries where their forebears were in dire straits, would at this stage of their lives, their generational history, be damn glad their forebears made it to the USA.

Africans were brought here against their will.  They were stacked in the cargo holds like animals.  They were chained in place, living in their feces and piss, getting sick and some dying on the trip over...  Not surprised some folks don't understand this one fact...

1. profile image0

That was a travesty, blenus. But, are the descendants of those slaves better off today because they live here?

It's an interesting question, but it doesn't excuse the wrongs perpetrated on their ancestors.

Let me ask you, when did the "better" quality of life of those decendants start?  I know my family history in this country that goes back to 1812, when the master got horny one evening and raped a 14 year old slave girl and nine months later a child was born.  That child was a slave her entire life, her kids were slaves their entire lives.  After emancipation, the decendants of those ex-slaves had to deal with discrimination and segregation.  In 1918, my grand mother's brother and sister in law were both lynched,  he was lynched because the gang of angry white folks thought he had knowledge of a white man who was killed.  His wife who was 8 months pregnant tried to get the federal government involved, she was lynched, the 8 month old "fetus's" skull was crushed by one of the men of the angry gang....  My family was never allowed to retrieve any of the bodies, because they were all burnt....  Yes, I guess they were thankful...  My father voted for the first time in 1968....  He was 50 years old....  He had a hard life, taking jobs that paid enough to just stay alive, and raise his children...  It's not the ancestors who came here as slaves who's made my life better, but those who fought against segregation and discrimination...  Those who fought for better schools for me, those who fought to ensure I can have the same opportunites to participate and succeed in this country...  The slaves did not have a better quality of life, nor did their decendents of the 1800 and early 1900's.  I remember the days of segregation (yes, I was a young boy, but I still remember the 4 bathrooms in public buildings in Orlando)...

I know many folks see my point of view as just being oppositional, but when you look at the history of black families who are decendants of slaves, you'll see much wider picture outside of what you've been looking at since the civil rights acts or the voting rights act.

I notice no one says that whites are better off because of their ancestors coming to America; but of course the immigrants coming from Europe came because they wanted to...

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
              Petra Vlahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I could not agree with you more. Everything you said is true and needed to be said. A few years back I was interviewed (during a survey) at the Smithsonian in D.C. about the "eventual necessity of creating a Museum dedicated to black history". Imagine that? - "eventual necessity".
              I gave the young lady a piece of my mind and I started with "it is a shame you even ask such a question and more of a shame it has not been done yet" To this day I don't know if the Museum of Black History has been build.
              America should be ashamed for what has happened in the past and just as ashamed for not trying to face up to reality and honor the memory of the ones that helped a great deal to build this nation

Thanks, I almost didn't say anything because I was gagged for three days for speaking my mind....  There's a lot of black history in this country, and you can find it in pockets throughout the country.  I live close to a community called "Eatonville", it is the oldest black incorporated community in the country.  But, there should be a black history museum in Washington, D.C., considering slaves were a big part of the building of the whitehouse and many buildings in the area...  But thanks again for reading my perspective on this issue...

2. gmwilliams profile image85
                gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Petra.    Blacks were highly instrumental in building this country.     Until recently, the contributions of Blacks to many facets of American society was barely acknowledged.    Blacks in America were often marginalized and viewed negatively.   Blacks have made wondrous contributions to American society, believe it or not.

2. profile image0

Blenus, I don't doubt your stories and I don't make light of them. We're just trying to get at the facts here. No one questions that slaves had it very hard. No one questions that blacks had it hard even after slavery ended.

What we're talking about is whether blacks in the US today are better off than blacks in Africa. Pretty much everyone agrees that they are.

That doesn't justify slavery - but it does indicate that the descendants of slaves have a better life in the US today than the descendants of Africans who were not sold into slavery.

My professor, who was black, explained that very well. He also said that not looking at the situation from all angles is a disservice to truth and history. His idea was that there is a black subculture today that limits what blacks can achieve by labeling them as the victims of yesterday. It was a 3-month class so I can't repeat everything here, but he made no excuses for his lack of obtaining his goals just because his ancestors were slaves. He didn't allow black students to use those excuses either. He got some opposition at first, but by the end of the class, those same students were thanking him.

The point is that you won't minimize the horrors of slavery by admitting that blacks in the US (as a whole) are better off than blacks in Africa today. And that's really all that we're talking about here.

Well, you didn't answer if whites are better off today because of their decendants...
                With all due respect, your professor sounds like he needed to go and study his history a little more.  Anyone who think blacks fail or succeed in this country "today" because of slavery must be smoking something very bad...

Blacks in this country are not a "sub-culture"...  As long as folks think of blacks in that manner, they are crapping on the sacrifices of the ancestors of blacks.
                But, I'm just expressing my opinion, and I don't see things the way others few blacks today and how slavery played or did not play a role in our lives today...

1. profile image0

Well, it's obvious you're not really looking for a discussion. It's okay, no one's forcing you to give up your ideas. We're just presenting other points of view.

I sincerely doubt my old professor smoked anything. He was/is a very successful black leader. But I can see it's pointless to tell you that. You appear to have your mind set on a specific way of thinking and there's no room for other ideas.

I wish you luck in whatever you choose to think or pursue.

Same to you, but you seem to have your mind set on your own specific points of view as well, and you think your point of view is the only valid one.  Live long and prosper...

3. TheMagician profile image86
    TheMagicianposted 11 years ago

The fact that people like this even make it to state rep. positions makes me incredibly unhappy.

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That and the mentally lazy votrse that get those clowns into office!

4. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 11 years ago

may be Jon Hubbard needs similar blessing smile

5. Seth Winter profile image81
    Seth Winterposted 11 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7256177_f248.jpg

I'd agree their life is probably better here.

Did you know Africa is responsible for 72 percent of all HIV deaths a year?

And according to a Congressional Research done in 2000 around 50,000 people are victims of human trafficking each year.

(Picture is supposed to be a mortality rate chart but it doesn't appear to be working as I thought it would.  The dark colors are less then 40 years)

1. junko profile image69
      junkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would ask the lawmaker, should Jews feel blessed by the Holocaust? Should Native Americans feel blessed to own casinos?  Should today's Japanese feel bless to be the only people to be Nuked? Maybe, people feel blessed in Africa in spite of modernday slavery and exploitations Slavery was an evil blessing to create American Capitalism. The lawmaker should know America owes the Negro for services rendered when most southern white men were Lazy and Entitled as is now.

1. Seth Winter profile image81
        Seth Winterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Entitlement actually hurts people more then helping Junko besides the American Gov. fought to end slavery and Union soldiers died for the cause.  Lets look at the Indians with their reservations and free gov. money, have you seen the alcoholic rate of Indians? It's pretty high. Blacks have had the idea that they are entitled to a free handout due to slavery and I think it's one of the things holding them back.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Then why are there so many white people on welfare and other programs? The majority in fact...

Whites are still the majority but if you look at percentages based on race blacks are higher then whites. Or at least that's what I found from a brief internet search. But why turn this forum post into a black vs white topic...

Indian Reservations, the ability to build casinos and free gov. money has hurt the native American population way more then small pox blankets ever could. Same with African American's they are told that the world owes them something for something an ancestor had happen to them, and they are given hand outs. NAACP, Affirmative Action, the list goes on. Entitlement at one time might of been helpful but now it only breeds racism and laziness.

If anyone is going to comment negatively on my comment about affirmative action please checkout Regents of the University of California v. Bakke..it will be one of my main arguing point. Although the recent NAACP scandal dealing with specialized schools and test scores might be an arguing point as well.

2. junko profile image69

seth, you completely missed my points. What.................... Handouts???? Racism held them back, it replaced slavery. If you don't understand you won't understand. Whites are the majority on welfare because they are the majority in America, uninvited writer.

1. junko profile image69

I seldom comment in forums because of people like you seth. Some people don't have ears to hear and I will never make you understand what I say because you need to feel like you are exceptional and better than.

Lol well Junko I comment on forums because of people like you. You make things interesting.  A good many of the people here seemed to somewhat agree and you (and a few others) seem to be completely against the idea.  Isn't the goal here to have a discussion?

The handout's I was talking about...black only scholarships, NAACP, Affirmative Action, etc.

2. Marquis profile image65
        Marquisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That was a crazy statement. You are mixing apples with oranges.

6. Marquis profile image65
    Marquisposted 11 years ago

Well, Blacks in the United States make more money and live longer than Blacks in Africa. Look at the stats. Had slavery not happened, many Blacks here would be impoverished or dead by now in many of the Black third world nations due to civil strife and/or famine.

That is what he meant -

1. junko profile image69

Who are you speaking for Marquis? What is the point you are making? Are you trying to justify the Arkansas Lawmaker point and not mine? If Africans controlled the wealth of Africa and the white man didn't have the first machine guns, would the African reality be different?

1. profile image0

That's a moot point because it calls for conjecture. I'm not backing either point although I see both sides. We can only deal with what's real - not live in a pretend world.

1. junko profile image69

REAL in a HP forum, c'mon man. There are many Great pretenders who casn't handle the truth in forums, Howard there are no referees here. The only hope is, all lies die when the truth is told.

1. profile image0

That's my point, Junko. The truth is that there is no evidence that America's black population would be any better off had their ancestors not come here as slaves. While it was horrible (and very wrong) for the slaves - today's blacks are much better off here than they are in Africa.

I think that's the point. It doesn't justify slavery by any means, but shows that the descendants of slaves have a better life here today because their ancestors suffered long ago.

1. Levertis Steele profile image74
              Levertis Steeleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with most of your point, but we have a better life because whites slavers were forced to free slaves, the law no longer supported them, and the fight against Jim Crow, an extension of slavery, was practically won as late as 1964, although some problems still lingered. We have a better life because God's made it all possible. For exaaaample, blacks continued to fight for simple rights at the voting polls. Some whites, whose race did not protect them on the side of blacks, fought courageously.

As a young girl, I found myself in what seemed like a war when I joined a group to demonstrate at the polls where whites violated and taunted black voters in the 60's. I thought that I would be killed. It was pathetic ignorance to me even as a child. I volunteered to do it, althought I was afraid. I was not able to understand why these grown white men were so intimidated by children and two young adults, our summer job supervisors who happened to be white. Suppose we had been young white children, and black men were taunting us? Those black men would have been hanged, burned, or badly hurt by a mob that the law would have been unable to see. Many who risked their lives for simple civil rights of blacks are very much alive and well today. I repeat, we found ourselves close to the end of extended slavery (Jim Crow). Yes, many whites risked their lives, as well, to fight for black freedom because they recognized the difference between wrong and right. Those were the true White Christians, not pretenders who twisted God's Word to justify their wrongdoing.

Before anyone continues to form an opinion of me, I have already forgiven all of those who were against black freedom, but I can never forget what happened. Our pasts should not be forgotten, but used to improve the present and the rest of our lives.

2. Marquis profile image65

Junko, topics like this can lead to racial discussions rather quickly. Even though that politician was stressing the truth, I would not have said anything.

I bet had he said that Black on Black violence is worse than White on White violence, that would have been taken racially even though stats back it up.

1. Levertis Steele profile image74

You are right, but compare any two groups and one will likely come out on top. All violence is bad. That white boy who killed those 20 kids and 6 adults in Connecticut did not give me any consolation because he was not black. There are many other types of crime, and whites are worse in many of them. So, what? All lives and people are valuable, and all races have criminal problems. Black gangs are often profiles in the media, but there are more non-black gangs in America, and nearly all of the top ten most violent are non-black. So what? All gangs are dangerous, and I could care less about having lower stats. No matter the race, all are affected. Bullets do not care who they penetrate.

2. Seth Winter profile image81

Just to add some fuel to this fire....Junko you were talking about what would happen if the Africans controlled their country instead of whites. Ever hear of a guy called Mugabe's? This guy he's a war hero to the people, he is also African.  Once he was in power he used his office to take over various farms owned by white people (forcibly) and then gave then back to the African's. At the time they had so much food they were exporting like crazy....and now they need to be shipped food.

1. Marquis profile image65

Let us not forget about Idi Amin either.

2. Levertis Steele profile image74

Whites invaded Africa and took the land from blacks just as they did in America, taking from the natives. They were wrong then.

You said, " Once he [Mugabe] was in power he used his office to take over various farms owned by white people (forcibly) and then gave then back to the African's."

There is more to their failures than what you are writing.
          "gave them back" implies that the land was taken from blacks first. Because the Africans might not have known the farming business well, gives no one the right to have what's theirs. If I own a car that I cannot drive, do you have a right to take it or criticize me because I cannot drive it. So food had to be shipped in to the blacks afterwards. Consider that restitution. Seriously, if the whites rightfully owned this land and it was not taken from blacks in modern times, it was wrong of Mugabe to take it. I am not very familiar with the whole story, although one hubber wrote a little about it.

You all need to stop taking folks stuff, and there won't be any conflicts. big_smile

Yes, such a topic can cause a lot of feuding because it is so controversial, but it is an interesting one.

3. Levertis Steele profile image74

I hate those ugly yellow smiley faces. I wanted my colon and capital d. big_smile

3. Marquis profile image65

For a long time, the Africans DID control the wealth in Africa. And it is not the fault that White Man was able to advance faster technologically than the African. Remember at one time, Egypt was one of the most advance places in the world.

There is no justification for slavery no matter how you try to paint a positive picture. I am black American and was never a slave, but I did endure the last of the law-supported Jim Crow Laws, an extension of slavery. That was hell.

7. profile image0
    matama ellieposted 11 years ago

I find it offensive as a Black woman in Africa when people make judgements of us based on what the media tells them.How many of you commenting have actually visited the continent and gotten an unbiased view? Like all other countries, we have poor people , we have the middle class and we have the super rich.

Yes we have poor governance, but most countries are less than 60 years old and we are improving. We have whites, blacks, Asians, etc as part of one country. The middle class in this continent is increasing at a faster rate than ever before.

While we may not have some of the technology that other Western countries have, we are not stagnant either. The economy is growing(while you guys have recession). We still have tribal wars at times, but not in all areas of the country or continent.We have less luxuries, but we also have less communicable diseases(unfortunately with many of us copying the 'West', these numbers are increasing).

And no, WE DO NOT ALL LIVE IN TREES OR IN SLUMS AND WE ARE NOT HAIRY MONKEY!!. I am shouting because i have seen a few very ignorant people in the Western world who seem to think this.

So please before you talk about slavery (in our case it was colonialism and it was bad), try to read a little bit more and educate yourself.Avoid biased news which have one fixed view of Africa as a whole and ask around.

We hate our colonized past and we have tried to move on from it.I will be a liar if i say that all of us have any love for some of the governments involved.Taking away someone's freedom can never be justified.If that happens then  everyone will start excusing evil things.(Oh, he raped them, but at least he did not kill them; oh, he did not let them suffer when they died blah, blah, blah).
    For the African -American community members who do not want to have anything to do with where they came from...Ha! No matter what you do you will never not be Black.There is nothing wrong with your race.(Some blacks have racist views that make them think they are more superior than their counterparts from my continent-i have seen them).

That kind of thinking that makes you think that you cannot have anything to do with your fellow blacks is a sign of a still enslaved mind (here we call it neo-colonized mind and plenty of stupid people still suffer from the disease).

And please AFRICA IS NOT ONE STATE!!! There are plenty of religions, tribes, races in the African continent as well as over 50 countries.Please people , buy an Atlas and familiarize yourselves with the map of the world.

If you need more information, feel free to visit Africa in General and KENYA in particular.
    In conclusion, slavery has never been a blessing for anybody.Until you have suffered from its effects personally, you need to just stop reasoning like that.It is an insult to all those who died fighting for everybody's freedom.

Very very good m'lady.  You stated things very well and expressed a point of view that many here will never agree with nor see.  I applaud your speaking out on this issue, because those who try to justify slavery and todays black Americans...  Thank you for your point of view...

1. profile image0
        matama ellieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Glad my rantings found a home somewhere.Injustice should never be justified.

You speak truth.

8. aware profile image68
    awareposted 11 years ago

Africa isn't a blessing these days.

9. Levertis Steele profile image74
    Levertis Steeleposted 11 years ago

If some think that slavery was good for blacks, maybe they will be "blessed" enough to become slaves soon and enjoy the "good life." I believe that God re-routed the wrong intentions of slavers and made an escape for the good of slaves, no thanks to the ones who chained them and/or supported slavery. Some people are always trying to twist truth and make a way for wrongdoers to be praised. Should the fools be praised for putting Daniel in the lions' den to be torn in pieces and devoured? No! Because God delivered him, he had a fantastic story to tell. It is not good to be put in the jaws of hell, but it is good to have a Saviour who can deliver. Simply put, God took a wrong and created a right.

10. Xenonlit profile image59
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

The jerk who said that slavery was a blessing for Black People is confederate scum. He is my enemy. He needs to fear Black people. I did not put my life on the line in the military for a confederate to ever be in power, anywhere in my country.

1. profile image0

Xeno, your post almost borders on a threat. Thank you for your military service. Were you aware that the man who made the comment also served?

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

11. annajazz profile image82
    annajazzposted 11 years ago

And, while we are on the topic, lets state how slavery and trickery were great for the Native Americans and how small pocks was just a way to speed up natural selection. Lets not forget how Hitler was great for the Jews, and then there is Stalin and Lenin, two such respectable people. Let applaud slavery of the black people because it brought just as much good as all of these others.

Slavery brought about the separation of families: this was great as everyone knows that love is for the weak.
    Slavery brought about inequality, but that was ok. Because black people are inferior. We can tell that because having black skin means that you are related to Cain and thus you are condemned. 
    Oh, and lets not forget that in the beginning slaves could not understand use. Which was just further prof of their inferior minds. They should be like the white man, able to speak a new language after hearing it for the first time.
    The black man is uneducated because he does not take advantage of schooling. It has nothing to do with very poor public schooling, or lack of money for college. Or even that fact that education was not always offered to the black man.

....ppffttt...please. Where do they find these idiots? Much less put them in office. Slavery was horrible. Horrible isn't even a strong enough word to describe it. Lets put this guy through the ropes of slavery. Sell him into White Slavery and see how he feels in a couple of years.

1. ATexanagain profile image58
      ATexanagainposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah tit for tat, that will show him.

12. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 11 years ago

I believe it was a Republican that wrote and enacted the Emancipation Proclamation.  Or have the revisionists changed that as well.
    I believe the first black senator from SC,  in sometime is a Republican.  George Bush had more black people in his administration than our first 'black' president, Bill Clinton.
    Republicans believe in building up all people, not holding them back just to keep them in their place so they vote for them, as the Dems do.
    Ten poorest cities:
    City, State, % of People Below the Poverty Level
    1. Detroit , MI   32.5%
    2. Buffalo , NY 29.9%
    3. Cincinnati , OH 27.8%
    4. Cleveland , OH 27.0%
    5. Miami , FL 26.9%
    5. St. Louis , MO 26.8%
    7. El Paso , TX 26.4%
    8. Milwaukee , WI 26.2%
    9. Philadelphia , PA 25.1%
    10. Newark , NJ 24.2%

What do the top ten cities (over 250,000 population) with the highest poverty rate all have in common?

Detroit, MI (1st) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961.

Buffalo , NY (2nd) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1954.

Cincinnati , OH (3rd) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1984.

Cleveland , OH (4th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1989.

Miami , FL (5th) has never had a Republican mayor.

St. Louis , MO (6th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1949.

El Paso , TX (7th) has never had a Republican mayor.

Milwaukee , WI (8th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1908.

Philadelphia , PA (9th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1952.

Newark , NJ (10th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1907.

I believe actions speak louder than words.

I don't know about the rest of the cities you quoted, and I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but as someone who was born and raised in South Florida, I can tell you that we have, in fact, had a Republican mayor. Joe Carollo was Mayor during the whole Elian Gonzalez fiasco (which is why he lost reelection).

13. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

There are horrors about slavery that I am certain many people have a bit to hear. Let's just take one example is a runaway slave has been captured in a number of cases they are given the choice by their captors to either have their foot cut off or be castrated-keep in mind the people doing this are not doctors.

Living in the fear every day of your life because the laws of the land uphold the horrors of men up on your race since you are not even considered a human being-does that sound like slavery was good for anybody?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)