The myth of liberal tolerance..From NY Daily News

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (50 posts)
  1. JSChams profile image61
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago
    1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

JS, everybody knows that the New York Daily News is a rightwing rag.
      I am not denying that this sort of stuff can and does come from the left, but when compared to the similar outrages from the right it is like comparing the mass of a pebble to the mass of Planet Earth itself.  MUCh more of this stuff comes from YOUR side and you know it, so you can come off it now......

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's the core of politics, right there.

YOUR side does it more than MY side. It's a universal truth. It doesn't matter what the topic is, or which side is yours/mine.

The universal truth, Jaxson, is that human nature says that we all get involved in this to a certain degree, but my side has not been guilty to trying to silence the others expression by means of the ballot through legislative and legalistic trickery. Your people are scared of popular input into policy decisions. Could it be true that conservative ideas are recognized as less attractive and desirable even by those that promote them?

1. Backwater Sage profile image59
            Backwater Sageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What? No trickery? Please, the conservatives are radical and the liberals are closed minded. Vote independent, third party and let them know we are done with their evil ways.

Right now there is just as much chance of a viable third party as one would assign to the possibility of warp drive. I have to work with what we have, when another viable alternative comes along that makes sense, I would consider it. Who is to say that a third party would not be like either of the other 2?

1. JayeWisdom profile image89
                JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Every voter planning to vote independent, third party, in this election will be throwing away a vote and (depending on their perspective) possibly "throwing" the election to a candidate that would not be their first choice. This happened when people voted for Ross Perot years ago. It would take years of work--pre-campaign, pre-election grassroots work--to prepare a third party to actually be a challenger.  It can't possibly happen this close to an election.  I mentioned the third party candidate to a friend, and she said, "Who is THAT?"  Most people don't even know!  Only the die-hard indies do, and they won't all vote that way--especially the ones who realize they're tossing their vote to make a statement that will be forgotten by Inauguration Day.  Those who truly believe a third political party is needed in the U.S. should work hard for the next four years (after this election) to try and bring it to fruition.  But, as Credence2 said, "Who is to say that a third party would not be like either of the other 2?"

Yes, indeed, I remember George Wallace, John Anderson and Ross Perot as serious third party contenders. And as you say, the following for any such party would take years to become a viable political force. I am a bit selfish and do not want to let the bad guys win because I do not cast my vote for who I may consider to be the lesser of two evils. The issues today and the circumstances are so dire that I cannot afford 'protest' voting..

JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"the bad guys"

??

You helping me prove my point now?

2. Backwater Sage profile image59
                Backwater Sageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We can change that with some guts. Why wait for something better to come along? Make it happen!

2. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Didn't you learn yor lesson from the last thread you tried this with...

I will let you argue with the article. I agree with it 100%

1. Josak profile image60

Your last article turned out to be a complete fabricated lie and the person who you claimed made the statement in fact did not, I see no reason to doubt this article will be just as reliable.

Go argue with him.
            I have lived all this. I know he's right.

2. JSChams profile image61

I mean I am "the bad guy" so why not act like it?

3. Josak profile image60

Let's sort this out. Calling out individuals is pointless so lets look at the broad statistical facts.

Which states supported slavery and indeed fought for the right to own slaves? Yup predominantly Red States.

Which States had the strongest opposition to desegregation? The Red states of course.

What States have the lowest proportion of interracial marriages? The Red states.

What States have the highest polling for making interracial marriage illegal? Oh the Red states. 29% of Mississippi and 21% of Alabama think it should be ILLEGAL almost 50% and 40% Respectively think it's a bad thing.

52% of Mississippi residents believe Obama is a Muslim and 45% of Arizona Residents do too. (Oh I know this isn't racist right?)

Less than 0.7% of Tea Party members are black.

But of course the greatest proof is the vote, minorities who are in the best place to judge figured you guys out ages ago which is why minorities despite strong religious affiliation always vote to the left.

Keep telling yourselves the left is racist, you aren't fooling anyone. Certainly not fooling anyone old enough to remember the civil rights movement.

1. Repairguy47 profile image61
        Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Government plantation, nope liberals ain't racist at all.

1. Josak profile image60

Good answer big_smile

Typical, no facts, no statistics just bull. tongue

The facts are right in front of you, everyday on TV. You are too ensconced in your hate of anything contradictory to your beliefs to search for the truth. Sorry about your luck.

2. Repairguy47 profile image61
            1. Josak profile image60

I would dearly love to see what "facts" you might be presenting but the link isn't loading for me.

It works for me, maybe your computer doesn't like facts.

2. JSChams profile image61

Works just fine for me. Maybe it's because you have a liberal computer and I have a conservative one. Yours doesn't take real numbers.

1. Josak profile image60

Actually I think it may be because I am overseas.

That's probably right.

2. Josak profile image60

OH I also forgot, which states have the greatest disparity in wealth between whites and blacks? You guessed it.. Red states.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey, Josak, the *facts* are right in front of you on TV, therefore, they *must* be facts, they're on tv.. lol

In your case you may want to watch something other than MSNBC, there are no facts to be found there.

In your case, you may want to consider that there's a whole world beyond the US. We don't get MSNBC, and personally, I prefer to gather data from studies, otherwise known as empirical evidence. I leave the news for the dimwits who actually believe that they may obtain facts from such a source.

Sorry, don't care about the rest of the world, couldn't care less.

How out of character for the repairguy.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, its gonna be ok.

2. Josak profile image60

Hi Hollie, that seems to be the logic tongue .  No mention on what these "facts" are either.

smile

3. Credence2 profile image79

Josak, I could not have said it better myself. You're so good, you remind me of me!!!

1. Josak profile image60

I am truly honored tongue

4. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Two, three examples?  REALLY.  It's a fallacy of hasty generalization.  The woman who attacked Thomas was also African American, so unless she was being racist against herself, that's hardly a case of racism.  It was more mean-spirited than anything.  It also completely ignores the accusations Anita Hill made against him, which he never answered for.  He played politics and called it a "witch hunt," but other women claimed Thomas sexually harassed them also.

Also, 30% of the Democratic party is not saying an African American wasn't born in the United States based on NO evidence, nor are they advocating discrimination against homosexuals and calling it moral, nor did they keep quiet while the white guy ran up the debt, and then become upset when the black guy inherits it.

According to the author's definition though, Republicans and Democrats are actually both pretty tolerant.  I haven't seen any killing in the streets.

This is a home run, another 5 star comment ,Sooner, most appropriate and thanks!

2. Backwater Sage profile image59
    Backwater Sageposted 11 years ago

That's not right! I must warn the unsuspecting. I followed the link, and was exposed to a photo of Bill Maher.

Sorry...

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

When will you get sick of straw man arguments. No one rational thinks either side is perfect. No one irrational will care about your finger pointing.

When the left shuts it down I will shut it down.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, I hope you have nothing else planned for the rest of your life...

There will always be intolerant people on every single side of the political spectrum. That does not mean every single person with that belief is the same.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)