Don't rely on Reddit

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Ninjadater profile image61
    Ninjadaterposted 11 years ago

I just learned something, I tried to post something in their "dating and relationships" site, a short comment about the article, and a link back to here.

Apparently it got deleted, and the admin said something like "age and gender required, and no DAE's (whatever that means)

And referred me to their rules section on the right.  I was kind of perplexed at the vulgarities in which their FAQ, and how arrogant in which they wrote it.

Things like: " No one reads posts with boring, generic titles."

And finally, you could probably call it a profanity, "Keep things civil, and don't be a D***".  Is it necessary to throw in that last part?

Is it run by internet tough guys or something? lol

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is run by the people is is run by,  They are references a pretty common internet meme.

2. Praetor profile image61
      Praetorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You would have much more luck posting your articles to 4Chan. 4Chan is a friendly community of Internet users that like to conduct a free exchange of ideas, all while respecting the diversity of the Internet community.

I've found that the beginners area (just look for the /b/ link up top) to be extremely helpful and accommodating to new members, and a valuable source for information.

Hope this helps you smile
      Praetor.

You are evil.  I like that. wink

1. Praetor profile image61
          Praetorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

wink

2. Ninjadater profile image61

Not sure I understood your last sentence.  " They are references a pretty common internet meme."

Typo.  They are referencing a pretty common meme. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/wheatons-law

3. Greekgeek profile image80
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

If statements like "no one reads posts with generic, boring titles" bother you, you may be missing out on a lot of good, sound advice.  That statement is true not just on Reddit, but on the entire web.

And an internet meme is -- guys, help me here -- a trope, a widely-known in-joke although not necessarily funny, a unit of cultural meaning like "Where's the beef? It's a video, image, or saying that takes the internet by storm and is recognized in many places. See knowyourmeme.com for examples.

More importantly, I suggest taking two steps back and looking at your experience from Redditors' perspective, instead of yours.

You just walked into a social community and used it to self-promote, like a stranger opening the door to a college dormitory, walking into the living room and trying to pass out leaflets to everybody while they're watching their favorite show or having an intense discussion. You didn't pause to notice what they were doing, introduce yourself, or learn anything about the community or its customs before interrupting and shoving your stuff under their noses. You didn't stop to consider that lots and lots of self-serving link droppers barge into their community every day, trying to exploit them for traffic, making it hard for actual members who are part of the community to carry on real discussions. For them, it's like trying to play pictionary while strangers outside the windows are pumping in vast quantities of junk mail using a firehose.

So while you're criticizing their language as rude and calling them arrogant, you might consider how your actions appear to them. Rude, maybe? Perhaps a little arrogant?

I'm actually surprised you were able to post the link; I thought they'd had to ban hubpages links because so many hubbers have link spammed their community.

4. Ninjadater profile image61

Hi GreekGeek,

I actually thought Reddit was very much similar to something like Stumble Upon. Where you just posted links back to other sites.

I just read over the rules and clarifications.  It appears, specifically when it comes to dating, that they wer looking for questions only.  People there posting looking for advice and not link backs to articles. (Specifically our own websites/blogs). 

It might've been the rules just in that particular niche, I'm not sure of the rest of the site, but seriously...again, I almost swore it was like "Stumble upon" where they just post links to pop culture, gossip and other sites. I wasn't entirely aware that it was a self-aware community.

I'll have to take heed of the rules in the future. smile  I'd have to steer clear of that site, only because that niche is for people asking questions, not wanting links back to dating articles or sites even.

1. Greekgeek profile image80
      Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And as usual, I sound arrogant while trying to give advice. Sorry!

Warning: on second thought, knowyourmeme.com might be too jarring, as it's another of those parts of the web where swearing and being... er, very blunt... are normal ways to communicate. Also, what's on the front page today isn't as funny as it usually is.

5. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 11 years ago

Just a warning about Reddit, they do not like anyone posting links to sites like Hubpages, Examiner, or their own blogs.  On a very rare occasion they have no problem with it, like if it is an article on a certain issue that they consider to have merit, but they will call people spammers who periodically post links to their own writing.  There are actually quite a few Redditers that make it their entire purpose on that site to find what they consider self-promotional spam.  I decided I really did not care anyway because most of the topics on the general reddit were not super deep, and you have to dig around on sub reddits to find what you want anyway.  I highly recommend Stumbleupon within reason, and I got far more traffic from it than I ever did on digg or Twitter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)