Hubpages/Hubbers, please do not write Hubs about drugs!

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (49 posts)
  1. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I like to check Hubpages on breaks at work. Now, I can't access my Hub feed because a Hubber chose to write a Hub about drugs, and Hubpages hasn't caught onto it yet. My organization is pretty fair on what it blocks/allows. Usually blocks things about gun violence, cults, and drugs. They also only block pages if the word is used multiple times. So, if someone types the word once or twice, it's fine. But clearly, this is an entire article about it.

Hubpages has NEVER been blocked before. I have no idea who wrote the Hub, or what the url of the Hub is, but I would say that Hubpages is NOT the place to write about drugs.

http://i48.tinypic.com/307rkhf.jpg

sad sad sad

2. jellygator profile image88
    jellygatorposted 11 years ago

I have hubs that are anti-drug but make mention of marijuana in them. Hope it's not something like that that triggered your filter, because it was assigned to me as part of the apprentice program!

3. imatellmuva profile image77
    imatellmuvaposted 11 years ago

HubPages Publishing & Policy Rules #8 refers to drug content that can not be written about. HubPages does not have a rule that a Hubber  can't write about a substance.

Unless the title of the hub, was one that you could not discern that the content was about drugs, It seems the better option is that you would be more selective about the hubs you choose to read while at work, rather than suggest that drugs is a topic that shouldn't be written about.

**piggyback on jellygator's comment**

kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One Hub shows in my feed (or 2, or 3, I don't know) and has a title related to drugs. I am not choosing to read them. In fact, I have no choice on any hubs to read, because my entire feeds pages is now blocked. I can still access the forum though.

Guess I'll wait till it cycles through.

1. imatellmuva profile image77
        imatellmuvaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So, your page is blocked by your administrator. It seems that their filters are exceptionally high, and maybe rightfully so, not because of you but to deter misuse.

What's confusing is, when you are in the news feed you are not actually accessing any specific page, Hub, or topic, until or unless you actually click on it...peculiar.

Again, there are many who write on drug topics, but are in no way  advocating the use of drugs. If you have a mobile phone, read HubPages from there.

I think it's drawing the information from the Hub title and summary that shows up in the feed.

Even if I could access my feed, I would not read the Hub about drugs. But, like I said, I don't really have a choice. Ah, guess I'll check other sites on my lunch.

Still, it's a little disappointing to know I am associated with a site that has content about drugs (even if just educational).

Awwww kathleenkat don't let it disappoint you, there are Hubbers who provide relevant information on illegal drugs...like coping advice for family and friends of a relative on drugs...referral links to counseling centers...the long term impact on drug use, and more.

While there may be some hubs that may not fit this profile, most do, and those people who write hubs that lend  support, advice and counsel  should not in any way disappoint you.

One day I was talking with someone, and they said that they  didn't understand how people can get addicted to drugs.  I told her the same way she became addicted to cigarettes. She is a smoker. She said, "Yeah, but I won't lose my family, friends, my job and my house." I told her, "You will when (if) you get cancer, emphysema, or OCD."  There was silence.

The point is, there are lessons to be learned even in those things that we may not agree with, or like.  While you may never indulge, (by the way I don't either) you could find that somewhere in your lifetime you may have to lend support to someone who does. So, what happens then, you use written material. etc, regardless of the source to provide you with answers that you don't have. Look beyond right now.

This isn't a HubPages issue...this is an issue between you and your employer. Again, don't be disappointed, read from your phone, or when you get home...there are a host of other Hubs  that are sure to satisfy your reasons for joining...even if you can no longer read from work.

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

You can write about drugs here, depending on the angle you take. You might not be allowed ads on the hub, but that's a Google Adsense thing.

I suspect people in offices should be working and not surfing the net anyway.

1. galleryofgrace profile image72
      galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks IzzyM, my thoughts exactly.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I truly don't understand your mindset.  HP has topics which people want information about.  Why is that disappointing?  Drugs are in your medicine.

I'm talking about illegal drugs, such as mary-jane (don't want this thread blocked too!) I also notice that HP doesn't want you writing about beer and alcohol, and that is legal. So, why are they allowing mary-jane?

And Jellygator...it wasn't your hub. I am at home now. It was this one: http://againsttheodds.hubpages.com/hub/ … l-Less-THC

Which also links to 6 more Hubs about this drug at the bottom.

So, people are allowed to post hubs that mention illegal drugs, as long as they don't talk about people using them? But people can't promote or link to sites that sell perfectly legal products such as beer and tobacco? I wish there was a way to kick things out of my feed on topics that I don't want to see.

Wow KathleenKat...you're sink'n your own boat. This hub does not in any way promote, endorse, support, or condone illegal drug use.

The author of the hub, is merely comparing the effects of highless marijuana to its traditional counterpart for medicinal purposes.

The idea is that people who use marijuana for medicinal purposes would  not have the effects of the THC found in traditional marijuana. The author went on to simply state how the highless marijuana would not be effective for some medicinal users.

It seems to me, that you need to read more articles like this and compare them to articles in favor of marijuana for pure enjoyment (on other sites of course). Perhaps...and just maybe you will be able to discern between the two.

2. Zoelle profile image45
        Zoelleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting the link.  I found the article to be very informative.  Marijuana is legal for medicinal use where I live and it's been recommended for someone I know who has a chronic condition.

I've also noticed Google adsense ads on the hub. Apparently it's O.K. with google.

6. melbel profile image95
    melbelposted 11 years ago

Marijuana isn't illegal everywhere. I mean, in many countries it's completely legal and in some cases it's legal in the States (medical use.) Furthermore, there are places that don't allow alcohol. I go to school in Indiana and you can't buy alcohol on Sunday there. Some states even have 'dry counties' where drinking is severely limited or maybe even prohibited.

Also, I would imagine that the articles that mention drug-use are more along the lines of, "10 Programs That Can Help w Drug Addiction" versus "How to Shoot Up (whatever drug is shoot-up-able.)"

I figure if you can write about something and get past Google's adblock censors, then why not?

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Kathleen, I realize you're talking about illegal drugs.  The link you posted is a perfect example of a well-written, informative, educational hub about the use of marijuana which searchers may find helpful.
    Knowledge informs and dispels myths about topics such as this.

8. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

I ran up against the HP "drug policy" when I reviewed a "stoner comedy" movie that starred Tommy Chong of "Cheech & Chong" fame. Obviously it's kind of tough to review a movie like that without making some drug references...haha. I contacted the Powers That Be and had a moderator check the Hub out to make sure it was OK to publish (I figured it was, but I was fairly new here at the time and didn't want to inadvertently break any rules...). Anyway, I hope I didn't trip anybody's work filters with that one, it was quite a while ago.

All hail ! Cheech and Chong! i'm not a partaker but I believe in live and let live.

9. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

This site is already heavily censored with respect to what topics are and are not permitted. However, since the objective of the censorship is to preserve our ad earnings, I'm happy to go along with it.

However, the notion that we should impose further self-censorship just because some wage slave is unable to sneak in visits to Hubpages from her employer's computer is absolutely ludicrous!

If you don't like your employer's surfing policies, find another job or go freelance! Do not expect 140,000+ HP authors to jump to your demands just so you can carry on surfing during work time.

I cannot believe that this thread was ever started.

Writeangled,Tthanks for saying what some of us were afraid to say!

I would sure hope that a rational person would be afraid to blatently insult someone. I, myself, have some fear in writing things that could insult people. I actually care about other people's feelings. What I don't understand is why you would be thankful that someone would insult me? Please explain that to me. Do I deserve to be punished? Is that why you are thankful?

2. kathleenkat profile image83

That was awfully disrespectful of you.

1. I am allowed to check social media sites at my work. I get these things called "breaks" which have been part of labor laws for more than half a century.

2. I am not a "wage slave." I am actually PAID to write, by the way. I took this job willingly. And I get paid very fairly. I am not a slave.

It was my understanding that posting about illegal drugs was against HP terms of service. Thanks to everyone, except for you, for clearing up the specifics for me and helping me understand. Thanks to everyone, except for you, for posting relevant replies that help me understand the HP policies better. Thanks everyone, except for you, for helping a new user get acquainted with the specifics of the rules, and understanding why I am concerned.

Thank you, however, for making me feel unwelcome. Experienced hubbers like you with scores in the mid-90s carry a lot of weight in the community in the eyes of people like me. SO you know.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wage slave = a person dependent on wages or a salary for a livelihood
        Definition from Merriam Webster

as opposed, for example, to
        Freelance = a person who pursues a profession without a long-term commitment to any one employer
        Definition from Merriam Webster

If anything is insulting, it is the title of the this thread and your first post, with its imperious statement: " I would say that Hubpages is NOT the place to write about drugs." 

Had you come in with an honest query, it would have been quite different. However, you seem to think that the fact your boss blocks certain things from being accessed on the computers at your place of employment gives you the right to lay down the law about topics covered in hubs.

So I assume you assigned the title "wage slave" to me without any intent/clue that it could be insulting?

I find that hard to believe.

If you want me to think before I post, then I suggest you do the same. Your post provided zero constructive response. It did, however, manage to provide labels and assumptions to me/my character, and make me feel insulted enough to report it. I am sorry that you were insulted by my post; I wanted to make HP aware that it was being blocked by a large organization for it's content, and ask Hubbers to please consider what they are writing about that could make HP less available to the rest of us (and any readers that so happen to be reading in a similar all-ages-friendly environment).

Have a nice day.

*Shrug*
            Wage slave has been an established term since the mid-19th century, which excellently describes the situation of those persons, no matter how low or high their position, nor how skilled or unskilled their activities, who choose at a certain point in their lives to sell their labour to one entity, which then has total control over how, when and where they carry out their duties (and which today includes monitoring and censoring the web access of their workers).

When I was dependent on an employer for a living, I always called myself a wage slave, because that was my situation. The fact I was earning a reasonably high salary and often had to travel to Europe and the US to deal with government agencies, scientists and industrialists did not change my inherent circumstances.

I don't call myself a "wage slave" because, to me, that term is demeaning.

If we are going off of actual definitions of words, I suppose it's okay for me to start talking about bitches and fags. What's wrong with pregnant dogs and sticks?

Rain: New users take experienced, successful users seriously. For example, I probably wouldn't care what a sock puppet with a score of 23 says.

Might Mom; the HP app is not very good. HP on a small screen is too hard for me to use with ease. I don't intend to bring to to IT, but it's a little odd that HP would be blocked. This seemed like a very all-ages, user friendly site. I wish there were a way to block the hubs about drugs from my feed, and control what I see, but there really isn't. I rarely even see Hubs from people I follow in my feed. Thanks for responding respectfully to me.

2. NathaNater profile image91
              NathaNaterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not taking sides here, and this is not directed toward anybody, but I do appreciate WriteAngled using the term wage slave; it's about time someone called it like it is; if you work for somebody else, at their whim, basically with the threat of termination and homelessness, etc. always looming, then you're a wage slave, controlled and at the beck and call of the employer who profits from your work while you get pennies of the profit in wages. I came to terms with that after being one for years. Cheers to WriteAngled!

2. profile image0
            Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not HP's problem as there are rules about postings on drugs.  It's your company that has the filter so your complaint is with them. 

Here's another fine example of people getting heated over nothing and an argument and mud slinging starts.  Come on guys, can't we all get along we are adults here.  Geez

2. Rain Defence profile image79
        Rain Defenceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

People that have scores in the 90s carry weight in the hubpages community? I didn't know that. Hey I'm a 90 something, I must be a big swinging Richard round here too. Great!

10. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

Given that a significant percentage of the adult population has tried and enjoyed illegal drugs immensely you'd think HP would not be closing it's doors to them.

Personally I am sick, tired and bored with seeing recipes, t-shirt sales, how to tie your shoe laces and the string of sub standard garbage that adds to the tedium of daily life...

... if only HP would allow me to write a joint rolling guide or a how to drive stoned manual. 

I could have some fun with that.

On a day when the UK JAILED someone for eight months for wearing an offensive t-shirt I'm not in the mood for any increase in censorship.

You might think a 'writing' site would actually RELAX it's rules and just say "the hell with it".

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7257944_f248.jpg

11. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

As stated by many here, I think context of the drug mentions is important.
    My addiction/recovery hubs are consistently my top scorers and attract a lot of comments, too.
    I know several other hubbers who write regularly on drugs and drug addiction(thecleanlife is a great example).
    Plus, there are a whole bunch of "legal" drugs that are controversial (e.g, have been recalled, have horrible side effects such as cancer, suicide, etc.) which (IMHO) absolutely deserve to be hubbed about.

The filters set by employers can be set artificially high.
    But it's their field and their ball and thus their rules apply.
    I don't imagine it's possible or appopriate to ask your IT department to reconsider and let your Hub Pages feed through.
    So -- how to strike a win/win compromise that lets you enjoy Hub Pages and allows other hubbers free expression (within the TOS of course)?
    Seems to me the suggestions of reading HP on your phone or on a non-work connection are reasonable alternatives.
    smile

12. imatellmuva profile image77
    imatellmuvaposted 11 years ago

HubPages is already censored, quite heavily, from its moderators to Hubbers who hop hubs, and flag them for content violations. The issue here is that your statement(s) on what is an article about illegal drugs does not match the article that you shared.

140,000 (and growing) writers should not be subject to consideration for additional censorship because of what one person thinks is illegal content. Even if you work for a well established and large company, it is only one company of millions with viewers who enjoy HubPages.

While there may have been some strong statements in this thread, your statements are actually the strongest, because you are asking people to censor their hubs based on what you think is inappropriate, and you think HubPages should do the same.

I can only suggest that you educate yourself better about what is actually inappropriate content. HubPages, it writers and viewers are not the issue here, again it is your employer. I wish you the best of luck.

Makes sense to me. Thank you.

I only assumed it was about illegal drugs because of mary-jane. I wasn't able to find the article until I went home, after I posted this.

We all post things that aren't accurate/right. That doesn't give license to call me names.

The rules about legal/illegal drugs are still very confusing to me. AND I have read them.

Thanks, also, for responding kindly and constructively. You make me feel welcome here.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What is mary-jane? It is not a phrase I am familiar with.

Can I also respectfully point out that no-one called you names.

The word 'wage-slave' was mentioned, but not directly at you.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
          Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

MaryJane.... marijuana. Weed, blow, etc. Cannabis.

There.  If that doesn't trigger the filters nothing will.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
            Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Crack, crank, smack, grass, purple, ecstacy, H and X.

Seemingly innnocuous words.
            But will they trip the filter censors????

1. profile image0
              Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ha ha ha  this is getting better and better.  Come on you guys is everyone just cranky or is it me?  Oops I said crank(y)

2. imatellmuva profile image77

Make no assumptions unless you bring out battle armor and a helmet!

Despite the thread, HubPages is and remains to be a great place to write, to develop yourself as a writer, and to meet people.

I have a Social Media Rule...Type, Read, Delete! Cause' once, you post it, you might have a lot of explaining to do.

Welcome to HubPages!!  lol

13. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Blow is cocaine.

If you mention that in a hub be sure to also talk about boobies, high stakes poker and kitten murder.

Well, well.  A UK / US difference.  I'll have to remember if I visit the States...
      "Could I have four ounces of your finest blow please my good man"

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction … ish/blow_7

14. kathleenkat profile image83

Not yet.

Please don't try to block me from the forums though sad

15. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

Incidentally, the word KAT also has drug connotations.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kat

16. kathleenkat profile image83

The name "Mark" is now associated with drugs. wink

That may give a boost to my cupcake recipes...

Of course Mark, just bake them with a lot of pot, weed, marijuana, grass, hemp, cannabis or whatever you want to call it inside.

Then let the cannabinoids flow through your bloodstream and chill out! lol

Well I was thinking of just adding a little extra sugar and maybe a cherry, but hey, if you insist.

Great thread this...

I was thinking back to student days in a university chaplaincy house, when another Mark baked some biscuits, to which he had added a sufficient quantity of weedy stuff.

We consumed these on the day someone's mother came to visit. I still laugh when I remember the hilarious conversations that took place with her that evening.

Ah, those were the 1970s....

Those were the days my friend...

17. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

We thought they'd never end

Lol. Good.  Ok, I think that's done that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)