Suggestion: Move questions out of our subdomain

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

If the questions are causing traffic problems, I suggest that they be removed from the profile page and out of our individual subdomains. I would rather lose the money from Adsense if it would help with the page-views of hubs.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I simply deleted all mine, except for one, which has received several long and good answers.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same here -  if a questions has no answers, or no traffic within 30 days I delete it.

1. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

My page-views are almost 1000 . I say your earlier post Simey, and  deleted the ones with no answers and those with no page-views within the last thirty days. No-one has said specifically what the real issue is with the Q & A.

3. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Did it help your traffic?

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In all the Panda/Pengiun saga, I have so far only had one fall in traffic at the start of April, from which I have more than recovered. The last four months or so have seen a small but fairly consistent increase in traffic.

Deleting the questions was thus really a matter of insurance against future events. Apart from the one question I left on my account, I thought the answers I had received were pretty low quality and did not want them associated with my name.

4. derek gulbranson profile image79
    derek gulbransonposted 11 years ago

We looked at that. Unfortunately no clues there. There's no correlation between the number or type of Questions that someone has on their profile and traffic rising or falling.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The way I look at it, if a question isn't getting any traffic, has no answers then it really cannot be helping me - sure it may not be damaging me too - but I'd rather be safe than sorry and delete it!

2. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I thought there was a problem that Google saw them as hubs with very little content and got us for that. Thank you for that information.

3. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Does the same apply to Forum posts on profiles? Any data on that? Many people don't want these listings on their profiles for various reasons. The profiles are OURS -our subs - why can't we have the option of not having Forums, QA and "Others you might like" on our profiles. Please explain what HP would lose by allowing hubbers to choose not to have these things? What would hubbers lose by not having these low value irrelevant lists of links on their profiles?  Many people are concerned about the impact of the latest Panda hit on their traffic (20% loss overall). Rightly or wrongly they are looking at what they can do to fix things. We have been advised that the Idle hubs cleanout would benefit our traffic in the long run by getting rid of dead wood => links to non performing hubs. If that is true, why would getting rid of forum post links, QA links and 'Unrelated Hubbers' on our profiles not achieve the same outcome - getting rid of poor quality links? Maybe Panda may forgive and forget next time! Any changes that are made will not show up until the next Panda review. Give us the chance to control our own destiny in our own profiles!!! Let us have the option?

By the way many people have deleted all their QAs as this is the only way to get rid of the listings - I am about to do the same with forum posts because I don' want them displayed publically. So your analysis may have been affected by this.

1. derek gulbranson profile image79
        derek gulbransonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We suspected this same thing so just to be safe, as of last week both Forums and Q&A were removed from the content that is exposed to search engines on the user profiles. We did also take a look at forums (and many other factors) in our data mining but again there is, unfortunately, no correlation between types, length or number of forum posts and rising or falling traffic.

1. janderson99 profile image54

Thanks for that. Phew what a relief! Perhaps this deserved an announcement somewhere - maybe I missed it. Maybe there s a case for a Techies Blog so that those that are interested can be kept up to date. The Forums are hard to find stuff in - especially the staff feedback.
          Cheers,

2. janderson99 profile image54

As a follow up - basic links strategy says that its wise to link to quality pages.
        My profile has a PR of 3, I have a hubber score of 92
        The "other people" listed on my profile have
        PR 2 hubber score 89
        PR 0 hubber score 88
        PR 0 hubber score 79  - only has 11 hubs
        why won't linking to these low quality pages pull down my ranking.
        Isn't this the same as linking to poorly performing hubs (idle) - linking to low quality subs.

The same applies to the six   'Discover more Hubs' shown on every page that is added by HP most of which are not relevant. If I link to an unrelated hub I get a violation notice => but HP sticks unrelated links on my hub that I don't want. If unrelated links I put on are bad, why aren't unrelated links HP puts on my hubs just as bad.

Just one example I wrote a hub about the health dangers of Artificial colors and additives
        one so called related hub was
        "What’s In My Food: Sprite Ingredients Explained"
        Google is likely to see that as unrelated and promotional.

I wrote another hub on Alzheimers disease
        two unrelated hubs listed were
        Brain Tumor: Our Acoustic Neuroma Story (part 1)
        UNIVERSAL HEALTH: Central Nervous System and Meningitis

Just maybe this is why Panda hit HP so hard - unrelated links!!
        Please fix it,  ---  Please!!!!!!  Its killing my traffic!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)