Question To Hubstaff? What have I done wrong with this? Thanks

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (54 posts)
  1. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

I know I mentioned this before on a forum post, but its beginning to drive me to insanity now! I was on a 100 profile score, updated my groups and dropped right down to 82 now 84! It may not make a lot of difference, but its totally confused me. Is there something I can do about it? It makes me wonder if I have done the Groups wrong, or messed it up somehow. An answer would be appreciated, thanks

1. Denise Handlon profile image85
      Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Nell-I am clueless, sad to admit, but curious.  That is very interesting and I can vouch for the frustration as well.  I'll be interested in following what others have to say about it.  In the meantime, don't forget to BREATHE to try to relax.  It can be downright infuriating and disappointing!  Hugs to you.

Nell Roseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Denise, lol! yes breathing slowly now! thanks

smile   Easy to forget this very simple and necessary activity, haha.

2. Pamela N Red profile image83
      Pamela N Redposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Nell, I've never known your score to be so low. Mine hasn't been very good of late either and not sure why. I suspect some internal changes are going on. I've been busy with outside endeavors so not on as much but that never used to make this much difference.

Good luck and hopefully you can get your score back up soon.

3. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Christ! Nell, I must say I am really shocked. I do not need to read your post. I saw your previous post about your score dropping to 90 but thought maybe it would resolve itself. When I came here I had no idea you were down to 84. This is shocking to me. I personally have never seen you below 98 since I have been on HP and I have been following you since joining.

4. 2besure profile image79
      2besureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is very strange.  The drop it too huge, to just overlook.  I hope you get an answer soon!

5. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure why your HubScore has fallen. A HubScore is calculated based on a variety of metrics. We have a few resources available on the site that may be useful to you. Please review these pages and let us know if you have any specific questions:

http://hubpages.com/faq/#hubscorecalc

http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/hubs … ber-score/

and please read the text under "Ranking" here: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/understanding-stats

Thanks Matthew much appreciated

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Looks like something went wrong with HP's hubscore algorithm.

Glad it's sorted smile

6. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nell - I have been thinking about your score drop after I responded earlier. I just remembered a hubber whose score dropped because of following too many people. It went from the 90s to the 80s. That is the only thing I can come up with. I need to check the learning center to see what it says. I don't know the reasoning. It puzzles me, but I have been racking my brain to help you. You might check it out. Hugs.

7. joanveronica profile image68
      joanveronicaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Nell, I've been thinking about this problem with the hubber score, and I find it relates to other repetitive tasks I have done that were not to the algo's liking (on other sites). My reasoning is this: placing hubs in groups is supposed to increase traffic, therefore is favorable to the owner of the hubs. Right? An all-out effort over several hours of placing hubs in groups, is supposedly all to your particular benefit. Maybe this triggered the "self-promoting" restrictions, and the algo reacted by lowering your score? After some experiences on pages like Twitter and Facebook I am now very careful to spread my "organizing" activities over more periods of time and in small doses. While I would rather plan a task, start it and complete it all at once, I am now planning things differently in an effort to avoid the possible and strange  reactions of the various algos. I am really no expert, just thought I would write this out and see what fellow Hubbers think?

2. profile image0
    redwhiskeypeteposted 11 years ago

Don't worry about it. One day my score was 97 and the next day it was 93

1. mary615 profile image83
      mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can understand your concern, Nell.  I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't.

Thanks mary

2. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

yes, but your experience is very common.  We all have rises and falls on a daily basis of a few points.  What Nell has experienced is most unusual.  To go from 100 to mid 80's is certainly reason for her to be frustrated and request an explanation from HP (if they can give her one).   In addition, she seems to believe it has something to do with her activity in terms of grouping her hubs.  It would be most helpful for her to discover what is happening......We can all benefit from learning this..

1. profile image0
        redwhiskeypeteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My fault I thought she said it went
        From 84 to 82. I'm still trying to figure out why my traffic has slowed down so much

Thanks red

2. Nell Rose profile image89

Thanks Paula, its just one of those niggles! lol! it probably doesn't make a lot of difference, but it just totally puzzled me! I haven't been this low since I started, even then I was higher, if that makes any sense!

3. Denise Handlon profile image85

I agree that it is a huge drop and I too would feel dismayed and concerned.

3. carol7777 profile image75
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

My overall score stays pretty much within four or five points.  My hubs have taken a huge drop...from in the 80s to the 60s.....and I have only gone over hubs and improved them checking for typos, grammar, photos, tags and links..I have no idea what is going on.  Hopefully it will be explained.

4. MartieCoetser profile image70
    MartieCoetserposted 11 years ago

Dropping from a 100 profile score to 82/84 is definitely not in accordance with the normal weird motions of our scores. I am looking forward to learn the reasons of this, Nell.

Thanks Martie

2. Pamela N Red profile image83
      Pamela N Redposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, it isn't, Martie. Nell has been one of our high performers for a long time so this is puzzling.

5. denisemai profile image66
    denisemaiposted 11 years ago

You deserve a high hubber score, Nell! I must admit, I placed hubs in groups yesterday and then bit my fingernails in anticipation of a drop. Nothing has happened.....yet. Good luck to you. I hope they give you an answer.

6. Pavlo Badovskyy profile image75
    Pavlo Badovskyyposted 11 years ago

I may assume the following (may be wrong of course) it reflects how much external views in comparison with internal views from fellow hubbers , you have and how much popular your hubs for search engines are. 
    At the same time it should be balanced with how much "efforts" you personally do to participate in HP. The more you show activity on HP, the more you answer, vote, participate, evaluate, the LESS you hubscore becomes. Weird, but I believe it is true because I have seen some post of a hubber who managed to lower his hubscore up to  20 by active participation in all mentioned above. 

If the score depends on the number of external views in comparison with internal views + score of hubs+ activity+something else I do not know about smile then I may assume, that latest Google updates could affect the number of visits and therefore change the balance and to reduce your score.

I had 99 highest score couple of times doing NOTHING at all. I had very few visits from hubpages and at the same time much more from different search engines.

And finally a word of consolation: do not pay too much attention to it smile it does not reflect how much talent you have. It is just a strange and complicated system of internal evaluation which has in fact nothing to do with your ability to write or to make money on HP.

1. carol7777 profile image75
      carol7777posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You think your score will rise if you are not active.  Actually when I was away for a week and didn't get a chance to comment as much as I do my score went down a bit. This would encourage people not to participate??? Maybe what happened was just a fluke.  Hope so.

Thanks carol, I am always on here at least a couple of hours a day, so maybe it is just a glitch, fingers crossed! lol!

It is a mysterious combination of things that calculate your score and I second Pavio's comment:  It does not reflect the talent you have as a writer here on HP, Nell.

2. teaches12345 profile image77
      teaches12345posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I tend to agree with Pavlo.  There could be numerous reasons for the drop in the score.  I would contact hubpages just to make sure something has been dropped from your account settings.  The external and internal views do affect the score as well.  Also, HP stresses the importance on commenting on hubber followers as a way to increase your score.  I know that you do all of these things, Nell. So hopefully you will see an increase to your normal status soon.  Don't take it personally, you are a great writer.

7. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

I know how you feel. When a weird thing happens to me on HP, I tense up even though I know it is out of my control. Writing is so important to us. When my views are up, it makes my day. So Nell I am thinking of you and wishing for lots of good things for you. You have great writing skills and deserve only the best. As you say.  Cheers!  Best of luck and hugs to you.

8. Bobski606 profile image80
    Bobski606posted 11 years ago

Hi Nell, you're not alone in this. My score has dropped by about 10 points over the last week or so. I've been trying to improve all my hubs and be more active on the site but that just seems to make things worse and my traffic and hubber score just keep dropping. I hope the hubstaff will get back soon because it is frustrating.

1. carol7777 profile image75

As I said my hub scores are dropping a lot.  The more I improve them the lower they go.  These hubs got very high scores for quite a while and keep dropping.  So you are not alone for sure.

9. alphagirl profile image76
    alphagirlposted 11 years ago

Wish i had an answer too. It will be interesting to find out. Hope someone in headquarters answers your question. In the mean time, don't it get to you. Your Hubs are great!

Thanks so much alpha!

10. Larry Fields profile image67
    Larry Fieldsposted 11 years ago

Hi Nell. Recent regrouping has had no discernible effect on my hubber score. The fact that your score plummeted immediately after regrouping does not necessarily mean that that was the true cause. I see 2 possibilities that could explain your quandary:

1. a weird programming error that HP will fix soon.

2. A recent unannounced change in HP's hubber score algorithm is 'penalizing' you for following too many low-scoring hubbers, or for following one particularly 'toxic' low-scoring hubber.

If (2) is the case, you may want to go back and unfollow the bottom quartile of hubbers that you are currently following.

Best wishes, Larry

Thanks Larry

11. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 11 years ago

Nell I have done the unfollow with people I follow but were no longer on Hubpages or no longer involved with the community at all and when I did my profile score went down but did come back soon after. So if you do it just so you know your score may go down again.

Thanks moonlake

12. Angela Blair profile image68
    Angela Blairposted 11 years ago

I can't answer your question, Nell as I've been experiencing the same thing! My score is usually 98-100 or somewhere thereabouts and it's dropping like lead no matter what I do. I've just published two Hubs and commented, etc. as I usually do and my score continues to go down -- for a fact, I'm stumped and don't know how to rectify the situation.

One of those things I suppose Angela, thanks for letting me know, fingers crossed! lol!

13. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

@ Nell, this is the best advice I can give you.

1. Check to make sure you have no violations. You can do this by clicking the violations link at the bottom of your stats page.

2. Check to make sure you are not linking to any site may not be allowed. Sometimes the system takes a while to warn us while penalizing for it non the less.

3. Check for broken links.

4. Check to see which hubs are on idle and try reducing that amount. Don't know if this actually affects hubscores but it may.

5. Stay away from HP for 24 - 36 hours as you are not sure if you are being penalized for over-activity. If your score stabilizes or improves then you know it's overactivity. If your score drops again then it's lack of activity.

6. Last resort is to check with the staff by sending them an email. You could ask them to check to make sure your account is okay and no hanky panky is going on with it. They are in a better position to tell you what you are doing wrong and maybe how to fix it.

Thanks Cardisa, it was purely the second I updated my groups, it was really weird. Thanks for all the info, I have checked but maybe I am missing something.

14. rcrumple profile image79
    rcrumpleposted 11 years ago

Nell, completely understand.  The frustration is growing over this constant up and down scoring process.  Mine went from 96 to 87 (it's lowest since I started) with the same views, same commenting, and same hub score average.  Yet, I see others that haven't written in ages having their scores climb high up the ladder.

Thanks Richard, glad its not just me! lol!

15. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

Thanks so much everyone really appreciate the help

1. mary615 profile image83
      mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Am I seeing things or:  don't I see your score now at 97, Nell Rose?

16. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Nell Rose....would you please tell me what you mean when you say you "updated your groups?"
    signed, the dumb old lady.......just ask Wesman.....he tells me I should join a nunnery!

17. lrohner profile image66
    lrohnerposted 11 years ago

I'd like to chime in. First, I wouldn't worry about it. Scores here are meaningless, and I'm sure you know that.

I haven't been very active here, so I haven't followed anyone nor commented on their hubs in....well....quite some time. My forum posts are maybe once a month or less, and I don't post/tweak/do anything else to my hubs. Almost all of my traffic is organic search. What has been consistent over the past nine to 12 months is that the more traffic I have, the lower my score, and vice versa.

18. Dame Scribe profile image55
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

All these 'scores' remind me of when I had to keep my GPS at 80 minimum lol and that was nursing tongue good to graduate and have that behind me too hmm

19. kathleenkat profile image82
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I suspect that the more active I am, the more my score drops. I have been very active over the past couple days, and dropped from 91 to 87.

Although for all I know my score could be 30 on the days I don't bother to log in.

1. LetitiaFT profile image74
      LetitiaFTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've seen the same trend. My hubscore sometimes reaches 100, but only when I lay off HP for a while. However if I stay away too long, or start to participate actively, it plummets. Go figure!
      Hope you work our your issue, Nell, and let us all know what the story is. Best of luck.

2. carol7777 profile image75

Sometimes when I am very active the score goes up and sometimes when I am not the scores either up or down. GO figure.

20. The Invincible profile image60
    The Invincibleposted 11 years ago

Nell, your score is 97 at the moment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)