I have a Question

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Heather Tripp profile image71
    Heather Trippposted 11 years ago

I only have 5 hubs on here. I don't know if it's because I also write for other sites, and I'm used to earning a penny or two a day, but my earnings through the ad program have been impressive considering the lack of hubs that I have. Hubpages is definitely working for me.

But, google, on the other hand... I don't know if I am doing something wrong, or if it's just that I do only have 5 hubs, and it takes a lot more content to earn on google, but... I haven't seen a rise in my earnings since I joined hubpages (on the 4th of this month I think it was).

Am I missing something? I got the google adsense account, linked it to hubpages, and I didn't do anything else with it. I was under the impression that google would take it from there, and put ads on my pages, and stuff. But... I'm just wondering... Am I supposed to be doing something else? Or do I just need to write more? Cause like I said... I haven't earned a single penny according to google...

Can anyone help me out here? Thanks!!

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Heather,
      I'm scratching my head for both of us. I have 18 hubs, been here almost 7 weeks, received great accolades including 1000 views and have made only pennies with HP and nothing with Adsense. I keep thinking there's something I haven't activated. Go figure.

1. isenhower33 profile image66
        isenhower33posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I wish my adsense would approve lol still has yet to send me the email lol Its really killing me as i have 4 hubs with double red arrows sad

Do you have a gmail account? Have you visited the google adsense site lately? I found that I had been approved but didnt realize that I needed to do verification steps. Also found the emails in my gmail account which I never check.

1. isenhower33 profile image66
            isenhower33posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I went through all my emails nothing sad and i've tried to log on but it wont let me log on yet, it says i need to check my email but nothings there

Heather Trippposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did you check your spam email too? My first email from google went into the junk folder....

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As others have said: if you are using the HP Earnings Program, 90% of the ads on your Hub are paying through that program - even the Adsense ads.  There is always one Adsense ad that pays direct, but it's right at the end of your Hub and doesn't get clicked on much.

Thanks for clarification on that, Marisa.

2. Heather Tripp profile image71

Oh, the other thought I had was that maybe it was because I haven't hit the 1,000 views mark yet?? That could be it to right? Which is totally reasonable with only five hubs... Maybe? LOL

Thanks!

3. tommykim profile image39
    tommykimposted 11 years ago

I've had google adsense before when I used to live in silicon valley. There really is a hustle to it amongst the IT marketing crowd. What worked for me was networking with other people. I had a lot of friends who had professional blogs and websites on productivity and business and such. I would submit an article to be featured in their site and get a bunch of hits off of it. And they would do the same with my site. Online marketing is actually a never ending loop of scratching other people's backs so that they can scratch yours, lol.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

If you are using Hubads you have only one adsense ad at the very bottom your hubs.  This naturally does not earn very much.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#hpads-appearance

Thank you, Psycheskinner, I just looked at several of my hubs. Hubads meaning links, Amazon, and Ebay? Yes, I have those. All my hubs have those generic "Ads by Google" at the top right hand side and at the bottom. I have a feeling my problem has something to do with SEO, marketing, and lack of broad interest in the topics. 14 of my 18 hubscores range from 70s to high 80s and one fluctuates to low 90s so I think they are decent quality hubs. Hopefully, in time, we will see progress.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Look at the link.

If you have Hubads turned on, All but one of your ads (that look like Adense) are Hubads (not Adsense). Thus Hubads will always account for 90% or more of the earnings no matter how much traffic your attract.

Do not go by whether it says "ads by Google", go by the chart shown on the link.

I looked at the link, checked my settings, they are on "high." I actually do have pic ads from google on some hubs and not just those generic looking ones. Thank again for your help. I trust things will improve.

I don't think you are taking my point that if you have Hubads turned on as you say, the orange ads are not Google ads, regardless of what they say on the hub. Only the bottom one is.  So if it earns more that 5% of your total take, that would be unusual.

I guess I was a little confused. Orange ads? I did see placement of ads at learning center, will read again to get better understanding. Should I leave setting on high or does it not matter at this point?

I am assuming the are on high, most people set them that way.

Look at the link, the diagram on the right.  The *only* google ad you have is the blue one.  Can you see why it doesn't earn much?

Yes, so why don't I have orange HP ads? You're referring to text color right?

I am referring to the link to the learning center that I provided to explain why Adsense doesn;t earn much if Hubads are turned on.

It shows exactly which ads are Hubads (represented in orange) and which are Adsense (blue).

2. janshares profile image93

Got it, color refers to placement designation. Im hopelessly literal sometimes.

2. Heather Tripp profile image71

So then... would it make more sense to turn down the hubads so that more google ads show? Or does that not make a difference? I mean, what I am earning with hubpages is good, so I'm not complaining, but... is it more profitable to go with adsense?

1. wilderness profile image96
                wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Too many factors to say.  Some hubbers do better using adsense, some do better with HPads. 

On the whole the balance seems to tip in favor of HPads (I know it does so, and very strongly, for me) for most hubbers, but it is certainly not true for everyone.

Well, since HPads seem to be working well for me, I am not gonna change anything. I was just wondering. (The old saying- if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind) I figure if I start adding more content, eventually I will see adsense growing some too. Thanks!! :-)

2. psycheskinner profile image83

In my experience, no.  Hubads earns more.  But some people have different experiences.

5. CloudExplorer profile image77
    CloudExplorerposted 11 years ago

Stick in there Ladies, things will surely get much better over time, but it requires intensity to see real results on hubpages, and a great duration of time, dedication, as well as massive communicative writing efforts to establish yourself here as being well known for great digital works with your hubs.

Knowledge of what it takes to make a Stellar Hub is essential though, and do check out the Hubpages Learning center to learn much more you'll be needing to know, and try to learn as many techniques there as well in the Learning Center over time. If done accurately your hubs will become a mainstay here with higher and higher volumes of web traffic, as well as the passive earning potentials to increase.

Most of all be patient, Adsense doesn't pay out much for low traffic views, mostly due to it being a pay per click rate anyhow of revenue stream, and it all depends on your viewers making decisions on following the Ad's.

No matter what keep writing is my best advise, and worry more about what your content you've been supplying in your hubs is saying to the viewers, not so much as to the amount of money being earned from viewers received. That will only drive you nuts.

Good luck & keep writing!

Official hubpages Learning Center link: "Elements of a stellar hub"
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub

Thank you much, CloudExplorer. I think I'm on the right track based on your advice. I do need to carve out time for more study at Learning Center. Will keep at it. Good luck to you, too, Heather.

6. profile image0
    traviswademillerposted 11 years ago

I think it's the other way around for me, I earn alot on google but not on HP. sad

7. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

Heather and Jan,
    First of all, welcome to HubPages.  There are a couple of things at play here.

You have signed up for HP ads and Google Adsense.  Some of your Google ads are a part of Adsense, but most of them are a part of the HP program. Since there are fewer Adsense ads, and they are pay per click, it is absolutely normal for them for them to pay at a slower rate.  Be patient though, because when you get a click, the pay is usually pretty good.

The key to getting more money, especially from the Adsense ads, is to get people who are not a part of the HubPages community to read your articles.  To do that, you have to write about interesting topics, and make sure that you use good keywords that people use to search for the topic on search engines.

To top that, if you write evergreen articles - those that will still be applicable years from now, then you can continue to get residual income from them.

As CloudExplorer stated, the Learning Center has all sorts of great information about how to do all of that.

Shasta

Thanks, Shasta. Got it. I had a feeling that those were the real issues for me: low interest and not having a handle on the keyword thing. I haven't made anything from either hp or adsense.

8. Heather Tripp profile image71

Hey guys! I appreciate everyone's advice and input. I am not so worried about my earnings really. I've written before, and I know how slow the process is to build up to anything substantial. Actually I was rather impressed with my earnings from hubpages in the just over a week that I've been here and with just now five hubs. My bigger concern was whether I had missed some step with google. I thought I was right until I got an email from google talking about creating ads and such. That made me think I was missing something. So I figured I would ask you guys cause who would know better than other writers?!? Lol

Congrats, Heather for doing well with your hp earnings. Good work!

2. Keanku profile image60
      Keankuposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Heather, the only way that creating ads would be relevant to you is if you were to place them on your own websites that you've built (blogs, etc.) Here at HP you don't have to worry about building AdSense ads at all since they have done that work for us, but I think you have it figured out, now!

Yea, see, that was what I needed someone to tell me flat out.. LOL.. Google had me all confused once they sent me that email. I was thinking "OH LORD!! Now I have to create the ad? Super.... " As I said before, Google hates me... LOL

9. Shaddie profile image75
    Shaddieposted 11 years ago

I have been here for four years, and only have 20-something Hubs. My earnings from the ad program is steady, and seems to have increased with time, but my Google earnings have had a more unusual pattern...

When I first joined this website in February 2008 I only had a whopping 2 Hubs for multiple years. One Hub in particular became very popular for some bizarre reason (people like to scare themselves with spiders I guess), and I earned over $100 from Google by the end of that year (in September alone I earned $50! What the heck!). After I had written those hubs, I ignored Hubpages and didn't visit it for a couple of years, so from 2009 through 2010 I didn't earn anything with Google at all. But on December 2011 I earned $2, and have steadily been getting a couple dollars a month since then.

The earnings I'm seeing nowadays are nowhere near the amounts I mysteriously received back in 2008, but they're something I suppose. I am still baffled by how exactly the Google program works, and would love to know what sets it off.

After reading through all the forums, I am happy to come to the conclusion that google has not just singled me out to hate... It seems to hate generally everyone! That makes me happy, cause I am a very likable person and google hating me was making me lose so much sleep at night... LOL...

1. Keanku profile image60
        Keankuposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One more nugget of knowledge that I think you might find useful: if you have signed up for the HubPages program, don't even worry yourself with your AdSense earnings, as your only AdSense module will be one module way at the bottom, under the comments section. You're going to earn more through the HP program. Watch that one grow regularly, and just check your AdSense every month or two. That's the "less fretting" approach smile

2. janshares profile image93

Thanks, Shaddie, for breaking it down for us. I will be happy to see $2 by the end of this year from either hp or google. Seriously, I'm not so pressed about the amount of money as much as I'm wanting to know how to optimize and make sure everything is working as it's supposed to. I'm certain now that my potential for success has not yet optimized as I remain a bit clueless. For now, I'm letting it go and concentrate on writing and mastering the tricks of the trade.

Hey Jan.... I don't have the keyword, tag, SEO thing down either, so I wing it. I think it's working, cause like I said, I am seeing some earnings. All I do is put in the words that I would use to search for the information like I have written about. Like... um... My hub on making money on Amazon (Don't know if you know which one I am talking about, but it's about how I sell books online for money). As far as the tags went, I put in stuff like: make money online, make money from home, ways to make extra money, sell used books online, home based business, amazon, earn extra money, work from home.. bla bla bla, you get the point. And then, through out my articles, I put in the phrases like: start your own home based business, make money from home selling used books, work from home, and  stuff like that. I didn't add in as many of those phrases, just one every few paragraphs. But I added a butt load of tags... Every tag that I could think of that had anything to do with what I wrote about. And, apparently this works... atleast to some extend, cause I don't promote the article, and it gets really good traffic. Hope that helps you... :-)

10. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 11 years ago

First of all...welcome to HubPages.  The Google algorithm changes frequently and there is no figuring it out for certain.  Just concentrate, as others have already stated, on writing good informative hubs.  Evergreen content is always good!  For me, the HP ads pay regularly and I get the occasional Google check which is always welcomed.  Just concentrate on your writing and the rest will take care of itself.  smile

11. profile image52
    cdatmposted 11 years ago

Shouldn't take a shot at Google, but they are not very good at accounting wink Since their ad days beginning they have struggled to balance the books. Not so much for themselves, but for their advertising partners. I was getting hundreds of thousands of views on a YouTube video that was 'monetized'  and didn't see a single penny in returns until I pointed it out to them. My ad-sense account suddenly started to tick but by then the traffic had slowed down. Not a penny in compensation. Guess there are those who can get away with anything and the rest of us. Gotta love the power circle thing wink

Keep up the hubs and let me know if I can help with your online money machine endeavors.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)