Atheist : which religion is peaceful according to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (38 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 11 years ago

I know you neither believe in god nor divinity of books...for you religion is man made ...i want to get your views on religion...according to you which religion is most peaceful...which respects not only other faiths but even lack of it...which neither intimates you or threatens you and let every be at ease?

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My own

Everyone is God

pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

okies...and among other organized religions?

I’m a man of peace, no arms, yet know martial arts for protection. Only used karate once on a bank gang muggings and the other got mugged by monkeys, where no one got seriously hurt.

Taoism makes good sense and is one of the most peaceful religions which related to Buddhism yet still I belong to no group.

I sure you will get a lot quarrel over who is the most Peaceful Religion.  Christians are the World Champion of killing. You see, some Christian will fight me now, to prove me wrong rather than showing me honest proof.

jainism?...

2. profile image0
            brotheryochananposted 11 years agoin reply to this

id like to see some honest proof of your post lol

historical or biblical?....historical are crusades , witch hunting and biblical is the biggest murderer ever ....many also call him GOD...

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

Bro

See, I told you so...

2. Lady Wordsmith profile image75
      Lady Wordsmithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I only know of Buddhism that does that.  The Dalai Lama said something about there needing to be 7 billion (okay, he said 5 billion, as there were less people in the world when he said it!) different religions, because we're all uniquely different.  I can't see much wrong with a religion that understands that.  I can't actually see anything wrong with Buddhism - I don't buy into the reincarnation bit myself, but Buddhism doesn't mind that at all, it's happy for me to just be happy.

1. profile image0
        Peelander Gallyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Buddhists haven't always been peaceful, though; they've waged many wars. If you look closely, every major religious group throughout history has killed for the sake of its respective beliefs.

3. twosheds1 profile image60
      twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jainism and Wicca. But honestly, I don't think any religion is inherently peaceful or violent. People have their interpretations of holy writ and decide whether to enforce them violently or not. I do maintain, though, that any time you have someone believing that their religion is infallible and simply incapable of error, you have a recipe for disaster.

Also, I do not believe in getting violent over a difference of opinion.

4. ra538 profile image61
      ra538posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Religion is a spiritual belief right? Well i believe the peaceful religions are not ones that appear in the media for any sort of reason. Christianity, catholics, jews, muslims are all religions that have sponsered some sort of massacre or war in the existence so clearly that cannot be true. buddhism will probably be a clear choice if you're talking about mainstream religions.

1. recommend1 profile image61
        recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Buddhism isn't completely clean either, in its history it's supporters have had their violent moments, less than most it would seem, but still.  It was suppressed in China only 2000 years ago when it tried to 'take over' the country, its main opponent was, and still is, Taoism.  In Tibet we consider Buddhism to be a really high form of religion, and yet it was used to keep its people in absolute poverty, denying them the basics of modern life, medicine and education.

However, very few religions manage to equal the Christian record of the most horrendous suppression all through the middle ages - with its witch hunts and inquisition only the most recorded issues.  Christianity's role in the violent colonisation and enslavement of the 'new' world and Africa is a blood soaked story of treachery and pure evil, led by the Christians as arbiters of morals who preached justification for it all !   Now the Christians are fully behind the violent foreign policies that have seen the destruction of Iraq, Libya, and the pointless suppression of Iran and Syria, among many other smaller countries such as those in South America.  Hardly any surprise that the Muslims under such prolonged and vicious attack are rapidly becoming second to the Christians.

1. ra538 profile image61
          ra538posted 11 years agoin reply to this

i concur with your second paragraph however i am uninformed on the history of buddhism so i can't really rebuttal your argument. But it is pleasant to know that. Its amazing how even the most "peaceful" religions are soon used as a tool for war and justification for massacres. it gives way to the belief that maybe these atheists have been right all along. Please don't get me started on the christian church or islamic faith.

1. recommend1 profile image61
            recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Historically religion seems to have been a trading tool and a means of gaining access to other countries before diplomacy.  Hardly surprising then that the Catholic church invented diplomacy and the correspondingly necessary invention of the 'legal person'.

5. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am an agnostic not atheist... But I like Zoroastrianism

Zoroastrianism is one the oldest religions in the world. It is definitely one of the first monotheist religions. It was founded by Zoroaster and it believes in one God, Ahura Mazda. There are very few Zoroastrians in the world today but it still holds an important place. A large part of their population is divided between Iran and India. The Zoroastrians living in India are called Parsis.

There is also a communities of them in the US, they are also one of the religions in Iran seen as threatened and therefore are accepted in the US as refuges.

INTERESTING FACTS

* Zoroastrianism is supposed to have been a major influence on the religions of Christianity and Judaism who may have borrowed the ideas of heaven and hell from this religion.

* Zoroastrianism believes in the purity and goodness of all of God's creations and thus they are very careful not to pollute and destroy river and trees. Thus, it is often called the first ecological religion ever.

6. pedrog profile image60
      pedrogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There you go:

http://kopimistsamfundet.se/english/

A peaceful religion.

Actually, I'm might convert to this one big_smile

I'm not against anything, just not for so much of the strangle hold of the very rich and over Government.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

No religion is intrinsically peaceful.  That is a function of how it influences behavior within the entire cultural context.

Yes, you would need to protect your Religion which causes conflicts and  world's wars.  I wonder if agnostics are more peaceful and by having no Religion, means more peace.

Most people want to join another fight club, or pack, not me, I love peace

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting how a well placed coma changes that. (after the first word) big_smile

3. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 11 years ago

It's not the religion, it's the fanatics (that claim to be part of a religion) that pull crap in the name of their god. BS

1. Sapper profile image63
      Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes and no. Both the old and new testament are fairly violent, old more than new, and although I haven't actually read it yet, the koran is full of violence from what I hear. You can't put all the blame on fanatics when their strategy guide calls for you to kill everyone that looks at you funny.

More people have been killed in the name of God or Gods than for any other reason.

Is this only coincident or co-in-sides with Religion and most predominate wars and conflicts today?

4. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

I tend to have the utmost respect for people who mind their own business and don't try to sell me a slice of their favorite prophet at every street corner. Therefore, Buddhism and Amish would get my vote on this one

5. Mark Johann profile image60
    Mark Johannposted 11 years ago

Religion is for peace. Quarrel comes when one disrespects one's feelings and belief. Forgive me but I am just being simple and practical. I am a profound Catholic. Thank you friends around here.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

You contradict yourself and only serve to show religion is not for peace, after you made this thread...

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/105372

1. mattforte profile image88
        mattforteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Baaaahahahaa. I hate religious crap on HubPages but this made me rofflewaffle. Called out son!

2. profile image0
      Peelander Gallyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are being anything but simple and practical, for what you say makes no sense and what you believe raises far more questions than it answers. If religion were peace, would we all be arguing about it all the time? Would people the world over be killing each other, rioting and burning things in the name of this or that God? Probably not.

1. Mark Johann profile image60
        Mark Johannposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Religion doesn't kill, leaders are, people are using religion to gain more. Read your history. We can have religion without hurting other people. Even people without religion have some wars within their own selves and to his neighbors.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

Since religions have had many, many centuries to prove itself worthy, it failed miserably and continues to harm people.

We can deal with those problems later, right now, we're trying to deal with the problem of religion causing conflict and war.

1. A Troubled Woman profile image57
            A Troubled Womanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Bill, did you decide to talk about Big Bang with me in YT?

lol

6. profile image0
    Peelander Gallyposted 11 years ago

Religion is the best reason around to hate and kill. When Dubya slipped and called the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan a "crusade", he wasn't kidding. Look at how the American media vilifies Islam, and vice versa. The "But they're the ones who are evil and who hate us!" argument on both sides ensures mutual entrapment in an endless loop of violence, because both sides harbour less-than-secret aspirations of world domination. It starts with simply believing that everyone else is wrong, and then you start to demonise groups you see as threatening, and before you know it, all the non-believers need to learn about the true God from the mouth of an AK. I'm still looking for an example of a war waged by non-theists.

7. kathleenkat profile image84
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Buddhism.

It is the only religion I can think of that doesn't get used as an excuse for people to be assholes.

LO

2. seanorjohn profile image70
      seanorjohnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would add Quakers. They have always supported indiginous people, civil rights, are anti- war and strike me as gentle non judgemental people. Many seem to work in the caring services and Quaker business leaders in the 19th century  were model employers treating their workforce fairly and with dignity.

8. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I'm a Aboriginal FN person of Canada. We have 'teachings' that is basic common sense and got to learn to 'live' them. Wisdom, love, respect, courage, humility, honesty and forgiveness, and we don't get a lot of peace but do our best to be so.

Native North American's are one of my spiritual leader in a good general sense because they live and pratice strongly to the laws of nature.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)