Could page layout be affecting my Google traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Melovy profile image92
    Melovyposted 11 years ago

In line with advice a few months ago, I changed the layout of several hubs so that the top part contains a full-size photograph, and layout almost all my new hubs this way. (Studies suggest this is what readers find most attractive and so are likely to read on.)

However, I have read several times that advertisements above the fold and thin content above the old are frowned upon by Google. I'm guessing a photo counts as thinner content than text. (And my traffic has roughly halved since the update in September.)

I blocked ads in Firefox so that I didn't accidentally click on them and occasionally check the hub layout in another browser, and I hadn't checked this for a while. Now it seems that the arrangement of ads has changed. There are extra ads across the top and even down the side of the full size photo, so that
    With a full-size photo across the front of page means that now all that shows up above the fold is a photo and several ads. On my most recent hub there are 6 ads visible above the fold and scrolling down just a little shows up another 3.

Has anyone found a way of arranging text and photos that can make this layout more Google-friendly?

For HubPages staff: are you planning to rearrange this to reduce the number of ads above the fold?

1. Sapper profile image63
      Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It can, but you have to remember all of the search engines use bots, not people, to "look at" your page. To the bot, your picture isn't a picture, it's one line of code with a description.

September 21 or 22 was a fairly big update for Google's algorithms that affected a fair amount of searches. It's wrecked havoc on quite a few peoples traffic.

1. Gypsy Willow profile image66
        Gypsy Willowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It has devastated my page views. Any thing owned by google eg Wikipedia gets first look. My stuff just doesn't come up any more. I get a tenth of my old scores. I don't think there is anything one can do about it. sad

2. Melovy profile image92
        Melovyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Sapper. I hadn't thought of that. It sounds as if that means the size of photo isn't a huge issue.
        It's the first time I've ever been hit by an update, and my traffic is not yet recovering while some people I know have recovered, so I am looking to see what I can do.

It was a pretty big update, affected 2.4% of the search results, which for Google is millions.

Gypsy, if your keywords have a wiki at the top, you need to get more specific to get better results. As an example, I have a pit bull blog. If I tried to rank any of my posts for the keyword pit bull, I'd never get any traffic. But when I write about pit bull attacks, or how to train pit bulls, or something more specific, it gets a lot easier to rank.

Wiki's are authority sites, unless you have millions hidden away somewhere, you'll never overtake an authority site regardless of who runs it. Trying is like trying to overtake Facebook for the keyword social media, it's not gonna happen.

Also, as a FYI, Google doesn't own Wikipedia.

1. Gypsy Willow profile image66
            Gypsy Willowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ooops! I meant youtube. Thanks for your response . I was watching a video on hubber Mark Knowles FB page. I can't see things getting  better!

Ah, yea YouTube. I feel you there. I have a couple YouTube video's in my way too. It does get annoying seeing video's with really nothing to do with the keyword out ranking my posts.

Problem with YouTube though is the more views it gets, the higher Google ranks it. Doesn't mean much for out ranking them, but kinda a catch-22 for getting a video ranked.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

If it's not working for you, I would change it and see if you get better results. Depending on the topic, a large photograph may or may not be the best strategy.  I posted a helpful link a few days ago about effective 2012 on page optimization from the guys at SEOMOZ.  http://www.seomoz.org/blog/getting-onpa … ard-friday

1. Melovy profile image92

Thanks rebekahELLE, I have watched that video and I think there's probably several aspects I could improve, including summaries. I will try varying the photo size in the next few weeks on a few hubs and see if it makes any difference. I've also discovered I hadn't completed the steps for Google authorship, and I think I've now done that. (But not sure so I'm off to test it now.)

3. bdegiulio profile image97
    bdegiulioposted 11 years ago

Melovy, you wrote:  "I've also discovered I hadn't completed the steps for Google authorship, and I think I've now done that."

What does this mean?  Not sure I understand what needs to be done for Google Authorship?

That is telling Google you own the content, basically. You know when you do a search and sometimes a small pic will show up next to a result? That's Authorship. It helps you sell the brand that is you.

2. Melovy profile image92

bdegiulio, I am definitely not the right person to advise you on this as I am not convinced I've done it properly. Glenn Stokk has written a hub about it called: "How To Claim Your Authorship With Google" that explains it.  http://glennstok.hubpages.com/hub/compl … directions
      Rachel Rodhardt has also written a hub that covers it. http://rachelroodhardt.hubpages.com/hub … gle-Search

4. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Is there slim chance page 1 anymore. Need lots long tail keywords. Maybe write for fun.

5. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Sorry went off subject.  I have authorship through following Greekgeek hub instructions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)