Kateri Tekakwitha's canonization.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Rad Manposted 11 years ago

All they were waiting for is a miracle and they believe they got it when  Jake Finkbonner, a boy from Washington State was infected by a flesh-eating bacterium in his face. His face was opened and much of his face was removed and he of course was given meds to fight the infection, but the infection seemed to be winning. A local church prayed to Kateri and eventually the boy recovered. The Vatican deemed this a miracle, the doctor said that the medication may have started working.

Thoughts?

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.  If there is a discrepancy, the Church has the responsibility to wait until it has been resolved before canonization.

1. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's my understanding the vatican doesn't see any discrepancy.

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm.  I'm going to have to check into this myself.  smile  Be back.

2. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

http://www.mercurynews.com/california/c … merican-be

Here's an interesting article.  My take on it is that doctors had declared the boy already incurable and were not treating him any longer?  Did I miss something?

1. profile image0

"You could always look at this and say that the surgery cured him or the intensive care doctors cured him or the medicines finally kicked in," Dr. Hopper said. "But it was really an incredible day when he did turn the corner because it wasn't something we took for granted at any time."

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

From the link...

"But for her to become a saint, another miracle attributed to her intercession was needed. In 2006, a young boy from Washington state contracted a flesh-eating bacteria that spread over his face. Doctors said the disease was incurable. His family, devout Catholics, prayed to Blessed Kateri. The boy's condition improved, so much so that he was released from the hospital, according to various reports."

It appears the boy stayed at the hospital until after his condition improved even though the doctors said the disease was incurable. They already knew that but were treating him anyways. The question is at what point did they stop treating him while he was in the hospital before his condition improved, if that was indeed the case?

1. profile image0

From the article I read at www.cbc.ca they have not stopped treatment. He was of course on heavy medication to fight the infections.

"You could always look at this and say that the surgery cured him or the intensive care doctors cured him or the medicines finally kicked in," Dr. Hopper said. "But it was really an incredible day when he did turn the corner because it wasn't something we took for granted at any time."

"I certainly believe in miracles," Dr. Hopper says, adding though that "it's a different meaning for everyone. I'm just really happy when things work out well."

Father Sauer was more convinced. He assembled evidence and testimony from the doctors and sent it to Rome.

It's interesting that one article says it was incurable and the other says it could have gone either way. One of the two is clearly lying.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

From this link, it doesn't say much about being incurable, but at the end of the article is a list of notable people who have contracted it, and they all appear to have survived.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrotizing_fasciitis

1. profile image0

Are you saying someone is lying for Jesus?

1. profile image0
              jomineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When they do it for Jesus,they do not call it lying. Besides they are too eager to confirm Jesus, they forget to check facts.
              A single person surviving a crash is a miracle for Jesus while they conveniently forget the hundreds that died.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

Does the Pope make the world safe for pedophiles?

3. grand old lady profile image85
              grand old ladyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, people lie for Jesus and they honestly believe they are making things better that way. Basically, people lie for everybody anyway. People just lie, some more than others, some pathologically.

2. profile image0
            jomineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Necrotizing fasciitis is not rare. Though very difficult to control, it usually does not kill people unless the persons receive medical care very late into the disease or he is immunocompromised or has other serious co- morbidities. Though I have not seen it affecting face, I've seen so many limb cases. Irrespective of the prognosis, the patient is given higher antibiotics and thorough debridement Is done to remove dead tissues and bacteria on the Dead tissues.

3. grand old lady profile image85
    grand old ladyposted 11 years ago

They are also making some Filipino saints, too. I think the Vatican wants to have more minorities among their saints. I have doubts however about how they prove these people to be saints and miracles and stuff because of the way they are trying to rush the sainthood of Pope John Paul II. True, he was a great pope, but too many corners were crossed in pushing his sainthood.

I believe in miracles, and I believe that saints are just ordinary people who have a personal relationship with Jesus. But as a former Catholic I loved reading about saints and in that sense, will still like them but see them more for who they are than as special because of miracles. Life itself is already a miracle.

4. A Troubled Man profile image57
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

Again, from the link...

"The Kateri Circle was formed 30 years ago to spread the word about the saint-to-be as well as to reach out to Native Americans who have lost faith in the Catholic Church.

Some also said her sainthood could heal old wounds between Native Americans and the Catholic Church.

"This will hopefully bring more awareness of the indigenous people," said Sylvia Mendivil Salazar, coordinator for Native American Concerns for the Archdiocese of Los Angeles Ministry.

Mendivil Salazar, who is of the Akimel O'odham/Yaqui tribe, said she is glad the church is continuing to honor native people.

"The native people have waited for many years for her canonization," she said. "Her canonization is very much what's needed in the world right now, which is to take care of Mother Earth."

For some reason, red flags are going up and I get the impression the Catholic Church is merely paying lip service for the atrocities committed on the Native Americans in the name of Catholicism and the Kateri Circle is the political affront for that.

5. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 11 years ago

It's amazing how the Spaniards tortured the Native people of the Americas into accepting Christianity, with all types of atrocities, including chopping off limbs, decapitations, vicious dog attacks, burning people alive, disemboweling, smashing infants brains out, and boiling people alive. 

Why would Native Americans want anything to do with this diabolical bull----, that laid waste to their people?

1. profile image0

You've reminded me of the Canadian Indian residential school system. Residential boarding schools for aboriginal people of Canada where until 1996 children were taken from there parents and put in residential schools and this was administered by Christian churches.
      Removing the children from their families, depriving them of their ancestral languages, and exposing many of them to physical and sexual abuse at the hands of their teachers and other students was the order of the day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)