Mitt Admits Companies are Dodging Taxes

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

"I'm going to champion small business. We've got to make it easier for small businesses. Big business is doing fine in many places -– they get the loans they need, they can deal with all the regulation. They know how to find ways to get through the tax code, save money by putting various things in the places where there are low tax havens around the world for their businesses. But small business is getting crushed."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/2 … 26597.html

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Essentially he's suggesting the government should make it easier for small businesses to outsource jobs and hide money in offshore tax shelters, too.

I can see the campaign slogan now:
      "Build your business while we rebuild America.
      Ship your jobs and your assets to a foreign country."

roll

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah when he is actually honest, you see what kind of statements he makes.  He's absurd.

1. shea duane profile image59
          shea duaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

30 years ago when I was in college, I had an econ professor who said that outsourcing jobs would kill the US economy, and that businesses who tried it should face huge fees that supported job creation aka FDR. He said that Americans should think: pay an american worker, pay american taxes, act like you love america. At the time, reagan had just cut my work study program and made getting student loans more difficult. I thought, 'loving america is getting tougher.' but we are a work in progress. i do love america and i think we should all be out there trying to make american live up to her potential... like paying taxes, not outsourcing, protecting the land and air, employing americans and offering living wages, and we need to stop 'othering' people the way some politicians do for votes. also, medicare needs to continue... do we want old people dying in pain in charity homes? romney doesn't see the big picture. he associates dollar signs and votes. what about people, romney?

1. profile image0

People are only good if they can help turn a profit in eyes of people like Romney.  His pick of Ryan shows he has very little regard for people who are not wealthy.  The feigned outrage over the Democratic strategist that said Ann Romney hadn't worked a day in her life was completely without credibility due to the fact that Mitt Romney wants to cut welfare programs for single mothers who need them.  Again, absurd.

It's morally unacceptable to be against universal health care.  It's morally unacceptable to be against regulations THAT WILL PREVENT people from being poisoned.  It's not a question anymore. 

The Republican party has gone mad.  The Democrats are the moderate Republicans of the past, and the Republicans are now something else.  They aren't libertarians, because they want theocracy, corporate subsides, and endless imperialism.  I'm not sure what they are anymore.

2. GA Anderson profile image88
            GA Andersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@shea duane - If I asked if you had ever owned a business, I suspect the answer would be no. But if you did own  a small business - would you think it fair that the government could tell you how to run it? Who to hire? Where you could make your product?

So if you made your widget in USA and it cost you  $20 to put it on a retail shelf, and Samsung could put it on the retail shelf for  $15, you would be out of business, but... if you had you widget made in the Philippines you could put it on the retail shelf for $12 ----- what do you do? Go out of business because Samsung can sell cheaper - or cut your expenses and use the Philippines product?

Another - you are a small business looking to hire an employee to work weekends so you can be off with your family. The accountant and your P&L says you can afford to pay a minimum wage worker at $9 p/hr. But.... a living minimum wage is $12 p/hr - which your business just cannot afford. Do you forgo hiring a worker at $9 and keep working weekends, or do you hire one at $12, (which you can't afford), and lay them off 6 weeks later to keep from going bankrupt?

"... old people dying in charity homes..." I need $20 to feed my family, the "charity home" needs $20 to house an elderly person, does my family go hungry in order to give the $20 to the "charity home?" Remember - government does not have any money that it does not take from a taxpayer first!

"Kum ba ya" is a nice sentiment - but it does not put food on the table - or fix a problem, and should you care to research what you appear to preach - FDR was well outside legal and constitutional bounds. He even tried to "pack the court", (increasing judge seats from 9 to 13 to get his "people" on the bench),  to circumvent constitutional requirements. Be careful what you wish for.

GA

1. profile image0

Your answer highlights the incentives in Capitalism to destroy the dignity of human beings by devaluing their humanity and paying them slave wages (remember, slavery covers ALL basic necessities, such as water, food, and shelter, and minimum wage does not even cover that). 

This analysis is very well thought out, and it perfectly shows everything that is wrong with the incentive structure of our current economic organization.

1. GA Anderson profile image88

Is that the "official" definition of "slavery" or your definition? Or did you just misread my response? YOU are the small business owner, AND you have a finite amount of money you can spend on labor.

So since YOU can't afford to pay the defined "living wage," do you continue to work 7 days a week AND deprive someone who WANTS to work for ANY wage a job?

If I were qualified, and capable of running a restaurant, but no jobs were available - is my dignity destroyed if I am willing to take a dish washing job at $8 p/hr in order to buy food? Or do I let my kids go hungry because they aren't paying a "living" wage to wash dishes.

Gesh... get real. Life is tough, then you die. What you do in-between is the measure of your character. Where do you think YOU would be without our system of capitalism?

GA

1. profile image0

You are begging the question (logical fallacy, not the way the media misuses it)  http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacie … stion.html 

You are describing what I must do WITHIN Capitalism to be successful, rather than FIRST defending the validity of Capitalism.  Do you understand what I'm saying?  It would be like saying, you must do x, y, and z to survive as a serf, and when someone asks whether being a serf is even acceptable, you continue to explain what a serf must do under feudalism.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, and that is the problem.

As to your point about slavery, it would be like saying, "the definition of marriage in the dictionary is between one man and one woman."  What happens when the dictionary changes?  That's already happening.  Dictionaries give you what the rough popular usage is of a term.  It doesn't necessarily capture the full essence.

1. GA Anderson profile image88

@Sooner - thanks for the link, it was very astute of you to know that I would not have a clue as to what "begging the question" would mean. Perhaps you could also help with "strawman argument" and "red herring?"

Your response seems to be an instance of "apples and oranges" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apples_and_oranges

the thread appears to be about certain aspects of capitalism, ie. taxes and labor - not a comparison of capitalism vs something else. It is the system we currently have, and my response was a realistic one given that parameter, there was no "begging the question..." That would be an entirely different question.

So, back to my illustration - hypothetically, you are earning your living and supporting your family as a small businessman; so, to recap; minimum wage is $7.65 p/hr, a "living" wage is deemed to be about $15 p/hr. The truth of your business income dictates you can pay as much as $9 p/hr, but would go out of business at $15 - so what would you do? Continue to work 7 days a week and hire no one? And deprive someone of the opportunity to at least earn $9 p/hr (which is better than being unemployed at $0 p/hr)?

Some government regulation of business practices is very much needed, but unrealistic dictates based on idealism instead of reality are very much counter-productive and harmful to everyone's ability to earn a living - from the dishwasher to the ceo

ps. I would be more than happy to defend capitalism - history provides centuries of examples of failed alternatives. It is not the system that is the problem, it is the character failure of some people that is the problem, ie. human nature, greed, avarice, envy, etc. etc. etc.  Would not those same people and characteristics be in whatever "other" system you propose? I am sure you don't need me to point out the vividly clear examples of that, in just recent history.

GA

2. tirelesstraveler profile image60
        tirelesstravelerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Apparently you and I don't know the same kind of small business owners.  The ones I know work their fingers to the bone.  I worked for a small business where the owners worked from 9am to 11pm 362 days a year.They took Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day off.  They owned the business for 10 years.  A small business, a small toy store supplements  income by the wife teaching music lessons in the store.   Who outsources the catering done at weddings etc..  Those caterers are small businesses who probably make around $250,000 a year if they work hard and are efficient.  If you own a small business you pay a 14%  self employment tax before you pay your own salary. Then you pay income tax. If you have an employee you pay social security, and workers comp, and medical  before you pay your own salary, If you go into homes you put up a security bond. You have to buy your business license before you pay your own salary.  Most small business fail within five years, because they don't have a good business plan, they were unprepared for the year or two it takes where all you do is pay out without profit, or they quit because the red tape is not worth the bother,
        Small businesses employ one or two people if they can, but that is optimistic,
        What makes you believe small businesses outsource?

Perhaps you misunderstood my attempt at humor.
          The very idea that small businesses, which you rightly point out are very time and labor-intensive COULD outsource, is absurd.
          My point was (or was intended to be) that to help small businesses you can't simply apply what's worked for big business on a mass scale and expect it to work for small businesses.
          Federal tax loopholes are several layers removed from the primary financial hurdles these business owners must scale.

Clearer now? Or did I make it worse?

1. tirelesstraveler profile image60
            tirelesstravelerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, my humor has been lost this week.  You are right.

Maybe our humors have gone off somewhere to regenerate.
              Getting spa treatments. Hot stone massage, seaweed wraps. Sipping green tea.
              They will return refreshed on Monday.
              smile

2. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is such a thing as tax avoidance and I don't slight anyone for that as we all do that. Dodging has to be within legal parameters provided within the tax code. Is Mitt part of the big corps, that are sheltering income illegally?  I want to know, MITT WHERE ARE THOSE TAX RETURNS!? This is not going to go away. I am certainly not going to allow these people to have a party on my dime.

Not that they aren't already and haven't been for years!

3. profile image56
      atheistchickposted 11 years agoin reply to this

not shit Sherlock (to Romney) small businesses are dying out because of big corporate companies are taking over. People rather go to a Taco Bell than a truly authentic Mexican restaurant...that's why opening a small business is very tricky. Open at your own risk basically

1. profile image0

I had to go back and read what I was even talking about in this forum.

Romney  has only gotten worse since I started it tongue.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Stumbled upon this Feb 2012 article "The Dark Side of Mitt Romney" and thought some of y'all would be interested.
    It's long but really shows how Romney thinks, what he values, how he approaches "people" issues (the stories about him as a Mormon leader in Boston area chilled me to the bone). And then there's the Bain years.
    Essentially, if we want a president who will apply leveraged buyout tactics as economic policies to the US, if we want a president who categorically sees women as second-class citizens (except, of course, for his saintly but apparently none too rational wife, Ann), then Romney is the guy.
    It's not blue blood running through his veins. It's ice.
    *shudder.*

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2012 … ney-201202

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the link and a look into the soul of Mitt Romney.  Just 12 months ago, if you have spoken about a Mormon as their standard bearer, any rightwinger would cringe. But hatred of Barack Obama is at such a fever ptich that Satan himself would now be a viable candidate for them, too bad. The article revealed the aristocratic as well of the autocratic nature of Mitt Romney. How long can he shroud those aspects of his character from the general public will be the challenge of the next 70 days....

When they say ANYBODY but Obama, they do mean ANYBODY.
        To be fair, though. It was a mere 12 years ago, 8 years ago and 4 years ago that some of us were screaming Anybody but Bush!
        lol

3. Reality Bytes profile image73
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQscz6OkqMu8Ry8v8rOwzxrJgEIKpA0ONAoRtuz5Vb9hGhHtF1tlA

Something to consider!

1. profile image0

Taking a patient infected with gangrene, diabetic, and suffers from heavy migraines and blaming the doctor for not "fixing" them immediately is equivalent to how most people blame Obama for the economy.

Or, perhaps my analogy is off.  I would say it is, because the President has very little impact on the economy.  Unless they do something DRASTIC, changing marginal tax rates, or reducing a few regulations, is not going to "goose" anything.

Demand is the key.  When there is high demand, businesses have confidence that their coffers will stay full, and that they can expand.  If people's incomes are sinking, and they don't have the disposable income they once did, which is what the recent PEW analysis found, it's not even close to surprising that the economy isn't doing very well.

Add on to this the insidious effect of outsourcing, and increasing technological productivity (which does more with machines, which by implication uses less workers), and the future doesn't look bright.

4. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

Funny, because this is exactly what Mitt wants to fix, yet somehow he gets blasted on it for knowing about it and taking advantage of it, as well as trying to fix it...

ATTACK FROM BOTH SIDES!!!

1. profile image0

You know, I don't disagree with the idea of reducing rates and eliminating deductions.

I'd just want to make sure it helps lower the deficit, I also want to make sure middle class taxes are not raised.

Romney doesn't seem trustworthy on either front.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)