A Question About Replying To Comments

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

A great hubber (ralwus) just called me out on another thread about replying to comments.  I am glad he did because I can get the answer I need now.

Is it okay to do a blanket comment every few comments or should we be replying to every comment.

I just want to do things right in here.

Thanks ralwus

Cheers

1. RKHenry profile image65
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ralwus works the system real well.  He is definitely one to follow.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Everybody does it their own way. I personally do both, depending on the mood and the volume of replies.

I think Charlies point was not how to reply, but if you do this at all smile

Dale Mazurekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

I have been but truth be told maybe not enough.  That will change right now

3. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

I personaly, would never be offended if someone did not reply to my comment. thats not why I comment. I do try real hard to acknowledge people on my own hubs though. Sometimes its hard,  I dont know what to say, and I feel lame saying..oh, thanks, over and over..but I do mean it so I say it. I am considering buying a thesuarus. (sorry, still no spell check.)  ha ha

This response makes a lot of sense as well.

I too wont reply to everyone for the exact reason you gave above but I will start replying more where I should be.

Thanks

4. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Misha smile you is such a darling. Dale, responding to comments gives you opportunity to interact with your fans wink all about how you want to be perceived I would imagine smile

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Luv ya too Dame smile

5. Mrvoodoo profile image59
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

I guess good etiquette as the Ralwus suggests is that yes, you should definitely respond to comments as thoroughly as possible.

Me, I'm terrible at this, because I don't really do the whole HP fan-fan swapsy thing, most of my comments (if any) come from genuine visitors from Google etc., and chances are they're never going to return anyway, so I put it off, then I forget, or just plain can't be arsed.

I guess I should go and reply though just in case... smile

6. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

Dale are you getting to like us more now....

Lol, there is no one I dislike here. 

I just want to be a contributing member here at HubPages.  Sometimes that will mean a difference of opinion but thats ok, I have thick skin.

There is a varying wealth of knowledge here that I am paying close attention to for learning purposes.

Everyone here is great

Cheers

7. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

Love Ya Back...... Write some more hubs for us to read...

8. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

well Dale-- When a hubber responds to a comment you leave on their hub, it lets you know that they not only received the comment, but appreciated it. Makes the reader want to continue commenting.
    Also, the more you answer comments on your hubs, the more they show up in hubtivity so there is a bonus for you too, as it may draw more readers to your hubs.
    I try to comment back as soon as I can. I prefer to comment to each one but if I get a lot of comments overnight and have to answer them in the morning, then it's one long answer after a group of comments, I still respond to each one, though. Include their name in my response so they know I saw their comment and appreciate it.
    The blanket comments are a response, but kind of makes the commenter feel like you didn't have time to read their comment and aren't going to take time to respond.

Great advice which I will take very seriously

Thanks

2. dwilliamson profile image59
      dwilliamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Janetta, that is awesome advice. I do the same thing on my hubs too.

9. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

I like to reply to all my comments, I figure if someone takes time to leave a comment then I can make time to reply plus it gets some interaction going as well. I do however sometimes miss comments on older hubs, jeeez I ain't that good ya know !

Ive been told you are pretty good  lol

More good advice.

Thank you

1. profile image0
        Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No. no!! Didin't you read the sign Dale?!?!

"DO NOT FEED THE PIRATE"  his ego, that is wink

1. profile image49
          badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jeeez will ya shut up, I was buttering him up smile

2. profile image49

No probs, enjoy yer fishing smile

10. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Timing your comments can help you get more internal traffic too because it shows up on the hubtivity report. I just lerned too that leaving comments helps in SEO by giving the hub importance to the search engines and getting your more external traffic.

1. soni2006 profile image76
      soni2006posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second this post.

11. profile image0

Don't listen to him, Dale--he's only after your fish wink
    He is a pirate after all lol

HaHa, obviously I have a lot to learn about some of the sinister ways around here lol.

Now how the heck do I write hubs if Im in the forum all day  lol

Cheers

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

You don't. You just hang out here tongue

1. profile image49

smile

2. Dale Mazurek profile image62

I have to admit it is a lot of fun

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL it is, and it is extremely  addictive, as you already noticed. I tried to quit several times to no avail. sad And this is from the person who quit smoking cold turkey after 35 years...

*trying to unglue himself from the screen and keyboard and finally go and do some house work...*

1. profile image49

I knew that pic was 40 years old smile

1. Misha profile image63

LOL BC, this one is just 3 or four years old, I don;t remember exactly, but it was about the time I quit smoking smile

1. profile image49

LOl only joking mate, jeeez I wish I had your willpower to kick the booze into touch, well done you !

2. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

first cabin girl distracted me with her lack of pants, then the whole fish episode, then I got all worked up about my lack of spell check..now this!!! HOW will I EVER get anything done? I think I have a problem....

1. Mrvoodoo profile image59
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Starting to wonder if it might be an idea to quit before it becomes too late...

It's a lovely sunny day here, and I can see people sat on the beach and paddling in the sea through my window, but here I am, inside, on HP. big_smile

1. profile image0
          dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh. what is wrong with you.....GO OUTSIDE!!!! enjoy the sun for me...I havent seen it in weeks....

14. profile image0

Misha-I keep meaning to tell you that I love the new pic. big_smile

1. Misha profile image63

Thanks Janetta, I like it too smile I think I look much more enlightened here than in reality wink

15. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

K, promise you, I am outta here for a couple of hours at least!

*scratching his head in a doubt if he's able to keep the promise* big_smile

16. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

Don't be fooled by the sun. I gave up HP to sunbathe yesterday and I got burnt everywhere. HA! Not making that mistake again. Staying indoors on HP today.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)