Contest-Friendly Weekly Topic Inspiration: Product Reviews

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (54 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Starting on October 31st (at 12:00pm PT), our Rigorous Review Contest goes live, meaning that any Hub you write containing a single or multiple person Ratings Capsule will be automatically entered to win anything between $25 and $200 (before submitting an entry, be sure to read through the full contest rules and details).

To make it easy for you to participate in both the contest AND Weekly Topic Inspiration, we will be promoting contest-friendly themes all month, starting with product reviews. Should you have purchased something about which you you can share some valuable information, make a Hub about it!

We recommend reviewing multiple products, or titling reviews by category and not actual product names (since it is difficult to compete with commerce sites with specific product keywords).

Don’t have a particular Hub in mind? Here are some search-friendly titles to consider using:
    Fabulous Food Packaging Supplies
    Essential Camping Supplies
    Cool Cooking Supplies
    Trustworthy Hiking Supplies
    Marvelous Makeup Supplies
    Must-Have Components to Build a Bento Box Lunch
    The Best Over-the-Range Microwave
    Must Have Items in a Disaster Preparedness Kit
    Essential Emergency Supplies
    The Best Convection Microwave
    Adorable Lunch Boxes for Kids
    Body Jewelry: A Primer
    Good Watches for Women
    The Best Stainless Steel Lunch Box
    Great Christmas Presents for Clean Freaks
    Good Birthday Gifts for Bosses
    Necessary Components of an Emergency Supply Kit
    Groomsmen Gifts for Tech Lovers
    Camping Gear for the Great Outdoors
    Rugged and Durable Sleeping Bags
    Presents for Men Who Love Cars
    Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
    Practical Bridal Shower Gifts

To create search-friendly titles of your own, follow the steps outlined in this Learning Center guide.

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

Would you like your WTI Hub to have a shot at becoming a Hub of the Day as well as winning a cash prize in the contest? Make sure the images are legally used and properly attributed!

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Simone,
      Here's the link to my contest entry for product reviews:
      http://janshares.hubpages.com/_2eao4rze … Seasonings
      I chose this product, as I posted under Weekly Topic Inspiration, because I'm a low-salt, low-sodium gal who is health conscious about eating right. I love these products because they add lots of flavor without too much salt.
      I hope I posted everything correctly. Please let me know if I need to make corrections.

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi janshares! It's a lovely review- I like your clear formatting and the original images! Unfortunately, because you published it before October 31st at noon PT, it is not counted as a contest entry! I do hope you'll submit more review Hubs in the coming weeks that will be counted. big_smile

1. janshares profile image93
          jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Uh no!!!!! I thought I needed to get it in BY noon. I'm in tears. I cant believe it, I tried so hard. Ugh, Im so disappointed.

2. tillsontitan profile image83
        tillsontitanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You'll have everyone looking for salt substitutes!

2. GoodLady profile image92
    GoodLadyposted 11 years ago

The USA market products are different to products from the rest of the world.  Wondering if cleaning products from my country (Italy) or England or Australia for example are as 'universal' as USA products are?  I notice every day that recipes that are popular have ingredients you can usually only get in USA - and not elsewhere.
    This could affect the popularity of a review.  For example, if you live in Italy and you love a Marsiglia spray soap product over all the others on our market, what good is that to an American? 
    In your helpful list of 'supplies', the brands will be different in each country.

Thought I'd mention this since it will have an effect on people's Hub popularity.

1. kathleenkat profile image83
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Although HubPages is used all over the world, I have noticed that the vast majority of my traffic comes from the USA and Canada. Check your Google Analytics to determine where your traffic comes from. If it's anything like mine, writing with an American audience in mind may do you well for popularity.

1. watergeek profile image94
        watergeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I read about some of the most successful hubbers once, and discovered a woman from the Philippines (or was it Thailand?) with over 4,000 followers. They weren't from the US, but from locations that had strong communities from her country, like the UAE, Indonesia, Thailand, etc.

I do agree that the US is a big market, though, and since most of HP's hubbers come from here, it's natural that the majority of readers would too (since we write their language about things they know). Perhaps someone from Italy could write and do their marketing with a regional European audience in mind and draw people in that way? What can happen in a month, if someone starts now?

2. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Down here in Australasia - Brooms and Vacuum Cleaners are still used Universally!  smile
      Do you have access up there to cleaning products that can remove kangaroo stains?  sad

If we do, only the zoos would know, unfortunately. Anyone here on HP work in a zoo? wink

3. Simone Smith profile image87

That's such a good question, GoodLady, and y'all have some good answers, too.
      I say that the more universal a Hub is, the better. If it is not too hard to share several different product suggestions catering to different countries, go for it!

4. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is worth considering. The dilemma of hub popularity at the community of hubpages vs. the Google or internet market place of article indexing. I wonder if an option could be considered with the content. The content from my understanding would be the power source. The relays of where that power goes to could be considered. (Note: I just reviewed below, so I don't know if this has been considered or not yet)

I suggestion may be utilize both. Write the content with English seeking the popular review. Next, in text capsules on the right in blue or gray write the 'substitute with X for Y if you are living in the UK or Italy or A. Some exploring and the discovery process may require some time, yet maybe it will offer a niche too. Not having a deep understanding of those web crawlers, who knows how they may index something like that.

I'm even curious of the Ebay store ID being used with stores from Ebay Australia and UK. I wonder. Could the generic name in the search descriptor and the specific store be used to show products specific to that region being the UK or Australia Ebay sign in stores. Or. the option of displaying both a USA market product and a regional market by store specific ID. Does anyone know if that feature is possible with Amazon?

3. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

I had a couple of question about this. 

Since you recommend writing a review on more than one product, how do you recommend dealing with the limit of one review capsule per hub? 

Also, do you have to do anything to submit your hub to the contest, other than create a hub that has a ratings capsule and meets the other criteria?

Thanks

Shasta

Good questions Shasta. I recommend using the Ratings Capsule for the product you think is best and to which you would like to devote the most attention.

You do not have to do anything special to submit your Hub. Just include a Ratings Capsule set to single or multiple person reviews.

4. Austinstar profile image83
    Austinstarposted 11 years ago

I picked Essential Camping Supplies as my last hub of my apprenticeship program, a weekly topic inspiration and my first entry into the new contest! A Three-fer.
    Enjoy:
    http://austinstar.hubpages.com/hub/Esse … ic-Gourmet

I'm all for multi-taskers! Love it!

Interesting and totally useful!  Campers, put your headlamps on and read this hub!

5. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

I chose Gift Ideas for a Bridal Shower, but I wasn't able to think of a way to add a ratings capsule to it.  Hopefully I can edit it if anyone has any ideas.

http://millionairetips.hubpages.com/hub … ower-Gifts

Shasta

1. GoodLady profile image92
      GoodLadyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Shasta hi,  I think you need to chose to write a recipe hub.  This has the ratings capsule in it, though obviously you wont need the other recipe capsule options.  All the best.  Penelope

2. Simone Smith profile image87

You do not need to choose to write a recipe Hub, and recipe ratings do not count in this contest.

You can add Ratings Capsules by clicking on their icon under the Special Layout Options section of the HubTool.

1. GoodLady profile image92
        GoodLadyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good to know!  Thanks -

3. tillsontitan profile image83

Some really great ideas nicely listed.

6. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 11 years ago

Hi Everybody!

I reviewed a great theater where I review many films each month. I hope you enjoy it!

Meals, Football Games, Opera and More at the Best Movie Theaters In Columbus, Ohio

-- Patty

Very cool!!! I was hoping people would review local haunts like this!!

7. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 11 years ago

Here is my take on this week's topic inspiration.  I hope you enjoy it.

http://glimmertwinfan.hubpages.com/hub/ … eview?done

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95
      Glimmer Twin Fanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I put the correct link.  I'll try it again.

http://glimmertwinfan.hubpages.com/hub/ … ame-Review

Thanks!

A contest entry AND an Exclusive. Huzzah! I love the formatting you used with this- it makes information to easy to find! Gotta love dem Table Capsules. This is fabulous.

tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

Time to enter this contest and give it a try!
      http://tillsontitan.hubpages.com/hub/Di … t-SX260-HS

1. tillsontitan profile image83

I thought it might be a good idea to stick a picture in here since the title doesn't really tell what I wrote.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7326252_f248.jpg

3. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Dang it all, Simone...I just wrote a product review hub and forgot that this was the WTI so I did not hit that 'green button' to answer the question, LOL     sad    I'm kicking myself right now.

4. ktrapp profile image94
      ktrappposted 11 years ago

Here's my WTI Hub and 1st contest entry.

Must-Have Carpet Deep Cleaner

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7327268_f248.jpg

Great photo!

1. ktrapp profile image94
          ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks watergeek smile

2. pet-water-bowl profile image60
        pet-water-bowlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Nicely done!  You haven't left anything out.

3. daisydayz profile image86
        daisydayzposted 11 years ago

Well here's our first one - Its for the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 lens, my hubby's new baby!
        http://daisydayz.hubpages.com/hub/A-Gre … F-S-f28-ED

Certainly a great hub about that Nikon lens.

4. J.S.Matthew profile image80
        J.S.Matthewposted 11 years ago

Hello all! My computer is down (hard drive failure) so I am posting from a different computer all together. Here is something different: A review of a very popular Wedding Venue in Massachusetts. I used my photos and personal experience to create this Hub and I am hoping for the glory lol. Here it is: http://jsmatthew.hubpages.com/hub/Chamb … Wedding-MA Hope you all enjoy the photos and stuff. Good luck to all!

JSMatthew~

1. profile image52
          jessylove1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Great hub about a great place JS....pictures are lovely.

2. Gary Holdaway profile image86
          Gary Holdawayposted 11 years ago

Oh wow! It has been so hard to get any time for a hub this week! This one, and another one has been in progress for a few nights now. Hope it helps 'convert' some of you!

http://garyholdaway.hubpages.com/hub/Wh … e-Products

3. daisydayz profile image86
          daisydayzposted 11 years ago

Entry number 2 a film review! Surrogates
          http://daisydayz.hubpages.com/hub/Surro … uce-Willis

4. GoodLady profile image92
          GoodLadyposted 11 years ago

I have a review title  - but forgot to run it through the green button/write a hub about it.  If I wrote the hub and submitted it here (Discussion review) would it still be eligible for the contest?

Thanks.
          Penelope

I did the same thing Good Lady but I think we're out of luck.

1. daisydayz profile image86
              daisydayzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ladies I'm pretty sure they are still ok in the contest, it just isnt submitted under the weekly topic. The weekly topic is just contest friendly not the actual contest. Hope that makes sense!

It does and I hope you're right!  Thanks for the encouragement.

5. tillsontitan profile image83

My legitimate entry (pressed the green button on this one)
          http://tillsontitan.hubpages.com/hub/Re … Uggs-Boots
          http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7333385_f248.jpg

1. Denise Handlon profile image86
            Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Gee, I did the same thing previously with a different hub product review!  This time I remembered! LOL

6. Denise Handlon profile image86
          Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

My 'product' review for the WTI   I remembered this time!    smile   

About a great mixing bowl for any cook out here:
          http://denisehandlon.hubpages.com/hub/T … -Chef?done

7. Danette Watt profile image83
          Danette Wattposted 11 years ago

http://danettewatt.hubpages.com/hub/Red … and-of-Tea

My product review for Red Rose tea, truly the only tea I'll drink (ask fellow hubbers Denise Handlon and Cara Ardelean, they'll vouch for me smile )

1. cardelean profile image87
            cardeleanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

8. Simone Smith profile image87
          Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hey everyone! Our new contest-friendly Weekly Topic Inspiration theme is restaurant reviews. I hope you will see this as an excuse to eat out this week!

9. kathleenkat profile image83
          kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Just finished my Hub about automatic pet feeders last night...
          http://kathleenkat.hubpages.com/hub/Automatic_Feeder

I was on vacation last week, using my automatic feeder to feed my kitties smile  Didn't get a chance to finish it while on vacation.

10. tillsontitan profile image83

Interestingly enough my product review hub about UGG boots was pulled as being to promotional and something about the title. I am really confused about how it can be too promotional when I was using quotes about the boots. I'm not sure about the tags either as I would naturally use "UGG" and "uggs" in my tags.  I'm really scratching my head!  I made some corrections and submitted it for review.  It will be interesting to see what happens as I already had readers.

11. watergeek profile image94
          watergeekposted 11 years ago

Here's a product (not restaurant) review for the contest: Product Review: MS Publisher Software

12. savingkathy profile image92
          savingkathyposted 11 years ago

A little late, but here's a couple of product reviews I posted yesterday:

A review of a kitchen appliance I didn't know I needed:
          http://savingkathy.hubpages.com/hub/Hea … er-Blender

A review of the cookbook that shows you how to sneak healthy foods into your cooking:
          http://savingkathy.hubpages.com/hub/Fam … neaky-Chef

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)