I am a victim of thievery, my articles are being copied a lot. Help!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (32 posts)
  1. john000 profile image93
    john000posted 11 years ago

I love HubPages. It is the very first format that has allowed me to earn any money from my writing. Other sites used my writing to make money, but the reward was less than satisfying, as most of you may understand.
    Here is the problem. A lot of my articles are being copied. These articles are being copied word for word, and sometimes the exact title of the article! I have written to the authors plagiarizing and have gotten response from, for instance, Articles.com, but other sites are not responsive and the individuals are not responsive. I have sent emails to the guilty when I could find an email address. I have left comments where my articles have reappeared under different titles. I have notified Google. But in many instances Google cannot do a thing because the author is either not in the Adsense program or somehow is not Google associated, even if it is a BlogSpot blog?
    There have been many answers to the problem of how to deal with plagiarism, but now that it is November 2, 2012, or there abouts, has anyone discovered a more efficient way of dealing with the problem?
    I will be so bold as to give you an example, just one article! My Hub is located at <snipped>. The following have all been stolen.
    This is what I know -
    <snipped>
    By:
    shanil

Health>
    Cancerl
    Jan 28, 2011

Bladder Cancer in Men and BCG Infection / Treatment

BCG Bladder Cancer Treatment
    The purpose of this article is not to criticize the medical community. The purpose is to perhaps save others the frustration I have experienced in trying to help my father who suffered from superficial bladder cancer, and subsequently BCG infection. There will be three parts to this discussion: the basics of BCG treatment, symptoms of BCG infection, and my father’s symptoms.
    You have to go down the page slightly more than 1/2.

<snipped>
    second article on the page

<snipped>
    first article on the page

<snipped>
    No Responses to “Night Sweats Men: Bladder Cancer in Men and BCG Infection / Treatment”

<snipped>
    first article

<snipped>
    Tried to find the article but suspect subterfuge. You can see it indexed at Google site above.

I have more articles that are all over the Internet at different article sites. Any creative ideas out there?
    Mind me, I am not blaming HubPages for anything at all - they have been wonderful to me. Repeat: they have been wonderful to me! I just want to know if there is some kind of magic bullet out there that a Hubber may have discovered that doesn't take forever to report and get a response to??

All of you really need to look at what's out there. You are probably being victimized. A couple of the sites above have 250+ views that could have been mine.

1. brakel2 profile image74
      brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have a hub where I composed a take-down notice. You can send it to the webmaster. I have had success with it. You might look at it and see what you think. I am sorry you are having this problem. How can you tell the number of views of these sites? What do you enter at Quantcast or wherever? Good luck. I have a similar issue right now.

john000posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I am headed for the hub right now - that would save me time when I have a contact to the webmaster. Thank you.

2. Xenonlit profile image60
        Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wait a minute. I thought that Hub Pages had a handy dandy duplicate checking system that catches these things. Why are you having to find plagiarism on your own?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

HubPages has explained the copied content finder is very expensive to run, so they do it only for a select number of high traffic Hubs.  It's our own responsibility to police theft of our own Hubs.

I can understand that. I don't expect HubPages to police for me other than on HubPages. But it just seems that with all of the information crawlers gather there should be a faster way to eliminate plagiarized material? These folks know where we live, social security numbers, phone numbers, URLs, birthdays, addresses, photos of our neighborhoods. Come on. But thanks for informing me that HubPages as made that pronouncement - as I said in the original note, HubPages is great and owe them, not the other way around.

2. bridalletter profile image78
      bridalletterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages could make the website secure with programs that protect the print on this website. It makes it impossible to copy it or screen capture it. The problem is if they put that in place, they may pass that expense onto us via monthly fees. It may also prevent us from sharing the articles in social media networks.

You can file a claim with the copyright office. It is a shame Google doesn't do anything. They certainly do on Youtube. I had someone steal one of my videos. I reported it and it was resolved quickly.

If the people are in another country, there is even less that can be done; other than what you have already done.

1. Sapper profile image63
        Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What you are talking about as far as making it "impossible" to copy is far from impossible. It's nothing more than a java script, disabling java gets rid of that ability.

Google does what they can, but unlike with YouTube, Google doesn't own or host the internet. Pretty much all they can do is lower the rankings so it's harder to find.

2. john000 profile image93

I have had success with https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools … ;&rd=1.  I have a routine now of using this form and since my last post on Nov. 5,  I have had about a dozen things removed from the Internet.
        I believe this is the best way to handle things overall.  Thanks for all of the input. Though I guess we all would like faster/easier/automatic ways to deal with these problems, we need to be vigilant.
        Google has responded and done what I asked, so probably more than anything, the frustration I had experienced was from ignorance.
        Thanks again for all the input.

2. RichieMogwai profile image62
    RichieMogwaiposted 11 years ago

It seems to  me that a lot of people are experiencing their work being copied by other people from other sites. It sounds like poaching to me.  I am now in the process of checking my works.  I'm glad you people brought this up.

If you put the first two sentences of an intro to your article in Google search you will see right away if anyone has copied your material verbatim. Good luck.

Also, just to give an example without any article names, this is the response I got from Articles.com for an article hijacked
      Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.We removed the article from our directory.

Best regards,

Adrianna Miller

ArticlesBase Support
      Nice enough - but does anything happen to keep the individuals from continuing this type of behavior?

1. Sapper profile image63
        Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In all reality, there isn't much they, or any other site, can do to stop this from happening. That burden falls on us as writers to make sure our writing isn't being copied.

The best option to combat it would be to write on a blog instead with WordPress installed. WP has a feature that will add a link back to your site at the top and bottom of any copied content, along with sending you a trackback. From their you can either report it, or leave it and take your free advertising.

Also, Google does do something about it, and they do it without you having to report it, or even knowing about it for that matter. In an effort to kill article spinning for backlinks, any duplicate content is penalized.  So anyone who copies any of your work will have their rankings suffer automatically. If this wasn't the case, auto-blogging would still be profitable.

Even though I have a WordPress blog, I wasn't aware. Thank you. And, thanks for cluing me on the penalty aspect.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

If they have Adsense ads, report them to Adsense. There is a link on the site to file DMCA notices.

Please delete those links. One I clicked on would not let me leave the page without clicking something. I had to stop the process to get out.

Thanks for the heads up on the links. Your time in responding is appreciated. Thank  you.

4. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

The links are to bad sites, as I also discovered. One had a warning. One was a prize, and I barely got off site.   John. Don't give up.

OK. Thanks for writing. Good luck.

5. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 11 years ago

Wow! This is outrageous...

It really is. Seems there should be a fast way to deal with it. Today I got a form from Google which I did not run across before and it is EASIER to use. Earlier, I had URLs snipped - maybe I did something wrong as far as trying to show those URLs. But in the email today from Google I got this.

http://www.google.com/support/bin/reque … t=blogger.
      Using this form will ensure the quickest possible processing time for your
      complaint.

Maybe this URL is ok to print?I have filled it out for one article only. I have a lot more work to do. I guess you have to work to protect your stuff - not unlike buying a lock for your  bike, which you really "shouldn't" have to do.
      I am thankful for the communication from Google. Good luck

Update Note: I just found out that if an address is not associated with a Google product, but  you wish to make a legal claim to have it removed from search for infringement, you use this address:
        https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools … ;&rd=1

Also, here is a link to a documentation notice of an infringement: http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/ … ticeID=861 .

6. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 11 years ago

I have just checked one of my hubs and it was copied word for word, and as a consequence my views and traffic has fallen dramatically. I'm not sure how best to deal with the situation or even if it will ever be stopped. I guess the only comfort that you can take from it is that A) our work was good enough to be copied and B) we are not alone in our plight. 

I would like to say that I hope we do not get targetted again in the future, but in all honesty, unfortunately, we probably will.

7. john000 profile image93
    john000posted 11 years ago

You are right to recognize your work was good enough to be plagiarized! LOL. Lots of people are fighting this stuff on the Internet. I hope, too, that some system will be able to react quickly in such a way as to stop this, but I have no idea either.
    Google has a lot of requests for investigating plagiarism. I think the form in the last reply will help you.
    As you have implied, there is a silver lining in all problems (good attitude, by the way) and we probably have nothing but a better response to look forward to. Thanks.

8. Mark Johann profile image60
    Mark Johannposted 11 years ago

I also read in some successful people in the internet that suing those fake people are a waste of time. What I learn is that continue your good work and in the end, you will be on the top. Look for some ways you can counter those fake people. I suggest changing your name or categorizing your hubs into pieces, etc.

I really like what you h ave to say. Initially, one can get pretty upset about the number of individuals taking material without permission. But after awhile, you realize that is just part of the world. No sense wasting good time fighting too much. Your attitude is much appreciated. Your suggestions are worth consideration. Thank you for commenting, and good luck. John

9. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

Go to the learing center of HP. They tell you what to do and who to report plagerism to.

1. Drive By Quipper profile image58
      Drive By Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There you go.

Thanks, and the best to you. John

Thank you very much. Things have been resolving smoothly using the last form I wrote about.  The Learning Center is in my favorites now. smile

10. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

It's not thorough, and you still must do things on your own. It is still a good starting place. Many hubs give more info.

Thorough or not, it is a leaf to grab onto, and that is what I needed. Thank  you for taking the time to make a suggestion. It really was helpful. Perhaps, as a person has suggested, I should have gone to the learning center, but after you have run around the Internet (thinking you know how to get information!) you sometimes throw up your hands and write to the forum. smile
      I really do thank everyone here for the suggestions and input. This is really a great tool to use. I'll try to talk it up either in a Hub or in my comments when someone seems in despair.
      Peace and success to all.

1. RichieMogwai profile image62
        RichieMogwaiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome john000.  I also learned a lot from your post and the respondents.  At least, I know what preliminary steps to take when one of my articles gets plagiarized.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)