NING | GLAM SOCIAL?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Bendo13 profile image77
    Bendo13posted 11 years ago

HubPages is a Ning site?  Look at the bottom right in the footer...
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7308703_f248.jpg
    It looks like someone deleted some of the code that hid the fact that this has been a Ning site all along.

I thought HubPages was its own platform, built from the bottom up by its creators, not running someone else's cookie-cutter code.

Interesting revelation.

I can't imagine that Google dislikes all Ning sites, so this information may not mean anything.

2. Steve West profile image68
    Steve Westposted 11 years ago

What does that mean in a nut-shell?

Bendo13posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just that they are running this site through the platform that Ning set up, which allows you to create your own social networks.  Kind of like running your blog through WordPress... You don't have to build a site from scratch, but you use the same basic structure and coding that everyone else does through WordPress.  You can customize a lot to make your site look different, but the skeleton is the same.

1. Steve West profile image68
        Steve Westposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Got it. I was just on the Ning website. Thank you Bendo13 that is interesting.

2. agvulpes profile image85
        agvulpesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very weird indeed.  Hubpages does not 'feel' like a Ning site and the image is showing up as a Hubpage image? hmm

3. Steve West profile image68
    Steve Westposted 11 years ago

Maybe they sold-out to Ning?

4. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

I saw this forum post by jacharless. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/105390 No response to the forum yet.

I didn't see that post, but search "edit or remove "Ning / Glam social" that is in your footer" in Google and you'll see that it's included in the footer of all Ning sites, and they show you how to hide that it's a Ning site.

So, I doubt that they're running through Ning/Glam Social just for advertising... I think Ning is the skeleton that the meat of HubPages clings to.

1. Steve West profile image68
        Steve Westposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So Bendo, let me ask you. HubPages could be run out of a garage by someone/anyone?

It could be, sure... but I'm pretty sure that HubPages has an official office where the main employees meet.  But you could definitely run a site like this without a formal office.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

It is like combining Ning's technology and Glams advertising prowess here in HP. Social aggregation for social sharing perhaps.

Not much has changed in terms of looks for HubPages other than a fancy looking forum and stuff, for a while.  So, I think they've been running on Ning's platform for a while... maybe ever since the new profiles and new hub layouts, maybe since the beginning.

Glam Social bought Ning back in September of last year and I'm pretty sure the advertising on here, including HP Ads, was already in place before then.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
        prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Foodie.com - a social food network is using Ning, that is why maybe there are layout changes everywhere here at HP, i.e,  in recipe hubs (HP have been focusing on recipe hubs for awhile) etc. I read somewhere that this is successful combining Glam Social with Ning within a site - layout and social sharing plus interaction among hubbers - to maximize profit.

HP must be writing a blog to explain this. :-)

2. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is my guess. Aggregate or Acquisition. If the former, new Ads are expected and social parameters for inbound traffic. Recipes, Family, Fashion are the focal verticals for Glam. Adding HP Topical responsive UGC puts glam over the top. If the numbers are correct HP is parallel to Ning's UV per month. In fact rank wise, HP & Ning are one point difference. That says something about HP, as a stand alone UGC site in comparison to hundreds of micro social networks on Ning.  An acquisition puts Glam @ 100M UV per month which is about 1/5th Facebook's monthly volume. Ads served would exceed 1B per month. It is a smart move on both sides -either way.

Disclaimer: this is just hypothetical, of course.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
        prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

this is a valid hypothesis Sir Geeky James! :-)

1. jacharless profile image75

Lol.
          You are so right, I am such a geek.
          But a really good looking geek. big_smile

James

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

If you read the updated About Us page in light of being a Ning site, it sounds like this has been a recent change.  I notice a lot of emphasis on social integration, which could be an excellent way to bring in more visitors.  From the link on the other thread about this, it says, 

And for the largest customers, Ning is also announcing a new paid product called Ning VIP, which is supposed to provide more scalability, customization, and support...

Top organizers, marketers, influencers, and activists use Ning to create a social destination where content intersects with conversations to inspire action  http://www.crunchbase.com/company/ning

4. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 11 years ago

btw, HP is NOT on the Ning platform, nor server. They have their own servers in Emeryville. smile

I didn't say they were running through their servers, I said it is quite possible that they used Ning to create this social network for writers.  Why do I say that?  Because if you search the wonderful land of Google, people who have Ning sites go through the effort of telling other Ning "creators" how to remove the same exact NING | GLAM SOCIAL image from the footer. 

I don't know if this has always been a Ning site, or if it just recently happened, but I don't think they'd pop that in their footer, in the same place it is on other Ning sites, just for fun.

HP has never been a Ning site. HP started with a $2M round of private venture capital from Winbald and was one of the original test models for Google AdSense. Prior to, HP had been working on a Learning Solution for Adverts called Yield Build, which is the core technology behind HP to date -and where the Hub Ad program comes in. The Tech world believed/s HP will/would become the leader in digital publishing and ultimately become a publicly traded company, else acquired by one of the content giants, of which Goo has no affiliation. The folks behind HP were the starters behind a successful music mogul site, acquired by Microsoft. In fact, most of the original team was from that company.

Now, if HP has merged with Glam, who acquired Ning some time ago, to further Ad measures site wide, then the image would appear, as a gratis or possibly a requirement for serving premium ads. Ning social taxonomy would be included in that integration because that is one of the reasons Glam Media bought Ning. Blended with the Yield Build solution,  premium, targeted ads from Glam would have a much higher valuation, and could act as an alternative to disqualified AdSense Hubbers and or increased valuation for Hub Ads.

The layout changes have been ongoing for some time, as HP is going more minimalistic, as well as compliance with Goo Page Layout, rich Snippet, Page Map parameters for clearer indexing.

Tech-wise, HP is doing a bang-up job of juggling multiple relationships, site measures, user//hubber tools, interaction and the ever changing goal posts of search engines --followed by public recognition, revenue potential and still able to flex itself as a fun atmosphere for writers & readers of all degrees.

James.

I know their history (MongoMusic, Yield Build), but they are music search/advertisers first... not social networking site creators.  This site is really a social network for writers, but we have the ability to earn money through our writing.  We have profiles, forums, our own articles (informational blogs), and the community is what keeps a lot of people here.  There's nothing wrong with a company, whose focus isn't on creating a social network, having someone who specializes in social networks build the skeleton of the site for them.  Which may or may not be the case here, and it may have been like that from the beginning or it might be a new thing.

But if you look at the recent history of this site, it is not the leader in digital publishing; we were knocked off that throne in February of last year, and never bounced back.  I know they're trying to fix the site, but I highly doubt premium ads will fix anything, since traffic is the real issue. 

You could be right, but when was the last time an advertiser made it a requirement for you to put their name in the footer, on every page, of your site, just so you can use their ads?  That's site-wide branding and for what... use of their ad network?  That's rediculous.  HubPages built their own name and they're going to have their name in smaller text in their OWN footer, than the Ning | Glam Social image, so that they can get better ads?

No, branding like that happens whenever you use the framework constructed by someone else... they set up the whole site, so they get their logo on every page.  Just like how, unless you edit it, most WordPress themes mention WordPress, because you're using their structure.

How many sites do you see with "Ads by Google" in the footer of every single page of their site, just because they get special ads from them?  You don't, and the only mention of who the ads are from is right beside the ad itself.

I don't know what's up, but you don't either, and maybe we'll see an announcement soon.  Maybe it was just a coding mistake and the image will disappear soon.  Maybe you're right, maybe I am, maybe we're both wrong or maybe it's Maybelline.

5. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years ago

Obviously all this techie information is way over my head, but let's not forget HP has its longest site outage just a month ago, on September 28th when the site went down for several hours.

Could this have been the date servers were changed, if indeed they were?

Then again, why is it only now we are seeing the Ning | Glam Social image appear?

Curiouser and curiouser.

1. Lwelch profile image81
        Lwelchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe they were bought out.

2. Lwelch profile image81
        Lwelchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe they were bought out

6. Dale Hyde profile image81
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years ago

It is amazing how many posts HP staff simply does not respond to.  It is like they simply don't care about the backbone of the site, the authors.

I sometimes think that they like to sit back, relax and just watch what we say and see if WE can figure things out, come up with solutions and so on.  It's like unpaid research when we all get together and brainstorm for hours, talking to each other, and they just wait for the right time to respond, if ever.

Well I mean, that would be the smart thing to do if you really wanted a site that was FOR THE USERS, but you should pop in every once and a while.  That way you could give everyone what they really wanted.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think we can complain because they have made it clear which forums are monitored by staff and which are not.  This is posted in a forum which is not monitored by staff, so why would we expect them to see it?

Ah, I was unaware that they didn't keep tabs on their entire site.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image75
            Anti-Valentineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Send them an email if you haven't all ready. You'll get a response then.

2. Dale Hyde profile image81
          Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Common sense and the responsiblity by the owners of the site to be sure that nothing illegal has been posted in any thread deems that HP staff reviews all posts.  That is common practice in all forums, including my own forums as well as my own sites. 

As for the few forums that HP staff claims to monitor, I have seen some of these go upwards of a week or more without any staff input.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All forums should be moderated.  If they are not, that at least explains the high level of rampant trolling.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As far as I can see, these days the staff don't actively monitor the forum - they rely on Hubbers to report trolls and spam.

Otherwise, why would it be necessary to create special threads which are specifically marked as "staff monitored"?

7. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

Given the title of this thread, I would be astounded if at least one of the staff hadn't read it.

8. Dame Scribe profile image57
      Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Oh, should I report this forum? tongue wink lol just so we can get some input? wink

1. Dale Hyde profile image81
        Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol, what a concept. smile

9. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 11 years ago

Do you think Ning Glam works on our ads and layout? I read that the VIP treatment is a certain payment per month.

VIP was//is for Ning networks, as far as I know.

But, my guess appears correct. HP has, in fact, integrated Glam Advert measures into the system. Hence the gratuitous logo on-site. Might be just a live case study for the moment, which explains the silence from staffers. I would really, really like this to be advantageous for non-AdSense Hubbers.

James.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)