Obama Won

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (37 posts)
  1. b4murray profile image82
    b4murrayposted 11 years ago

Obama won so now what...
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5189772_f248.jpg
    Would JFK be considered a Republican today?

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people — their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties — someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal." ~ JFK

Exactly the same as the current liberals.

The country as a whole has moved left since Kennedy's day no doubt (partially thanks to him) but the principles remain the same. Kennedy tried to pass universal healthcare too.

1. innersmiff profile image64
        innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wait what? "civil liberties"?
        "someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad"

lol

How in any way does this describe modern liberals?

1. Josak profile image60

Civil rights such as reproductive choice and gay marriage.

Reaching out in massive improvements made in America's image around the world and cordial relationships with Turkey and Russia leading to a significantly better situation with both those nations.

Oh, oh . . . so modern liberals protect particular liberties and are diplomatic towards some countries - not civil liberties and diplomacy in general. Why didn't you just say that?

1. KK Trainor profile image60
              KK Trainorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Josak profile image60

Those were just examples the social issues are the prime civil liberties issues in America.

Our relationships with other nations and how they perceive us have improved in every single country outside the Middle East and most of those too if you want it in broader terms.

What about civil liberty issues that affect everyone like the police state? Where was the left when Obama basically continued Bush's draconian policies?

1. Josak profile image60

I don't remember anyone being particularly pleased about that, it's one of the reasons why I voted third party but if there has never been a perfect president and unfortunately American politics are a comparison game.

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would agree that liberal politicians look ahead - all the way to their next election.  And that they care about the welfare of the people - at least their buddies that work for their re-election.  They even care about the welfare, to some degree at least, of the man in the street - at least as long as that man will cast a vote for them.

Of course, I would say the same thing about conservative politicians....

2. tammybarnette profile image61
      tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interestingly, I read an article earlier today that suggested Obama was comparative to Ronald Reagan, specifically the way Reagan changed the Republican party...It was Bloomberg I think, I will have to find the link...but I have been saying he reminded me of Reagan, I think Obama is a Republican in sheeps clothing, but he is socially Liberal, and that is the future of our contry in order to grow and change...He will go down in History much the way Reagan has...they both are very center, moderate, and that I believe is the best colllaboration of dueling ideologies, just my opinion smile

Are you serious or is that sarcasm? Because if you are serious about any of what you just said you are completely deluded. I'm just asking because I can't believe you actually think any of that is true. Neither one of them is (was) any type of moderate. Nothing about Obama is in any way Republican. Reagan was a great man who knew how to work with everyone and actually persuade rather than ignore and work around Congress. I can't believe you really are comparing them, so it must be sarcasm...

1. tammybarnette profile image61
          tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The part where you say "Reagan was a great man who knew how to work with Anyone," that personality type is called a liberal, it simply means those things listed in the beautiful example above ...Obama handles Foriegn Policy very much in a Republican vision, he handles communities like a liberal, and he handles financing as  perfectly middle of the road and willing to compromise but does not back down and give in to being bullied, so yes, he is soooo middle, and a damn good POTUS

Ok, I have my answer. I still can't believe it though...

2. b4murray profile image82
    b4murrayposted 11 years ago

Obama is alot of things, but I agree he is no Ronald Reagan...

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7349380_f248.jpg

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is that a good thing... or a not good thing?

I'm sure he wishes he could compare... Reagan just gets better with time, but Obama won't.

1. Josak profile image60

IF you really think that in 50 years Reagan will be remembered as better than Obama you have a serious think coming tongue

1. Mighty Mom profile image78

Obama is already being discussed as one of the great transforming presidents.

As for Reagan, rose colored (that's red diluted with pixie dust and time) glasses have created a nostalgic aura around his memory.
            Nothing wrong with that. If you're into mythology.

What has he transformed exactly? Please, specifics.

1. Josak profile image60

Passed universal healthcare, was the first black president, was the first president to support gay marriage, got rid of don't ask don't tell, ended the war in Iraq etc. etc.

Reagan was pretty popular and successfully turned around a moderate recession, that's great but it won't mark the history books in the same way.

2. Mighty Mom profile image78

First and foremost, health care. (see link)
                Equal rights for LGBT citizens and military and women.
                More to come in term II with historic immigration reform.
                And hopefully, the tax code as well.
                smile
                http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/28/politics/ … index.html

1. Josak profile image60

+1
                  Right I forgot the dream act, my bad, very important for a very important and growing demographic.

The Dream Act has not been passed. An executive order is not an act.

2. KK Trainor profile image60

Well I guess if social issues are what matter to you, you'll remember him fondly. I care about the bigger picture, and Reagan worked with other world leaders to change the world map and free millions from tyrrany and despair. That's transformation.

1. Josak profile image60

If that is your flavor the Arab spring is being celebrated across the world as a  victory of democracy over dictatorship and that will be remembered too.

2. Josak profile image60

Don't forget we are comparing a president who has one term against a president who had twice the time.

3. Cody Hodge5 profile image67
                    Cody Hodge5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Eh, it could be argued that the Berlin Wall was going to fall on its own....

3. tammybarnette profile image61
    tammybarnetteposted 11 years ago

For Democrats, the picture is brighter.

Obama’s first-term achievements, including the health-care law and Wall Street reform, are now secure. A second term marked by an improving economy and capped with historic tax and entitlement reform seems well within reach.

That would put Obama among a select group of Democratic presidents. When the scope of his Nov. 6 victory became clear, some giddy liberals likened Obama to Ronald Reagan, the Republican whose legacy defined much of the last quarter century of American politics.

Such comparisons may be premature. But looking four years out, they are not unthinkable.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-0 … -deal.html

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)