All Liberals over the age of 45 - Take heed

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (59 posts)
  1. BloodRedPen profile image67
    BloodRedPenposted 11 years ago

Warning a recent study found that almost 100% of people over the age of 45 that identified themselves as LIBERAL can to some degree be effected by this http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 112023.htm

Just letting you know - Your friend BloodRedPen

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And you think this is about liberals? Nice try. I am a liberal and I have accepted the fact that the world has changed and I have no desire to go back to the 1950s. Who is suffering from Peter Pan syndrome here?

1. moneyfairy profile image60
        moneyfairyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed!!!

1. BloodRedPen profile image67
          BloodRedPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This was all posted TONGUE and CHEEK - Sorry if I offended smile

1. Barefootfae profile image61
            Barefootfaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No you just proved that they have no sense of humor and can't take what they dish out. Proven!

And if it had been stated that All conservatives over the age of 45 are ... whatever. You would not comment on it?

Oh sure but usually if you  are a Conservative here your comments fall on deaf ears and you are told to stop whining.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Uninvited Writer:  I read this inane nonsense.    My reaction:  ********* please!   Peter Pan Syndrome, my ******!    In my opinion, it is the conservatives who do not want to grow up and mature.    They still believe that LGBT people should be closeted, everyone should be religious, women should be only wives and mothers, etc.   Need I say more?     The definition of an immature person is a person who wants everyone to be like him/her and becomes quite upset and often vitriolic when they are not!   Liberals are definitely not that at all- we want inclusion for everyone, not just the selected few!   It is the CONSERVATIVES who do not like others disagreeing with THEM!

Also, Liberals are more likely to be happier,zestier, and are ageless  because we believe in seeing all aspects of life and society.   CONSERVATIVES just rust away with age...............things tend to become atrophied with disuse and continuing to do the same thing the way it ALWAYS has been done-hmmmmmm!

You have an amazing stereotype going on there.
          It has no basis in reality you know.

Sort of like the OP

3. Barefootfae profile image61

I keep hearing about the 1950's and cannot possibly imagine a more harmless American environment and am wondering what the Liberal issue is with that era?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Segregation?

Is that all? Completely subvert a way of life to take care of one issue?
            Don't see that that was necessary but anyway....

2. Josak profile image60
          Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Homophobia, segregation, religious intolerance, racial inequality and persecution of leftists and suspected leftists in "witch trials", no it was a great time tongue

1. gmwilliams profile image85

Josak, YOU and I KNOW THIS!   THAT WAS THE REAL 1950s,  the Conservatives are discussing the TV 1950s a la HAPPY DAYS.  Fa la la la la(sarcasm).

So it was a terrible place to live then huh?

1. getitrite profile image72
                getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ignorance is bliss.

I contend we could have dealt with a couple of issues but we had a moral society where you heard Yes Sir, No Sir, Yes Ma'am. No ma'am.
                  Now I realize you should impose such things because somehow that is racist or whatever the bassackwards reasoning will be here but I think in retrospect we should look in retrospect to what we really had.

1. getitrite profile image72
                    getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But saying Yes Sir and Yes Ma'am does not equate to morality.  That's just public etiquette.

Let's see:

McCarthyism
                    Segregation
                    Discrimination/Jim Crow
                    Forced School Prayer
                    Child Abuse
                    Abuse of the Poor
                    Spousal Abuse
                    Poverty
                    Lynchings

Oh yeah we were so HAPPY!!!

2. Josak profile image60

It was a comparatively bad time to live.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Not to mention fear of nuclear annihilation...

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Because it was not like that in real life...

Funny....i was alive then and I could swear it was real life......

4. profile image0
          Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sexism, homophobia, and racial segregation were major parts of this era.

There was also paranoia about communism, and the threat of a soviet  nuclear attack.

Read some history man.

On a brighter note, taxes were much higher on the rich!  It wasn't all bad wink.

2. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 11 years ago

c i always knew that to be liberal one requires experience of life , maturity and composure...this study proves it...tongue

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I agree, some things were better. I was brought up to say please and thank you and I never was allowed to sit on the bus if an adult was standing. However, life was certainly not good for everyone. If you towed the line and did what was expected of you it was fine, however deviations from the norm were not allowed.

Life is certainly not good for everyone now either.
      Am I not right?
      But then again we just gave the Great Compromiser four more years and it should all be straight after that if we remove all traces of 50's"ism" from our society. Right?

2. gmwilliams profile image85

ANNOUNCER:  Oh the 1950s, what a WONDERFUL time to live in.   Children were seen, not heard!  Women were to be oh so feminine and to be happy in the kitchen-Little Miss Happy Homemaker!  Yes, little girls were brought up to be docile and so acquiesently ladylike, the womanly ideal- to be rescued by a prince/king in shining armor and LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER!  Boys had to be little he-men, no sensitivities allowed- BEING FOREVER STOIC EVEN IF IT HURTS!    Gays-well, shhhh, no such thing at all- you know THEY'RE SO .......DIFFERENT, YA KNOW!  Blacks, Asians, and Latinos, yes what about.........THEM?     The 1950s...........what a BEAUTIFUL, WONDERFUL ERA, A TOTAL BLAST OF THE GOOD OLD DAYS!   

BLEEEEAAAAHHHH!

There can be little doubt that the Liberal mind is the most negative of all. Everyone is viewed in terms of stereotypes. Everyone.

I like how you argue against stereotypes by stereotyping liberals... Women were expected to conform to those stereotypes in the 50s, those who didn't were punished by society.

Yeeeeesssssss!
            Just like you are punished by society now for not being politically correct.
            Difference?
            Christmas is coming. Oh yes I used the C-word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Horrors! Just watch how many lawsuits are filed over trees and manger scenes and such and talk to me about societal punishment.

Oh, here we go again. The War on Christmas... roll

2. Josak profile image60

I have yet to meet anyone who cares if you say Christmas. I firmly believe there are very very few such people.

I agree. I say Merry Christmas and I don't even believe in God. Christmas is much more than a Christian holiday.

2. Josak profile image60

I also suspect you would offend and anger a lot more people walking around saying Happy Saturnalia (Christmases original Roman name before it was hijacked by Christianity) than you would saying happy Christmas let alone happy Eids.

4. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 11 years ago

I've never liked Peter Pan, now I know why, I never could associate myself with him!

5. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Why this sudden fascination with the 1950s?
    Why not choose, instead, the 1940s?
    Seems to me Americans were civil and cordial and respectful during that decade. But they also dropped (at least temporarily) their prejudices and stereotypes and all pulled together.

But realistically, we can't unring the bell of social progress any more than we can unring the bell of technological progress.

Much as some of us luddites might yearn for the days when phones had dials or push buttons and were stuck to walls. And term papers were typed on Selectrics....
    Sunday, Monday, Happy Days!!!
    smile

I'm not trying to be a Luddite but do  you have to change E V E R Y T H I N G?????????????????????
      I think not.

1. Mighty Mom profile image79
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm a Luddite of sorts.
        Change for change's sake is not necessarily a good thing.
        Would gladly halt the devolution of language and critical thinking

6. tammybarnette profile image60
    tammybarnetteposted 11 years ago

This is very interesting to me and this is why, I have heard oh so many conservatives tell me they were liberals until they grew up....Well, I thought about the way way I raised my children and the programming of television they were allowed to watch, they were taught manners, to listen, to share, to take turns, to not judge others, to "kil'em with kindness, to not waiste, to clean up after themselves, to pitch in, to give to others, to be kind, to never be a bully but always stand up to one, to work hard in school and at their jobs, to be responsible, to pray,etc. etc......If that is not a liberal, I don't know what is, and that makes me oh so very proud to be one smile

What you aren't getting Tammy, is us just terrible hateful child eating Conservatives are like that too.
      There is a lie out there and it is used against both ideologies. THAT is what I try and point out......fruitlessly.

1. tammybarnette profile image60
        tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do not think your a bad person Fae, I think your really cool actually, we just disagree politically, that's all, and I appreciate that you stand up for what you believe ...we are not all wrong or right, and we can only move forward together, I want to see healing and less division.

Tammy if you want to see healing it has to start with the people who consistently characterize only one not Liberal as evil. You know they do it they do it here and they do it in the national media. Daily. Probably twice since I have been typing this.

1. tammybarnette profile image60
            tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Fae, They do it the other way around too, but I can only control me...So that is where we start, with ourselves, right smile

True, I've heard people saying that every single person who voted for Obama is lazy, out of work, on welfare, a non-tax payer,a  loose woman (yes, they have said that but less politely), etc.

I guess I listen to different media than you do because I don't hear that. What are specific comments? Not comments commenting on specific people and their actions but about ALL conservatives.

You are right......you aren't hearing the one's doing that.

I don't believe all conservatives are bad. I've never said they are. I know both want what they think is best for their country.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

But, I really am sick of conservative vs liberal. Most people are just trying to live their lives and many are not interested in politics. Besides, most people are not exclusively liberal or exclusively conservative in their beliefs.

8. profile image57
    Southernmapartposted 11 years ago

What have "liberals" to do with the Peter Pan Syndrome?  Nothing!  The issue exists across liberal/conservative boundaries.  Also, the age of 45 years is not accurate, but should be 35 years when you look for an individual to have taken responsibility.  Sorry, but this hub is pointless.

1. profile image52
      txbk40posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Uninvited Writer-- That's what they are saying around here.  Very embarrassing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)