How would you feel about a homosexual President?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (64 posts)
  1. RichusFridum profile image60
    RichusFridumposted 11 years ago

The President of the United States and the... what?... "First Man"
    Your thoughts?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

i'm not american...but don't see a problem with a leader of a country being g/l...how about first woman too?  i don't see how a person's sexuality would make a difference on whether or not they could represent and lead a country .....there already have been folks in positions of power that are/have been g/l...but unfortunately are forced into the closet.   my 2 cents since you asked.

2. weconnect profile image60
      weconnectposted 11 years agoin reply to this

no problem! if i believe in their views.

3. A Thousand Words profile image67
      A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think the country would be ready for it for at least 50 + years. A gay man is just a man. Same for a lesbian. If a gay man or woman were to become president, his/her orientation should be irrelevant. The day when there are very few people asking questions of this nature is the day that we'll be ready to handle it. Maybe more than 50 years.

4. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is the 21st century, there is a Black president, hopefully there will be a woman president, and a  LGBT president.   IT'S ABOUT TIME, don't YOU think!    Hopefully, there will be a non-traditionally religious president!      America is for ALL people, groups, and beliefs, not just for the SELECTED AND APPROVED!

5. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.  I'm not being combative here, but I find it interesting that we would consider ourselves so open minded as to consider a gay president, but we still assume that it would be a gay male.  So, we're discussing the possibility of a gay president, but never a female one?

1. kathleenkat profile image83
        kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting... you mention "gay" president, but not "lesbian" president.

I believe the OP's statement of "First Man" was just an example of one of many changes we may face, if the time comes.

How about an unmarried president, for once?

1. Haunty profile image73
          Hauntyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

G/L president, yes. Unmarried president, no.

Funny thing, though, if it was to be a gay man, then his partner should have to be called the "second man," not the first.

1. ThompsonPen profile image66
            ThompsonPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why not an unmarried president? It would mean less distraction from the country surely, though at the same time, family is a good distraction to have, to leave work at work. I see both sides, but I can't say a lack of marriage wouldn't sway my vote either way. Sometimes it takes people longer to find "the one".

1. psycheskinner profile image84
              psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Quite, some of our best Presidents have been estranged from their wives so not in a "real" marraige.  Roosevelt comes to mind.

2. kathleenkat profile image83
              kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha but no speeches by Michelle Obama or Anne Romney would have occured if not for being married tongue

Perhaps we should only elect unmarried people, as it would save campaigns a lot of money; money which would go to better use on, uhh, just about anything. I know; give it to meeee. smile

1. Haunty profile image73
                Hauntyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Turns out there has been only one unmarried president (and three widowed.)

http://www.unmarried.org/unmarried-peop … presidents

You could be single and president in the 19th century. ha ha
                Also, I searched unsuccessfully for female presidents. They must only occur in the movies.

2. RichusFridum profile image60
            RichusFridumposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Second Man".... Hilarious!

2. ThompsonPen profile image66
          ThompsonPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the term gay is a broader blanket term for same-gender oriented. But a lesbian president would be a pretty awesome first as well as a gay president. Especially if our first woman president was a lesbian. That would be such an amazing win for woman kind smile

I dont get how this is a win for womankind ThompsonPen... its just a lesbian woman nothing special... and all women would not consider this an ideal situation

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lesbians are also gay. The term does not differentiate between men and women. Oops... sorry, I felt the need to comment on this too.

If a President was single all the country would be talking about was who he/she is dating now lol

1. Paraglider profile image89
            Paragliderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How about a really small president, maybe about 30 inches tall max, With a high squeaky voice. With a penchant for eating cherries and spitting the stones. Keen on restoring old clocks and plucking swans.

4. RichusFridum profile image60

now a single president would be VERY interesting...

2. fpherj48 profile image60
        fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hell, Motown....as long as we're reaching so far.....How about a male trans-sexual, who likes MEN?  Why stop at the simple things?   This is just what I love.......creative minds, that come up with even MORE for us to concern ourselves with.......I love mass-confusion and hysteria.  It's all soooo healthy for all of us....

1. profile image0

Exhausting isn't it?  Makes me shake my head every time.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ask and you shall receive....

"Arizona elects first openly bisexual member of US Congress"

http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/8F/1EA2D761D8713153DE3936AF0609E_h231_w308_m4_cVglKXPUb.jpg

http://now.msn.com/kyrsten-sinema-wins- … o-congress

It's a start...

6. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

We currently have a gay President.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/09/claim-obama- … president/
      http://www.towleroad.com/2012/09/gay-ob … s-gay.html

Must be true I read it on the interwebs!

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
        BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I always suspected he was gay because his wife can beat him up. How do you think he got those cauliflower ears.

2. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

No problem here, either -- or with a gay woman and her first lady.

3. justateacher profile image85
    justateacherposted 11 years ago

I don't see a problem with that...that might be a better choice than we had...

4. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Another first I would love to see in my lifetime.
    Inching closer with recent election of our first openly gay senator.
    I'm thinking possibly the next barrier to break will be Obama appointing a gay SCOTUS justice.
    Just a hunch.
    smile

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

The religionists would burn down the White House. Other than that, no problem.

1. Mighty Mom profile image79
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Surely so.
      But, I don't think that will be an issue for our gay prez.
      The religionists are busy seceding from the country at present.
      Likely they will declare Texas their country's capital.
      So the White House will no longer be their domain.
      lol

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

Everything, everywhere is such a mess these days...

2. SmartAndFun profile image95
        SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes, Texas is where I live and it's perfect for the secessionists. I thought people were going to start leaping off of bridges on election night when it became clear that Obama was the winner.

1. Mighty Mom profile image79
          Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry to hear that.
          roll
          But excited about the Castro brothers from your state!
          Julian and Joaquin.
          Hoo-ha!

2. A Thousand Words profile image67

Indeed. It's unfortunate how right you could be. I knew that racism was still existent in this country, but I didn't realize how bad it still was until it was announced that Obama had been reelected. I feared for his life in 2008, but now I do more than ever. Sometimes the people in the country frighten me. Martin Luther King, Jr was a man simply saying "hey, black people are people, too. We have rights. Treat us as equals. Etc, etc." But he was killed for simply standing up for the rights of people. I don't see the struggle for gay people to be too too different. Of course there are differences. BUt the problem is the similarities.

6. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't care. I honestly don't see why it would matter. Of course, I don't see why being a Muslim would matter, either, but people seem to care about that, too.

As if being gay defines your leadership skills. Maybe we need to stop seeing differences and start accepting?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

G/L - no problem.  Muslim I'm not so sure about; my concept of that religion does not include much tolerance or acceptance of differences.  Something absolutely necessary in a society as diverse as ours is. 

Outside of the radical idiots, though, I'm also not sure at all that that is a reasonable assessment.  In truth the average American muslim may be far more accepting and tolerant than the far right Christian is.

Wilderness made a perfectly solid point

7. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

I only have enough time and energy to be concerned with what our Prez does from the OVAL OFFICE.....not the bedroom..

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

Actually, I bet that Oval Office desk got a real workout during the Clinton years...

8. GStamp profile image60
    GStampposted 11 years ago

As long as he can get the economy on track, keep the country safe and protect our civil liberties, why should we care about his sexual preferences... because at the end of the day... these wives/first ladies could be nothing more than a front for the public and we could have already had homosexual President

9. profile image0
    Renee Collinsposted 11 years ago

It wouldn't matter to me as long as they were qualified and had the countries best interest at heart. I don't see how their sexual orientation would effect that.

10. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I would not care. Gay, trans, single, whatever.  That is not relevant to doing a good job.

And we already have leaders of countries with male partners, for example Australia.  So it seems they work out what to call them.

11. ThompsonPen profile image66
    ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

An official person's sexual life of preferences isn't any one's business, but their own. As long as they have a level head and can do good things for the country, that is what matters. The Clinton thing so many years ago was also none of our business, but we decided it was. Clinton was a good president, though perhaps not a top-notch husband. But what does running a country have to do with being a part of a marriage?
    What people do behind closed doors with the people they love is none of our business and unless it is harming someone, then we need to let them be.

12. Garrett Mickley profile image78
    Garrett Mickleyposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't feel anything about it because it doesn't matter.

13. dailytop10 profile image86
    dailytop10posted 11 years ago

We had a female president last time. Anyways, I find gender as an irrelevant factor if we talk about good governance. It's all right as long as the leader is decent, honest, and skillful.

14. profile image0
    Peelander Gallyposted 11 years ago

Oh, I can't believe no one's said it yet.

Man or woman, I'd feel FABULOUS.

http://i.imgur.com/QFJ3x.gif

1. profile image0

+1
      lol

15. ocbill profile image54
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

Probably 90 to 95% on HP see no problem with it since you are educated but the stats show that 50% will disagree. So, it's like Bush/Gore or Obama/Romney in those close elections. It would probably happen sooner than you think 
    Anyone think a black president would've won at the turn of the millenium?
    A congresswomen elected who is gay?
    Try a gay senator elected this year
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/07/politics/ … index.html
    Hate will continue to exist from radical groups. If she or he can balance a budget and create jobs, and make America a leader nobody has a problem. I'll tell you what though, there may be more secession petitions than ever. I am just not a fan of flamboyant gays, or people who are ghetto, cholo, or redneck. Tthat is a personality thing. I personally think the younger George P. Bush could win before a gay official since he is latino and has some good credentials. If the gay candidate has similar credentials, it will be close. It's a non-issue for me.

16. MsJunieB profile image60
    MsJunieBposted 11 years ago

I doubt you could find someone that would get elected that would be more radical or controversial than our last 3 Presidents.

17. ESPeck1919 profile image86
    ESPeck1919posted 11 years ago

I wouldn't care, honestly. The sexuality of an individual wouldn't matter at all to me, since I vote on policies and record instead of who they're attracted to, gender, race or anything else they can't help.

18. lanablackmoor profile image82
    lanablackmoorposted 11 years ago

I'm pretty darn gay and I've never found it too mind boggling to live under a straight president. I'm pretty sure when the day comes that there's a gay male or lesbian president, straight people will likewise be able to manage just fine. wink

1. A Thousand Words profile image67

LoL. One I day I promise people will realize the absurdity to questions like this being asked.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank YOU , we all are one!  LGBT, atheist, Black, Latino, Asian, Wiccan, Pagan, New Age, Buddhist, Muslim- who cares as long as he/she can do the job at hand!   Superficial constructs have no place in the 21st century!  Everyone is "in", there are no "outsiders"!

19. ARO1220 profile image61
    ARO1220posted 11 years ago

When it happens, I feel that the majority of the nation will be okay with it. However, there will be a female president before a homosexual president. (Anybody wanna wager?)  Workplace sexism and racism was supposed to hit the road shortly after the 60's when women's and civil rights movements were as common as McDonald's, but they didn't. Unfortunately, it took about 50 years for a colored man to call the White House home, then, during a time of toasts, a significant portion of the small-minded population decided that he only won because he captured the black vote. I believe this thoroughly investigated accusation to be of the utter variety of bullshit. However, I do almost wish it was true because poetic beauty and street justice are two notions that I am too young and stupid to give up on.  In the mean time, yeah, still waiting on sexism to come around... so, given that we are still climbing toward the apex of the gay rights movement mountain, I'd say we should expect our dear American brethren to elect a homosexual man in, say, 70 years-- and that's the saddest and most generous prediction I have ever made barring my annual prediction of the Philadelphia 76ers going to the 'ship.

20. ARO1220 profile image61

Mr. and Mr. President sounds absurdly dope, as well.

21. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

What about a lesbian Native American POTUS? I'd love to see a woman and a NA in the office. How come we rarely see NA politicians?

Most Native Americans live on Reservations. Reservations work slightly differently and exist kind of outside of our system of government. Not completely, but certain things are different for them. More recently however, they have started to become lawyers and a part of other professions of that nature. But the NA community is pretty separate from most others comparatively speaking. In the coming years you'll probably start to see more.

1. Gotridame profile image61
        Gotridameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Sorry, I should have simply said that the Native AMericans who live on reservations live according to these rules. Apologies. I was indeed wrong about that, sorry.

2. ARO1220 profile image61
          ARO1220posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hate to be a downer, but they aren't represented in our politics because our government has treated them as an independent issue. In America, we have plenty of whites, blacks, latinos, and rapidly growing Asian and Indian populations. What we do not have, however, is a growing population of Native Americans. We are only as strong as our weakest link; in this case, the weakest link, being racism.  Unfortunately, I do not doubt that we still have a strong racist population in America.  We may not base the bigotry on skin color alone anymore, but as a nation we do not like/trust/want what is unfamiliar.  In 2008 leading up to the election, the simple fact that race was a major talking point shows just how little progress we have made on a societal scale.  An insignificant voting population combined with the common American man's lack of knowledge regarding native practices, belief structures, and daily life creates a near impossible hurdle.  I hope I am wrong, but the fact that we have not even had a single NA candidate reach the national stage speaks volumes.

2. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 11 years ago

how would i feel a homosexual president?

If I was gay too, I would probably start by rubbing his shoulders and then work my way down.

Deleted

1. Greek One profile image63
            Greek Oneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

that is way too submissive

Deleted

1. Greek One profile image63
                Greek Oneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm Canadian... i am only submissive to the CRA (Canadian Revenue (ie Tax) Agency)...

They give it to me good one a year

3. ARO1220 profile image61

I think Jews living in Israel, well trying to, might take up that debate, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a white guy in America, the world honestly, who has felt cultural oppression to the slightest extent of any minority race. Although, I bet you would be hard pressed to find an average American that remotely comprehends the term "sacred."  It's just not in the vocabulary; it was replaced with "manifest destiny," which we later replaced with "mine."

Deleted

1. ARO1220 profile image61

Tis' the way of the western world

Deleted

Haha you banking on the world ending?

Deleted

Man, I hope we elect a homosexual before then.  If that isn't checked off the world's bucket list, I'd say humanity fudged it pretty bad.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)