Hub Challenge Idea - Write Travel Hubs About Your Local Area

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (32 posts)
  1. dawei888 profile image61
    dawei888posted 14 years ago

I got an idea for everybody here on hubpages: Go outside where you live and take a bunch of pictures. You might think you live in a shix-hole but the rest of us around the world would be fascinated to see your local area. Just power down the 'ol PC one afternoon and take 10 pics showing your area and write up some text describing the place. It would be a wonderful way for all of us to "virtually" travel. -dawei888

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
      Ryan Hupferposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This could be fun. smile

Great idea!

2. Anti-Valentine profile image73
      Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought about doing this a while back too. Capturing a few pics of the local flora and fauna might be good too- some rare or uncommon birds.

3. dingdong profile image56
      dingdongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said smile

4. Purple Perl profile image49
      Purple Perlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Virtual travel is fun, daweii888!
      I already have a hub entitled http://hubpages.com/Bangaloremycity which gives a review of the city of Bangalore in South India.

2. gaylemart profile image60
    gaylemartposted 14 years ago

That's a really great idea.

3. Kidgas profile image62
    Kidgasposted 14 years ago

I certainly like this idea.

4. frogg272 profile image60
    frogg272posted 14 years ago

Wow, that sounds like fun! Thanks for the great idea.  :-)

5. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Sounds great to me! I'll take the pics tomorrow...

6. anujagarwal profile image57
    anujagarwalposted 14 years ago

Its really a good idea...
    I have just bought a new cam, so it will be fun taking pics of local area. Will take snaps this weekend...

7. Shalini Kagal profile image53
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

sounds good smile

8. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

I've already written several hubs about my home town!

1. anujagarwal profile image57
      anujagarwalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

now you may write about your local area(neighbourhood) or create a photo gallery of that, if you have not covered it yet.

9. Jen's Solitude profile image85
    Jen's Solitudeposted 14 years ago

Hey Dawei888, What if you don't have a working digital camera? Can you still participate or do you have to have 10 pics? I could get some pics on line no doubt, just not sure there would be 10 of them. smile

~Jen

1. dawei888 profile image61
      dawei888posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jen & Nelle - Regarding not having a camera or providing your own pics - no problem! There are lots of pics of places on sites like wikipedia.

Look forward to everybody's "local" travel hubs! I'm so curious about traveling and learning about where other people come from! dawei888

10. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Good point Jen's solitude,

My digital camera and laptop aren't on speaking terms. I don't know why. I have several local travel hubs waiting to go as soon as I figure out the problem.

A walking tour of our historic village would be quite boring without the pics.

I was actually going to write one on how we celebrate the Fourth of July.

11. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I'm an avid birder, would love to see pics of your rare birds!

12. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Cool idea, I'll be in Charleston South Carolina this weekend and I think I'll do a travel hub from here...  I wonder if I can write off this trip as business related then...lol

13. Jen's Solitude profile image85

LOL livewithrichard, just make sure you save those receipts, you know how the IRS is.

Nelle, I'm thinking there has to be local pics I can pull and download, they would no doubt look much better than any I could take, since I have a hand tremor. LOL I love birds to BTW anti-valentine, if you need a little more encouragement. smile

I think Dawei888 might let us slide. I'll ask him to come and give us the thumbs up.

14. onthewriteside profile image59
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

I could get into this.  The only think Canton, Ohio has that people might be interested in is The Pro Football Hall of Fame. 

Some of you might find by backyard interesting though, from a landscaping standpoint.  We have a big steep hill across the back of our lot that I most certainly didn't want to mow, so we put in a dual-run waterfall that drops into a 20' X 10' X 3' deep Koi pond.  Lots of flora, and tons of cool birds.

1. RooBee profile image82
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That would be great, IMO! I'd love to see what you did and get your tips and insights about the project. And, pictures, of course! smile

1. onthewriteside profile image59
        onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Roobee!  I'll try to get that up this week.  We have an open-house on Sunday, yes...alas...we are selling the house.  But I will try to have something finished by Monday or Tuesday.  We are hoping the book does half way decent so we can get out of Ohio!

15. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I think I could deliver something pretty smile

Give me a few days. Or so.

16. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I've planning to do a couple of local hubs.  Our last big event, which I was going to kick things off with, got rained out... so there wasn't much for pictures.  smile

17. Julie-Ann Amos profile image63
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 14 years ago

I already do - search "Forest of Dean" for my hub series.  I even run a local What's On page here at hubpages!

18. Jen's Solitude profile image85

Well I guess I'd better decide what I'm going to write about and then make sure there are pictures available on line. I'm sure I won't have 10 pics but hopefully more than 1. big_smile

~Jen

19. charanjeet kaur profile image60
    charanjeet kaurposted 14 years ago

Wow this is one idea that has got me pepped up even on a saturday night will see what i can come up with darn if only i had four hands or 48 hours in a day lol.

20. fortunerep profile image67
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

Can I just take pictures of the good parts of town?
    dori

21. profile image56
    Blackngoldbananaposted 14 years ago

I think this is a great idea!  In addition to pictures and descriptions, add a little known fact and perhaps a "tradition" or "thing" that your town does.  For instance, in my town, the people in the parade throw candy at the people watching the parade, but there's a little town about 25 miles away from me that the people watching the parade throw candy at the participants.

22. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Great idea. We are traveling to Bemidji, MN for the 4th & I'll take some beautiful Minnesota Land of 10,000 Lakes photos!

Jane

23. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Here's my travel hub challenge.  I hope others post here too.
    Charleston,SC

24. Connie Smith profile image81
    Connie Smithposted 14 years ago

Here is mine, a blend of the local history and attractions of Dayton, Ohio:

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Jeweled-Blend … and-Future

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)