Feeling very low and depressed. What to do?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (60 posts)
  1. dghbrh profile image80
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

But i have to show that I am all fine and happy in front of my son and hubby. Its frustrating. Have you ever felt like this and then what one needs to do? It is hard to smile when actually i don even feel like reacting.

1. unknown spy profile image44
      unknown spyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hi deergha..whats wrong? is it caused by stress? you should recharge and rest for a while..it will go away..

dghbrhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hey dear thnx......hmmm well may b u r rite. I wl try for sure. Thnx for showing u care and concerned. Its much precious dear always.

2. DreamerMeg profile image80
      DreamerMegposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why do you feel you have to show you're fine and happy in front of your hubby and son? Maybe your hubby could help you improve how you feel? Are you able to get out and go for a walk? Sometimes, just getting out in the fresh air and getting moving can help. By the way, acting "as if" you are fine can actually be helpful, doing the "behaviour" (smiling, doing something) can affect the feelings positively.

thanks DreamerMeg for responding here. Its valuable for me....its kind of a feel lonely among so much crowd and real hopeless to be honest. I don wnna my hubby to be concerned about this and that why writing here. As I find it more comfortable here. Yeah walk always helps but  this is afternoon and very hot a day, to make things worse. Anyway thank you very much.I am not feeling like talking but then its nice to write , something I am liking in the low mood really.

1. DreamerMeg profile image80
          DreamerMegposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a journalling would be useful for you, if you like writing. You can either have a physical journal you can write in, or there are on-line journals you can write in. Of course, a journal will not respond to you, answer questions or even acknowledge your feelings but it is a way to get down all the thoughts that are oppressing you. After you have finished, you can burn them, shred them or keep them (locked away), whatever you choose.

Thank you dear...for your kind concern.

3. Jlbowden profile image85
      Jlbowdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello and I am also sorry to hear that you are feeling somewhat under the weather. Sometimes sharing those feelings with your family and close friends tends to make you feel better.  Let them know how you're feeling and they will in turn be there for you.  Your family  is your greatest support group, more so than any doctor, therapist, or medication can be.  Even though medication can be a temporary fix along with speaking to a professional in helping you get over that hump so to speak.  Sometimes the change of seasons, can make you feel blue.

A combination of the lack of light and cooler weather may disrupt the body.  And it can work in a positive way, as well as have negative influences on your physical and mental health.  Hang in there and try to do some more things that you find enjoyable, besides writing for example.  Get on a treadmill if able, and run for about fifteen to twenty minutes per day, for about three times per week.  That may coax your mind and body into feeling somewhat better by relieving your stress and getting your mind off of any troubles that may be disturbing you. 

Believe me you are not alone, because there are countless others that go through the same turmoil that you are now experiencing, including those within my immediate family.  I have a Dad and cousin who suffer with depression day in and day out.  Some days it's better than other days.  Hope you feel chipper real soon!

Jlbowden

Thank you for your concern. yeah i know well i am not alone in this case. I am feeling better now.

1. Jlbowden profile image85
          Jlbowdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello and glad to hear you are feeling much better.  See like most things this will pass too, with a little time and patience.

Thank you......yeah till we live we have to cross this sun and rain.

2. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 11 years ago

hi...first thing is that its phase...now coming to what to do?...i can only suggest , u r best to know what to do...what i do is mediate if its day time ,go for long drive if its night time...many times i visit orphanage or go to park...it works for me...

thanks for your ways to fight low moods.
      I will try to find mine as well.

3. unknown spy profile image44
    unknown spyposted 11 years ago

just take it slowly... sometimes we feel that way too, we get depresses, feeling low because of some situations.. breathe and free your thoughts. You have your hubby and your son.

yeah i know dear Spy......thanks for being there for me. It means a lot really.

4. profile image0
    Janhornerposted 11 years ago

Hi,

Feeling the blues is such a complicated affair.  Sometimes we know why we are feeling this way or it could be that we don't. 
    I never let people at work know when I feel down; because sometimes it is because of certain people in my work place who have caused it.   Very difficult. 
    Go to a quiet place you feel snug in, close your eyes and picture beautiful things and memories, float away for awhile and see if it this has helped you; I do this when I feel miserable.
    I will think of you today and hope you will be feeling better in yourself soon.
    Jan x

Hey thanks Jan for thinking about me. Yeah you are very much rite. I cant show who might have the cause of the low mood. I rather do not prefer to show anybody. That is why I am discussing here as its more then the real world for me.

5. christin53 profile image84
    christin53posted 11 years ago

I feel like this sometimes and I'm one of those people who hides it. I find keeping busy with things I like to do helps me forget how bad I'm feeling until slowly I start to feel better again. Hope this helps and you feel better soon.

Hey i fall in your category as I try to hide it from everybody. But yet to find my way to come out .

6. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

Hey Deergha. Please turn your frown into a smile. Why try to make others think you feel up when you don't. I'm sure your hubby would understand and perhaps he'd do something to make you feel glad. I don't know how old your son is but you could just say you need some alone time to pull yourself together or simply mom's just tired. Anyway I only have one hubby and one cat to handle. When I feel low I go outside and look about and try to find something that will make me say hey that's real nice and I feel better, I talk to the Lord to sort things out. Sometimes I look through old pics and find something that makes me remember and smile. Just don't make it so that you feel like you can't go on. Hey there is always something that is worth living for and you have your family. Just take it slow, count your blessings and before you know it things will turn around. Hugs from Riga.

Thank you dear
      but really feeling like quitting
      I know well that some time or the other everybody feels this way for sure

7. Meg Davis profile image68
    Meg Davisposted 11 years ago

Sometimes I feel the same Deergha.  Life can get overwhelming and depressing.  But think of the alternative.  The wheel of life goes round and eventually the fly on the bottom ends up on the top.  Hang in there.  Sending you good wishes.

Thank you.

8. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 11 years ago

Go outside and find a large, old tree, and give it a hug. Feel the natural energy that the tree gives you... you may be quite surprised. All you need is an open mind.

Thanks for the nice idea....

9. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Sorry to hear you're feeling low.
    I've been advised to honor the mood, make friends with it. And know it WILL pass.
    In the meantime, do whatever makes YOU feel better -- that you feel you have the energy for.
    Exercise and get those endorphins going!
    If that seems too exhausting, do something mindless like watch TV (reruns of old comedy shows, classic movies -- whatever you like).
    Go do something pampering for yourself. Get a pedicure. Go see a movie (perhaps one your hubby/son would not enjoy seeing with you).
    Do something that makes you feel productive. Work in the garden. Paint. Clean out a closet. Cook or bake.

Truly the best remedy for feeling depressed is to get out of self. You're doing a good thing by reaching out here.
    It always helps to know that
    a) You are not alone. Others have felt this low at times, too.
    b) It could be worse. I'm a big fan of "there but for the grace of God go I..." When I feel like my situation is bleak or hopeless, working with others never fails to give me perspective.

Good luck and please keep us posted as your mood improves!
    MM

Thank MM.....but even not feeling like writing

10. StandingJaguar profile image68
    StandingJaguarposted 11 years ago

No one has mentioned this yet, so I will. You may want to take a look at your diet, as a poor diet (or one with allergens in it) can cause stress, fatigue, and depression. I have no idea what you're eating so I won't say much, but turning away from junk food towards whole, natural foods is an obvious start. Some people find they feel better when they remove gluten, wheat, or dairy (or something else that's bothersome) from their diet. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, you may need to slowly reintroduce high quality animal foods into your diet, as many people are not sustained long-term without them. You might want to have your thyroid tested as well.

The stigma remains that depression is a mental issue, and that changing your attitude will make it go away. But depression often has physical roots, and a change of diet, activity levels, and healing low hormone levels can often lift the veil.

M vegetarian
      not eating much
      m loosing all my taste even....all appetite

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry you're going through this - depression is very difficult and real, and it's isolating emotionally.  All the ideas here are good ones - even just getting out and taking a walk helps, sometimes.  Of course, it's often a challenge just to get out your door.

Have you talked to your doctor? Sometimes antidepressants can help - and they truly do help.  Your body has used up its resources, and just as insulin helps stabilize diabetes, antidepressants can help put your internal system back on an even keel.  They don't make the 'issues' go away (kids, work, relationships, or whatever else depletes us), but they greatly help even out the sharp ups and downs. And you don't have to be on them forever.

Hang in there - and don't forget we are here for you.

thanks for being there.

11. infodinazone profile image40
    infodinazoneposted 11 years ago

Hello dghbrh,
    I have  lots of things on mind for which you don't need a doctor, if you are still in the first phase of  depression - lazy with some mild form of apathy. Thanks for your suggestion! I will post some article avoiding any medical stuff although a few vitamines will help a lot.
    So, jump and get together, ok?

Thank you...not at all feeling like jumping around...but really tired to think how long and how far to go.......well this is life.

12. infodinazone profile image40
    infodinazoneposted 11 years ago

Hey, here is my article for you.  I hope you could enjoy that, check it out  = )

I will sure  gonna check it. Thank you

1. infodinazone profile image40
        infodinazoneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It will take more time the new hub to be reviewed.

All rite...waiting to be intimated for sure.
          thanks

13. BrainSmart profile image40
    BrainSmartposted 11 years ago

Hi ,There are two main areas to tackle when dealing with depression.the first is physical, make sure you exercise and that any physical activity you undertake is truly aerobic. This will oxygenate your brain and encourage the release serotonin throughout your nervous system.examine your diet make sure you are getting the right amount of brain and mood supporting amino acidslike L-Trypthophan (in Bananas) and L-Theanine (Red Meat and Fish) . The second main area to tackle when dealing with depression is the self . Consider cognitive behavioural therapy , meditation or any other kind of activity that involves an increased assessment and understanding of yourself. If you're able to do both these will feel considerably better. Best of luck

1. MsJunieB profile image60
      MsJunieBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You need to try and figure out the root of the depression. My daughter says she was not stressed when she began to have seizures. She was a senior in high school, working 3 jobs, her brother's girlfriend was in the Persian Gulf during the Iraq invasion and her brother was going into the army. Do you see the denial she was in?
      I tried St. John's wort. It helps, but can interfere with other meds so be sure and check it out before trying it. How old is your son? Do you have any friends? Do you work or stay home? If you really want help, give a little information so we can better assess what is going to help you.
      Try aroma therapy. There are many ways to alter moods with different scents.

2. dghbrh profile image80

Thanks dear,
      I am working full time and a govt officer. My son is going to 12 this 21st nov. I do have friends and again m not comfortable to open up with none. But don worry....I am feeling better now. I felt fine after continuous work out for several days. What is worst with me is that i cant open up and pretend to be happy and fine. Anyways many thanks for your support here.

1. MsJunieB profile image60
        MsJunieBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My daughter has the same birthday! With winter coming be sure and try to find a way to keep moving. It is the worst time for people with depression according to many doctors. I am unemployed and searching for a new career path because of health issues. One of the tests I had to take to determine what I qualify for was with a Neuropsychologist. He said I am extremely depressed so I understand where you are coming from. Continue to look out for yourself. Your family needs you.

14. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I am down myself these days. Obstacles everywhere I turn. It will pass...

I can feel and understand it......yeah you are right..
      It will pass.....hope you are fine now

15. CrisSp profile image73
    CrisSpposted 11 years ago

Happy Diwali to you! I hope you're feeling better and that the celebration of lights lifted your spirit up.  Keep writing. It is my breathing space when I'm down and not in the mood to talk...it helps. Take care!

Yeah i agree...it also works for me. take care...m feeling quite better now

1. elle64 profile image83
        elle64posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You should buy some b-vitamin-maybe called b complex in your country. That will help you, eat two a day,the body will take what it needs, and the rest will get washed out.  B vitamin gives you lube to the amygdala (the reptile brain).And that will make you feel better soon. I take it almost all the time, and it gives me a extra lift, when things are tough, and it also help your skin hair and nails. Good luck ,love and light e

many thanks...vitamin B...well i will keep in  mind.
          take care

16. mimicotton profile image60
    mimicottonposted 11 years ago

calm down, do something what you would like to do, releasing yourself from the depressed conditions. Take easy.

Thanks i m feeling better now. And this phases passes by.

17. kathyinmn profile image60
    kathyinmnposted 11 years ago

Hi d
    In a class I had in college we talked about depression. We learned that everyone goes through it and it may last for up to 6 months, If it is longer you need to see a dr and tell him abou it.

When my x and I parted, I became very depressed and didn't think I would ever get out of it. I did things that I needed and had to do but I found no joy in it. It lasted almost a year. I will never forget the first day I wasn't depressed, it was like a weight lifted off me. After that things started to get better.

I had an opperation last year and since that opperation I had to fight bouts of depression. No one told me to expect that and I was surprised that I had to go through that. It's not happening as often or as hard now, but it still comes and goes.

Try doing something you enjoy. It could be as simple as sitting in the sun or feeding the birds.
    I hope you feel better soon

Thanks dear i am feeling better really.

18. BrainSmart profile image40
    BrainSmartposted 11 years ago

you need to get more serotonin boosting amino acids into your body .Try buying L-Tryptophan .A very effective mood enhancer for depression and is also found in bananas and chocloate

Yeah i can eat banana thanks...and I am feeling better now.

19. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Exercising has worked wonders for me. Also, drinking more water, and less soda. I find that if I *feel* good, my other emotions tend to follow.

Also, getting enough sleep helps, as feeling energized will pull your emotions up.

Also, also; going to the chiropractor severely improved my mood; I found I was crabby and depressed a lot, simply due to being in constant pain.

Thanks for being there. I am feeling fine now.

20. profile image0
    Sheree Roseposted 11 years ago

Saint John's wort is a natural herb used for depression.

Thanks.

21. Deen Mohd Dar profile image60
    Deen Mohd Darposted 11 years ago

You can get depression help at aboutmental from psychiatrists and i have got also so go to this link and start conversation with depression expert. About Mental-online depression

Many thanks for your concern.

22. Learning in Life profile image88
    Learning in Lifeposted 11 years ago

I am not trying to be promotional, I promise. But one of my hubs directly talks about ways to allieviate depression naturally. It has tld hons of ideas. I wont post the link but please check it out. I really think it would help. Good Luck and look always on the bright side.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)