What will Obamacare mean for you?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. cam8510 profile image91
    cam8510posted 11 years ago

First of all, this question is straight forward.  It is not a masked slam of Obamacare.  I would appreciate responses in the same spirit.  Do you know what your employer will do now that Obamacare is coming.  Your employer can continue providing your coverage, or they can drop your insurance, forcing you, by law, to buy into either the government system or a private plan.  If your employer drops your coverage, they will be fined/taxed (?) by the government.  It appears that in many cases the fine/tax (?) will be less expensive than providing insurance, so employers may be motivated to drop employee insurance.  If I have gotten this completely wrong, someone correct me.  This is how I understand it.

1. joeyallen profile image78
      joeyallenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Using the right wing term "Obamacare"  is a slam.
      The new Healthcare law will work itself out as  time goes forward if  the right wing will work on compromising with the left. The law will become balanced as each part is worked out.
      This country was founded on the concept of compromise.

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
        BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ObamaCare is easier to say than the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010, and everybody knows what you are talking about. That's probably why Joe Biden used the term ObamaCare in fund-raising literature.

cam8510posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  I think the term has caught on sufficiently.  Actually I like the term myself.

2. cam8510 profile image91

Did you watch the debates?  President Obama embraced the term Obamacare.  It is the only reason I used it here.  Did you read my Original Post?  This is not a partisan question.  It is a simple, straightforward question.  What was not clear about that?

2. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

My company is offering healthcare for my children up to 26, has free contraception, sepcifically notes you cannot be denied healthcare for previous conditions - these are the most visible so far -  a lot of the new Healthcare act doesn't go into law until 2014 so there'll probably be additional changes.

Yes, 2014, it does give us time to understand it and for things to be ironed out.  Thanks

3. innersmiff profile image65
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

Does nobody else think that these measures are going to de-incentivise hiring?

It is actually irrelevant at this point.  I don't mean to sound harsh, but Obamacare is here.

1. innersmiff profile image65
        innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Laws can be repealed. Do you disagree?

Oh, of course they can be repealed.  But do you really think with the senate makeup after the election and with Obama's victory that there is a realistic chance for that happening?  I don't.  I will deal with it as a reality and find the good in it.  There is some good there too, you know.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not for at least 4 years, by which time the PR of ripping healthcare off 100,000s of people will make it very difficult.

I think you are correct on that point.  Good insight.

4. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 11 years ago

I'm self employed and I am still trying to figure out just how exactly it will affect me.  I will be expanding my business in 2013 will be adding at least 5 new employees so I am way under the current restrictions, though I do intend on getting my employees into a good healthcare and benefits program.  Still doing the research as it is pretty hard to get solid figures to project past 2013.  So, I guess you could say that long term planning is the biggest struggle right now, at least for small business owners.

Good point.  Hopefully more information is coming soon.  Congratulations on the small business.  That is a lot of work I'm sure.

5. sweetypie1968 profile image72
    sweetypie1968posted 11 years ago

It will be a relief.  I have been without health insurance for two years since my employer dropped me from coverage after having major (life-saving) surgery.  I have been paying cash for medicine/doctor's visits ever since.  Needless to say, my medical treatment has been horribly limited which may be setting me up for even more health problems.

I am glad for you.  Enjoy the relief of stress and fear.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I expect it will not noticeably affect me in a financial way. 
    But I will sleep better knowing more people have access to medical care.

And there is the silver lining.  Thanks.

7. kathleenkat profile image84
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

My insurance will remain provided, although the rates are now a little higher. I don't know specifically why, but I know it happened immediately after the ACA was passed this summer. I think my employer/insurance is preparing for the costs associated with it, when it goes into effect. Perhaps they suspect they will lose a percentage of enrolled employees in favor of government-offered plans.

I wonder what those of my coworkers who choose not to enroll in healthcare through the company, will do? Is the requirement to buy insurance lifted when you are carried on your husband or wife's insurance plan?

I'm only guessing, but if their concern is that we are covered, then I would think being covered on a spouses plan would be fine.  Maybe someone else will have some information.

8. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Obamacare seems to have been embraced by the Obama team now.
    In the industry they refer to it as "ACA" or "health care reform."

Personally, I've already been able to get my husband insurance through our state's preexisting conditions health care exchange. My son recently applied for his state's preexisting conditions health care exchange. So that's HUGE for me. No more playing Russian roulette waiting for one of them to need hospital care that would bankrupt us.

The media seems -- as it the media's wont -- to favor the negative, sensationalistic stories.
    The Papa John's and Denny's guys are the ACA equivalent of Trump the birther. Getting publicity for themselves. And very likely, losing themselves customers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)