Who's A Smoker

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (63 posts)
  1. getpaidtopost profile image40
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

I smoke between 10 and 15 cigarettes each day costing on average £5.00 a day. I would like to give up and I have tried many things including hypnosis, patches, and non of them seem to work. Are you a smoker? If not, have you ever smoked and if so how did you give up?

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was a smoker in my early 20's I just decided one day to quit cold turkey, chew gum and have not picked up one since.

Here is my recommendation: Cut back do not smoke in public places, vehicles, etc. When you get the urge don't lite it. It takes 5 minutes for the cessation to leave. You can do it!!! smile

1. getpaidtopost profile image40
        getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have tried cold turkey lots of times, I just cant get past the first few days.

1. AEvans profile image71
          AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ask your doctor about WellButrin or Chantix that may work as well. smile

2. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can always try a good acupuncturist, it works well I hear.

3. MissJamieD profile image56
      MissJamieDposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've heard that the electronic cigs are awesome, but I don't know if I have the guts to stand there "pretending" to smoke. I only smoke about a pack a week. Sometimes none.

4. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope no smoking for me I can't.

I think if more people realized how harmful it was to their heart they would quit.

5. LVM profile image58
      LVMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, I don't smoke.  I didn't smoke. And I will not smoke!

2. yoshi97 profile image57
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I moved onto electronic cigarettes.

Mind you, I still smoke, but now I only breathe in the nicotine (and less of it), which is far less than the many other poisonous chemicals I was breathing in before. Also, the electronic cigarette produced no second hand smoke. The only external byproduct is the water vapor you exhale, which is harmless to all those around you.

All in all, I consider it an improvement, as I am no longer harming those around me, doing less harm to myself, and I am spending a bit less than I was on the real cigarettes, and after three months I have yet to touch (or want) a regular cigarette again. smile

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I heard about those from my sister.  Where can I get one.  I smoke out of habit, can't break it really.  So this electric smokes water vapor; does it cause your lungs to fill with water? I mean, would I use it and then come down with an ammonia or something?

Yeah, I like smoking but it cost too darn much plus I am getting older. sad

2. getpaidtopost profile image40

I have heard of these electronic cigarettes, They sound very appealing, I think I will give these a try see if i can ween myself of the dirty cigarette. 

3. gamergirl profile image83
    gamergirlposted 14 years ago

Try the blu! I have a couple hubs about it, and hands down it's the best electronic cig on the market:

http://hubpages.com/hub/ecig
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-use-Blu- … Cigarettes

1. profile image0

do you use them gamergirl?  I am seriously considering it.  On the site it has the 60$ and 5$ packs, what is the difference?

Are you an affiliate for them, if you are how would I make a purchase so you receive the commission?

2. onthewriteside profile image60
      onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We almost bought electronic smokes a few months back, but we didn't know anyone who had actually tried them, so we were't sure if they were worth it.  Maybe we'll have to give it a shot!

4. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

i eavesdropped(just one of my hobbies)on a conversation between two women at a bar the other night,one asked the other if she "smoked after sex"the other replied"i don't know,i never looked"...

5. yoshi97 profile image57

I smoke a Smoore 201. I haven't found any health disadvantages to it yet, though I'm certain (even in moderation) nicotine is not a good thing.

As for the water vapor, you can think of it as breathing in the steam of a hot shower. Some of the steam condenses in your lungs, posing no ill effects - the rest you breathe back out.

To date, I have tried all of the other methods of quitting: Chantix gave me bad dreams and made me very cranky, quitting cold turkey would only work a few weeks, and the nicotine patch made me nauseous. So ... I opted for the one means by which I could have my nicotine without harming others ... and with doing less harm to myself.

Again, I want to go down as saying I don't consider electronic cigarettes to be 100% healthy - I just see them as a 'healthier' alternative to something we all know kills for sure ... directly and indirectly. If you can find the willpower to quit completely, then obviously, I see that as the better course. smile

6. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

Yes im a bad girl, I smoke. I always say im under to much stress to top right now. :-)

1. profile image0

LOL, that is always my excuse too. big_smile

7. dineane profile image81
    dineaneposted 14 years ago

I've smoked forever. The only time I "successfully" quit was using wellbutrin. But once I was off the anti-depressant, I ended up starting again.

I've been meaning to order blu thru gamergirl's hubs...have it bookmarked. Maybe next payday :-)

8. gamergirl profile image83

I do use blu myself, actually.  I've been using it since it came out as a supplement to my smoking (to reduce the amount of cancer sticks I smoke a day.)

If you order through my hubs I'll get credit for the purchases and make a (rather nice) commission.  That's not my primary purpose for mentioning them, though - they really are the best ecigs I've ever tried.

1. onthewriteside profile image60
      onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was just talking to my better half and it looks like we may be ordering a couple of these through you this weekend!  Heck, 1 carton of cartridges equals almost 2 cartons of traditional smokes and only costs $25?  That's a no-brainer!  We spend about $20 a day on cigs between us right now.  At $60 each these things will pay for themselves in less than a week!  Thanks for the tip!

2. getpaidtopost profile image40

I like the sound of blu however I can not find a stockiest in the UK. I did find a few others but they are to big, It would be like sucking on a hose pipe. Blu look the ones for me.

9. gamergirl profile image83

Oh, and Sandra-

The $60 packs are the starter kit, which comes with everything you'll need to store and charge your ecigs, plus one carton of cartridges of your choice of flavor and nicotine level.

The $5 pack you see is one set of cartridges, but they're not available in single sets, they come in a carton which has 5 of those little packs in it (total of 25 cartridges.)

1. profile image0

ah, now it all makes sense.  Awesome, now all I need to do is come up with 60$ but when I do... commission for you!

10. dineane profile image81

so you "supplement" the regular smokes...interesting. I'm off to see the other hub - I think I only read one - and if you don't answer my questions in the hub, I'll be back :-)

11. gamergirl profile image83

For now, yes - not sure if I used the right word on the fly.. err, in fact, I'm sure I didn't - what I mean is, instead of smoking a regular cig, I'll puff the blu.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image71
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just out of curiosity, Charlotte... I've heard that atomizers break fairly regularly.  What's your experience on that front?

12. gamergirl profile image83

Well Maddie, if maintained properly and nothing weird happens - my personal experience shows that they last a good while.  The anticipated lifespan on blu atomizers is one year in optimal conditions, YMMV.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image71
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.  Someone might be getting this for a birthday prezzie next month.  And, if so, I will of course support you.

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

If you can't quit you are not ready yet. Stop torturing yourself and just wait until you are ready. smile

Yep I know what I am talking about. I've been smoking for more than 35 years and quit cold turkey overnight a few years ago. Never looked back - and my wife still smokes around me. smile

1. profile image0

by then, for me it may be too late. LOL big_smile

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So be it. smile You can't quit if you are not ready, no matter how hard you try - give it some thought, and you'll see what I mean smile

1. JunkerBob profile image60
          JunkerBobposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree 100%, as I've given up after about 5 years now. Though it may not be the same as 20+ years of the habit, I was ready to quit and had tried many times before. I went cold turkey.

14. dineane profile image81

I know you are right, Misha. What intrigues me about these electronic cigs is that it simulates the smoking experience in a way none of the other "quit smoking" tricks do. I'm hoping it will satisfy the parts I like (because I *do* like smoking, or I wouldn't do it!) without the negative side-effects that make me feel like an idiot for still smoking.

15. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

IDK Dineane, one may argue that without feeling like an idiot you never get ready to quit. At the same time, it may be not that necessary then... smile

16. gamergirl profile image83

You're a Goddess and a Saint, Maddie.

http://msnemotions.org/emoticons/uploads/bigo-smile.gif

17. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I used to smoke constantly. Sort of embarrassing why I stopped, but it worked. I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone lol.

Let's just say that I stopped smoking and drinking for a few months because I was scared that one certain evening had lead to a lifelong change for me. I was too scared to even take a test so I just stopped smoking and drinking, just in case.

Luckily, I found out two months later that my worst fears were incorrect, but it scared me straight! I don't smoke anymore, even when I drink. Quitting cold turkey for a few months because I had to is what made me quit. If you have kids, maybe try to think of it the same way and do it for them? Second hand smoke and what not...

It makes me cringe to even think about it. I feel so lucky and fortunate. I definitely want kids someday, but not now. Thanks to a scare like that, I am more careful now, learned my lesson AND stopped smoking! big_smile

18. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I work at a library, and I will just say we can definitely tell when someone has been smoking and reading, yuck!  The books often reak of smoke, and we have to let these air out.  One time a guy spilt a whole bunch of ash on the counter and we had to clean it up.

19. soni2006 profile image75
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

I smoke 2 a day and want to quit.

20. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

Like Misha, I stopped cold turkey and haven't had a craving. I stopped in 2002 and I smoked for about 20 years.  I agree, you have to really want to otherwise it won't work.

21. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

When I joined HP I gave up smoking cold turkey after I realised that I had smoked a whole pack of cigs while writting my first hub. I don't want to think how long I had smoked before; but I know that as Misha states; you know when you are ready to quit.

For me; I had to also give up my coffee fix, as I enjoyed how much my coffee suited my cigs. After 5 weeks, I'm back on my coffees; but without the craving of nicotine. First thing you notice is how much your sense of smell was retarded by smoking.

22. Ladybird33 profile image65
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

I use to smoke too, when you wrap your brain around it then you will go cold turkey.  It's like dieting, when your head decides it time, you will lose the weight...I went cold turkely 10 years ago and even though their are times that I miss it, it's worth it. 

I work in the medical field, seeing what smoking does to your body...I would have never, ever started!  Good luck my friend, I know it's hard!

23. profile image0
    nazishnasimposted 14 years ago

I do not smoke. Period.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

THAT is a Great Reason NOT TO STOP smile

1. profile image0
        nazishnasimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I won't STOP. Period.

24. Mac Mission profile image60
    Mac Missionposted 14 years ago

I used to smoke much but now i smoke very rarely. Once in two days or three. Secret behind this is "Make up your mind" nothing will work other than this.

25. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Smoking will eventually be so expensive few will have a choice of whether to light up or not.  Surprisingly, there is very little actual tobacco in most cigarettes as many different fillers are used in the blend.  Tobacco growers receive only about $2.00 a pound for the tobacco they grow of which less than half one third profit.  How do I know?  I was a grower for a large portion of my farming career.

The high prices charged for cigarettes, no matter your take on smoking,is a form of extortion on those who were encouraged to smoke by tobacco companies, a practice supported by the same government now attempting to quell the addiction by making it too expensive.

If this practice were to be enforced for those who were abusing their bodies by overeating, thereby causing themselves medical problems, I think the reaction would be different.

I forgot to add, over fifty packs of cigarettes may be produced from the same $2.00 investment.

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess then you'd just be left with your beloved pot. I wonder what the tax on that would be in the slack-jawed pothead fantasy world where it is completely legalized? And why?

26. gwendymom profile image68
    gwendymomposted 14 years ago

I would love some of you guys to come over to my new electronic cigarette forum and give your opinion about electronic cigarettes. I have also bought the Blu cigs and have cut down by half that I was smoking. It really is worth the investment, and in the end much cheaper. I have not made the complete switch yet but plan to very soon. Here is the link. hope to see you there.

http://electroniccigsreview.forumotion.com/forum.htm

27. yoshi97 profile image57

For those curious as to what an electronic cigarette looks like and how its used, I wrote up a hub that describes them a bit and has a great video that lets you see what all the hub-bub is all about.

I wrote the hub for informational purposes, as I intend to write a review on my own electronic cigarette later and I wanted to save my original content for that. Still, the hub I wrote should be enough to give everyone an idea if this alternative to real cigarettes might be for them.

Remember: The best alternative is not to smoke at all, but for some of us we don't have enough will-power yet to quit. smile

28. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I have never smoked. the cigarette does. I'm just the sucker behind it.

29. Animosity Reborn profile image58
    Animosity Rebornposted 14 years ago

Not a smoker... seem to be avoiding a world of trouble by not smoking and I plan to keep it that way.

30. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Never understood the appeal at the age of 12 (when both my sisters started), and still don't.

Like the fact everyone thinks I'm the youngest sister when I'm the oldest! lol, and don't want heart disease and emphysema (which runs in the family).

.................  roll

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OH>>>  But TK, your Dog Face is the cutest.  Wooetsy tootsy, cuttsoy buoosy woooooo hoooo?

OK, big boy?  You've been noticed.  Geez.

Yeah, about people who need to be noticed...

31. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

I smoke but around 3 - 4 cigarettes only. But when I go out and drink with friends, the number goes up to 5 - 10 smile. Good thing I seldom go out with them.

32. tony0724 profile image61
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

Unfortunately still a smoker . I smoke a pack every 2 to 3 days . I gave up smokin pot like 25 years ago. I am gonna have to work on this one next !

33. profile image0
    isis_dreams2002posted 14 years ago

I do between 8 to 15 a day

34. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Dammit, yes.  I'm guilty...Nothing like a cigarette with coffee sad

1. emievil profile image67
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Darn, I was about to write that (like 8 hours ago?). smile I agree 100% smile.

35. profile image63
    Michael Achillesposted 14 years ago

I usually just smoke, but lately I have been chain smoking....

1. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

We live In stressful times ! I can understand .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)