What is the meaning of life?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Greg Sereda profile image68
    Greg Seredaposted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6121265_f248.jpg
    For me, the meaning of life consists mainly of having a relationship with God and sharing with other.

1. Shinkicker profile image52
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a pretty narrow definition Greg. Perhaps atheists and agnostics might also find true meaning to their lives in whichever way.

1. Greg Sereda profile image68
        Greg Seredaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you an atheist or agnostic? Please, share your views.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What does labratness have to do with religion? smile

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Gotta love that...

3. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's it? Nothing else? No family, friends, dreams or anything else gives meaning to your life? Just the worship of an invisible super being that may or may not even exist? You toss the entire enchilada that is your one and only life into a basket over some ancient medieval holy book written by ignorant goat herders and dust farmers who believed the world was flat and the earth was the center of the universe?

1. crater123 profile image60
        crater123posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You do have the bible for reference that's how you know there is a God . And believe me there's a God he's helped me through a lot of bad times in my life.. Just start reading you're Bible and God will speak to you. Also it does have meaning to you're life with friends and family. Believing is a choice that God gives you.

4. crater123 profile image60

I agree with that having a relationship with God is awesome!!!! If you have a faith in God and count on him and do what he wants you to do there nothing he can't do for you.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

There flat-out is no meaning to life. That means you can make it be whatever you want it to be.

Fellow Lab Rats Unite!

1. mischeviousme profile image61
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For life there is no meaning, other than the meaning one gives it. If there is no reason, there is no meaning.

I'll go one better. big_smile

There can be reason, and there is still no meaning.

That is what labratdom is all about.

3. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

If you pay any heed to what very old people will tell you, those who are dying, or the less barbaric and/or silly parts of many of the currently popular religions, or, for that matter, to the message of much that is great in time-tested literature, you'll notice that the bottom line seems to be roughly always the same:

Relationships.

People on their deathbeds reflect back on the people they have loved. They reflect on how they treated those people and typically wish they'd treated them better, appreciated them more, etc.

The only mention of God at that point is usually hope, expectation or fear, depending on one's disposition. Which one of those three it turns out to be for any individual is usually dictated by how that individual treated the people in their lives.

All people need people. Not all people need a god/spirit/magical entity.

1. Shanna11 profile image75
      Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I feel like you read the same CNN article as me...

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haven't read one any time in recent memory, but if you link it, I'll have a look.

1. Shanna11 profile image75
          Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/2 … -they-die/

I skimmed it, but I think it sums up what you said.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
            Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a lovely article, and yeah, it pretty much hit the same theme. Which just goes to show, it really is an old, well-established idea. Everyone tries to complicate it. Wrap dogma around it. Build a following out of it. When it's really very simple and requires no church. Just be good to people, especially those who matter most to you. Because, in the end, that's what will give you peace. Not how rich you were, how powerful you were, or even how regularly you attended church, mosque or synagog.

1. profile image0
              jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nothing more needs to be added.

The meaning of life, is that there is only a meaning one can attach to it. If I knew the meaning of life, I'd have to right 20 volumes just to graze the surface. The meaning would then, only be my perspective view of the the matter and would only be a meaning by concept.

1. profile image0
                  jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It comes down to this, do Good to oneself and the people that matters most, doesn't it? In simple terms. Your book will be regarding how you can accomplish that, which is different for different people.

Exactly... I can no more guide my own path as I can that of another. In life we go where we go and do what we do, what ever meaning one finds, is the meaning one gives it.

2. Shinkicker profile image52
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said Shadesbreath.

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
      schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

logical

4. nextgoodthing profile image61
    nextgoodthingposted 12 years ago

In my view, life is the school for humans to grow as beings before the soul transitions to a higher place.

That is one of my fantasies.

I would love for you to be right.

1. nextgoodthing profile image61
        nextgoodthingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess you must have faith and believe. We live the life we make to ourselves....and after that only God knows.... but if you believed and worked for it you might get your shot!

1. getitrite profile image71
          getitriteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

God?!!!

5. paradigmsearch profile image60

And maybe you are.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

A long time coming...

But I have come to provisionaly conclude that faith does not equal logic...

Oh, please, please, please... Someone dispute that...

I'll get back to you tomorrow.

7. paradigmsearch profile image60

I have more experience than I have let on here regarding this subject.

8. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 12 years ago

The meaning of life is different for everyone, no two are alike.  The meaning of life is what you chose it to be.  We all have our own reasons for the meaning of life.  Its what you live for. 

I live for my parents, my husband, my friends and so forth.

I treat people with respect and try to be a good person.  And when opportunity arises I try to be better than I am. 

Some people make it their mission to protect children, or animals. Some chose jobs that help others.  Some chose to create art.  Now just because art doesn't save anyone physically doesn't mean it is meaningless.  Art uplifts the spirit, makes life fun and interesting.

So every aspect of what people chose to do has a purpose in life. Thank God for diversity.  It is what sustains us, makes us stronger, and fortifies us.

So the meaning of life to me, is simple, it is whatever you chose it to be.

1. crater123 profile image60

Amen to that

1. Diane Inside profile image72
        Diane Insideposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks crater I'm glad you feel the same way.

9. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

It's still 42, ask any mouse!!!

10. sean23 profile image41
    sean23posted 11 years ago

Exactly how can we supply a helpful respond to ‘what is the meaning of life’ without basically knowing how to clarify our less-than-ideally-behaved, seemingly-imperfect human condition? I found an article here that should present really good respond to our egocentric and aggressive self.

http://www.worldtransformation.com/what … g-of-life/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)