Hubpages on Monster.com as a career?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (75 posts)
  1. Steve West profile image67
    Steve Westposted 11 years ago

I think you are wasting the time of some good people looking for a job by posting on Monster. You are also misleading folks by making them think they can support themselves, even partially with HP even though you mention they cannot near the end of the advertisement. You use examples of folks that did well on HP when there was more traffic and earnings potential over five years ago.
    People today want honesty and transparency. You are not providing either by soliciting writers on Monster.com, a career website. This is my opinion only. I am not looking for an argument. Thank you.

1. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Writing on HubPages is not a job.

1. Arox profile image57
        Aroxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's rather a time-waster.

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
          Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

According to your profile you have wasted 2 hours.

1. Arox profile image57

That's why I said that, specifically.

Now two hours and 5 minutes.

1. Arox profile image57

That's less than 24 hours or 15 months. I waste time wisely.

But I waste time with style.

1. Arox profile image57

Less wise, and possibly obsessive.

2. Drive By Quipper profile image56
            Drive By Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have wasted over a year.

But it hasn't been a waste.

1. Drive By Quipper profile image56

How much money have you made? Blathering away on forums is a waste.

As you blather away on forums. I haven't made any money, I am not here to make money.

If you were, it would be a waste.

2. prospectboy profile image87
          prospectboyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not everyone on Hubpages writes solely for money. If you enjoy writing and view it as a hobby, then it's not a time waster.

1. Arox profile image57

And we get 2 dollars per year as well (occasionally).

1. prospectboy profile image87
              prospectboyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about you, but I'm not earning 2 dollars per year. It's seems that you're only worried about the monetary benefits that could come with Hubpages, so I can see how writing on here would be a waste of time for you.

1. IzzyM profile image87
                IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you are earning less than $2 a year, is anyone reading your hubs?

2. Arox profile image57
          2. IzzyM profile image87

Ah but what you say is not what Hubpages is about.

I found them when looking for a way to make money online.

They were a way to make money online, but I had to learn how to first.

Sad in a way, but by the time I had learned how to do it, I had a small gap of months to enjoy success before HP got slapped to Kingdom Come by Google.

If I just wanted to just write, I'd have made a blog.

NOW, however, it would seem that HP is being dragged down by those who write as a hobby.

Many many hubs here are substandard because the writer never targeted an audience, never targeted keywords.
            Just wrote something that made sense but which would never be found by searchers and will never achieve maximum exposure to what could be an appreciative audience.

THAT is what you need to know to write online.

HP is a business. It is their business to provide the platform, to make rules, and to allow hobbyist writers an easy way to get published.

It can only work if the writers actually write for on online audience.

1. Arox profile image57

Free tenancy. Is it?

2. derek gulbranson profile image77
      derek gulbransonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wondered the same thing so I reached out personally to people that sign up for HubPages from the ad on Monster.com They have said they do not feel cheated or disappointed with the HubPages experience. They are generally happy to find any opportunity to make money doing what they love, writing. Their other options typically pay less and force them to write about things they do not know or care about. On HubPages, at least they can write about things they are interested in and they retain ownership of that content.

1. aykianink profile image60
        aykianinkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

*nods at Derek* Aye.

2. IzzyM profile image87

Thank you Derek, for that input.

Your whole post says more about you as a person with real feelings towards real people, than as a representative of an organization spouting out the company line.

When I joined HP I was desperate to learn how to make money online. But I was also a wannabe writer.

I've had stuff published, but did not consider myself a real writer.

It did worry me that HP posted adverts online in such a manner. It could have given people the wrong idea.

HP, or rather the community here on HP, have taught me how to write online.

This improves our ability to become successful freelance writers.

I am frankly shocked at the standard of writing of many of those here who say they are successful freelancers.

HP brings us all together. It also gives each one of us an insight into writing online in general.

I can't think of another site which could do that to the same extent, at least none that were around when HP first started.

3. profile image0
        GoldenThreadPressposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Derek Gulbranson. I had seen HubPages on Monster.com well over a year ago and the idea stuck with me throughout that time until I joined in late August. Make no mistake that the writing is grueling at times and the hours long, but I can honestly say that I have met quite a number of great Hubbers, learned a lot from their wisdom (as well as from the HP Staff) and got super tips to make my job easier. I haven't even mentioned being a part of a great community or becoming a better writer because of it.

Is HubPages for everyone? No. No more than any other job would be to a bunch of candidates. That being said, there are those who are doing well on HubPages. They know that it takes time and hard work to get to the point of drawing income. And, know that for some, this is just a place to enjoy writing and meeting other writers. It isn't and shouldn't be considered a quick job/quick buck scenario. However, if one is a writer and wants to dabble in the world of online article writing, this is the best place to start.--Deb

Just what I want. Long, grueling hours of writing for chump change.

1. profile image0

I've never known a job that didn't expect me to roll up my sleeves and work hard. Obviously, there are those who want an easy buck but not to put much time and energy into it. I have worked alongside so many print writers and they would agree with me that a writer's life may be grueling but that's the joy and pain of doing something you love. And, my words to anyone who wants a free handout: If you find it, more power to ya! Best Regards--Deb

Nothing against hard work . . . just meager compensation for it. I do write freelance for print at 35 cents a word and up. 3600 words at $1 a word, and the grueling work is worth it. I do not get a steady flow, however, and I am exploring every option. Like you, I love to write!

1. profile image0

Then put your expertise to work and write a Hub. There are millions of niches to be filled on the Internet and perhaps you have something that will be worth sharing. No harm in giving it a try. Besides, you might just like being here. Best Regards, Deb

Thanks. you are very sweet.

3. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Steve, I found HP thru Monster.com.  Yeah, it was a misleading ad, but I don't regret coming into this community in the least.  It has led to great friendships, advice and my decision to quit the rat race in favor of my passion.

2. Arox profile image57
    Aroxposted 11 years ago

"at least they can write about things they are interested in and they retain ownership of that content."

Hat off! No one is going to rob all those recipes!

See, your time here has not been wasted!

1. Arox profile image57

That one is called non-modified conservation of energy.

3. Arox profile image57
    Aroxposted 11 years ago

Happy to hear how hub pages has taught some people SEO, and that they would have spent thousands of dollars in tuitions fees hadn't HubPages taught you that. For their knowledge, there are other venues and people who do that same charity.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Now get it right Arox.

I didn't say Hubpages taught me SEO.

I said the community here on HP taught me, and many others, I suspect.

Once learned, we can go anywhere and make money online. We are not tied by our apron strings to HP.

I just like HP. I like being here, even without traffic.

1. Arox profile image57

It seems Hub Pages remains after one excludes the community,

4. Arox profile image57
    Aroxposted 11 years ago

"That's factually true, but in practice, I think it's still misleading.

Most outsiders, reading those income figures for 2011, would assume the "success" Hubbers were earning even more today, because their portfolio of Hubs has grown.  Without the graphs, there's nothing to counter that misconception.

HubPages should update the stats to 2012, otherwise they are deliberately giving potential recruits the wrong idea."

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2210363

5. Gary Holdaway profile image86
    Gary Holdawayposted 11 years ago

There is no scam or misleading information to do with hub pages. You can earn money, but you have to know what you are doing on a massive scale. For most people it's about the opportunity to share what they know and get involved in a large community. Somebody who only signed up looking for a get rich quick scheme has not only joined under false pretences, but is completely disillusioned by the internet.

6. Arox profile image57
    Aroxposted 11 years ago

Good God! We must rejoice by the fact that some people are still under the illusion.

I would have to agree with you that not many make money on hubpages. But you gotta ask yourself, who cares?

1. Arox profile image57

Those who make the real profit over people's illusions.

You seem to care, if you don't like it after all the time you put into it why are you still here?

1. Arox profile image57

You seem to guess.

1. Gary Holdaway profile image86
              Gary Holdawayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Of course, HubPages as a company  makes a lot of money. If you want to, you set up an equivalent website. If not, get over it. Write and enjoy it or look up PTC websites that give you $5.00 a click.... I'm sure you'll get lots of luck there.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

It is my understanding that the job listings are not generally made by Hupages, but by people trying to earn from their affiliate links.

I make $2 a day not a year, but still would not see it as something that could be listed as a real job.

That said, the greatest waste of time would seem to be time spent trolling the forums of a content site you don't even write for or respect on any level.

I guess not.

1. Arox profile image57
    2. Arox profile image57
      Aroxposted 11 years ago

I haven't yet met a troll on Hub Pages. It's a clean site.

3. kathleenkat profile image83
      kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

That's how I found HubPages.

The ad specifically states that this is a part-time, supplemental-income job, and by no means should anyone expect to support themselves on it.

To be more accurate, they should just say, "Write for chump change and have fun blathering on forums."

2. Arox profile image57

Really?

1. kathleenkat profile image83
          kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes. At least that was the information given to me in the ad I saw back in, uh... I don't remember. Sometime early this year. I didn't actually sign up until like 3 months after I saw the ad (I had forwarded it to someone I know who loves to write, then when I had the time to write myself, I signed up).

Actually I think the ad I saw was on Careerbuilder; but that's pretty much the same kind of thing. Probably the same exact ad went on Monster.

4. Arox profile image57
      Aroxposted 11 years ago

The ad:  "a stay-at-home mother of 8 earns 1/3 of her household income ($3800) passively from HubPages"

http://hubpages.com/success/

That can happen. It is all about generating traffic. If you aren't good at that, then it is a bust.

1. Arox profile image57

Do you consider $3800 (per month) to be passive income? Did you see the paycheck?

Even they hide the fact that the figure $3800 is an average.

It is passive income because it is residual from a previous effort. Passive income is earned from an investment. Romney makes millions in passive income. The lady must know SEO, have a very extensive social network and been around for years. She probably got a lot of people to sign up and stuck her tracking link on everything that moves.

Now, if you are a writer looking to get a good return for well written articles, there are better avenues.

1. Arox profile image57

Which ones? Don't start about Harry Potter.

Most internet writing sites are micro-payout content farms. It would be better to start your own. I am doing that. HubPages is a good place to learn how. Once you get the hubs up, you can always link back to them from elsewhere. It is one of the benefits, in my opinion. Unless you go Adobe Muse the format here is typical, so you will be up to speed when you go to a host that uses this nasty Rupal based program for layout and publishing.

Print is the best way to go to make money. The competition is almost overwhelming. Go ahead and include a SASE, you still won't hear back. No one wants finished manuscripts anymore, and it is hard to sell with a cover letter and some tear sheets. Editors are not impressed by hubs. You need your own site.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
                  TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I challenge anybody to get the kind of online writing training you get at HP for free anyplace else.  We may not make fortunes here, but the education is worth plenty.  My writing skills have improved dramatically since I joined HP and I am ever grateful for that.  I have never considered HP a waste of time.

There is a lot that can be learned here. The international exchange is cool, too.

5. kathleenkat profile image83
      kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I find it not surprising at all that the people bashing HubPages on this thread don't seem to be producing very much on HubPages.

My mistake. I should have examined the post closer, before I replied.

1. Gary Holdaway profile image86
        Gary Holdawayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very much on the same train of thought as myself. I don't know why I get involved in these sometimes. Waste of time, Waste of typing time. I'm just happy that I made $3.00 in a week, just writing in my spare time. When I get my $50.00 cheque, it's not gonna change my life, but I'll be damned proud.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)