Immigrants informed free ride is available.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Barefootfae profile image61
    Barefootfaeposted 11 years ago

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/18/homel … materials/

Now of course that doesn't mean we don't expect them to become an integral part of our society. At least once every four years....

1. mio cid profile image59
      mio cidposted 11 years agoin reply to this

it is apparent you have no idea of the cost t,the sacrifice and the work it implies to be illegal in the country you show a total ignorance of any factual information.I know i was illegal myself

1. maxoxam41 profile image63
        maxoxam41posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. It is not only in that subject that ignorance prevails in him/her.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Makes perfect sense to me. 

This country very badly needs additional citizens that can't/won't support themselves and demand that society do it for them.  You can tell, because we have so much excess funding in our budget that has no other use, and because every single current citizen is working at a job that pays such high wages that they have no use, either, for the vast sums they take home.

Not that I would ever make a sarcastic post...

3. profile image0
      DMartelonlineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did you even bother to READ the stuff on the link that site refers to Clearly not since NONE OF THESE BENEFITS ARE AVAILABLE IF YOU ARE NOT HERE LEGALLY!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The commentators on that site obviously missed that too.

That would seem correct; the article refers to immigrants, not to illegal aliens.

So does this thread, as far as I can see, although some are posting about illegals rather than immigrants.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Indeed.  I am baffled.  If the immigrant does qualify for something, what on earth is wrong with telling them? You make any necessary corrections by changing entitlements, not hiding them.

I think the commenters are confused, but I also have no idea what point the original article was actually trying to, make other than that the government made a helpful and informative website.

1. wilderness profile image95

I got the impression from the link that the writer is complaining because we find it necessary to greet every new immigrant to the country with a long list of all the freebies they can obtain from the wonderful workers in America.  Could be wrong, but that's what I got from it.

If that is the case, doesn't it make you wonder just what kind of immigrants we are encouraging to come to our country?  Do we automatically assume (correctly) that all immigrants are incapable of supporting themselves?  Rather than attracting people that will add value to the country, do we get just those that want a better life at the expense of the American taxpayer? 

Again, that's the impression that it seems the writer is trying to promote.  Can't just come out and say such a thing, of course, but (s)he's trying to foster that line of thinking.

due to your writing i can see two things first of all you have no knowledge whatsoever of the requirements to legally immigrate to this country and second you have no knowledge of the rality of the illegal immigrant who lives in this country you simply repeat the talking points of the right wing nut extremist talking heads.

1. wilderness profile image95

So?  What, then did you get from the link?  Something different than I did, I assume, and something that also indicates that I, Wilderness, agree with the thinking? 

Something I missed that discusses illegal aliens rather that immigrants?

2. psycheskinner profile image84

I don't see it as a list of freebies.  It is a big site, it tells all immigrants what they might need to know.  Including entitlements that some of them will indeed have.  Albeit a really tiny percentage.

I assure you, immigrants are not getting huge piles for free stuff.  Or if they are, some one needs to send me some more links because I'm not getting any of it. If the author is trying to give that impression it is a big pile of spin.

The immigrants who can get any support at all would be people like foreign spouses of American citizens or official refugees taken under UN charter. The rest of us pay all our own bills and then some (for example I pay into social security but will never withdraw from it).

you make all the sense in the world but the xenophobes are not interested in being informed about the reality of the immigrant community they just want to be reafirmed in their errors

I'm under the impression that political refugees do indeed receive a huge start from the govt., but they are relatively rare.  Some that are immigrating as a result of terrible natural disaster may as well, I don't really know (or care).

Other than that, I would be surprised to find that the normal, run of the mill immigrant that can afford to get themselves here immediately goes on the government dole.  Seems to me that the writer of that link is promoting that spin, but I would be surprised (and quite irritated) to find it is actually true.

Look around and you find a site somewhere promoting nearly any and every spin under the sun.  Many get copied onto the forums here with shock and amazement, but have very little actual truth in them.

2. profile image0
          DMartelonlineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting immigrants know what they may be eligible for ... and I would have anticipated this to be a "positive" thread if not for the dig "Now of course that doesn't mean we don't expect them to become an integral part of our society. At least once every four years...."

3. Barefootfae profile image61
        Barefootfaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Show me where I mentioned legality.....

Sorry, I was confused. I didn't think people would now start attacking legal immigrants. After all, 99% of us are descended from immigrants.

Indeed.

So now legal immigrants are evil too?  That's lovely.

Show me where I said anyone legal or illegal were evil?

Well parasites just coming over for  "free ride" aren't moral people, right?

Never said that either.

So what was your point of this post titled "Immigrants informed free ride is available"?

4. profile image52
      Poodle Head Mikeyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is no such thing as an illegal immigrant.  Foreign nationals who are in the US illegally are simple basic criminals.  Why is their description sugar-coated ?

Why are we still talking about undocumented people when the website is for immigrants.  Implicitly: legal ones.

5. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello Ms. Fae.

Thank you for starting this thread and for providing the link http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/18/homel … erials/2/. I read the article but I am having a hard time believing you did too. Nothing in this article suggests a “free ride.” As a result, the title of this thread appears like an unsupported misleading anti-immigrant bashing built on distortions and intentional misrepresentation.

Some may wonder why I would say this. Surely, you saw the paragraph in your linked article stating the government web site reads, “Depending on your immigration status, length of time in the United States, and income, you may be eligible for some federal benefit programs.” No free ride offered here!

Also, you must have read the paragraph, “Though the web site appears to advertise benefits, new immigrants are not necessarily eligible for the benefits displayed on the web site;” Hmm! No free ride offered here either!

When reading the entire article, you can’t miss this statement from Alabama Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions, “Some of these programs are clearly not available for immigrants and it just creates confusion out there.” Again, no free ride indicated here if you read the article!

I did read were the DHS web site truthfully informs readers “Most hospitals are required by federal law to treat patients with a medical emergency even if the person cannot pay.” That is not an offer of free healthcare. However, it goes on to advise, “while ‘[y]ou or members of your family may be eligible for other federal benefits’ it depends on ‘your immigration status, length of time in the U.S., and income.’” Sorry, Ms. Fae, no free rides stated or implied here.

For me, at least, I found both your OP title and the government web site are misleading and the article you offer to support your “free ride” OP title makes this perfectly clear. To claim immigrants get a free ride is untrue and anyone who actually read the link you supplied would know this.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

6. Josak profile image61
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Immigrants arriving in the US may need assistance and should be made aware of it, it's absolutely a good thing and there is nothing to criticize.
      There is also no free ride available for immigrants. It concerns me that people on the right are choosing to pick on legal immigrants and one has to wonder at the reasons.

They are the usual suspects when the economy is bad.

Blame minorities, blame women having too many children, blame illegal immigrants, blame legal immigrants... it's been that way for a long time.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

If getting legal status was easy, this would not be necessary.  But actually, its like walking through a minefield of rabid weasels whilst wearing a blindfold made out of poison ivy. Thus employed illegals and refugees build up and will need to be processed somehow to separate them from criminals and unemployables.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Not all immigrants are illegal immigrants. Nothing wrong with helping people get started so they will become tax paying citizens faster.

4. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 11 years ago

Immigrants are people just like you and me. I don't know why people seem to look down on them.

5. Glen Brown profile image61
    Glen Brownposted 11 years ago

i concur

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)