Why does everyone even write here?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (61 posts)
  1. ttocs profile image91
    ttocsposted 11 years ago

Hey everyone, sorry if I'm coming across as ignorant or whatever but why do so many people even write here?  From everything I've read, for most people on this site, people are going for quantities of hubs and raising their cents per day to more cents per day.  Especially with all the recent Panda stuff.  I've been lucky enough to do well here, but even doing well, I still don't really want to write, and it makes me feel a little bad to see others getting so little views a day on things they've poured their soul in (with the intention of having more views).  I think that if you want to make money, you have to go in with that intention over the writing aspect, and if you want to write, you have to keep the money out of the periphery... But yeah; how is a few dollars a month worth it for so many on Hubpages?

1. tammybarnette profile image60
      tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't even write for money, I have just always loved to write. I am learning so much here from other hubbers, and have enjoyed very meaningful conversations...I do wish more people read my work, but that shouldn't be my reason for writing anyway...  smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
        mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Confused here, if you aren't worried about money, and you don't feel people reading your work should be your reason for writing, then what is the point in writing at all? Surely at least one of those two things is an essential desire, and without either you might as well take up knitting or something hmm

1. Tealparadise profile image82
          Tealparadiseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Self-expression.  Why do people write in journals?  I like to get my ideas down on paper (or onto a screen) and if it's a topic someone else might benefit from, I'll put it here.  Regardless, I would write.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's never been about the money for me. I learned pretty quickly that I was never gonna get rich writing the geeky kind of crap I specialize in so I do it for fun. If it gets me a payout somewhere down the line, that's cool too, but I'm in no hurry.

3. galleryofgrace profile image70
      galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm asking myself that same question. I think my ego was just deflated!  I'm overwhelmed when I realize all the time I've wasted in here for pennies over the last 3years. This is bull bologna.

1. ttocs profile image91
        ttocsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah, I hope I wasn't too discouraging, at least your writing must have improved?

4. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Over a million views in such a short time!

Makes me wish I knew more about computer games!

I used to write for traffic and earnings, but more and more nowadays, I write because I enjoy it as it will never earn me money.

I guess I am 'out of the flow' as what young people want to read about is something I know nothing about.

I cannot write about those things, because the writer's passion is missing, and it shows.

5. A Thousand Words profile image67
      A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I never get any money. I write hubs but I'm here for the forums. wink

6. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ Ttocs, what if you want to write and you want to write for money?

From a personal point of view. When we are little we dream of being pilots, doctors, lawyers and nurse...etc....I dreamed of writing as my career. I dreamed of writing for a living for 30+ years. Now I get the opportunity and people are saying things like what you are saying.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why is it so hard to believe that people write for the love of writing and for the money.?

Years ago when I suffered depression, during one of my doctor's visits, he said to me, "Whatever you wake up wanting to do in the morning (career wise), that's what you aught to do, until then you will never be happy."

I wake up wanting to write and I stress myself out because I want to make it work. I will never return to any thing else or a 9 - 5, so writing a lot of hubs to pile on the pennies is the way forward for me.

1. ttocs profile image91

Honestly, it just made me feel bad to see so many people trying so hard and here I was, able to be successful in Hubpages just because I like to play a few video games and I grew up with the Internet.  I would love to write for a living, but the articles that I love to write never really translate into articles that lots of people read, while the ones I barely take any time on give me most of my traffic.  I guess I'm just conflicted on my own situation.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

It's fun. And those dollars do add up to pay outs now and again....smile

3. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 11 years ago

I used to see the stats build as I wrote more and more hubs and also the money increase.  This last year the stats and $'s all seem to be going down despite my best efforts.  I just hope that things turn around in the near future.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I find the writing mildly amusing, and I get a pay out each month.  I find that to be an acceptable deal.

5. Zabbella profile image75
    Zabbellaposted 11 years ago

Years ago, I said ( jokingly) that in order for me to ever get my illustrations out there.... I would've had to have an uncle in the business.
    So I consider this community my family and my uncle is named Hub.
    I enjoy writing.  I enjoy illustrating  even more and  this is a fun project for me.  I also like informing others about stuff I have learned along the way.  Oh is there money involved?  ( who knew?)

1. quicksand profile image81
      quicksandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sure money is involved, and if you don't like to get involved in money, there are dozens of charities that would like to get involved with your money! smile

6. justateacher profile image84
    justateacherposted 11 years ago

I am here to write - maybe get some experience so that I can write for real money at some point in my life. I write more for myself than for others - but I am always very happy when others comment on my writing. I did originally start here for the money - but have stayed because of the wonderful, wonderful community. There is no other writing site that has a community this awesome!

7. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 11 years ago

There are many wonderful reasons why we should write at Hub Pages. Writers come and writers go and some hang around for the long term. Personally, having been on Hub Pages for what is now more than five years, I hang around for a number of reasons, including the wonderful support from staff, the income and the belief that Hub Pages is a wonderful community as well as a magnificent platform upon which to publish my work.

There have been countless threads on this over the years, ttocs, and you will see the same names appearing regularly in replies (I'm not referring to myself...) Hub Pages is not a "get rich quick" scheme as unfortunately so many are led to believe from elsewhere around the Web - but it is a hugely supportive community of both professional and amateur writers who just want to do their own thing and at some stage achieve their own, personal objectives...

Hope this helps answer your question... smile

8. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

I love to write, but unlike others, I want to make some money while doing it. Unfortunately, the new changes have thrown a wrench into the mix. New hubs don't get monetized until the Google bots have skipped over them and it takes some time before they come back. Edited hubs seem to face the same dilemma. My traffic along with a lot of other writers seems to have plunged to new lows.  The intentions of HP were noble but it seems to be working against the site instead of helping.......................sad

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Luis, I agree with you completely re the desire to earn as well as write. I think, however, you are being a little unfair to Hub Pages re the Google bot and its activity, including with regard to edited Hubs. I have seen similar traffic drops on my main blogs (Blogger, ie Google hosted) so it is not necessarily the platform we are writing for that is the problem. In many instances, I retain the same high ranking position but have experienced the huge loss in traffic. Why? Haven't a clue! But I'm certainly not jumping ship on the debatable evidence of a once pressed panic button... Maybe it's Google itself that's losing its traffic???

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
        LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

According to several forum posts, Google bots do not search pending/idle hubs and will visit these hubs approximately 8-12 days after. Edited hubs( although not all) go into pending for at least 24 hours. This diminishes earning potential since no ads are present while a hub is pending/idle. That's my only concern...........................wink

9. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

For me its about being where readers are and giving them satirical, slapstick and occasionally deeper stuff to read. For free. Hopefully, my work makes them laugh or cry, and, in doing so, introduces them to a writer they might be interested in looking at for longer works of entertainment. Plus, I get to meet people who know stuff about stuff I don't know anything about. I've met some amazing and brilliant people on here that have taught me so, so much about how internet marking, search and social media works, and I credit those relationships for a lot of the luck I've had publishing books.

10. coffeegginmyrice profile image81
    coffeegginmyriceposted 11 years ago

Writing is mere sharing my thoughts to many who are interested to read what I write and it makes me truly happy. It keeps my brain working than getting rusty. Makes me more imaginative and creative in the aspect of emerging ideas. Writing any topic makes my vacant time worthwhile. I am not writing to get my fish net full to making a profit. Writing has become a continuing hobby, no pressure, no deadlines, just freedom, and above all, HubPages is a warm and caring community where I feel accepted and praised and makes everything I write worth it.

11. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Just wanted to add...

Whenever we write something that entertains readers or gives them the knowledge they are seeking, we are making a contribution to society. To me, that is a very worthy accomplishment indeed.

12. ttocs profile image91
    ttocsposted 11 years ago

Thanks for all the very positive answers, cool insight into the community (I don't usually browse the forums).

13. kathleenkat profile image82
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

It occupies my time. I enjoy writing. I don't care about how many people read it or how much I make off of here. This is just for fun; I'm a technical writer by day, so it's nice to branch out and write about what I enjoy for fun, rather than technical documentation smile

14. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 11 years ago

I've asked myself that a lot lately and the only thing that has kept me here is the relationships I have built with other hubbers, including the ones I end up having heated discussions with in the forums because I find them to be highly intelligent and passionate and that fosters growth. 

As far as writing here... I'm done.  I've gone from a peak of 16000 visits a day to 200 if I'm lucky.  I've moved a lot of stuff which is getting more traffic than it ever did here, which I cannot explain since most of it went onto fairly new blogs.  The only good thing that came from the idled/featured hub thing is that it has made it very easy for me to move the hubs that have become deindexed. The really sad part is that my crappiest, least researched hubs are getting the most traffic... there is no explanation for this.  I'll be leaving that crappy stuff up since HP seams to like it and since this crappy stuff has been copied and stolen dozens of times and it would take too much time and effort send out DMCA's.  I've unpublished about 50 hubs and just waiting until they become deindexed on BING before I move them as well.  When all is said and done I'll probably have about 30 or so hubs remaining.  I think my only alternative is to delete this account and start with a new one, but it makes more sense to just republish on my own sites.

I think I have stuck it out here way longer than I should have.  My hubber score hasn't been below 90 since my 3rd week here and I wonder what it will become with just my crappiest hubs left.  I think they're crappy but obviously some people are enjoying them... who knows. 

I'm sorry that this place is no longer the place I came to enjoy.  My circumstances are not yours, so my decision to withdraw from writing here is based on my own expectations from my writing which has not been met here in over a year.  Those that know me, know that HP is not my only basket but I can no longer waste my productivity on a lost cause, and though I may not be writing here any longer, you may still see me pop into the forums now and then..

15. bridalletter profile image79
    bridalletterposted 11 years ago

I feel like it is an engaging social media community. I enjoy reading, giving feedback and writing. I do wish the income was higher, but it doesn't stop my writing. It can also act as a spring board to writing your own personal blog. I intend to write more on my own blogs soon and less here. I will still enteract here because i enjoy the people so much.

It takes years to get a good following with enteractive people on a blog, hubpages is much faster.

It has been frustrating dealing with all the changes, I hope that part improves.

16. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 11 years ago

I write for the enjoyment of it, and meeting others on hubpages. More of a learning community! Sharing information, helping one another, and of course meeting new friends. I have a lot of hubs, but I just write a lot every day perfecting my grammar, style and skill, not to impress anyone. The more you write the better writer you become. I'm just naturally prolific. I've never made much money on here, but can say my views have gone down just like everyone else's for the same reason.

17. abbykorinnelee profile image53
    abbykorinneleeposted 11 years ago

I have been through way to much I couldn't handle it in the last six years...I started because I was able to channel my emotions and fight depression because I was alone through it.  I think its the only way I feel sometimes people pay attention to me in a different way than in person.

1. ttocs profile image91

Hope you're feeling better nowadays!!

18. dghbrh profile image80
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

I do write here without anything attached with monetary phenomenon. Its the way I get satisfaction in my core and that is what matters most for me. I do not have anything to earn from writing here. Its an way to express what is there in my mind.
    Thanks you.

19. Globetrekkermel profile image63
    Globetrekkermelposted 11 years ago

dghbrh, i am with you. I write to express myself not for monetary gain.LOL! i already work enough.I do not need onother job.i write here to decompress . This is better than retail therapy, LOL! I find that i am in my element when I write and hubpages is a good vehicle to express my thoughts and emotions..

20. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

At first I had fun writing, and the people here were so welcoming. Then it was fun getting accolades and watching the page views grow. It made me really happy that people were reading what I wrote. Then I started getting more Google traffic, and the pennies were growing into dollars. Not many dollars, but it was growing. When the traffic stopped abruptly it kind of stopped me in my tracks. It's coming back gradually, but I've lost that momentum and optimism that I had. If I am to continue I need to get back to that adventurous spirit. If it was all about self-expression I would write in a journal. I never expected to make a lot of money, but I want people to read my stuff.

1. bac2basics profile image84
      bac2basicsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sherry. I have to agree with everything you are saying / feeling. I still love being part of HP and the contact with others is fantastic, but i had hoped to make money and it´s just not happening. Before the latest Google thing ( which I don´t really understand to be honest) I had got up earning a dollar per day and now I´m lucky if it´s 5 cents per day. It has knocked the stuffing out of me , but I am rallying and getting stuck into more hubs, this time hopefully on money earning subjects. Just as a matter of interest has anyone out there ever sold an Amazon or eBay product ?

1. ttocs profile image91

Yeah - I sell a decent amount.  For Amazon, you just have to write like something pointing people to a good product that isn't too common, and I'm pretty sure you get some money for everything someone buy from amazon in the following 30 days after they click your link.  It's alright, but pretty sporadic.

1. bac2basics profile image84
          bac2basicsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks ttocs for answering my question. Much appreciated smile

21. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

For me it's a matter of diversification, experimentation, and study.

I post my "just for fun" writing on dreamwidth/livejournal and on my mythology blog.

Hubpages is one of several sites where I publish to build up an income stream. Diversification is very important to me. Earning 80% of my total income from a single online source feels precarious. So I keep looking for alternatives like HP as a safety net. Hubpages' ROI is not particularly good, but it's still better than some of my other channels.

More importantly, by publishing on multiple sites, I'm able to learn in ways that I couldn't if I stuck only to the site with the highest ROI. I can see how Google algorithm changes impact some sites, but not others. I can study how different sites are structured, policed and promoted, and how site design impacts traffic, social sharing and sales. I keep hoping I'll learn enough about all the article sites like HP to learn the strengths and weaknesses of each.

Still, I agree with you, it's sad to see fellow members pouring out heart and soul hoping for money, only to get pennies! I'm not satisfied with that, and I can't be, because I'm trying to support myself with online income.

1. phdast7 profile image81
      phdast7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

ttocs and GreekGeek -   Very Happy that you both make an income on HP and other sites.   But what makes you so sure they are writing for money and are therefore disappointed.   I think many, many Hubbers write for the pleasure of it, to gain experience, to relieve stress, to express themselves, to connect with others   ---  it is often Not about money at all.

22. Nursey profile image61
    Nurseyposted 11 years ago

I write stuff because writing is just sooooooo much fun and one day I hope to write on HubPages!

1. phdast7 profile image81

So why haven't you written a Hub, if writing is so much fun.   Earlier today you complained because there wasn't much action in the Forums.   So write.   smile

1. Nursey profile image61
        Nurseyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if I should. I'll talk to hubby about it. But the forums are better now.

23. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I write on here because - away from HubPages - writing is my business.  It's not a big, booming, business; but it's how I make my money. I have the projects people pay me to do, and then I have my own projects for which I won't be paid unless/until they're done (and even then, who knows...).  Anyway, writing is my business, but I don't really get the chance to write the kind of stuff I "just feel like writing" if someone else is paying to have it written.  That where something like HP comes in.

Writing is also something I like doing in my spare/skimmed time, and I've been making a lot more than "cents a month" with that spare-time writing.   A couple of my better performing Hubs are Hubs that someone may have interpreted as "pouring out one's heart" - and they just aren't that.  So a) what can look like that actually can earn money sometimes, and b) what looks like that isn't always that.

With some of the more "personal looking" things I've written on here, it's always been stuff that's so old it is no longer a matter of "heart and soul" and nothing more than a matter of "intellectual-level personal experience".  For me, it's always been a matter of wanting to make use of something I've learned "the hard way" and maybe help someone who's going through it now.  Those have been the Hubs that have actually done fairly well (considering they're not big, flash-in-the-pan, search subjects).  Sometimes, too, people who really aren't all that interested in writing can interpret something with a lot of words in it as "heart and soul".  For people who enjoy writing and and have something to say/share coming up with lots to say can be pretty effortless. 

In any case, up until the last couple/few months, I've been being paid monthly for years for doing a fairly relaxed style of writing (which is how it has to be for me since I don't have a lot of energy or interest in turning HubPages into yet one more set of formal projects.  I don't know if anyone out there is feeling bad for me for having my non-commercial looking writing on here, but I sure hope nobody is.  (Well, they can feel bad for me for other reasons if they're so inclined - just not because I have writing on HubPages.   big_smile  )   People feeling bad for other people aside, most people do what works for them in some way, and then if/when it doesn't work for them they do the next thing.

24. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

HubPages is an outlet for my need to write.  It's my form of relaxation, fun and connection to our own little "world" of intelligent, talented and incredibly fascinating fellow-writers. I am happy and comfortable here, as well as grateful for the vast education.  Writers are devoted and continual "students" of all there is to learn.   Words are magical.
    To earn money ( pennies) is a pleasant bonus, but not one of my intentions nor goals.  To know me, is to understand that I believe explicitly in the powers of the Universe..........whatever we do or neglect to do, does not increase nor decrease our "place" in this Universe.....everything is as it should be, at all times.   Those who cannot accept this, are those who live a life of constant disappointment of failure.
    Life is so simple.....real and magnificent, we are foolish to complicate it or attempt to direct that which follows a natural, exact and perfect course.....Thank you for presenting this opportunity for your readers to discuss.

25. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

I write because two years ago I thought "I wonder if I can write and earn money?".  I have answered the least financially rewarding of those questions, at least to my own satisfaction.  I mean.  I can string some words together and make a sentence.  Cool.

The next part, which is just around the corner, is making some money.  I'll get back to you on that.

One other tiny thing.  I love it, the creative doo-dah.  It gives me pleasure.  That has to be worth something.

That's almost what I said, but your words are so much nicer: "the creative doo-dah". Lovely!

26. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Lisa: We all have writing we just "feel like writing," and most of us have found one site or another to post that stuff. I've got Dreamwidth and ff.net and my blog; you're posting it here.

I don't worry about people writing for fun.

It's the people who are desperately trying to earn a living that make me sad. I've known one online acquaintance who has struggled for years to make a go of it earning income online, yet he's still barely breaking $50 a month. That's painful to watch. I keep trying to give advice (probably unwanted, and definitely ignored), because I know he needs more, and I see his frustration.

I also wince when I see "Wow, I made all of $1.63 this month!" type posts. That's great if they're writing what they love to write and sharing what they want to share, and the money is just a bonus. In that case, they're quite right... not all kinds of writing can earn money, and they should celebrate if their "writing for the fun of it" articles pull in a bit. But it's... it's not what I want to see, for people who are writing with the goal of earning from their efforts.

When people are treating writing as work to pay bills, cover expenses, save up for the kids' presents, and when those people are genuinely sinking effort into their work and not merely slapping up any old garbage and expecting it to make a fortune, then I want them to succeed! I hate seeing efforts come to naught.

27. Nursey profile image61
    Nurseyposted 11 years ago

My friend says it's foolish to write on Hub Pages, but maybe I'll do it one day.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Welcome back BadCo.

They let you back again? Shocker. lol

What is BadCo?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

I'm always getting off on a bad start. I'm sorry, but I don't get your joke.

2. phdast7 profile image81

Why do you repeatedly mention your friend?   And why do you talk about writing in the future.?   If you want to write, if you enjoy writing, quit talking about it and get busy and write a HUB.

28. That Grrl profile image71
    That Grrlposted 11 years ago

I write because it is the only network site which does pay something. I write because I like to learn how a writing network site works from the inside. I like to be part of a community, though I'm not a big participator, I like being part of something growing and evolving. I like having writing goals, which I push myself to achieve. I like promoting the topics and ideas which interest me. I also write here for the linkbacks to my own blogs where I also write for one or two of the same reasons above, plus others.

Cool, way to go!  smile

29. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 11 years ago

Everybody makes great points about why writing here is worth it. Plus, writing here helps build a portfolio of articles. Writing here often leads to more writing jobs. There is great experience to be gained here at HP. I don't think anyone expects to make a living here, but the payouts are nice, anyway.

30. Natashalh profile image72
    Natashalhposted 11 years ago

I started here because I saw the ads and though, oh! Wow! Maybe I could make money writing.

I quickly learned there is no quick route to lots of money, but I stayed because I love the community. People here are (generally) astoundingly supportive and I know I've grown as a writer during the past year because of my involvement with HubPages. No, I don't make big bucks, but I love it here.

31. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 11 years ago

Like many have already said here, I write here as an outlet for my passions. But I stay here because I find the community very interesting. I like the forums, and I like reading other people's hubs.

Me too! Me too!   smile

32. swb78 profile image60
    swb78posted 11 years ago

I do write to earn money, but I also write to reach others and for self-fulfillment. I write a few product reviews and other informational articles that are up to SEO specs as best as I know how; however, in the mix I also have some creative writing, poetry, and short stories. I have done well here. I have won awards. I have a respectable following, and I actually try to interact with my followers. I have made a few bucks here, but since the changes have come from Google my traffic is sporadic at best. I have re-written, deleted, and edited all I am willing to do for the Hubpages. If it goes down to 2 hits a week--so what! At one time I enjoyed about 200 hits a day. Then, I went down to 100 a day, after the 17th of this month, I`m averaging 30-40 hits a day. I just don`t care anymore. The silver lining? I will write for the "heck." God bless. WP

33. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Like so many who have commented here, for me, the money is simply a "bonus," to all of the other wonderful aspects of being an active member of HP.  This is our "home-away-from home," so to speak.  After nearly a year & a half as a devoted resident of HubVille, I can honestly say I have become seriously attached to several fellow-writers, interested in ALL of them and can never thank them enough for the support and wisdom they share.
    It never has been about the "money," for me, so when and if the bucks come, like I said, this is a PLUS.  There have been days that I literally leave "actual" life and hop on over into my "virtual" life.  I travel throughout the streets and towns and countries that make up our huge community....and I can read of just about anything I can "imagine"....comment, exchange with talented, friendly individuals and bring my own words to life, as I feel the inspiration to write.
    HubPages is an entire life experience.....for me, anyway.  I'm not one for social websites, but while we work here, we can also socialize and gain so many fascinating perspectives from the vast variety of backgrounds our fellow-writers represent.   
    Why do so many people write here?   Many...many reasons....each of us with our own, but all of us because we love it!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)