Some recommendations for the Humanity One World Movement (H.O.W)

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (35 posts)
  1. mperrottet profile image81
    mperrottetposted 11 years ago

I'm excited about the new movement going on in HubPages called the Humanity One World Movement.  Started by Billybuc in this article http://billybuc.hubpages.com/hub/Social … -Ills-HOW, Bill called for writers to join him in writing articles concerning social problems, and try to spread them as far as possible in an attempt to make a change in the world.  Many HubPages writers have heard his call, and have written some great hubs.  A way to easily link these hubs would be to put a unique standard tag on each one so that RSS feeds could be used on each hub as well as on blogs that many of us have.  If we could all decide to add a tag such as H.O.W. or HumanityOneWorld to these hubs, then the following feed could be used in an RSS capsule or on a blog:

http://hubpages.com/tag/H.O.W/latest/?rss

http://hubpages.com/tag/HumanityOneWorld/latest/?rss

Another thought is to start a blog for this movement.  I'm not sure if such a blog could be monetized, but if it could be, the money could be sent to charitable organizations, thus furthering the idea of making a difference.  Any thoughts?

2. mperrottet profile image81

That link to Bill's article doesn't work for some reason.  The name of the article is:

Social Issues: How Do We Cure Social Ills? H.O.W.

3. billybuc profile image85
    billybucposted 11 years ago

A wonderful gesture my friend; thank you so much, and I will return as soon as I satisfy a couple customers who insist on running their business instead of letting me follow my passion. smile

4. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

I think Billybuc's HOW movement is wonderful.  However, instead of just writing about the social issues in our country, society, the world etc and instead of using blog money to contribute to charitable resources I have an idea.

We are all from different places either different states within America or all around the world.  Each of us who believe in HOW or as I like to call it K.I.S.S (Keep it Simple Samaritan) not just write about the issues as everyone knows the issues.  Each of us in our own neighborhoods actually get up and start clothing donations such as:  In larger cities there are mens and womens shelters wherein the shelters help find work for each person. In turn each person living at the shelter turns over their paycheck where it is put into an account until they have enough to move out of the shelter and into a pace of their own.  These people need office clothes.  Donate your old office clothes and suits and write about what you did and list the organization in your hub.

Actually visit a soup kitchen in your area and work a shift in one.  Tell stories of the people you met and how they became homeless.  There are some interesting stories out there that will break your hearts.

Organize with stores, restaurants, retailers, wholesalers donation day for the homeless. Get warm clothes donated and have them distributed throughout your area to the homeless and needy.  Remember these folks don't have money to buy warm clothes.

Once a month organize through your church to give a car to a needy family so they can get to work. Pay one year of registration, taxes and mechanical work along with one full tank of gas.  Wow, you just kept a single parent in a job.  Write about who you helped and what organization did the donation. 

This way by doing yourself and getting involved in your neighborhood and community and then writing about your experience it will show others that the poor and homeless really are good people.

1. mperrottet profile image81
      mperrottetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love this idea.  Perhaps instead of looking at this as being instead of H.O.W., it could be in addition to the original concept.  I think all of it's important, and could be part of the same movement.

1. profile image0
        Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  We can talk all we want but doing is showing it can be done. Learn by example.  I just wrote a hub to be published tomorrow so let's see what happens with the suggestions I made on it.

2. profile image0
      SilverGenesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes! These are excellent ideas and that's what H.O.W. is about - please consider making a hub like this and add it! If everyone who reads and/or writes does just one action...wow

1. profile image0

done deal waiting for it to publish

5. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

A majority of my 'social' issue hubs got idled tongue no ads, no indexing, no traffic.

6. tlpoague profile image80
    tlpoagueposted 11 years ago

What a wonderful movement. I will have to check out his hub. I do crocheting and donated some headbands to a family that was having a girl, but couldn't afford the frills. It didn't seem like much, but they loved them. The mother even created a name for me in case I ever decided to sell them. There are some great ideas here. I will be sure to check them out.

7. ThompsonPen profile image66
    ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

This sounds great! I think I definitely would like to be a part of it. And I completely agree with Sarra Garret as well. We do need to take action within out communities. Let's do it, friends!

8. Annsalo profile image84
    Annsaloposted 11 years ago

Personally I am loving this since I already like to write about social issues. With this I know the things that are important to me can reach more people. Now if I can just get the tagging figured out. I tried H.O.W as a tag and it told me I couldn't. Now with just "NOW" the rss is pulling up titles that are how to subjects.

1. profile image0

I know... I tried that, too. By adding H.O.W. to the hub title though, Google should start picking them all up very quickly.

9. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

http://sarragarrett.hubpages.com/hub/KI … -Samaritan

Here is my new hub with ideas on how to improve your community regarding homelessness and poverty.

1. profile image0

I just read this now and it's just great! Thank you so much! There is a FB group if you would like to connect with all the rest who are writing for Humanity One World. Please do. You have a lot to contribute! www.facebook.com/groups/294777667307474/

1. profile image0

Thank you SilverGenes for your kudos.  I would love to joing you guys on Facebook, but I don't do Facebook.

1. profile image0

No worries! We will share your work there, too, with great pleasure. Just a question... would you consider adding H.O.W. to your title? That way Google will pick them all up quickly. Of course you don't have to do that but it does help to group the material and get it read smile

10. mperrottet profile image81

There may be a problem in depending on using just H.O.W. in google, as it interprets it as the word "how".  Better to use all of the words - H.O.W. Humanity One World in the title.

Probably it would be better to use all of the words in the unique tag as well.  If we all put in as a tag humanityoneworld (exacly like that - one word), it could be used in RSS feeds.

I noticed that billybuc already has a post on his blog "The Art of Living Simple".  His could be the first blog to use the RSS feed.  I have a political blog that I could use it on.  Perhaps many others of you have blogs that you could post the feed on as well.

So, for all of you that are getting involved in this effort, please put the words

humanityoneworld

as a tag.

1. profile image0

Will do

1. profile image0

Thank you! I'm tagging now smile

11. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

I love your RSS idea...obviously this one isn't about the money, but about changing our society.  Sarra's idea is wonderful and I think (hope) that many of us are already doing things like that.
    So, if you/we can start the RSS feed, please let me know I'd be only too glad to be a part of it.

12. mperrottet profile image81

I'm not sure how long it takes for the hubpages feed to see the new tags, but I'll give it some time, and try it out.  Nothing is showing up yet, but when I was experimenting with my own hubs and trying to pull them into my blog, it took some time for the feed to pick up the tags I had put on my hubs.  I'll let you know it this works.

13. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I wondered what H.O.W. meant.  I saw a hub yesterday on the feed by silvergenes that I read, and Loved.
    What a great idea.  I'll take a look at the other hubs.  Thanks for posting this in the forums.

1. profile image0

rebekahELLE, that's very kind of you to say. Thank you!

14. mperrottet profile image81

Hooray - Everyone who tagged their hubs with the tag "humanityoneworld" is coming through the RSS feed by using the following url:

http://hubpages.com/tag/humanityoneworld/latest/?rss

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7410328_f248.jpg

So far, only four hubs are coming through, but if others of you who have contributed would add the tag, yours will come through as well.

1. tillsontitan profile image82
      tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

Added the tag and RSS

2. mperrottet profile image81

Here's how the RSS feed appears on my blog "openpoliticaldiscussions.blogspot.com" .  Right now it's bringing the five latest posts - you could also do "best" or "hot" if you prefer that to "latest".  I'm going to try to expand how many come in - right now it's set to five.  I'm also going to add an RSS capsule to my H.O.W. article to more easily link to new hubs as they are written.  If any of you have blogs, perhaps you could add an RSS feed to it as I did.  Also, if you simply want to keep track of new hubs, it you type in the RSS URL in your browser, the hubs will display.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7410388.jpg

1. profile image0

Added the RSS to all mine, too. Shared on FB as well.

3. mperrottet profile image81

I  was slightly wrong about the RSS feed coming in if you copy it into your browser - I'm using Explorer 10, and it seems to work there, but not in Chrome.

1. profile image0

It's coming up in Firefox, too. This is great! Thank you so much!

4. mperrottet profile image81

Just wanted to add that there may be a delay before your article will come through the RSS feed.  It took 24 hours for these first four to come in.

5. aware profile image68
      awareposted 11 years ago

adding a feed. isn't feeding anyone.

1. profile image0

Amen.  Purchase an extra bag of dry and canned goods and bring them to your local soup kitchen or food bank.

6. mperrottet profile image81

Believe me, I do my part in donating food.  I'm just trying to help fellow hubbers link this movement together.

1. profile image0

And you've helped a lot! Bill has it up now, too. I'm not very good with the whole RSS thing and it helps to get the article links out beyond Hubpages, too. There are so many people adding to the movement now and this is fantastic! Thank you!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)