Do you believe that "Aliens" or Ancient Astronauts exist?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (37 posts)
  1. RichusFridum profile image60
    RichusFridumposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7417520_f248.jpg
    I yes... what makes you think it so?
    If no... why is it impossible?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pretty much nothing is obviously impossible.

But the great majority of the "evidence" for this theory is bunkum.

1. crazyhorsesghost profile image71
        crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that asthmatically odds are vastly in favor of their being other planets out there with life on them. I think there just has to be. And I believe the US Government may be covering it up and may be in possession of alien space craft and reverse engineering them.

Some where out there we are being watched.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7417646_f248.jpg

On three occasions in my life I've seen craft that I know for a fact were not from this earth. Not unless the US government has space craft far in advance of what we have been told.

1. tussin profile image55
          tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

asthmatically?

2. A Thousand Words profile image67
      A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I personally think it would be silly for us to think that we are alone in this Universe. The only proof I can imagine for the likelihood of extraterrestrial existence elsewhere would be that we exist. While probabilities make things seem so unlikely, even our own existence, it is ultimately possible. Can we really be the only "live" things in this vast Universe? They may not be carbon-based life forms, their necessary elements may or may not be the same as our own. Honestly, it's honestly not so hard to believe considering when we study meteors and the like, we find a vastly larger differing types of amino acids than the ones found on this planet, amino acids being essential for life.

There is absolutely no mathematical  way to calculate the likelihood of alien life, let alone sentient intergalactic traveling life.

Thus whether of not you believe in it is purely a matter of faith (or, in some cases, subjective experiences).

Pretty much like God.

1. A Thousand Words profile image67
          A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Forget space travel, I'm specifically talking about the possibility of life apart from that which is found on this planet. I don't know about "Ancient travellers," but forget the label "aliens" for a minute and the stigma behind it and all of the mockery people who believe that they exist receive. This isn't about any preconceived concepts, conclusions, or my personally wanting there to be life forms on a planet apart from ours. I really don't care if there is or isn't, personally, as it won't affect me. I am however, willing to accept that there is a possibility that the same thing that sparked "life" here happens in other places in the Universe. There is the possibility, however unlikely, that this isn't the only planet that has something "living" on it. As vast as this Universe is, do you really think we could even begin to touch "evidence" for the existence of something billions of light years away from here? If, that's if there are other sentient beings out there, I'm sure they have pondered the same, and are just as unlikely to ever find evidence of us... even if they aren't "sentient," why is that so hard to imagine? Do I think someone's going come get me in the middle of the night and probe me in all kinds of awkward places and thenjust place me back in my bed with nightmares haunting me about it the rest of my life? No. Those people are likely crazy/delusional.

The unlikelihood of something being true is not equal to it being impossible. Just unlikely.

We have no idea how likely or unlikely.  It may be very likely, it may be impossible.

At this moment in time we have one example of a planet with life and you can't generalize from that one case--and so you can;t assign and probability to unexplored cases.

If they find something on Mars we might begin to try to do that.

3. Jonas James profile image60
      Jonas Jamesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is no reason to adopt the positions taken up by people such as Von Daniken, Sitchin, or Tsoukalos.  Every “mystery” offered by these guys have rational explanations that do not require the insertion ancient astronauts.

As for aliens living on other worlds, all you need is just one other Earth-like planet and you will have living things on its surface.  It is very possible that aliens exist.

4. chamilj profile image59
      chamiljposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes I do believe this. People can argue on as it is impossible to travel long distance in space but they may have technology we still not found.

2. RichusFridum profile image60

example of "the great majority"?

I can think of one exception, related to the star seed theory. The rest is pretty obvious nonsense.

3. A Troubled Man profile image57
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

Folks at NASA, JPL and other such agencies get paid to think about space travel and the problems associated with short term travel within our solar system and also long term travel to other systems. Two of the biggest problems are speed/time and exposure. With speed/time, it takes an incredible amount of time to get somewhere, even if traveling a near light speeds, if such a technology were invented. Since, it takes a long time to get somewhere, any life form on board a ship will be exposed to the intense gamma rays in space and won't survive the journey anyways. These are just two of the many serious problems of space travel demonstrating that it is almost impossible.

4. cryptid profile image96
    cryptidposted 11 years ago

Sure it is possible.  There is evidence, but the problem is we simply have no idea what the ancient people were thinking when they made certain carvings, painting and even writings.  One "expert" could look at a weird statue and say this thing is obviously the image of some ancient space traveler, another could look at it say its proof that ancient people had invented SCUBA equipment thousands of years ago, and another could say it's just some guy in ceremonial garb. 

Coupled with this, the guy I see on TV talking about this all the time who is apparently the foremost expert in the field seems like a complete crackpot.  Maybe he's just putting forth fantastic ideas for the sake of dramatics and discussion (God knows I do the same in my Hubs) but he really comes off as someone who sees evidence of ancient aliens in every old piece of rock he looks at.

Point 3: I think we tend to underestimate what the ancients were capable of. Did they necessarily need aliens to build their pyramids, or were their construction and mathematical skills well beyond what we give them credit for?  Did aliens influence different cultures in different part of the world, or even back then were people crossing oceans and visiting the seven continents? 

Who knows?  The evidence for ancient aliens is intriguing but way far from conclusive.

5. RichusFridum profile image60

A Troubled Man... your comment was very insightful... yet could it be possibble that the same laws of physics that apply to Earthlings my not apply to beings from a different planet  with different climates, atmospheres, neccesitites of life etc

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The laws of physics apply to all, most notably because the universe is homogeneous and isotropic.

6. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

My sons watch a lot of those UFO video's on youtube lol the one thing they noticed with all these video's of supposed 'ships' visiting us was they disappeared in a blink. Their thoughts is there's a way to open a 'door' in space from our world to others and we haven't figured it out yet. Got to love how our children think and maybe, they'll figure out a solution wink do I believe in aliens? well, there's some things I've seen these last few years that are un-explainable and the other one who seen it with me teases me, always saying ' your mother ship is coming to take you home' lol

7. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 11 years ago

Yes, and if they didn't exist that would be really weird! I have seen UFOs too when I was younger.

8. RichusFridum profile image60

Cryptid...
    if there was transatlantic travel in ancient times would there not have been dicoveries made to prove the fact by now?

1. cryptid profile image96
      cryptidposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some people say there is, but again the proof is kind of in the eye of the beholder. Like my example above:  Different civilizations were building pyramids at roughly the same time.  Some people say this is evidence of influence from alien visitors who taught them why and how to do it.  But is it any more or less fantastic to think cultures in South America could have been in distant contact, somehow, with cultures in Northern Africa?  And, of course, it could just be coincidence. 

I wish I could remember the exact example, but there also ancient statues in the Americas of people some researchers insist have African facial features.  Again, does this mean ancient Americans traveled to Africa or vice versa? Or, does it just mean the sculptor sucked and created faces that looked different than the people he saw every day? 

Who knows?

2. ptosis profile image68
      ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It wouldn't be space travel but space-time travel, and as on earth – if keep going far enough – end up in the same spot as where you started.

Of course ancients travels the 7 seas and there is evidence of this. DNA of the Ainu  a “native Japanese Indian” DNA markers are found on the west coast of a small South American tribe.

The double hulled Hōkūle'a from Tahiti to Hawai'i. The Egyptian papyrus boat  to west South America – which makes sense because before the Mayans were the Olmec with large noses and thick lips. - and where else are there complicated hieroglyphics & pyramids.

Babylonian Numbers was base 60 ( where we still use in clocks) Egyptians was base 10 but neither had the symbol for the number zero The Mayans math was base 20 and did have a symbol for zero

Think of us looking back on landing of Apollo on the moon. It seems so incredible that we were able to do it with “sharpened sticks” and "stones" compared to the technology that we have today.

There was an "hourglass" shape of world human population during the Toba catastrophe, involving a super-eruption some 70 - 75 thousand years ago.  I believe that we are all currently head for another bottleneck. All our buildings made of concrete will be all rubble in 10k years. What would the future Elois and Morlocks thinks of us as the "ancients" who flew in spaceships?

Sometimes I think that it wasn't dinosaurs who created all the oil but some ancient human garbage dump that form oil because in the future eons, all our plastic garbage dumps will turn back to a form of oil I would imagine.

I think the 'aliens' are us. Future archaeologists digging for clues via a branes parallel dimension trying to figure out what went so horribly wrong with the human race. Kind of like "Planet of the Apes" when they come back and although it was just a few short years for the space-time travellers - they came back to an empty dead rock akin to Mars.

9. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't count imposing the idea on some phenomena "evidence".

For example, some people way back in time made big pictures on the ground.  Fine.  Who was it for--we don't know.  Gods. spirits, the Earth, unicorns, pixies, to make magic, artistic expression, aliens?  It could be anything ans there is nothing to suggest aliens. There is nothing to suggest those people even had the concept of aliens.

10. RichusFridum profile image60

by stating that there is "Nothing" to suggest aliens you are displaying a great absence of knowledge on the subject.... if there was NOTHING to suggest aliens we would not be engaged in this forum... : )

If you are addressing me, that is not what I said.  I said most of the phenomena held up as evidence don't meet that criteria.

Feel free to give examples that are not basically just wishful thinking and an inability to recognize that people long ago could do neat stuff just because they were neat people.

11. aware profile image65
    awareposted 11 years ago

we  have the power to travel space .  we can transplant life from here to other planets. we are alien astronauts currently. someday we will be ancient  ones.  its certainly plausible  . i think

12. Any Other Voice profile image61
    Any Other Voiceposted 11 years ago

I believe there are "aliens" out there, but just not the Hollywood-esque, green-skinned, wide-eyed kind. Who knows? They could just be colonies of boring unicellular creatures, but to scientists that is still considered life. That is also where life started on earth, as some evolutionary theorists claim.
    But there isn't a reason to argue about the "probability" of something because it's not like anyone really knows. And we won't be finding out anytime soon, unless there are intelligent life forms out there and they decide to contact us (yeah, sure).

There is some serious buzz about what was found on Mars--it might be organic compounds suggesting life was once there. That would be seriously cool.

1. Any Other Voice profile image61
        Any Other Voiceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I'm sure that would be very serious. smile But the "once" part sort of scares me, haha.

13. karthikkash profile image83
    karthikkashposted 11 years ago

I do believe that it is quite possible. Mythologies and ancient texts all over the world talk about supernatural beings coming and visiting them. They also talk about these beings who taught them or gave them texts. However, as few people said, there is no much material evidence for it.

But again, we have different types of evidences. From some things I have read, here are some. The great battle between the Kauravas and Pandavas (according Hindu texts) resulted in almost annihilating kingdoms and civilizations together. As an evidence, the state of Rajasthan gives evidence of nuclear weapons being used more than 5,000 years ago. The Hindu vedas also talk about intergalactic wars, and intergalactic travel. There must be something to it.

Other religious texts elsewhere talk about the power of the arc of covenant which was so powerful that it would burn up and kill people if they didn't know how to handle it. It is also said that, whoever didn't know how to use it would end up mutated. This is also another possible evidence of nuclear substances.

So many textual evidence, but the lack of material evidence is something that would hinder the acceptance of these beings.

14. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

They talk about supernatural beings.  I think trying to say they were aliens is revisionist and often disrespectful of those cultures by twisting their beliefs into a shape that amuses our western tastes.

15. ocbill profile image54
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

The claims of life existing elsewhere as being nonsense, irrational or impossible are not very wise.
    ( hxxp://bible.cc/1_corinthians/8-2.htm ) and I am not very big on religion but it is just one of many sayings by philosophers.
    People who existed 1000s of years ago thought sailing to another land as impossible, imagine flying in a large metal container 30,000 feet above ground, talking to people 1000s of miles away on a cell phone, the earth was flat, traveling to outer space, and so on.
    Who would've thought it could happen.  We've come a long way but there is still much more to go.
    Since we cannot know the future we cannot logically say impossible (except in this lifetime)
    Furthermore, why would ETs only exist if it is another earth-like planet?
    If their biological make-up is different why can't they survive on planets with much higher temps or colder?
    Our scientists have been wrong 100s of times with their exclusive theories on how life can exist. They are still discovering deep sea species they claim is impossible as well.
    What we've learned here is definitely not finite until you can get to other universes and know what doesn't exist and what doesn't.  Please don't take this the wrong way. Both sides have good points but until everything and everywhere is known and we are still advancing as a civilization it would be premature.
    And no, I don't believe in the Unicorn lair in recent news. At least give me some credit there. smile

16. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

I still think the 'aliens' are 'humans' from the future. Soldiers whose genes modified for long time space travel, Big eyes to see in the dark without FLIR units on., Tiny body because in space tiny is better. No teeth all the food is in paste form anyway.
    "In the Transhumanist FAQ, Nick Bostrom similarly contends that human evolution is still primitive, "that the human species in its current form does not represent the end of our development bur rather a comparatively phase." We as a aspecies can alter ourselve by the technology we have created, and that very technology "will eventually enable us to move beyond what some would think of as "human" that posthuman or more fully human creature .. ' -Page 157 Mind Wars: Brain Science and the Military in the 21st Century by Jonathan D. Moreno (May 1, 2012)
    http://urbnfutr.theurbn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/FutureHumanJO113Smaller.jpg
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7447195_f248.jpg

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that people who travel through space will maintain muscular low fat bodies and healthy dietary eating habits, which would far outweigh the overall benefits of smaller, weaker bodies being fed paste. A ship would have to be ultimately designed for allowing that purpose.

1. Robert pires profile image61
        Robert piresposted 11 years agoin reply to this

we aren't alone in this universe.we just can't deny their possible presence.they existed in past and may be there are many civilizations beyond earth.we consider ourselves to be the most intelligent creatures in this solar system.may be there are more intelligent creatures with far better technology.

1. ptosis profile image68
          ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I thought the most intelligent were dolphins and it's mostly RADAR.

17. Bumpsysmum profile image60
    Bumpsysmumposted 11 years ago

I believe that it is arrogant of us to think that we are the only life in the whole universe.
    There are uncountable planets that exist that could support life, it doesn't have to be life as we know it!
    There are so many variables in the type of life that is on Earth right now, and some of this life doesn't need air or water, and there are creatures that survive searing heat and freezing cold.
    If we really are alone we have an even bigger responsibility to ensure that we don't annihilate ourselves, which we certainly will do if we carry on the way we are going.
    I have seen things in my life that I can't explain, and no one else could explain to me.
    I find it hard to think that we are the only planet with intelligent life on, if that's the case why are we bothering with space travel, there would be no point.
    Extraterrestrial life need not be anything like us. It could be intelligent in a way that we can't comprehend, being different doesn't make it wrong, any more than being a different colour or speaking a different language on Earth, it is just different. Diversity is what makes us so interesting, and I do believe that we have yet to discover that diversity out there in space.
    If we have been visited, and I believe we have, I would be appalled by the behaviour of some of our residents, and I can honestly understand that an alien visitor would probably not want to contact us until we've sorted ourselves out. That could be hundreds of years away or never if we continue as we are.
    My only hope is that a peaceful alien contacts us as is not immediately attacked for looking 'scary' or so 'odd' that whoever sees it can't accept it? That's what we have to get our heads round, the chances of aliens looking like us are pretty low, bearing in mind that we are, in many ways,quite badly designed, they may well be better designed and so completely different as to not look anything like our preconception of the appearance of intelligent life.
    An interesting question, and one I had pleasure in answering.

18. Reality Bytes profile image73
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

It is very possible that the Annunaki actually existed, some claim they have mixed with particular human bloodlines.  David Icke goes in depth to the reptilian conspiracy, if nothing else, it makes for good reading.

http://www.propheticvoice.co.uk/images/nephilim/nephilim1xr6.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)