The Reality of Heaven

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (70 posts)
  1. A.Villarasa profile image61
    A.Villarasaposted 11 years ago

In his just recently published book titled "The Proof of Heaven", Dr. Eben Alexander related a detailed narrative of his NDE(Near Death Experience). Dr Alexander is a neurosurgeon, who was afflicted with a most unusual and quite severe form of E.Coli meningitis that rapidly knocked out the bio-chemical functioning of his brain, more specifically  the cortical region that  is responsible for conciousness. He was made rapidly comatose by the severe infection, and was mostly sustained medically by antibiotics and life support technologies that now run rampant in any ICU setting. During the 7 days that he was comatose  while under  the 24 hrs/day close  monitoring in the ICU, he had a NDE, which he described in clear/vivid  detail in his book.

In the book he clearly delineated the fact that before his NDE, he, as a neuro-scientist did not  give much credence  to the reality of an  afterlife,  the existence of heaven and  spirirtual entities.  After he revovered from his illness ( a recovery that was so  medically  unexpected considering the severity of  the meningitis) he spent quite a bit of  introspection on what his NDE meant in the context of  his intimate knowledge of neuro-anatomy, physiology and pathology. He now concludes that there should not be any separation between science and spirituality, and that whatever artificial separation between the two that has been erected  by   man's ego, should be erased, if man has to move forward in his final destiny of fully understanding and trully unraveling the truth and the mysteries of existence vis a vis the universe and the divine.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOLOLOL

Does he have a book for sale by any chance? Still - it works both ways - this woman followed his lead and nearly died trying to recreate the experience. Sadly - it was just another religious delusion.

http://wp.me/p2Jz2C-7V

A devout Christian woman turns atheist after spending 30 days in a coma. “I was promised butterflies and big pink fluffy clouds by my neuroscientists,” says the woman, “All  the scientists and doctors I  had spoken to in the past guaranteed that I would experience heaven if I went into a deep enough coma.  Turns out they were lying. I may sue.”

I think you are misusing the word "reality." lol

Do you wear a seat belt by any chance?

1. Maestrony8 profile image61
        Maestrony8posted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7367261_f248.jpg

2. A.Villarasa profile image61
        A.Villarasaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@MK:
        Your response is typical of what I usually encounter, on a daily basis I might add, from people whose idea  of  a lucid, luminous, and levitating conversation, just does not measure up to the importance of the topic at hand. Which is  not entirely surprising, coming as it does from someone whose sense of  self-importance is matched only by his epistemological delusions.

Pretty sure that as often as you posit nonsense - you are going to find plenty of people telling you that it is nonsense. What is so important about one person's delusion exactly?

Your self righteous indignation is unwarranted - and I might add - the reason your religion causes so many conflicts.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7370645_f248.jpg

@MK:
            I certainly find no distinct importance to your delusions, but when it comes to discussing issues that some  people might find interesting and important, it is really a good idea to leave your delusions and reflexive knee-jerk response by the door. You might find that  experience liberating and exhilirating.

Why must you attack me so? I have no delusions. I am not the one thinks there is a place with pink fluffy clouds where you go when you are dead.

Got Faith? wink

1. Greek One profile image63
                Greek Oneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

who said they are pink?

The wiseguy selling the book proving heaven is real.

He says he entered a 'place of clouds - big, puffy and pink-white,' filled with butterflies and angel-like creatures that were 'simply different from anything I have known on this planet. They were more advanced. Higher forms.'

He said. lol

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7370877_f248.jpg

2. Greek One profile image63

sounds like San Fran on Gay Pride weekend...

The clouds in Heaven are mostly white and lavender...

with the exception of the lowest ones, which are more rosé. due to the flames rising up from the roasting of the disbelievers and the French in Hell

2. Maestrony8 profile image61

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7370861_f248.jpg

2. nightwork4 profile image60
          nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

it's complete and utter nonsense and i honestly think you realize this. trying to prove a myth is like trying to walk in space naked, you can only try but you will fail.

2. Titen-Sxull profile image71
      Titen-Sxullposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Of course his experience does not constitute proof of heaven, or even evidence of heaven (as proof is generally saved for mathematics or logic).

Evidence is when Nancy, from Nightmare on Elm Street, brings Freddy's hat from the dream world back with her. Now she has evidence that Freddy is more than a figment of her imagination and that if the hat can pass back and forth so can Freddy.

Did this neurosurgeon bring any evidence back with him? NOPE. The only thing that's changed is his mind because that's where his experience happened. Oh but he claims that it couldn't have happened in his brain, and because of his authority as a neurosurgeon we're all supposed to just accept that and move on. What's more likely, that he's mistaken and this is just another NDE, or that he really did go to Heaven and come back?

@TS:

You are too wedded to the physical amd material. You might want to spend a few hours a day trying to conceptualize non-material possiblities... then maybe, you would not be too-judgemental that Dr. Alexander did not bring back from his NDE, any  material proof that heaven exist.

3. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like his conclusion. Thanks for sharing.

@Penny:
        I am happy for you that someone of Dr. Alexander's stature as a materialist neuro-scientist would now give credence to the existence of a big part of your HubPages monicker.

Anyway, do you really believe that afterlife, or something like that, exists? Do you have any explanation how this interacts with the physical world?

@Maestrony:

Belief in the afterlife is either conceptual and experiential....conceptual to those who believe in the existence of the human  soul.....experiential to those who, like Dr Eben Alexander, went thru  a NDE.

My personal interpretation of the events narrated by Dr. Alexander during his NDE, is that since his brain function was totally  wiped out during those 7 days or so that he was comatose, his brain couild not have been the source of the consciousness that made him so vividly experience the events that he narrated in his book. It could only mean that another source of consciousness was operating at that time... a source that was not
            in any way dependent on the functioning of  the part of his cerebral cortex responsible for  human consciousness.

I can only conjecture as to how that other consciousness may or could interact with the physical world. Dr. Alexander I'm sure have thought a lot about it, and even he has not quite gotten to a fuller explanation.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

Quick correction - this man is a neuro surgeon - not a neuro scientist. He cuts bits out of people and has no skills as a scientist - neuro or otherwise. wink

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7370743_f248.jpg

3. pennyofheaven profile image80
          pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol ok.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

Hilarious. A coma is described as an injury to either the cerebral cortex or the brainstem. If the cerebral cortex is injured, this will affect ones perception and the relay of sensory input and indirectly, all the neurological functions.

Nuff said.

3. A.Villarasa profile image61
    A.Villarasaposted 11 years ago

@ TM:
    You might want to read his book before you dismiss it as just another "your run-of-the-mill" NDE. Since, it seems from your response, you know so much about brain function, you might want to have the debate with Dr. Eben Alexander. I'm sure he's going to give you quite a rumbunctious debate on that specific topic.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL. Understanding what constitutes a coma is minor. Accepting the perceptions of one who had a "severe form of E.Coli meningitis that rapidly knocked out the bio-chemical functioning of his brain" is ridiculous considering the patients brain has been injured, causing hallucinations.

@TM:

it pains me no end to watch someone whose empirical knowledge of brain anatomy and physiology, is as  negligible as his knowledge of the various ramifications of its pathology.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

It's laughable to watch those who desperately believe anything that will support their faith.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7370005_f248.jpg

@TM:
            What is not laughable is the  verity and gravity  of the issues raised by Dr. Alexander's book. What is  inexplicable and unconscionable is the reflexive  knee-jerk  response  of those whose belief system is so totally tethered to the purely physical and material that they may have sight but are blind, may have hearing but are deaf, may be touched  but are numb to the endless possibilities of the non-physical, non-material realities.

Verity? Gravity? Knee Jerk? We just find it so very funny when people who claim that faith is all they need clutch at these straws. Especially when this one had been done to death already. lol

Got Faith? wink

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7370658_f248.jpg

@Maestrony:

The above poster show succinctly the fatuousness of atheism... a non-belief system that emanated from nothing, and is going fast to nothingness....and  just like T.Rex to extinction as well.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
                    psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it shows yet another person who doesn't even understand what they are criticizing.

Most obviously in that humans did not evolve from T Rexs.

@MK:

Since nothing sustains you except  the  supreme and inexhaustible belief in yourself, then I suppose  you and  the other  folks who adores  in  the altar of narcissus  could go on  dancing  in  that delusional millieu.

Little wonder your religion causes so many wars.

How proud you are.

1. bBerean profile image61
                    bBereanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mark, you really are a one trick pony.  You beat this line to death even when it makes no sense whatsoever.  I see you use it all the time.  Someone disagrees with you or expresses a point that makes you look bad and your response is to pretend to know what their exact religious beliefs are, and blame wars on it.  I can only conclude that being the troll you are, you hope insulting and blaming bad things on good people you will offend them enough to get a rise out of them which perhaps you can exploit to perpetuate your delusion.  But of course, I am sure to you, my comment is just a further proof of why my "religion causes so many wars."

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

I would agree that I've not experienced the hallucinations induced by a coma.

There was this one time with tequila, however...

3. A.Villarasa profile image61

@TM:
              There is nothing desperate about being sustained by ones faith i.e the belief that there is more to life and existence than the purely physical and material.

I suppose if  someone does not subscribe to the concept that the spiritual realm do touch us in some ways at some point of our material existence, then there is really no other course for that person  than to be sustained   by tequilla induced hallucinations and delusions.

2. knolyourself profile image60
      knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Would think the hallucinations would be as different as people, but they tend to be quite in common.

3. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 11 years ago

I like the one of the chick on the park bench better

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7370901_f248.jpg

they are a little too young for me

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7370912_f248.jpg

the blatant nudity leave nothing to the imagination...

plus, the pussy in the background clearly shows she is a lesbian

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7372245_f248.jpg

4. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 11 years ago

lol

5. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

"The Reality of Heaven"

Paradigmsearch discovers this thread...

"You never get sick. You never get old. You never die."

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"You are never hungry. You always have shelter."

"No one tries to cheat you or hurt you."

"All is as it should be."

"Freedom."

"Freedom to explore knowledge. Freedom to explore mind. Freedom to be as you wish to be."

"Freedom to stay. Freedom to go."

"So why would anyone ever leave Heaven...?"

"And yet we all do..."

"We leave when we are born."

"But that is OK."

"Sooner or later we all return to Heaven."

- End -

@Paradigm:

Is there anything irrationally  wrong about humans, after spending their earthly existence and all that it entails, to aim for and dream about  an existence that you just described?

6. Jerry Hulse profile image69
      Jerry Hulseposted 11 years ago

My my, well I do know of an incident of a well known evangelist and his trip to heaven. You see, he could not speak about it to me for weeks without getting over emotional. fact is that he died and his body was in contractions as two of his state trooper sons were working at holding him in the bed. when he could talk about it he explained that he knew nothing of being in the bed and that his body was dying but he was on a craft of some knid with friends he knew from another state. They got to go in to heaven but he had to come back. well, he could not endure life here when he came back and prayed night and day for nearly a month till he was found dead. now here is the clich, when he did come back there were messages on his answering machine that was informing him that his friends in the other state had died when he did? All I can say is soon us so called religious fanatics or bad apples will be taken from this earth and then this planet will be filled with those living off their ideas and yes there will probably be people still going to so called churches looking for answers. I for one believe in the ressurection and the power of the Living Christ and will be in that number when the saints go marching in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)