Hub Hopper and Plummeting Hubber Score

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (27 posts)
  1. HoneyBB profile image92
    HoneyBBposted 11 years ago

Every time I hop hubs my hubber score plummets.  I would think that the time and care I put into this would improve my score.  Is this a fluke or am I not doing a good job when hopping so my score falls?

1. Georgie Lowery profile image90
      Georgie Loweryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have the same thing happen. It makes me not want to hop Hubs. sad

1. teaches12345 profile image78
        teaches12345posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I haven't noticed it, but I will have to watch to see what happens.  Interesting.

2. Dale Hyde profile image81
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mine drops as well.  It is not just while hopping.  My score drops whilst doing this, replying in forums, leaving comments and responding to questions.  The more active I am on the site, the lower my score goes.  Not a fluke, as this has been going on for the 11 months I have been here.  I can take off for a week and come back in here and my score will be much higher.

3. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've also seen this happen. It's strange if anything our score should go up I would think.

4. midget38 profile image86
      midget38posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's a curious issue.

5. KrisL profile image70
      KrisLposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hopping seems to make my score go up a bit, but with a delay of 1-2 days.

6. RichieMogwai profile image59
      RichieMogwaiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're right, I have the same experience. That's why I have been staying away from the Hopper.

7. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is a coincidence.
      There is almost nothing a user can do in a 24 hour period to lower a Hubber Score.

HoneyBBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well that's good to know but still would like to know how I am as a hopper and whether or not I should hang up that hat.  Thanks for responding. I appreciate it!

8. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I finally looked it up!

http://hubpages.com/faq/

What are HubScore and HubberScore?
      We use HubScore to designate the quality of individual Hubs, much like Google ranks popular pages. Many factors contribute to our rating scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being our top score.

HubberScore, on the other hand, is a collective measure of your contribution (through Hubs, Answers, forum participation, comments, etc) to the HubPages community.

How is HubScore computed?
      HubScore takes into account many factors and will change over time as data continues to stream in. It will also fluctuate quite a bit, seemingly at random, and that is nothing to worry about. The most important HubScore components that you should be concerned with include:

Amount of traffic - including percentage from reputable sources other than HubPages

The reputation of the Hubber - your HubberScore and contribution to the community

The response of readers to your Hub - including comments, thumbs up, feedback, etc.

The uniqueness of content - copying or paraphrasing content already available on the web will be highly penalized

We reserve the right to change the factors used to assess a Hub’s HubScore as we continue to determine those that measure a great Hub. The bottom line is if you write original, useful content, your HubScores will eventually reflect the quality and work you've put into your Hubs. Please try to avoid getting too hung up on your Hubs' HubScores.

2. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

I have to be honest - but what does the Hubber score really mean? It may be an egotistical thing for me, but to be honest it has no relationship to my views or earnings - I range from 92 to 100 but I don't car - my views are pretty constant and so are my earnings - don't worry about an internal score - if you have 75 or 99 it doesn't make much difference.....

1. Turtlewoman profile image89
      Turtlewomanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Simey...I don't think there is a correlation between Hubber score and views. So don't even sweat it. I stopped paying attention months ago!  :-D

3. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

My score drops every time I use the Hopper.

Interestingly enough, it seems to rise after periods of inactivity with me. Haven't logged in all weekend, and I see that my score has risen by 3 points. Wonder if there's a delay or something. Go figure.

4. HoneyBB profile image92
    HoneyBBposted 11 years ago

I'm really not so concerned with my score as I am with whether or not I am doing okay as a hopper or if I am wasting my time as well as the staff's. If I'm not doing good at it, I definitely don't see any reason for me to continue; however, if my hopping is pretty accurate then this will benefit the site as a whole.

5. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

This is odd. I haven't hopped in ages, contribute moderately to the forums and try to hit a few followers when I have the chance. I'm happy with a score of around 94 to 96. That requires some reading and commenting, with a few rates.

If I do too much of that at one time, my score does go lower.

I would love to know the  answer to this issue.

6. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

Let's call it The Mystery of the Hub Score and call in Mr. Holmes. lol Mine pops up and down but lately doesn't go below 89 and my highest being about 92. I don't worry about it too much I figure I can't do much about it anyway.

7. claudiafox profile image67
    claudiafoxposted 11 years ago

Yes, same here. Methinks I will stop hopping.

8. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Honey....To my knowledge and according to all I've heard....."Hub-hopping" is much appreciated.  It doesn't seem that doing so, would effect our score......certainly not in a negative way.    Then again, the longer I'm here, I see that anything is possible.  The worst part of that, is that we don't really know what helps and what hurts.    I'll be interested to see what sort of comments you get here.  If the same thing happens to a considerable number of other hubbers, you may have stumbled upon a curious issue!

Yes Effer, If the staff has to decide whether somebody is good at hopping or not, I don't see why they don't let the hopper know or take away their hopping priviledges by disabling their hopper bar if they are not good at it. I am not too concerned with my score but I don't want to waste my time or the staff's time if my input is worthless.

9. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

All of this is very odd, and, in several ways, the opposite of my own experience.

Hub hopping (10 hubs a day) on the old Hub Hopper definitely increased my score. (I haven't used the new one much yet.

Answering questions and commenting improves my score.

A higher score (even by 3 points) strongly increases my page views per day, and helps with earnings. (When my score is 94-96, I have lower page views and less earnings; I do some commenting (or in the past, hopping), my score goes up, I get more page views (even 25% increase per day), and my earnings go up.

I'd be interested to hear if you are using the old or new Hopper when you've seen your score go down.

It would be cool to get a response from HP staff on this one, too.

10. CrisSp profile image72
    CrisSpposted 11 years ago

Really? Don't really know how scoring goes here but I just read a hub from rahul explaining how it affects our score and he mentioned about being hub active, including participating in forum, hopping, sharing , etc. Hmm...makes me wonder?

11. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

Hubber score; The number below your profile picture, reflects your activity on HP and has zilch to do with earnings.
    Hub score: Is the score found next to each hub on accounts page. It it drops below 75, your hub is put in a no follow, sort of limbo land.  The earnings are from Adsense and a portion of Hub pages ad program.

12. profile image0
    Bronwyn J Hansenposted 11 years ago

This morning I have posted three comments in the forums, and my Hubber Score has jumped 4 points. I do not think anyone here knows how (if?) it works hmm

That's good to know. Maybe it will go up a few more since you answered this one.  :>)

2. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Early on, I paid a lot of attention to Hubber score, and I wrote two hubs about what I discovered. One is about how I got a score of 100 (<snipped>) with tips to help others, and the other is about using the old Hub Hopper (<snipped>).

And Matthew, thanks for the confirmation that using the hub hopper can't lower score - I suspected as much, but the shortest experiment I could do as a user would take four weeks.

I'll be back hopping soon!

13. wjack2010 profile image61
    wjack2010posted 11 years ago

I've noticed this too. I had a score of about 89, after using the Hopper, it's at 87, now today it dropped to 86. It's putting me off entirely, it seems whatever I do, it goes down.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)