The Ouija Board - Is it Harmless Fun?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. X-Con profile image68
    X-Conposted 11 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7440438.jpg
    Do you think playing with the Ouija Board is harmless fun? I'm writing the next part of my testimony about experiences I had after playing with the Ouija Board that led me to believe it is sinister; but I would like to read other people's take on it and experiences they had with it.

1. jcmayer777 profile image64
      jcmayer777posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I find it hard to believe that a board game mass produced in a factory and sold for $30 all over the place is anything to be afraid of.  I just don't buy that there could possibly be anything to it, but I have heard many people talk about it before and I know people who won't allow it in their house.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ouija boards are pure evil made from evil trees. Beware!

3. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I played this game with friends as a child and thought it was harmless fun. It never did anyhting we were afraid of. I wonder if it will be different now that I'm an adult?
      Maybe I'll buy a game and report the findings. wink

4. ambercita04 profile image68
      ambercita04posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was taught that whatever is a doorway to Satan, we should beware of. Such as music, T.V., movies, board games, alcohol, drugs, etc. We are to becareful what we allow our eyes to see, ears to hear, and hands to get involved in. I believe that the Ouija Board was created with the intent of contacting the otherside. God clearly tells us in His Word to stay away from Mediums, Witches, and the such and Ouija boards would be part of the such. So, yes, I believe that the Ouija Board is a doorway for allowing evil into your home and life.

2. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Sure, it's harmless fun, except when people let themselves be scared out of their wits (but considering the horror film and scary ride industry, even that can be fun.)

My friends and I used a board to help us come up with some great wizard names for a fantasy novel we were co-writing when we were kids. Although the mysterious wizard "7" was a bit silly, even for us.

Seriously, though, OUIJA boards do provide a way for us to express unconscious fears and nightmares -- that's what a lot of seance-type activities do --which is the stuff at the bottom of our minds that we're not even aware is there. Using techniques like this is almost like drinking alcohol to remove inhibitions, except that it's tapping into a deeper part of our unconscious brains that's usually only given free rein when we dream. What comes out can be very unsettling, especially if you assume it's coming from somewhere external.

It's essentially like going to a therapist who employs stream-of-consciousness and word-association type therapies, except you're doing it to one another.

3. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 11 years ago

Will Store, (a journalist) wrote a book on the supernatural, spending many hours with all sorts of people who claimed to have had unpleasant experiences with the spirit world.  Every single person interviewed, who had bad experiences, had dabbled at some time with Ouija board.  Christian contributors saw this as significant and that they had given the devil an opportunity to climb in.  One lay preacher summed it up by saying "If you go looking for the devil, he will find you." 

Scary stuff, until you consider that people who dabble with an Ouija board are the kind of people who will interpret "spooky happenings" as supernatural.  So if you believe in the devil, stay away from the board.  People seem to scare themselves a lot with it and the experience seems to stay with them for a long time.  You won't know whether your one of these people, until you've done it!  Maybe you could try doing some research into the paranormal first, and if you can't sleep afterwards, you know your one of the many whose gonna be contacted by a weirdo from a spectral portal. big_smile

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Or possibly 'if you are prone to attracting attention by making wild claims about devilish experiences, you may well have started of attracting attention by playing with ouji boards-'.  Assuming the correlation is objectively true, which I doubt.

1. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 11 years agoin reply to this

HUH?

1. profile image0
        Kathryn LJposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Obviously, I don't believe in the Devil but it was a theme that Store came across over and over again.    The correlation seems to be that if you believe in the devil, you are more likely to explore areas of spirituality, including activities linked to the paranormal, and interpret anything negative as "the devil".  If you don't believe in the devil, then you will interpret it in some other way.  Of course another explanation is that there is no correlation at all because practically everyone has sat in their living room watching as their mate, or someone from the spirit world, spells out a warning about a man with a big hat.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This.

5. tussin profile image55
    tussinposted 11 years ago

The Ouija board can be broken into small pieces that a young child may choke on.  The pointy thingy can be used as a makeshift shiv.  This game is very dangerous.

6. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

I haven't played with one in years, but when I was a kid I went to an all girls prep school and I think the board was active in at least a few rooms every night. I never had an experience I would deem supernatural and I never heard a believable story about the supernatural being involved. It's just another game.

7. tammybarnette profile image61
    tammybarnetteposted 11 years ago

One winter day in high school, school let out early and a few of us went to a friends house to play. With our fingers barely touching the piece began to move across the board...We all jumped, nobody would say they had made the move...Scared me enough to never play again!

8. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

Interesting thread here, and whilst I am somewhat undecided on whether or not they are spiritually dangerous, I prefer not to chance it. What I do know though is that the Ouija Board started out as a Victorian Parlour game (meant for people to understand and reveal subconscious thoughts and feelings of their own), and the rights to it are still owned by 'Parker Bros' (a games manufacturer). It became famous after being featured in the film 'The Exorcist', and it seems like this is where the 'dangerous' rumours started. It has also been shown through experiments that when you blindfold the participants, the planchet (pointer) still appears to move, but spells out nonsense. The same applies if the board is turned upside down without the participants knowledge. You can draw your own conclusions based on that information, me, well, I still won't chance it because I have also heard of some rather terrifying experiences people have had when using it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)