Nope..there's no war on Christmas. Nope.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Barefootfae profile image60
    Barefootfaeposted 11 years ago

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_221339 … ex-newhall

I got in hot water with the liberals here a couple of weeks ago for making the OP something they found offensive. This article underlines why I made that statement.

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Of course there is a war on Christmas, there is a war on everything Christian! Can't have a nativity scene because its not fair, might insult another religion or an atheist.

2. Lwelch profile image80
      Lwelchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The war on Christmas has been going on for years.  Puritans hated the holiday and wanted it banned.  There have been other protestant religions that have wanted it banned throughout the years as well because Christ's birthday isn't in the bible.  The Catholic view is simply that it is a day that we have chosen to think of Christ's birth.  They do note that there are many origins to the actual date of Christmas and that Christ's Mass is celebrated at that time of year even though his birthday was likely at a different part of the year.

It is very interesting to read the history of Christmas and of the battle for Christmas.  I recommend a book named "The Battle For Christmas" or the section on Christmas in "Catholic Customs & Traditions: A Popular Guide"

2. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

This is from a British newspaper watching all the hoo rah about the "War on Christmas" in America from the part of a third party observer, including debunking of a lot of the misinformation out there. Worth a read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree … NTCMP=SRCH

Nope, really wasn't worth a read. Just more denial.

2. Barefootfae profile image60
      Barefootfaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Uh-huh.

Did you even read the article I linked to or did you just react?
      You should read the article. This event occurred.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the article is about one company that is incompetent.  They don't understand the law they think they are enforcing.

Mostly the war on Christmas gang are pursuing a war on people who want to celebrate holidays generically.  But the tree is a generic symbol that predates Christian traditions--so it should not be banned in any public space by anyone with half a brain.

2. profile image0
        SassySue1963posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You do realize that there have been several organizations (across Europe) to fight all the anit-American and anit-conservative American bias in the foreign news reports correct? That is why it always makes me laugh when people on here say "oh I don't get my news from America, I rely on all foreign news." It has been proven to be so biased it isn't even worth a look.
        I did look at your article though. What they claim "never happened" actually did indeed occur so I'm unsure why they are trying to claim otherwise.
        Other than the fact that it was the tree at the Capital that was re-named not the WH tree, the other stories when researched have proven to be a fact. Sure, AFTER protesting and outcries they came up with some lame excuse to cover up what they did or reverse their decision, they did indeed occur though.
        I might also add that trying to dispel the War on Christmas and claim it is non-existent is something that particular news rag does every year. If there is no war, why do they feel the need to keep trying to loudly deny it every single year?

1. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"It has been proven to be so biased it isn't even worth a look."  Would love to see this proof.  About foreign news, that is.

I did read it and see it as one manager being a moron, not obviously a skirmish in anything that a sane person would compare to a war.

2. profile image0
            1. profile image0

A few bloggers with videos is not proof of bias.

I'm always amazed that liberals who pull facts out of thin air (as you did concerning drug use) are never satisfied with proof from the right.

1. profile image0

Eh, they are not out of thin air, but I am not interested in doing a tit-for-tat on drug studies. We'd be here all day.  At least your evidence was an actual study.

As opposed to your thin air approach!

2. psycheskinner profile image83

I am amazed that you think this general human habit ('confirmatory bias') is not universal.

1. profile image0

Stop trying to be rational when two ideologues are pretending to argue.  It's a waste of time.  [wink]

3. Barefootfae profile image60

Oh no because you didn't get it from one of their approved sources.

2. profile image0

From one of the links, straight from the mouth of the BBC. Did you even watch the videos? They contain the actual news reports in various countries of Europe.

Let's just stick to the article from the great fact reporter "cough" the Guardian then.

Point #1: "Birmingham never replaced Christmas with Winterval"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/210672.stm
                No they didn't ban Christmas, they just tried to get people to use a "different" name.

Point #2: "A US Texas school district did not ban wearing red and green clothing"
                Nope. It actually banned bringing red and green plates and napkins to a "holiday" party. I might add, the same district just lost in a lawsuit claiming religious discrimination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plano_Inde … l_District (yes, I know icky wikipedia but it does have all the information rather than bunches of links regarding this particular school district)

point #3: Gap did not ban the word Christmas.
                As it turned out, a GAP official said they used the word "holiday" and Christmas is never mentioned, however, they did use the word Christmas in one of their ads. They may not, but there are numerous companies (wal-mart was one) that do. Wal-Mart has since reversed its decision.
                http://www.wnd.com/2005/11/33364/

The rest are just the same. Those instances did occur though someone got one thing wrong here or there, or they use the GAP because that one was incorrect, when the actual instance of the word being "discouraged" by companies is actually accurate.
                This is the type of biased reporting you get smile

3. profile image0
            Kathryn LJposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sassysue, have you ever heard of the old switcheroo?  Whilst they're banging on about this kind of seasonal rubbish, they are distracting from far more important things.  Like what's going on in Palestine for example.  Now there's an ironic Christmas story for Christians to get their teeth into.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
              Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, everything they say must be a biased because it points out problems with their opinions and states facts.

1. profile image0

UW really? No it is biased because it claims things that DID occur, did NOT occur in order to plant THEIR opinion into the heads of those such as yourself. See how nicely it worked too?

Things that happened in the minds of conspiracy theoriests or real things?

1. profile image0

It's not a conspiracy. It's an attitude of discrimination that is perpetuated because people such as yourself see no wrong in it or simply deny its existence.

See it all has been couched in "Fox News conspiracy theories" so when it actually happens they can feel all fuzzy if they ignore it.

The cause of denial is selective attack.  Different media have different biases for different reasons.  You have to be critical of all of them or risk being ignored because you are, well, biased.

I don't even know what bias we are talking about here.

What we have is some asshat telling the old folks they can't have a tree.  Probably because he doesn't know trees are not Christian in their symbolism.

Maybe is is trying to be inclusive in some misguided way.  Most likely he is as officious as he is stupid.

I see no one here defend his actions and see them as beside the point when it comes to the usual Xmas-War-2012 nonsense.

They moved on to bias in foreign news reports about the US.

Oh, well.

Media is biased universally because it is an activity made up of people (SEE: conformational bias).

2. Barefootfae profile image60

He is quite obviously doing it out of a sense of political correctness that comes from only one direction......
                    and Sassy Sue was good enough to prove this does not happen in  just one place with one idiot.
                    He was also making them take down manoras so he is an equal opportunity offender.

3. Repairguy47 profile image60

In your mind its inclusive to exclude someone?

2. profile image0

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen or that people aren't entitled to their opinions.  It's just that it's not that important is it?  Christmas will always stay as the institution that's it's been for the last couple of hundred years.  What you really need to watch out for is Christian fundamentalists.  Last time that lot got their mits on the government of England, they banned it and even made eating mince pies against the law.  Then after a few years, the English came to their senses and Christmas was restored.  The fun police then bought a one way ticket to a far away place.  Where was it again? big_smile

3. profile image0

Well I read it Greekgeek, and I think it's hilarious.  As if Christmas would be banned, half the mail order companies would go bankrupt overnight.  Grow up people!

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Paradigmsearch hereby declares himself pro Christmas.

And that's the name of that tune...

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Certainly not a smart move on the part of the management. Funny when so many born again Christians are against Christmas trees because they are seen as pagan.

However, this does not stop people from celebrating Christmas their own way.. The same with people saying Happy Holidays does not stop people from celebrating Christmas. Or not having nativity scenes in front of court houses does not stop them from putting them on their or their church's property.

5. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 11 years ago

Is this really that hard to understand? Liberals will do anything to make the world secular, liberals seem to think Christians/Muslims/Jews are at the heart of the worlds problems. They never see that its their actions that produce problems.

Again, not all atheists and people for separation of chuch and state are liberal.

Didn't say they were, I said liberals want a secular world. Maybe some others do as well, doesn't change what I said!

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I thought Jesus was a Liberal?

Jesus is neither a Liberal nor  a Conservative.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57

Oh - right. lol

2. Repairguy47 profile image60

He is, some liberals do good things, most don't.

1. Cody Hodge5 profile image68
            Cody Hodge5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

So then why do people who believe in Jesus align with the GOP?

Liberals can be Christians too, didn't you know that. And since conservatives give more to charities it just makes sense they would align themselves with a giving man.

1. Cody Hodge5 profile image68
                Cody Hodge5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Eh....

I can't imagine Jesus would be pleased with the average Christian conservative....something about loving everyone and stuff that most of them just don't get.

Maybe not, that's why they ask for forgiveness!

Bless you my child.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

The barefoot thing sez otherwise. Most huh? You must know a lot of them to say that.

I sure do, they are also known by their actions.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I am sure that what Jesus thought bears no sensible relation to modern party political divisions. It's like asking what which animal Noah would choose to save from the flood, Hello Kitty or Snoopy.

Snoopy of course.

7. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 11 years ago

You see guys, this is what comes of making Christmas all about religion.  You've all started arguing and falling out.  What happened to good will to ALL men?  (and presumably other genders.  Or perhaps not that would just get you all going again.) 

By the way, I was really disappointed that you lot didn't rise to the bait of Christian puritanism ruining Christmas (because some of you were from America).  I was joking by the way, the English did invent Puritanism after all. big_smile

8. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 11 years ago

I don't find a war on Christmas, although there is definitely a war on the publicly funded religious observance of the day.  Christmas started as a pagan observance and has, to a large degree, become more and more of a secular holiday over the years. 

To have a private company deny a group of residents a christmas tree because the spelling of the word includes the word Christ is foolish indeed, but it is a small part of the backlash of being PC and bending over backwards to placate all religions (plus atheism for you purists out there) at the same time.  It can't be done.

Were I a resident there I would vocally encourage every resident to put an "Xmas" tree in their room and let the owners know you are looking for a new place to live.  File a complaint.  Start a petition, striving for a signature from every resident.  Ask Jews, Witnesses or other religions to write a note saying they don't mind.  Nip this in the bud before it spreads to cover ever more PC crap as owners try to please everyone at the same time and that goes for every other attempt to curb the observance of a much beloved holiday because "it is Christian".  It's not.

9. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

at the OP....what about the NDP?....

anyway...basically i don't give a shite what someone's political stance or religious affiliation is in Canada.....Christmas is a tradition....that can't be taken away from families that celebrate that tradition....as for me these days...bah humbug...but, that's just me right now.....    smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image57

Is someone trying to take away your ability to celebrate Christmas?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)