When not featuring idled hubs on profile...

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)
  1. jellygator profile image89
    jellygatorposted 11 years ago

I recently read Simone's hub on this, but cannot find it again. It talked about how hubs would or would not be featured on our profiles if they're idle and the impact that our choice have on Google searches.

Prior to that I remember seeing that idle hubs would not likely drag down our content, and that there was some sort of bot recognition for seasonality. But I just realized that my Valentine's Day hub and my Leap Year Day hubs will no longer be on my profile at all. are we able to feature just certain idle hubs and leave the rest off? If so, how?

Thanks!

1. ChristyWrites profile image79
      ChristyWritesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe it is an all-or-nothing approach for showing all idle hubs or none at all on our profile. The option is under "Profile" on your account. Near the bottom of the page is the "Show idle hubs on my profile" option. Select yes or no. I currently have my profile as "no" because there is a warning that idle hubs lower your profile rating on Google, which diminishes your search traffic. Best of luck to you jellygator smile

1. teaches12345 profile image78
        teaches12345posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Christy, thanks for the reminder on how to use the show idle hubs. I also would add that if you update your hub, Jelley, by adding a poll, picture or information, it will most likely reactivate your hub post.

1. ChristyWrites profile image79
          ChristyWritesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Teaches for the additional info!

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

So is it better to (a) let rarely viewed hubs go idle and not allow them to be featured on your subdomain, or (b) edit them to take them out of idle and have rarely-viewed hubs on your subdomain?

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My personal opinion:

If I felt that the subject of a  hub had the potential to make the headlines in the future, I would do everything possible to continue to get it seen by SE.  I wrote a hub on Advanced Fee Scheme, since 8/10 this hub has received just over 500 views.  For some reason, this week the hub has received 10-20 views a day, not much, but it is traffic.

If I had a hub that I thought was quality content but not likely to ever receive much traffic, I would allow it to remain published, but I would also allow it to be hidden on my profile.  What I would do is to link to the hub through every source that was relevant.  I prefer links within the body of the text using relevant words or phrases. 

I would enjoy the ability to have a page go straight to ZZzz,  this way I could provide additional information on small points within my existing hub without needing to create a full hub.  A few hundred words without using polls, quizzes, videos, etc...  A sort of personal Wikipedia.  Something that would be available to my viewers without cluttering my profile.

For example, I would like to provide more information on small points of history without the need to expand it in to a stand alone article.  I thought of doing this with a blogger page but I felt the excess links to one site would cause issues.  Does anyone do this sort of thing and if you do, how do you do it?

2. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know this thread is a few weeks old but I just want to share my experience with those that are considering not to leave your idled hubs on your profile pages. 

Personally, I don't believe the crap that HP is spewing about some content, that their bots have targeted, will hold down your better performing content.  Absolutely no proof of this has been shown.  I decided that my content should remain on my profile page... and I have found great benefit from those hubs that HP idled.  Firstly, they may get de-indexed from Google, but every single one of them remained in Yahoo and Bing.  Secondly, the hubs that did get idled here were mostly product hubs and over the past several months those product hubs have been producing great sales from Amazon.  Thirdly, my reaction to the idled hubs was to unpublish them, wait until Yahoo/Bing de-indexed them, then move them to my personal blogs.  I have done that with about 50 hubs so far and guess what?  Every single one of them are indexed and ranking in Google and the only thing that has change on them is the URL (pointing to my new domains) and possibly a little tweak in the titles.  I have not touched one word in the body of the content... added Amazon widgets as they were here, and they are getting traffic and earning sales.

So, go ahead, believe the HP hype if you want but you will only be hurting yourself in the long run.  I have some hubs too that were not product hubs.. they were designed strictly for Adsense, and these too are performing so much better now that they are not confined by some ridiculous idling scheme.  One more question too... I thought that by going to the subdomains, our content was to stand or fall on its own.  If that is so, why does HP keep interfering with that scenario?

3. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

You can choose an Idle Hub (seasonal or not) to be one of the Hubs that shows in your carousel at the top of your profile. Those can be selected on an individual basis and can be changed seasonally or on any other kind of rotation. They will be featured at the top of your profile page, even though they don't show up in the overall collection of your Hubs.

1. jellygator profile image89
      jellygatorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, everyone!

It's good to know that just one could be featured and individually selected. I thought it was an all-or-nothing, and the truth is ... most of those idled hubs I have really aren't worth showing! But the two seasonal topics ones I think can be, and I wouldn't want to lose them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)