Please Help Save One of the Last Remaining Parts of Unspoiled Scotland

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 11 years ago

When I received the e-mail today telling me about this, I thought it was a sick joke. Sadly, I have now established that it's not - it's very real.

Loch Etive is a sea loch on the West Coast of Scotland, one of the very few which remains as it has been since time immemorial. I know it very well and fish it regularly - it is truly beautiful. The insane plans included in the page linked to below will not only destroy sport for boat fishermen like me, it will destroy a huge part of the loch's eco-system, its wildlife and its scenery. Can you please spare a couple of minutes to look at this and register your protest before December 27th? Yes, you do unfortunately have to give your name and address but it is a British Government site and is as secure as I suppose any website can be.

Simply reading the short summary on the page should give you all the info you need as to why we all of us should be objecting.

Help Save Loch Etive

Thanks very much for at least reading and fingers crossed that we can make the all important difference...

2. Isabel Melville profile image83
    Isabel Melvilleposted 11 years ago

Gordon, sorry but I can't agree with you here.

I live in Argyll & Bute, and these fish farms have brought a huge amount of jobs to the local economy, and helped boost local industries.

Beauty is all very well, but it doesn't put food in your belly, nor stop the young folk from moving away from the area as soon as they are old enough, to search for employment.

The environmental arguments against fish farms do not stand up in reality. There are precious few otters anyway, and the seals will survive though this too - there is no shortage of them.

We need the jobs. Simple as.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Izzy

Thanks for your comment and I can understand your sentiments. I promise - I really can!

Unfortunately, they are short term realities. Farmed fish are substandard, frequently not native to the continent - never mind the loch - and regularly escape to interbreed with the natural fish of the seas and rivers. They are force fed "chemical muck", which is then introduced in to the systems of the fish in the natural eco-system.

While I agree with you that fish farms serve their purpose, that is purely as a result of the over-fishing and inappropriate fishing practices introduced and authorised by the despicable European Union.

Severely limiting their existence, with a view to their total extermination - combined with a wake up call for fishing practices! - is the only hope that natural fish in our waters have to not only thrive but to survive... sad

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Signed, sealed delivered and tweeted. I can see both sides of the argument here, but I also think that fish farms are unsustainable therefore, so  is employment resulting from that of fish farms- also, I hate the cruelty to fish farmed in this way. I do however, think g'ments should be lobbied and investment sought for people of the region in order to create jobs there. That would have my signature too.

2. profile image52
      Colin247posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Isabel

I lived in Argyll and Bute for over seven years and unfortunately do not get back now as much as I would like. When I do, the unspoilt beauty of Loch Etive is one of the places I visit the most.

In my experience the young people who wanted to live and work in Argyll always found jobs if they wanted them. Those who moved on to further education often returned and found gainful employment outwith fish farming.

I don't think this fish farm is necessary and it will not attract a huge amount of jobs as a lot of the work will be automated.

Fish farming is no better than intensively rearing chickens as the fish cannot swim freely and develop normally. They are force fed and not particularly pleasant to eat.

It's not as if the communities of Argyll are starving and in dire need of sustenance.

Your comment  'There are precious few otters anyway' would suggest a total disregard for the protected wildlife in our countryside which I find strange from someone who sounds very protective of their environment. Just because there are very few of them left doesn't mean that we should ignore the remainder and just allow them to become extinct!

If it was going to affect dolphins or whales would you have the same lack of concern?

This will be a huge detriment to the area and should not go ahead.

Colin.

1. Isabel Melville profile image83
        Isabel Melvilleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I must confess to not having a liking for fish so wouldn't know the difference, taste-wise.

Surely it is better to raise fish in a farm than to overfish them from the sea?

There has been fish farms on Loch Fyne for at least 20 years, and they are still going strong, so how come you think it is short-term employment?

My comment about the otters was a bit blasé, I admit and I apologise for sounding uncaring.

Truth is, I have never seen an otter.

If they are that rare, how can a fish farm or anything else harm them?

Employment in my town is now almost 100% service industry jobs.

All the factories and distilleries (bar one) have closed down, the fishing fleet has been decimated from dozens of trawlers to less than 10.

The population is ageing. New comers into the area are retirees from south of the border. The young people who actually come back from getting educated go into the service jobs like teaching, nursing. policing etc, but no-one is bringing work into the town.

I stand by what I said. We need the jobs, few though they are. I have never heard anything bad about the fish farms of the area, and there are a few dotted all over the place.

Maybe it is cruel? Easily solved - just don't eat fish then demand would be pushed down.

3. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

Fish farms, like GMO foods, are jumping the gun. There is much risk involved with each of them as there are still many unknowns. That either of them should be looked at as advantageous because they provide jobs or supposed agricultural benefits is the kind of short-term thinking that puts commercial and residential developments in place in rural areas without consideration for traffic patterns, water runoffs, and even adequate retail food supply (food deserts).

Bottom line...stop overpopulating and overconsuming and pay attention to long-term repercussions of short-term economic decisions.

What ever happened to the 10-year plan, the 50-year plan, the 100-year plan? Is no one thinking ahead?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)