The nonviolent left

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (32 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 11 years ago

Those nice union folks in Michigan are once again peacefully protesting for their rights to steal power.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … _F3oev06i0

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They are notoriously sore losers.
      And the worst part is that they have it wrong.
      The right-to-work idea is not trying to destroy the unions.  It's simply giving people the right to choose whether or not to pay union dues etc.
      Unions aren't bad at the original basis, and neither are a lot of their members.  But I think all the political propoganda has stirred them up for the wrong reasons;  they've been seduced into thinking the average worker is their enemy,  when in fact they are not.   I blame the union leadership at the highest level, wherever that is;  because what once was a great humane idea seems to have become simply a power play, a control game, engineered not to help the worker but to gain political power.   Unions still do have some good points, too, as in they're able to weed out some illegal workers etc., and others who don't have the proper work history or training for the high-skilled positions.  And they do protect (sometimes) the rights of many steady long-term reliable workers.   But again, it seems to me the place they're failing at is realizing that ALL legitimate workers should have the right to safe, reasonably-paid working conditions even WITHOUT having to depend on any union to provide it for them!  And without having to PAY them to stand up for them!

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Brenda I completely agree. They used to do good thing a hundred years ago.

2. GNelson profile image60
      GNelsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What I don't understand is how we take another step toward becoming a third world country and you criticize those who are fighting for you.

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
        Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Its easy to criticize thugs who sucker punch people and bring tents down on women and children! Its also easy to kick the shit out the same bunch of bitches when they do it! Bring that fight to me.

1. GNelson profile image60

You can't see the forest through the trees.  The fight you are referring to has nothing to do with the movement.  Unions help all working people get a fair share.  Look at the facts.

No they don't, they help themselves to dues of the dupes they have working in unions. Please, bring that fight to me!

You need to look at the facts before you argue you would fight much better.  Right-to-work states average lower pay, less health insurance coverage for starters.  Your CEO has a contract with their employer, why shouldn't you?  Unions have done a lot of good over the last 100 years.  When the IBEW started in 1891, 50% of the linemen died from on the job accidents in a given year.  That was acceptable to the company but not the workers.  Unions give workers a voice.  Without that voice the triangle shirtwaist fire would be a regular occurance.  Child labor would be popular because kids work cheap.  weekends would be a thing of the past.  12-14 hiour workdays would be the norm.  Unions are not perfect but they beat the second choice by a mile.

No they don't, federal regulations protect the workers now, unions as you will find out soon are of no use anymore. The thugs will get whats coming to them. By the way, I am the employer and my contract with my customer has nothing to do with my employees! They agreed on a wage and that is what they will earn until such time as I determine they are worth more. They are free to leave at anytime and join a union if they see fit, they are free to go to work for anyone at anytime.

2. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No they don't help all working people get a fair share.  Unions depend on lower paid non-union workers to maintain their standard of living.

Unions succeed in raising wages, which raises prices.  If everyone had the same luxury it would do no good to have higher wages as it won't buy any more.  Instead union members are still able to buy products and services produced by lower paid labor.  As soon as that labor cost rises, union wages must take another leap up to maintain.

It's a never ending cycle of inflationary pay raises benefiting only union workers, not all workers.  Should unions base their wage increases on increased productivity it would relieve the inflation pressure, but they don't; they base it on staying well ahead of what lower paying laborers are earning.  Instead, most union contracts require less production for more money - they aren't earning any of that nice raise.

2. profile image0

Those people have nothing to do with fighting for other people's rights, they are fighting for their own self serving desires. Which is fine if it's done peacefully, not like a bunch of animals.
        Not only did they destroy the tent, and cause injuries to the people inside, they also destroyed a man's hot dog stand while calling him an Uncle Tom, and a Ni**er for allegedly supporting Romney.

Yeah, it's really easy to criticize a group of losers like this.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … s08KEvMwE8

You need to read a little history.  Without the labor movement your children would start working in factories and coal mines at seven years old.  Look at the fire in the Packistan clothing factory and compare it to the triangle shirtwaist fire in New York City in the early 1900's.  We do not need to go back to that!

1. tsadjatko profile image65
            tsadjatkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You need to get real - this is the 21st century not the dawning of the industrial age...there are laws now and the function of unions has changed - today they are only about power and money - money they use to buy elections and politicians and they desire to force you to pay for it if you work - that's not in any definition of freedom. Besides, there is nothing in any right to work law in any state that prevents a union from organizing, or negotiating wage and benefit increases so how does  right to work threaten to turn back the clock on labor laws? - that notion is just lame. If unions disapperared tomorrow no one would be working at seven years old, it's against the law.

2. profile image0

GNelson, It's like I've said before, unions used to serve a purpose but now they do not. Just look at what they have done to Detroit. Over 50 years of liberal policies and the city is being run into the ground. The teachers unions get high wages sure, but the drop out rate is phenomenal and the test scores are at an all time low. A person is more likely to end up in jail than to graduate high school there.
            The same goes for the auto workers union. The average worker gets around 74 dollars an hour in wages and benefits along with millions of dollars a year being dolled out for pensions, and the companies can not sustain it. They are constantly needing to be bailed out by the government, so our tax dollars end up paying for them.

2. WillStarr profile image81
    WillStarrposted 11 years ago

There is no one more intolerant that the 'tolerant' left. What they tolerate is their own ideals and beliefs. But that's it.

1. profile image0

That's a truism. I always find it hilarious when they talk about right wing violence when history tells a much different story.

1. bBerean profile image60
        bBereanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

At least there is consistency.  What they say vs what they do regarding sexism and racism come to mind.

3. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 11 years ago

I am a member of the radical right wing.   I am defiant and violent & live like a back woodsman.  I will go after anyone who trespasses on my property or sick my hound dog on them.  I have a thick accent and you libs better not make fun of it.   You can bet I'm always packin'.  Don't mess with me or I'll put some whoop-A on you.

My grandson knows how to throw a dry cow patty and leap from a haystack.  At age 3 he could press his hand against my horse's chest and say "Back Up!" in his baby radical voice and the horse would respond.

Did I mention being an activist?  I Don't believe everything the government tells you and believe Big Pharma is out to get you.

I cling to my Bible (biggest King James you ever saw!) , my gun and my anger at the left.  All democrats and liberals are mentally ill with bad Kool Aid.  I am part of a cult who actually believes there is a God.   I also believe in traditional relationships and medical marijuana.  So now that you've heard from the violent 'Right',  I guess you'll get me banned from the forums.

Yeeeeee-hawwwwwww!!   Oh yeah, so crazy I'm even college educated.
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/fordonotfear/th_newone014.jpg

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi donotfear.
      Rock on with that giant KJV, sister!  smile

1. donotfear profile image83
        donotfearposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Somehow, I knew you'd like this one, Brenda!

1. Barefootfae profile image59
          Barefootfaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey,me too! You must be from the Promised Land!

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

....i luv the pic donotfear!...you go girl!  big_smile

1. donotfear profile image83
        donotfearposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!!  I see some appreciate my sarcasm/truth serum.

4. tsadjatko profile image65
    tsadjatkoposted 11 years ago

What gets me is Obama had to chime in and as usual feed the fire with lies. President Obama blasted Michigan Republicans on Monday for seeking "so-called right-to-work laws," saying they represent anti-union politics. "What they're talking about is giving you the right to make less money," Obama told union members at an engine plant near Detroit.He claims that with right to work laws workers will make less money than ifthey were to be compelled to join unions..
    There is nothing in any right to work law in any state that prevents a union from organizing, or negotiating wage and benefit increases. For Obama to imply otherwise is outrageous. Compulsory unionism is an affront to democracy and creates a business climate that is unhelpful in drawing new business and jobs to the state.
    Not only are his statements outrageous they are a bold faced LIE (surprised? - I'm not- all Obama does is lie). And the real truth is according to the West Michigan Policy Forum, of the 10 states with the highest rate of personal income growth, eight have right-to-work laws.  In addition, the 2010 Cato Journal found that there is a 23 percent higher rate of per capita income growth in right-to-work states over non-right-to-work states.   

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeffrey-me … z2EnYdx92S

Funny how the Democrats are on the wrong side of our rights, right to life and right to work...what's next, right to freedom?

1. innersmiff profile image65
      innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The moral argument should stop everyone in their tracks: imagine the outrage if individuals were forced to join a religion, gang or corporation. Even if joining a union was the most fabulous thing ever, it would still be wrong to enforce membership.

1. tsadjatko profile image65
        tsadjatkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The thing is, and this goes directly at President Obama and the Democrats, they don't care a bit for workers' ability to earn more or they'd be for right to work - all they are really concerned about is losing the money and power the unions give them. What a role model this president is, America is being run by the mob!

2. profile image0

You are absolutely right. It is plane old coercion and it's a civil rights violation.

5. Repairguy47 profile image59
    Repairguy47posted 11 years ago

I don't see a need for Unions any longer, unless liberals want to finally admit big government has failed them.

1. profile image0

It is interesting to see what they have done to Detroit. The place is a dilapidated liberal utopia. the teachers unions get them the high salaries despite the fact that they have one of the highest drop out rates in the nation, and the average auto worker bleeds their companies an average 74 dollars an hour in salaries and benefits and we wonder why the government is constantly giving them bailouts. All those tax dollars basically went to inflated union worker pensions and salaries.

I stopped at a bar the other day and there was a loud mouth sitting at the bar talking about the "legendary Barrack Obama". He of course was a union member and had not endeared himself to the usual clientele of the club. He kept telling us that obama had saved our economy and when obama had taken office the unemployment rate was at 10%, when I told him that he was wrong and that the actual number was 7.8% he of course called me a liar. Somebody took the time to look it up on their phone and advised him I was correct and he was wrong. This just didn't sit well with the little round fellow and he became belligerent, to make a long story short he got the crap kicked out of him by one of the less tolerant patrons and the last we saw of him he was climbing his drunk ass into a company vehicle and sort of driving away.

1. profile image0

Repairguy, your first mistake was to speak intelligently in a bar, which is often times the casual meeting grounds for people who wish to to escape reality.

6. WillStarr profile image81
    WillStarrposted 11 years ago

"We do not need to go back to that!"

Times have changed, so no, we won't go back to that. Businesses don't want unions strong-arming them, so they are very careful these days to treat employees fairly. However, there are a few skilled trade unions and their superb apprentice programs that I would support. But the problem unions are the low skilled thug unions, like SEIU, UAW, The Teamsters, and the Laborers.

And of course, all the government worker unions need to go because there is no one on the other side of the bargaining table looking out for their employers...the poor taxpayers!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)