What needs to be done about random acts of violence???

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. moneyfairy profile image60
    moneyfairyposted 11 years ago

Do we need to have immediate gun control? Does there need to be more background checks before fire arms are sold to someone? What needs to happen to stop all this meaningless violence to innocent people??? I mean sh*t ...malls? movie theaters ? innocent children???
    What needs to be done for these mentally disturbed killers? How did nobody notice anything sooner about these killers personality behaviors? If warnings were there why wasn't anything done???

2. moneyfairy profile image60

All these senseless irrationally insane acts of violence.....sooooo very tragic sad and unessisary???Why???

3. HoneyBB profile image93
    HoneyBBposted 11 years ago

I think gun control will lessen the number of people murdered in the streets but I don't believe it will stop people from killing others in situations like this. The people who do these things will find other means to kill. What needs to be done is a complete overhaul of how we treat people in general and teaching people to be kind and showing them how we are the same. My hub How to Put an End to Bullying basically explains what I mean.  We have to become a more compassionate and accepting nation when it comes to people who are not the stereotypical perfect or close to it people.

moneyfairyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you HoneyBB. I'll have to check out your hub. I am just so very sad after yesterday....I mean all random shootings are horrible but young innocent children...just sooo very sad. sad

4. moneyfairy profile image60

Why does this keep happening? How does nobody notice? Why are they sold firearms with no questions asked?

5. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 11 years ago

The Suspect was 20year old. (would be a teen, a year ago)

Personally, I think the problem stems from upbringing. If kids are brought up well, it will reflect in their behaviour in adulthood. However, the parents in America and UK are not at liberty to discipline their kids the way they would like to. The minute a child starts to display very bad behaviour, parents need to come down on them hard - I mean tough love - so, that nasty behaviour doesn't take root and grow in them. Otherwise, it gets to the point where a teen is now hitting the mother. (It usually starts with pushing).

These days, kids report their Parents to the Police. The result? The child is either taken into care or parent taken to jail.  Single parents, particularly single mothers don't stand a chance. They want their kids to be a success in life, but can't discipline them as they would want to. Their hands are tied.

When Teenagers in UK went on a riot about 2 years ago, burning and looting shops - We were so shocked but on reflection many said it was due to poor upbringing.

So, (a) let people raise their kids the way they want. (b) Worth introducing Anger Management Classes into Colleges.

That's my opinion - many will not agree with it, but it will make a difference.
    Discipline them while they are young and they won't go off the rails.

Thank you Lady E I think what you are saying has much truth to it. thanks!!! It's all so very sad.

2. HoneyBB profile image93
      HoneyBBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lady E, I think you're right about a lot of kids needing to be disciplined by their parents and I think that this may help end crime on the streets such as gang activity or theft, etc. However, I don't think most of the kids who normally commit these acts of mass murder are in need of discipline. Most of these killers are good students who never get in any trouble. They are outcast and they need to be shown extra love from a young age and people need to befriend them while their young so that negative feelings against society don't build up inside of them.

Yes this is true. Thanks HoneyBB.

6. LindaQ79 profile image60
    LindaQ79posted 11 years ago

We need to love those mentally ill people. Especially the young ones. We need better mental health care in this country. We need a better system and we need to stop the stigma behind someone with a mental illness it is no different than someone having cancer. It is a deadly disease and needs to be treated. This boy should have been getting help. His mother should not have had guns in the house and if he had some kind of help this could all have been prevented. His parents are partly to blame. His mother felt the need to have guns in the house. Why? Statistics show that most of the time a gun ends in an accidental death by a child getting it and shooting themselves or someone else by accident. Why even have that weapon in the house? That is not a valid way of self defense. We have home security systems, and many other ways to protect ourselves we don't need a gun!

I will never own a gun and no matter how threatened I might feel, I would not want to shot anyone to death anyway. If I needed to protect myself I would use other weapons in the house, a vase, baseball bat, or my fist or feet. It would also give me much more satisfaction than using a gun. I have God on my side I fear nothing.

LindaQ: I totally agree with you. But I think the Mom was afraid for her life and that's why she had the guns in her home. But you are correct in saying that if they weren't there , they would all still be alive. Just so very sad and tragic. A world without guns and violence truly would be a good thing!!! But the NRA will fight it to the death....craziness.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)