It's all about BO

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (56 posts)
  1. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 11 years ago

The press is all over themselves reporting on the president going to CT.  Once again obama is making things all about him instead of the real people suffering real pain.
    The hurt and sorrow has to be unimaginable for those that lost loved ones on Friday and we should give them space to mourn and be there as they come to need support in the coming days.  We should not make it political and try to advance political agendas at this tragic moment in time.  It should be all about the families.  It should always be all about the families.

1. tsadjatko profile image67
      tsadjatkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry, very soon it won't be about Obama. He'll make it all about gun control - you watch. That is the plan. I must say though, what was the mother of Lanza doing with all those guns especially when she has a son who was unstable? Just what every parent wants to hear...that their child's elementary school teacher was loaded for bear when out of the classroom. If I knew she had those kind of weapons and that many at home I'd have been very apprehensive about sending my child to that school let alone in her class.

Oh guess what - the media reported it wrong - Lanza's mother was not a teacher. Just look at what the media got wrong in the early stages of the Newtown shooting The number of dead was initially reported as anywhere from the high teens to nearly 30. The final count was established Friday afternoon: 20 children and six adults, as well as Lanza’s mother and the shooter himself.
            For hours on Friday, the shooter was identified as Ryan Lanza, with his age alternatively reported as 24 or 20. The confusion seemed explainable when a person who had spoken with Ryan Lanza said that 20-year-old Adam Lanza, the shooter who had then killed himself, could have been carrying identification belonging to his 24-year-old sibling.This case of mistaken identity was painfully reminiscent of the Atlanta Olympics bombing case in 1996, when authorities fingered an innocent man, and the news media ran with it, destroying his life. Such damage was averted in Ryan Lanza’s case largely by his public protestations on social media, repeatedly declaring “It wasn’t me.”
            Initial reports differed as to whether Lanza’s mother, Nancy, was shot at the school, where she was said to be a teacher, or at the home she shared with Adam Lanza. By Friday afternoon, it was determined that she had been shot at their home. Then doubts arose about whether Nancy Lanza had any link to Sandy Hook Elementary. At least one parent said she was a substitute teacher, but by early Saturday, an official said investigators had been unable to establish any connection with the school. That seemed to make the massacre even more confusing. Early on, the attack was said to have taken place in her own classroom and was interpreted by more than one on-air analyst as possibly a way for Adam Lanza to strike back at children with whom he felt rivalry for his mother’s affection.
            At first, authorities said Lanza had used two pistols (a Glock and a Sig Sauer) in the attack and left a .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle in the trunk of a vehicle. But by Saturday afternoon, the latest information was that all the victims had been shot with the rifle at close range.
            There were numerous versions of what Lanza was wearing, including camouflage attire and black paramilitary garb.

2. getitrite profile image70
        getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In the wake of this horrific tragedy, are you suggesting that the president ignore his responsibilities and pretend as if there wasn't a gun control problem in this country????  Perplexing!

This is completely ABSURD!  Do you have any real compassion for the victims of this horrific tragedy, or just HATRED for the president?  In the wake of this unimaginable tragedy, it is callous and offensive to use this moment to posit your nonsensical opinion about the president.  Some people can see right through your hateful agenda.

Are you talking about Obama? He is the one doing what you describe.We are just tired of Obama picking and choosing when to mourn which looks like anytime it gives him a political advantage. Like what consolation have the families of the Benghazi 4 gotten --you should talk to them before defending your "Messiah".

1. getitrite profile image70

First of all Obama is not my Messiah.   I'm just tired of all these untrue accusations, made purely from conjecture, based in your hatred.  What is your real agenda?  Is it a hatred of democrats, Obama, African Americans?  Or all of the above?  So be it, but you certainly have nothing else to validate your silly opinions.

BTW, I'm sure you couldn't care less about the families of the victims of the Benghazi attack, but choose to use it to give yourself the advantage of looking morally superior.  What rubbish!

Boy you are twisted - the only hateful thing stated in this thread, besides your statements, was by Credence2 "Damn the rightwinger" yet you chose to ignore that and criticsize those who point out the truth by name calling - you are pathetic. You don't have any clue as to who I am or how I feel yet you feel justified in saying "I'm sure you couldn't care less about the families of the victims of the Benghazi attack" when it is your Messiah who is the one who displays by his actions that HE couldn't care less about the families of the victims of the Benghazi attack. If anyone on this thread has demonstrated hatred it is you. The President won't even tell their families, nor Brien Terry's family how and why they died and you think Obama should be praised for that? Don't tell me he is not your Messiah.

1. getitrite profile image70

I disagree, but that really doesn't matter, because it seems that some people's emotions are still raw from losing the election, and are convinced that their way of life is doomed...not knowing that there is something more to life than being a sheeple.

Again, please don't lie about me.  I don't have a Messiah...only sheep need messiahs  I believe in myself.  I am my own Messiah.  I am not a democrat or liberal.  I vote for whomever I feel is the better choice, according to my values...ranging from conservatives to democrats to independents.  I feel it is you who has assumed erroneous things about me.  But I feel your pain.  It must be miserable.

Funny, geit r-i-t-e is so appropriate for you - you can't even spell the message right that you try to convey, to get it right, Ironic, you get it all wrong..

1. Credence2 profile image78
                  Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You guys are always about beating people up. Go for the fist when you run out of ideas, and with the rightwinger that is frequent. I hope that continued defeat is something that you folks enjoy......

1. profile image55
                    whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is no reason to have many ideas when we know what works.

2. tsadjatko profile image67

Only one I see beating up people, cursing, name calling, and trying to change the focus from the facts to personal attacks using bully tactics are people like you C2. Understandable however when one like you is losing the argument.

It appears that you have taken the childish approach to deal with the rational opposition.  Are you just not adept at argument?   Why resort to silly, childish, bullying tactics?  Is it that you have been totally debunked, and have no other recourse?   Unless you can come up with a DIGNIFIED AND ADULT response, you should not respond at all.  You have lost every once of credibility.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess I didn't watch the same address as you.  Him being there will help bring the aid and lead to the actions these families need. And also help other families who lost children to gun violence.

1. profile image55

What are the actions these families need?

2. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 11 years ago

In response to the author- More short sighted right wing crap, huh? After the Challenger disaster did not President Reagan go to comfort the families? You people turn my stomach. Damn the rightwinger, we need to continue to vote you out, rule you out and count you out, with attitudes like these..... What happened Nov 6th is just a taste of what is in store....

I love those changing demographics...

Oh so you were a supporter of Reagan? Good to hear - I wonder when President Obama plans on going on national TV to express his condolences to the families of the 4 Americans killed in Benghazi and explain why that happened (not a lie about a video cause) - see this is what is outrageous about Obama - double standards everywhere based on what is politically expedient. Right wing has nothing to do with objective observance of the facts which you are incapable of..

2. American View profile image59
      American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cred,

Long time, hope all is well wit you and he family.

You are overreaching as many Liberals are. Go re-read the exit polls and while Obama did win solidly in the electoral vote, less than 500,000 votes applied to swing states give the election to Romney.

I think you may miss the point of the author. Yes, all Presidents do come forward for a national incident to give words of healing. But what we find is that all Presidents in the past did so without fan fare or agenda. Bush met almost every transport coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan, not one picture or press conference. In 4 years Obama only wet there twice, both times with cameras for photo ops, last time with podium and teleprompters Last week there were 3 transports, one for the navy seal killed during the rescue of the kidnapped doctor. Where was Obama?   

I think the author is just tired of Obama picking and choosing when to mourn which looks like anytime it gives him a political advantage.

Excellent points, but then what do facts have to do with it? As credence2 spouted in his/her(?) hate filled rant, rightwinger be damned! Not surprising to hear those words coming from a retired federal employee, whose salary we the taxpayers have and still are paying.
        As predicted BO didn't waste any time turning his public mourning of the victims into a political ploy for gun control.
        To use C's analogy to Reagan that would be like Reagan using his national address on the Challenger disaster from the Oval Office of the White House (considered one of the greatest speeches of the 20th century) to say we should ban NASA from further launches to avoid another tragedy. Well at least that would work if he did propose it but tell me what gun control measure would have stopped Adam Lanza? He had two pistols and an assault rifle. Banning all guns? Hasn't worked anywhere they've tried it.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Funny, I heard the speech and did not hear one word about gun control. I have yet to hear the president say anything about gun control.

Ask the families if they appreciated the president being there,he seemed welcomed to me.

Well I heard on the radio that he did advocate for gun control but it appears he did so without mentoning gun control. His supporters insist that he "obviously" meant gun control - What he said was "We can't tolerate this anymore. These tragedies must end. To end them we must change. No single law, no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society. That can't be an excuse for inaction. In the coming weeks I'll use whatever power this office holds to engage my fellow citizens, from law enforcement to mental health professionals to parents and educators, in an effort aimed at preventing more tragedies like this."

That's it? He said absolutely nothing. He will talk to people and try to prevent more tragedies? This is Obama trying to be all things to all people, which is why it means nothing. His supporters will insist that he "obviously" meant gun control, but pro-gun Democrats will also insist that he never used those words. The man who made the phrase "leading from behind" should invent a new phrase: "tough inaction."
            If he pursues gun control, he can tell everyone he clearly alluded to it in his speech. If he doesn't, he can claim that he never advocated for it. (just like he claimed to have called Benghazi a terrorist act while blaming the video for weeks). His supporters will call him "clever" and "nuanced," but critics will see this as being "too cute by half," or duplicitous. Those who wanted flowery words (which at a funeral is fine) should be satisfied with his oratory, but those wanting specifics did not get them. He is a master of getting people to think that because they agree with him that he agrees with them.
            Reaganesque? Not in your life, try slimey-esque.
            Read more: http://communities.washingtontimes.com/ … z2FKodabCR

1. tammybarnette profile image61
              tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I find it very interesting how hate can skew an individuals interpretation of the facts. In every sound byte I have seen as well as his speech, Obama was clearly distraught and in no way politicizing any agenda! The actual tragedy lends to the political agenda "gun control." As with everything, this is yet another divide in the US, but this heinous act of violence; possible because of guns; illuminates that "something" must be done...Which is the exact words of President Obama

1. profile image55

I would say this couldn't have happened without the real reason, a crazy person.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
                  Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And that is why something must be done, the President did touch on mental health in his speech yesterday.

1. profile image55

I'm sure he and his party will be touching gun control a lot more than mental health.

2. tsadjatko profile image67

Tammy I find it very interesting that you see no political agenda to his actions when he still hasn't revealed to the families of those killed in Benghazi and Brian Terry from Fast and Furious why and how their sons had to be murderered while serving the president. I explained in detail with his own quotes exactly what Obama said and exactly how it is political so if you don't see it you are choosing to be blind. No one said he wasn't distraught, I believe he was but it's his using the tragedy to further a political agenda which he clearly did. Just as stonewalling the families of those killed in his service is totally political and the opposite display of what we saw Sunday. Did you ever listen to what these families have said? I guess they can just be dismissed as rightwing nuts? In light of his record on these other things it's hard to believe he is anything but a nacisitic political animal.
                Something must be done? Really? Howmany partial birth abortions (MURDER) are performed every year (he voted for it). Where is his "something must be done" about the40,000children killedyearly inautomobileaccidents? Something must be done? What about the slaughter of innocents and childrten in Syria? He can't stop a nut with a gun in an elemetary school but he could have stopped that.
                God bless Barack Obama, because he can look sad in front of a camera.

1. tammybarnette profile image61
                  tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

His exact words in no way prove agenda, I am not blind, I am just not reading into his words things that are not there. Benghazi is a completely different animal, loaded with covert missions and clear political agendas in foriegn affairs. This heinous act of violence on our own soil lends to a cultural problem in our own society which needs a clear focus on answers, and compromises about guns. I have actually always been a supporter of our right to bare arms, but assult weapons?...Those are not neccessary for any citizen and should be limited to police or military use...But these issues creep even deeper...Television programming, Movies, Video Games, etc. We have created a violent culture or have at least willingly let that become our culture. In the past 20 and 30 yrs this country's culture has drastically changed...We need to face the reality that the world has changed and the laws must reflect the culture.

You make some good points, but tell me why after Obama's speech all the TV news has been heralding that he has launched a pursuit of gun control measures. I guess they are all "reading into his words things that are not there"? Get real. We've had a decade ban on assault weapons in the 90's and if you look at the studies it had no appreciable influence on gun violence or on the lethality of individual attacks. And everytime conceal and carry has been allowed the crime rate has gone down. But there are three ways to approach this, the shooter, the weapon and the environment. You have touched on the two besides the weapon and  they may be a better focus than the weapon.

2. Credence2 profile image78
        Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

AV,Greetings and happy holidays to you and your family. You know me, gotta stir up the pot!

AV, you are not telling me that Romney won the popular vote, are you? Looling at previous presidential contests, this victory by Obama has been more decisive than most.

Why do the otherside always assume that Obama has an agenda, yet GW Bush and Ronald Reagan were pure in motive during people tragedies during their administrations, how do we substantiate that? I do not see the connection.

I am not convinced that the current president is unconcerned about American casualties at home or abroad. Where do you get this information about Bush and Obama? I just see Obama being picked on for any and all aspects of his personality and administration, and it does not sit well with me.

1. American View profile image59
          American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Buddy

You know I would lose respect for you if you did not stir up the pot every now and then.

No, I am not saying Romney won the popular vote and we both know no one can win the Presidency that way. I am saying that less than 500,000 votes in a few swing states would have changed the college electorate into Romney camp and he would have been elected and done so losing the popular vote.

Do I think Obama has an agenda, absolutely, so did GW, Reagan, Clinton and every President before them. The question is does the agenda do good or is it a failure? I can point to every President and find successes and failures. But this President, all I see are failures except in one area, likeability.

Where do I get my information, right from the horses mouths. Sometimes things can be found easy, sometimes it takes time to find. The library of Congress is an outstanding source as well as others. Like say Clinton, here is a link for information on what he did everyday as President

http://clinton6.nara.gov

Sites like these as well as http://www.whitehouse.gov/schedule/president are very informative.(man I am giving away my trade secrets LOL smile ). If one is willing to look, you can find where Presidents were on certain days and at certain times. That is how I know that Bush went to Andrews to meet returning transports and Obama does not. Using the example I gave you earlier, the transport carrying the navy seal who died in the rescue operation landed at Andrews at 12:47pm est. You can check the Presidents schedule for that day and see where he was.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/schedule/president/2012-12-11

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)