Seeking flu answers

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (36 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I had a flu shot. I starting feeling ill on Sunday, and yesterday I was coughing and throwing up, with a temp of 102. My normal is 97. I still have a little fever and cough, but the worst part is the muscle pain. I'm not talking about an ache - I mean a sharp stabbing pain in my neck, shoulders, back, lower back, upper arms, thighs, and abdomen. The pain is so bad that it's had me in tears a couple of times. I have to take a combo of aspirin, muscle relaxers, and hydrocodone/tramadol, along with wearing my TENS unit, to get any relief at all. Have any of you had similar pain from the flu?

1. moonlake profile image80
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We were so sick a few weeks ago. I hate going to the doctor but I had to. They had to give me breathing treatments, I've never had to have that before. My whole body hurt and I did have a fever but not as high as yours. I ended up going back because it ran into a sinus infection. Same thing with my husband. He had the flu shot I did not. I'm still not completely well. I lost my taste for some drinks and food. My throat does not feel right. It feels like all food gets stuck right there. I've had the flu before but this was the worst I have ever felt.
      Hope you feel better soon so sorry your sick.

2. ttagpine profile image72
      ttagpineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you have any allergies? You may be having an allergic reaction. I would suggest going back to your Dr. Or E/R. If that's not an option, you might try replacing the aspirin with Benadryl.

3. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear you're so unwell Habee sad

Your symptoms sound just like the ones I had when I had swine flu (H1N1). I didn't have the throwing up, but from memory I think that is one of the symptoms some people have with it. Wishing you a fast recovery!

2. NMLady profile image76
    NMLadyposted 11 years ago

Everyone tells me that the flu shot cannot cause flue symptoms.  Oh yes they do!! Everyt ime I take the shot I get sick for a week.  I don't take the shot and I may not get the flu that year.  SO, I quit taking the stupid shot.
    Take care of yourself habee.......  sorry you are feeling ill.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, NMlady. I had the shot a while back, so I can't blame this illness on the vaccine.

1. profile image0
        Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry you are ill and in Pain, I rarely get the flu and have never had a flu shot, But when I did have it was more like aching muscles, than outright pain.

I would go to the doctor because heart problems in women can also have flu like symptoms.

From WEBMD

The symptoms of influenza (flu) appear suddenly and often include:

Fever of 100°F (37.8°C) to 104°F (40°C), which can reach 106°F (41°C) when symptoms first develop.
        Fever is usually continuous, but it may come and go. Fever may be lower in older adults than in children and younger adults. When fever is high, other symptoms usually are more severe.

Body aches and muscle pain (often severe), commonly in the back, arms, or legs.
        Headache.

Pain when you move your eyes.

Fatigue, a general feeling of sickness (malaise), and loss of appetite.
        A dry cough, runny nose, and dry or sore throat. You may not notice these during the first few days of the illness when other symptoms are more severe. As your fever goes away, these symptoms may become more evident.

Influenza usually does not cause symptoms in the stomach or intestines, such as vomiting and diarrhea.

Recommended Related to Cold & Flu

Sick of Being Sick?

14 research-proven ways to eat, drink, and even party to boost your immunity this season Winter bugs don't just make you feel miserable. Sick days create havoc at home and work. And those days can become weeks if a cold morphs into something more serious — a sinus or ear infection, or bronchitis. Flu can lead to pneumonia or worse, sometimes sending you to the hospital. And while antibiotics fight many of these secondary infections, there's no cure for the viruses...

Read the Sick of Being Sick? article > >

Other conditions have symptoms similar to the flu, such as the common cold, bacterial infections, and infectious mononucleosis.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Flu shots only cover the viruses they expect to go around that year. I have gotten sick right after the shot, but didn't this year. I've never gotten anything as severe as you have. I'm sorry to hear that you are ill.

3. profile image0
        HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hope you're on the mend, Habee.

I only got a flu shot two years and each year I contracted a strong flu bug. Probably just coincidence, but I've not gotten a shot since and no flu since.

3. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 11 years ago

Flu shots contain mercury.  I will never take another one again.  Plus, they only contain protection for a certain strain of flu, so how does someone know what strain they will get?  I believe the whole flu shot thing is over-rated and just another way for Big Pharma to make another dollar.  I'm sorry, I know this is not what folks want to hear, but I learned a lot about Big Pharma after I had Lyme disease and it's horrifying.

4. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 11 years ago

Habee, I've know quite many who've gotten very ill from the shots but thankfully recovered. Hope you feel better soon. Some sites suggest the virus and additives( like the high mercury content) in the shots can cause all kinds of problems- sometimes.

5. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

Sorry to hear that you are ill habee, I had the flu jab, and in my case yes I did catch it from the actual jab, I was ill for two months. Pains all over my body, bronchitis, high temperature and the worse thing was that I just got over it after a month and then two days later went back down with it again! Its going around big time, and yes its pretty painful too, so your symptoms are very familiar to me. take care, and I hope you are feeling better soon.

6. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Poor Habee.....I hurt just reading what you're going through.  However, you describe the symptoms of this year's "bug" quite the same as others I have heard from.  It's a nasty one.   Obviously, because it's viral, only the symptoms can be dealt with, but you really can make yourself more comfortable until this beast finds it's way out of your system.
    Sounds like you have meds for the pain.....and being careful not to take too many....but definitely "time" them and take them every so many hours,(as directed) to KEEP them in your system, so as not to suffer needlessly in between doses......And as old as the tried and true methods are, they still work best.....LOTS of fluids....plain water  or add a little lemon...herbal teas.  Sip, sip, sip to stay hydrated.....eat only if you have an appetite, but then, just bland, dry foods.....toast, bananas, jello, NO dairy products....If you're head is stuffy....keep steam nearby.   The meds should keep your temp down, so if you feel the least bit chilled...stay warm.  If you like, soak in warm water with mineral salts...
    Rest rest rest,,,pamper yourself ...guilt-free!   Hope you're feeling better soon!!  Dr. Effer

7. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

I stopped getting flu shot since they made me so sick.. I am taking a chance not getting the shot...

8. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 11 years ago

Take Dr. Effer's advice. LOL. I've always been told that the flu shot doesn't cause the flu, but who knows as I've heard too many stories. I have a good immune system, have hardly been sick my whole life (thank God), so I hated taking the mandatory flu shot at my last job. This is the first year in 11 years i haven't had to take that darn thing. :-) Anyway, this isn't about me--LOL. Sorry you feel so bad. Listen to Dr. Effer. :-)

9. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image82
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Tamiflu - it's truly a miracle drug.  You usually have to take it right after the symptoms start, but I'd ask the dr anyway. I took it a few days into the symptoms a few years ago & felt better within hours.

10. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

You can get the flu shot without mercury upon request.
    http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/headline_h … 78626.html

The flu shot can cause side effects, but actually getting the flu is not one of them. 

If you get the flu within two weeks of getting the shot that is because you just got the flu. It is flu season after all and the shot is not effective until two weeks after you get it
    http://www.miami.edu/sa/index.php/stude … lu_season/

The flu shot protects you from the common strains from the previous flu season.  If you are exposed to a less common strain you can still get the flu.

1. Alastar Packer profile image71
      Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Those are some helpful info links. Wonder why the mercury is in it in the first place then?

1. fpherj48 profile image60
        fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

GREAT question, Alastar!!  and one I was going to ask...Thanks for doing it for us!.....Sometimes, I don't GET the Medical Professionals!

Hi Effer! Mercury is the gift that keeps on giving and if they can make the vaccs without them why have them in the shots to start with? hah ha don't get the medical pros either and learned a long time ago we better stand up for ourselves do our own doctoring research if you know what i mean. That hubber, sunshine625, with the top-rated article on her husband's battle with Prostate cancer is an excellent example of why.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
            psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Because it stops fungus from growing in the vaccination solution. IMHO the mercury level in thiomersal are safe and I get the shot that includes.  But if you don't believe that, use the other version.

Stops other things too, like brain cell continuation. What you say is probably a fact and the cell destruction is definitely a fact. Why do you think mercury was used as a VD cure before antibiotics - because it was toxic enough to somewhat do the job despite the horrible side-effects. Haven't had or plan to have a flu shot. Haven't contracted the flu either but know many who have and became ill. To each their own but all should know the facts.

I do know the facts.  And all substances have dose dependent effects. The dose in the vaccination is exceedingly low. But people who wish to avoid it, can--so it's all good.

2. leahlefler profile image95
          leahleflerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I used to work in biotech and thimerosal used to be a common preservative (this is the "mercury" in some vaccinations). It has been removed from nearly every vaccination - the exception is the multiple dose flu vaccine. If you see them inserting a syringe into a bottle to draw up the vaccine, it is likely a multiple-dose version and will have thimerosal. The single-dose versions do not have it.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

Thimerosal has been removed in all single-dose vaccines, but is still in any multi-dose vial (the preservative prevents bacterial contamination in vials that are opened and used for more than one dose). The multi-dose vaccines are cheaper, and were widely in use before thimerosal was removed from vaccines. Single dose vaccinations are used in the USA now.

As an interesting side note, the WHO and AAP want to keep thimerosal in vaccines so that third world countries have access to immunizations (the cost factor prevents poor countries from using single-dose vaccinations). http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12 … -urge?lite

We used to put thimerosal in our in-vitro diagnostic products (not for use in humans), but discontinued the practice since we had access to other preservatives. These preservatives were not any "better" for the human body than thimerosal, but didn't have the mercury. We switched to Proclin. It was pretty nasty, too (the MSDS, or material safety and data sheet, is here): http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/etc/mediali … 0_msds.pdf

3. psycheskinner profile image84

Google can easily answer that question.

OK, a quick look at G has many sites with lots of sources claiming the mercury amounts in the vaccines are way over the recommended daily safety levels. If that's changed then very good but apparently not so for the downtrodden in poorer countries as leahlefler points out in their excellent post.

11. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Thanks, guys. Whatever I have, it wasn't caused by the flu shot. I got that a couple of months ago. Hubby is now coming down with what I have/had. Yesterday, I couldn't even keep down water. I could eat a little today. This pain, though, is really getting to me! I've had babies with nothing for pain relief, and I think this might be worse. I have foramenal stenosis, and I wonder if the increased inflammation from the viral infection is playing havoc with my already crowded nerve endings.

Ugh. I really DO NOT want to go see my doctor. I already go too often as it is. lol

Dr. Effer, I'm drinking lots of water. I think I'll go soak in a hot bath tonight. I'm sure I'm driving the old man crazy. One minute I'm burning up, and the next, I'm shhhhhivering. I go up and down with the thermostat - or, rather, it goes up and down with my symptoms.

12. profile image0
    DigbyAdamsposted 11 years ago

The flu shot protects against two "A" strains of flu and one "B" strain of flu. Usually there is at least one other "B" floating around. So it's possible to get the flu, even though you get a flu shot. This year the flu shot match in an 80 percent match to what the CDC sees is circulating. So it will protect against a lot.

A new flu shot was just approved by the FDA that will protect against 4 strains of flu - 2 "A" and 2 "B".

Have you been vaccinated against pneumonia? That provides additional protection from the more deadly side effects of the flu?

13. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Owie, Habee!
    If you doctor/hospital system has a nurse advice line, I'd give them a call and see what they can suggest on the severe pain symptoms. That sounds nasty!

Whatever your tummy can tolerate, eat/drink in small servings. Bland (rice, Saltines, chicken broth).
    I have a hard time stomaching bananas on a good day. But they're great for replenishing potassium.
    If you're still nauseated, Sprite or ginger ale are both good.

Oh yes. And plenty of ZZZZZZZZZZZs!
    Feel better!

14. Louise Lately profile image60
    Louise Latelyposted 11 years ago

That's horrible, I hope you feel better soon! I have been hit by really bad colds twice this winter - one after the other. I experienced fever, aches, streaming eyes (and nose) and headache - the list goes on. Would love it if there was a miracle cure out there somewhere although drinking lots of fluids and eating fruit daily seems to help slightly.

15. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 11 years ago

Sorry to hear that you are sick, it does sound like flu and it will really take it out of you.  The people who make the flu vaccines have to predict which flu will be the most prevalent in any given year and produce enough inoculations for everyone who needs them.  So although your immunised against that particular strain, it doesn't mean you have protection from all flu.  The pain is one of the tale-tell symptoms of flu, along with the high fever.  You need to be aware that secondary infections are common and keep in touch with your medical practioner for advice about your symptoms and what would be a reasonable time to have them.  Do your doctors have telephone appointments?  That's one good way of ensuring that your not neglecting your health but not putting other people at risk.  Plenty of fluids and rest and hope you are soon on the mend.  Mentally sending you good vibes for a bug free Christmas. smile

16. mbwalz profile image84
    mbwalzposted 11 years ago

Awe, sorry you're so sick! I've heard the flu this year is pretty bad.

We don't get flu shots - ever. Our holistic doctors warn that it wears down your body's natural ability to fight things off. Unless you are severely ill and have a suppressed immune system, they don't believe they are a good thing for our overall national health.

The other thing I've found that works, if you can keep anything down, is to take 8000 iu of vit. D3 per day for about 5 days. Also, be sure that you are keeping up with your D. Getting tested in the fall so your practitioner can get your serum levels up before flu season if they need to rocks.

At this point, you're body is in total crisis and you should rest and be sure to keep the liquids, and some salt going. If you can't, then seek professional help with your doctor or ER.

Feel better soon!!!

17. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 11 years ago

psyches your an intelligent person and I didn't say you didn't know the facts. We both want whats best for ourselves and others, right. My feeling is the majority of folks - who exercise, eat healthy etc have immune systems that will generally shrug the flu bugs. What other additives are in the vaccines, do you know off-hand?

Indeed, they are recommended most for children, the elderly and immune compromised.  But general coverage is more for 'herd health' than individual health. It means there are fewer people the vulnerable can catch it from, and the virus mutates less quickly and so is generally less deadly.

Vaccines are full of all kinds of chemicals to keep them in solution, shelf stable and uncontaminated.  I balance that (keeping in mind the miniscule annual dose)  against the risk or and potential effects of the disease at individual and population levels.

18. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 11 years ago

If you had any idea what the flu vaccine contains, you would probably not be surprised that you got sick, and maybe would never allow a doctor/nurse to inject these substances into your body ever again, maybe . .
    Plus there is mounting evidence that flu vaccines do not work . .

Sample contents . . 
    * aluminum hydroxide
    * aluminum phosphate
    * ammonium sulfate
    * amphotericin B
    * animal tissues: pig blood, horse blood, rabbit brain,
    * dog kidney, monkey kidney,
    * chick embryo, chicken egg, duck egg
    * calf (bovine) serum
    * betapropiolactone
    * fetal bovine serum
    * formaldehyde
    * formalin
    * gelatin
    * glycerol
    * human diploid cells (originating from human aborted fetal tissue)
    * hydrolized gelatin
    * mercury thimerosol (thimerosal, Merthiolate(r))
    * monosodium glutamate (MSG)
    * neomycin
    * neomycin sulfate
    * phenol red indicator
    * phenoxyethanol (antifreeze)
    * potassium diphosphate
    * potassium monophosphate
    * polymyxin B
    * polysorbate 20
    * polysorbate 80
    * porcine (pig) pancreatic hydrolysate of casein
    * residual MRC5 proteins
    * sorbitol
    * tri(n)butylphosphate,
    * VERO cells, a continuous line of monkey kidney cells, and
    * washed sheep red blood

Yummy, yummy!

We have already established that she got the shot months ago.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)