Do you have more British music, American music, or Other on your iPod?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Headfullofsoundposted 11 years ago

You may be surprised to know how many of your favorite artists are British.  For some reason the Brits can imitate an american vocal perfectly but the opposite will never be true.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mine are mostly British too. It's been that way since the 60s for me smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think so. Definitely I have more Brit music on my ipod.

3. littleguides profile image58
      littleguidesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. I was surprised to see that many of my collections are british. They are all great singers. Also check out there are some good australian singers in my collection.

4. Horatio Plot profile image73
      Horatio Plotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to disagree with you Headfullofsound, but I don't get what you're saying about vocal imitation.

To me, being a Brit, they just sound like Brits singing with British accents.

Which are the Brits on your iPod that are imitating Americans?

John Lennon perhaps? Or Paul McCartney?
      George Harrison? Jagger? Elton John? Bowie? Van Morrison? Tom Jones?Robert Plant? Eric Clapton? Roger Daltrey? Roger Waters? Dave Gilmour? Rod Stewart? Phil Collins? Cat Stevens? Robert Palmer? Roy Harper? Jeff Lynne? Steve Winwood? Freddie Mercury? Ozzy? Ian Gillan? Elvis Costello? Sting? Mick Hucknell? Boy George? Annie Lennox? Simon Le Bon? George Michael? Neil Tennant? Mark Knoffler? Thom Yorke? Dido? Amy Winehouse? Adele?

All British artists, with British accents, singing in their native tongue.

And that's without thinking too hard.

To you it may sound American but to me I can hear the Liverpudlian in John Lennon's voice, the Welsh in Tom Jones' and the South London twang in Bowie's accent as clearly as I can hear the Georgia woods in Otis Redding's or the cotton fields of Arkansas in Johnny Cash's.

Glad you've got lots of British music on the iPod though.

Take Care

Hotatio

5. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The exceptions are the guys from Spinal Tap LOL Spot-on accents.

I prefer US music, the home of Rock n' Roll

2. TheMagician profile image88
    TheMagicianposted 11 years ago

I dunno... I know that many Brit's can imitate an American accent just fine, but it works both ways, really. What catches people up are the regional accents smile

With that said, most of my musicians are from the States. Then again, I listen to certain genres of music that are dominated by musicians in the States, so it makes sense.

3. ladypatience profile image60
    ladypatienceposted 11 years ago

I have more American music on my MP3 player, but I'm on Youtube majority of the day and I listen to Korean music.

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I don't think it's so much the accent or lack of accent, it's the whole package.
    Brits make great music.
    just to name a few -

Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    Stones
    Pink Floyd
    Deep Purple
    Amy Winehouse
    The Who
    Elvis Costello
    Radiohead  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqgvRFSW … 01FEAC706A - a favorite
    Fleetwood Mac
    Stevie Nicks
    Oasis
    Blur
    Mumford and Sons
    Queen
    Elton John
    Van Morrison
    Kate Bush
    the Smiths
    Jesse J
    Duran Duran
    zombies
    Adele

on and on
    too many to list

5. carter06 profile image69
    carter06posted 11 years ago

What can you say the Brit's are pretty awesome...I guess if I include Adele, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, Beatles, Van Morrison & Mumford & Sons...I sure have a few Brits that I listen to...cheers

6. TheHeavyReview profile image70
    TheHeavyReviewposted 11 years ago

Mostly British?  No, definitely not.  However, many of my absolute favorites are British (Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Carcass).  There are definitely more American bands that I listen to, though.  I also have a lot of bands from other countries in Europe (Sweden, Germany, Finland, Norway, etc.)- I probably listen to more bands from any of those individual countries than British bands.

Something I've noticed (before even reading this question) is that Britain seems to have high quality bands, but not always a large quantity of high quality bands.  Of course, I pretty much only listen to rock and metal so it could be completely different for other genres.

7. spartucusjones profile image90
    spartucusjonesposted 11 years ago

It is hard for me to give a definitive answer because I am fairly diverse with what I listen to. But I just checked my top 50 artists on iTunes (according to last fm) and here is the breakdown of artists from different countries:

1: US - 18
    2: Canada - 14
    3: England - 9
    4: Ireland - 2
    5: Scotland - 2
    6: Australia - 2
    7: Jamaica - 2
    8: Iceland - 1

8. misstoughcookie97 profile image61
    misstoughcookie97posted 11 years ago

I have the most versatile list ever.

It literally goes from New kids on the Block to Croatian music to Lady Gaga to JLo to more croat music to songs from Eurovision to Celine DIon.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)