"Embarrassing Mistakes Hubbers Make" Newsletter

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (37 posts)
  1. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Regarding the latest newsletter about incorrectly crediting images, is it suggested that we take down all images that are not copyrighted or cites "google images" or "microsoft images." Should we, who are guilty, expect a violation email soon? Or worse, get idled?

1. profile image0
      Miriam Weissmannposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I thought the best thing to do was to just put a photo of myself on my hubs which can work like a logo. I suppose you could think of it as something like "self-marketing", if you know what I mean. My face can work as a sort of symbol of my work if that makes sense. I'm not a professional photographer, so what else am I supposed to do? Photos I take using my phone always look so tacky and I haven't got a camera, and I don't want legal problems if I use stuff I've found on the web even if it is supposed to be royalty free. I've heard some nasty stories about that in the past.

jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Miriam. That is an idea but seems that it would soon becoming boring, like Oprah on the cover of all her magazines : -/ I do understand your dilemma about not being a photographer. I am luckcy in that I now use my own photos and do have photography training. But I am concerned about the work ahead of us with making these corrections.

2. 2uesday profile image66
        2uesdayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You could check out a site like this one

http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/

I have not used it for HubPages or for my blogs as  mostly I use my own photos.
        Although there are places that offer images for commercial use for free; it would still be wise to read the small print and to check that the images you select to use really do come into the OK for re-use here category.

2. somethgblue profile image73
      somethgblueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wrote Hub Pages a letter voicing the very same concerns a couple of days ago after realizing I'm guilty of violating their rules. They haven't responded yet but I'm now going through all 132 Hubs to correct the problem.

I suspect they will give us time to update them however what a great opportunity to edit all of my Hubs and update the material. I'm tying to look at this in a positive light and see it as a opportunity to do so much needed editing.

Will they start flagging our hubs probable at some point but I'm sure they will give us the time needed to get the job done.

Good question, I guess Google Image just don't cut it but interesting enough many of the artwork and graphics I have done for my Hubs is now showing up on Google Images so perhaps I need to credit my photos and art as well!

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Google Image is just the part of Google search that focuses purely on images. It does not store the images nor has any rights over them.

If you take an image you found through Google Images, that is the same as copying a web site you found on the standard Google Search!

However, if you go into the search options on Google Image, you will find a filter that will let you narrow the search to images permitted for commercial use. I have heard, though, that this is not always accurate, so it would still be best to follow the link to where the image is being hosted in order to ascertain whether it really is free to use or not.

Thanks for the clarfication and advice, WriteAngled.

2. AMFredenburg profile image73
          AMFredenburgposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is good to know! I've got just one Hub and am working on the second, and I'm finding the task of getting good, available photos the most demanding part of the whole process.

1. profile image0

One of my son's friends put some so-called royalty free photos up on his web site and got fined about  £3000.00 by the owners. It's better to leave photos alone all together if you ask me unless they're yours.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
              mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is okay if you quote the CC commons license number that is provided with authorised images, along with any other attributions etc the owner of the picture asks for (Flickr makes the process very easy). It is also not necessary to pay any fines if you are sent them by the 'owner' of a photo, as they have to send you a 'cease and desist' notice first to give you a chance to remove the images without any penalty. It is only if you refuse to remove them that they can take you to court. 'Getty' are guilty of ignoring this aspect of the law and frequently 'try it on' by trying to send people massive invoices claiming they will take the person who used their images to court if they aren't paid, but this is not legal if you read the small print in the copyright law, as they have not sent a 'cease and desist' notice first.

1. profile image0

But why take the risk of having your name dirtied? I mean, let's face it, even if you don't have to pay the fine, your good name's still soiled afterwards. Why not just use a nice photo of yourself, and if that's you on your avatar you've got a nice face, and let that be your trademark web wide? That's what I'm doing now. It connects your face to a certain standard that you've set and that's what you want to be putting on all your hubs. Everyone to their own, but that's what I think.

I do use my own profile image, and all the images I use within hubs these days are legal images (although in the early days I used to simply use Google images because I didn't know any better). Certainly I would not condone using illegal images knowingly, all I was saying is that it is not legal for a company that finds you have  used an image of theirs to send you an invoice unless they first give you the opportunity to remove the image by sending you a 'cease and desist' notice. I don't believe this would 'dirty' your name though, as there are many tens of  thousands of people with photos on the net, so how on earth would your name get dirtied 'Internet Wide' as a result? I can't think of anyone I have heard of who is 'known' for using illegal images, therefore it seems clear that it doesn't work that way. I still use my profile picture as my 'trademark' but in many hubs you also really need photos relevant to the topic of the hub within the hub itself. It also isn't always possible to take them yourself, e.g. if you are writing about elephants but don't live anywhere near any, or Great White Sharks and you live thousands of miles from where you could photograph them. In these instances 'Creative Commons' images are the way to go.

1. profile image0

You could be right, but everyone to their own. I mean, if you know what could happen, you don't go asking for it, do you? My son's friend went before the local magistrates and lost the case. He won't have anything to do with the internet these days and who could blame him? And if you've had something like that happen in front of your eyes, you don't go doing the copy cat thing, do you? No, if you ask me, the best thing to do is steer clear of any photos you don't own. It's different on my Avon blog because I'm selling the stuff and I've got Avon's written permission to use the photos. Besides, I'm their top seller in the region, so they'd be silly to start playing games with me. Anyway, I'd warn anyone to be very wary.

2. janshares profile image93

Your right somethgblue, we will get time but that newsletter was definitely our first warning. Thanks for your input.

3. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jan, this is my suggestion. Take two hubs each day and do new searches using Creative Commons. Through Creative commons you will find photos which you can use for commercial purposes, modify and share. Note the license on the photo whether it's CC-BY-2.0 or CC-BY-3.0, You must attribute the owner of the photo and the website you found the photo. Here is an example of an attribution: Carolee Samuda CC-BY-2.0-SA via cardisa.hubpages.com.

If you have found photos on Google images the copyrights may be reserved and you run the risk of violations, especially if the owner reports you. There is a photo search they can use to find if anyone has used their photos without their permission.

Another thing to do is contact the website and ask permission to use the photo and you must state that in the source. I have a hub with all FBI photos. I contacted them asked them and they told me to use whatever I wanted.

Hi Cardisa. I guess I have some work to do, eh? I only have 29 hubs and the last 3 or 4 are my own photos. I also recall, however, that hp wants us to copyright our own for others to use legally. Whew! Too much. Thank you for the help. Would the easiest way to get started be to right click on one of the images to see what info pops up? Sounds like you're saying remove them and start from scratch.

1. Cardisa profile image87
          Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I suggest you start over. I am not sure what will happen if you right click but if you can find the original site then you can find the Creative Commons license and take it from there.

Ok thanks, will do.

4. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Where is the newsletter on the images I have not seen it and can't seem to find it.

1. snakeslane profile image81
        snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

moonlake, The newsletter was in my email. You can also find it under search. Hope that helps.

1. moonlake profile image81
          moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. Happy Holidays.

5. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you may have misunderstood the newsletter. No one should ever site "google images" or "microsoft images" anywhere, because it's not legal to use photos from those sources.   You can use those services to find images, but then you have to go to the website where the image appears, check that the owner allows you to use the photo (if he does, there will be a license or statement telling you so - if there's nothing, it's illegal to use it).

I'm not sure HubPages would unpublish for using illegal images because it would be too big a job for them to check. I think they're just trying to do the right thing by photographers.  After all, how do you feel when someone steals one of your articles?  If we, as writers, expect our copyright to be respected, then why don't we give the same consideration to photographers? They're creative artists too.

The rule to remember is, ALL photos on the internet are copyright (and therefore illegal to copy) unless stated otherwise.

Thank you, Marisa. I really needed that straightforward explanation. As a newbie to online writing, I really didn't get the copyright thing with images as it relates to "permission." Text, yes, but images, no. It's becoming clearer to me now that you have to have a legal mindset with every decision you make with online writing regarding your rights and the rights of others. The whole thing makes my head spin and requires fulltime attention that I don't have. (Sigh)

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not really, they're essentially the same.  Just remember that everything (text or images) is copyright unless there is something on the page to say otherwise. 

You want to use images that say "Public Domain" or "Some Rights Reserved" or "Licensed under Creative Commons".   And even then, you have to include a link to the photographer's website or the image itself.  If an image doesn't have any of those annotations, you'll need to email the webmaster and ask for permission.

Thank you, will do. Thanks for being supportive, will try to cut the drama, put my big girl panties on, and just do it. I just need to prioritize my time . . . and  breathe.

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

Commercial Use and Royalty Free mean diddly squat. To ensure your working with copyright effectively make sure the Creative Commons attributes or copyright licensing agreements are being followed for photographs that display their rights of use.

In other words, unless you can use photos given as permissible (as free for use or free to use as you please, copyright holders usually will provide license use in their terms) for the copyright owner of the photo.

More info at http://creativecommons.org/ & at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

Thank you kindly, Kangaroo. Sounds like you're suggesting the same. I will check out that site.

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

This site is a great source of free images with CC licenses and the numbers you need to quote when citing your sources. I use it all the time:

http://search.creativecommons.org/

Thanks a bunch, misty.

You are very welcome. The nice thing about that site is the fact you can choose exactly where to search for the free images, i.e. Flickr, Google etc. It is a kind of 'one stop shop' for free pictures.

4. rajan jolly profile image93
    rajan jollyposted 11 years ago

I find Creative commons, flickr and freedigitalphotos.net the best for finding free photos for use of  course with proper attribution.

5. writingcoach profile image61
    writingcoachposted 11 years ago

I'm putting suspenders on my big girl panties! I know what you mean. Or it feels like I do. Either way Hi Jan!

Hi writingcoach! Glad you understand my sentiments smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)