when hub fans have too much hubivivity going on.

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 16 years ago

Hey yo!  Sometimes when there is a really good hub conversation going on it cloggs up my hubivity report.  For example, if one or two people are commenting back and forth I can't find anything else but thier comments. 

How can I clear this up so that I can see what others are publishing and commenting on?

2. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

if you are talking about in the forums it is easy, go to your hubtivity options and uncheck the forums box, that way you will only see your fans activity when they publish a new hub.....jimmy

3. Greg from Maine profile image60
    Greg from Maineposted 16 years ago

Thanks, Jimmy, I wasn't aware of that. And thanks, Sandra for asking.

4. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

In addition to adjusting your preferences, you can also click on Hubs, Comments, Forum Posts, Requests, Fans, or Admin Actions in the box on the Hubtivity page to narrow the list to just that type of item.

1. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image78
      LdsNana-AskMormonposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Paul...

It took me a while to figure that out...  but I did so, all by myself!  And yet it seems like it should be HP 101!  Why Not?

Or at least in the HP for Dummies edition soon to be released, right:-)

So, please... just tell me where a newbie like myself and others, may go and learn the most basics of HP.... versus FAQ's, which are simply not sufficient right now....

It just 'might' keep some of us... out of future troubles in our wandering to figure things out around here... lol

Kathryn

5. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

LDSNana, I know the question was directed at Paul, but I would suggest taking some time and just looking around.  Clicking every link, button, icon, or whatever and just spend some time touring.  There is some pretty cool stuff hiding in the nooks and crannies.

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

Kathryn,

When I started here, there wasn't even a forum yet.  And I managed to learn a LOT by....(drumroll).... just trying things!  I know it sounds too simple, but I clicked on everything I could in the tools, opened up every capsule to see what it did and just generally played around.

Many people on this site don't read much or try anything before deciding to go to the forums and ask.  Really, I've never "broken" the site or had a Hub do anything untoward from experimenting.  And I see as I preview this post that Peter has said a lot of the same stuff, so I know I'm not the only one who's found this method really works....LOL...

7. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 16 years ago

I think you two, Peter and relache, are natural kinesthetic learners. I'm this type too - I like to poke around and prod to see how things tick.

Others like Kathryn might be auditory or visual learners, but that will require setting up some sort of YouTube or page tutorials. We have some page tutorials (like for traffic and affiliates) but don't have those YouTube tutorials up yet. tongue

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
      Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You sound like my wife.  She's told me the exact same thing (not about relache though, I doubt they know each other).  She's a kindergarten teacher, and a visual learner. 

The YouTube tutorial is a great idea.  I suspect newcomers would take advantage of something like that.

8. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 16 years ago

Thanks for all your post,  I have just one more question.  If I edit my preferences so that I can't see all the comments, how will I be able to see the ones I want to see? 

I mean,  I do like to follow my hub friends around and read the things that they are reading as well as the stuff they right. 

Also,  since last night and all the hub acitivity that was going to just one place, my score dropped 13 pts.  no biggie I know, but my score drops every time there is a lot of activity,  so I wonder if that blocks traffic to my page as well, just the same as it blocks me (in a sense) from viewing others.

I know I could just check my e-mail, but that get's bombardo, too.

Sorry, not trying to be difficult here,  just trying to make it work so that I can see them and they can see me too.

1. profile image0
      Iðunnposted 16 years agoin reply to this

you have to figure most hubbers don't bother to read or comment on anyone else's hubs first off.  I think I saw there are ?30,000? registered hubbers, something like that?  the number of comments, views, forum participation and such shows that only the tiniest percent of those bother to talk to anyone. 

I'm one of them, when I'm around Hubs which admittedly is something I only do in phases with my time.

A lot of people comment to me and rather steadily, but they do so because I chat back.  Basically, you get out of it what you put into it and then sometimes even not, if the other person can't be bothered and is self-centered.  Want people to view your Hubs and comment to you?  Visit them and comment to them.   A fair amount will return to do the same for you.

I don't know what they call that in the business world, but in the social world it's called good manners and developing a pleasant online acquaintanceship.  friends, more or less, if you will and if nothing else, people who grasp UMC courtesy and good manners.

As far as another person's Hub being popular and receiving comments slowing down traffic to your Hubs. Ideally Hubpages people should be the least of your traffic; it shouldn't have much of an effect.  Me, if I see the party going on over there and it looks fun and I like the Hubber, I'm in too.  I suspect that is why they visit me laterz at another time and party in my Hubs.  I don't view people being hot for some particular Hub or another as some kind of attack on me, because first of all it's not.  It's nothing to do with me.  Second, you can't control people.  They are going to go where they enjoy being, period.

Make your hubs enjoyable by entertaining those who do comment, and then maybe it will be your Hubs sometimes, but you aren't going to have that all the time anyway because people like diversity.

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 16 years agoin reply to this

my original question was how to remove it from my hubivity report so that I can see other peoples post and comments.  Cause I like to read your stuff and I follow it cause you crack me up, but then it takes eons to see what other people are up to too then I get frustrated cause I have to click next, next, next, next, next, you get my point. 
        I just want to simplify it so I am not spending more time navigating then reading.

1. profile image0

have to say, I always look forward to your hubs too.  you genuinely entertain me.  I think you are a creative genius and I like the hints of the way you approach life that I read in your writing.

the comments don't bother me on hubtivity.  that is like a heads up for me on what's funny or interesting.  I don't like reading the list of who fanned who, especially those who fan long lines of total strangers, but I haven't bothered to mark that out yet.  too lazy.  I just click past it.  :p

1. profile image0

I see you got some sock!cool

1. profile image0

lol yeah back to my socks.  at least no one thinkz it's my shoulder big_smile  hehehe

1. profile image0

youre too much some times. lmao.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)