Does it hurt my hub scores to have unpublished hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 11 years ago

Sometimes when I have ideas for hubs, I "start a hub" and sometimes finish it later or just let it sit there for a while. Maybe I should just write down my hub ideas instead. Does it hurt my hub scores or overall hubber score to have those unfinished hubs (often with just titles) sitting there?  Should I do something with those unsaved titles or get rid of them?? Thanks!

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're showing a hubber score of 100.  Everything over 75 is equal.  What difference could it make if those unpublished hubs lower it a half dozen points?

Likewise, any hub score over 40 is good - are you showing hubs with less than that?

Victoria Lynnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, I haven't had a score that low, wilderness. The only reason I asked is that i saw someone mention something recently about unpublished hubs saved in their account. Yeah, my scores are good, and Simone is quick to answer, so I'm happy about posting this question and getting a great response. :-)

2. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it, Victoria Lynn. Your unpublished Hubs should not make any significant difference. smile

Hey, thanks, Simone! You have answered a lot of questions on the forum recently. I really appreciate it. I only wondered because someone mentioned something recently. Thanks for putting this question to bed! Nite! :-)

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image79
        LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I beg to differ from some of the answers. An unpublished hub is still counted towards the total number of your hubs. Unpublished hubs typically carry a lower score than when they are published since their hub score usually increases as it gathers views. In reality it doesn't really matter so long as the hub scores or your hubber rating do not fall below a pre set score or number. Keep in mind also that the main factor, albeit not the only one, that determines a hub's score and your hubber's rating is the number of views/visitors within pre-determined time frames......................wink

1. Pearldiver profile image66
          Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks very much for that Luis.... smile

And after some of the other posts here - Phew... I was beginning to believe it all had something to do with things like parallel forums, entry to the executive washroom, nose color, or the number of times Simone popped up in an attempt to keep her hubscore 99% accurate!  Wow, these incredibly diverse international 'accents' really do make it hard for lowly scoring Dummies like me to understand the facts of life!!  roll  sad

Enjoy the festive season and the potential return of traffic to the slopes of Siberia!  smile

(See what I mean about dumb???  I was trying to Wink .... but someone's sense of humor got in the way!)

3. midget38 profile image85
    midget38posted 11 years ago

I agree, it makes no significant difference.

4. carol7777 profile image76
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

I was glad to have some answers to this question because I have several I am working on.  Good to know.

5. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

On the OTHER end of the scale....

I have a total of 20 unpublished hubs, many that I have started and simply not finished, lost (the writing) interest in, or for a 100 different reasons just haven't completed... most have content in them and probably should have been published...

They all have 'hub scores'  and those scores Do Effect my overall 'hubber score' negatively!  The reason... is because their scores are combined with the scores of current hubs.  The scores in my unpublished works range from 41 - 62  while published works range in high 70s and 80s - that means quite a lot when viewed from this perspective, as today my Hubber Score is only 90, when realistically it should be 10 points higher! 

It's all very well everyone telling you that your allotted scores don't really mean much.... But HONESTLY people tend to initially be, a lot shallower than that...
    and as site staff know... a person's allotted score, on the surface, in 90% of social circumstances dictates whether or not they are considered to be important or not! 

I guess, that's exactly Why the 'Helpful Accolade' is used on this site.... It Represents and States:  That a person's 'Voice' and 'Opinion' is or is not Considered to be 'Helpful' to newbies or of value to anyone!   roll   sad

What does it mean to you?  smile   

Such unqualified assessments of people, expressly created to divide and mislead 3rd parties, are an extremely biased and segregational manner of managing people.. factually, such practices are highly questionable from a human rights perspective!  sad   It's much the same as pointing one's finger at someone and laughing at them!  Mostly it actually discriminates and as it is a manual practice, the putting of such unqualified measures in place, as with their removal.... one must ask what 'real' intent is sought by doing so?  sad   

Edit:
    Hahaha.... that hubber score of mine.... just keeps getting lower and lower - 89 now!  And my 'Helpful' Accolade has been removed.... OMG... I'm socially unacceptable!!  sad  Thanks Alot  lol

1. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I didn't know that HP would remove Helpful Accolades. I guess I'd better check mine. I have one unpublished hub sitting for a final edit and waiting for the right photos. I usually let mine sit for at least three days because the score increases before I publish them.

6. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Hey Vee....Your friendly gf here....I was going to say that I wouldn't think that unpublished hubs would cause any harm...but I didn't know for sure.  What does this prove?  It proves, my dear friend, that even when I don't know something.....I still have to come and visit you and make my presence known!  That makes me the kind of person who offers to help someone learn how to swim, even though I don't swim.  Helpful little pal, aren't I?
    It makes me so HAPPY to see Simone's pretty head popping up in the forums lately.  When she gives an answer, we can be 99% certain it's accurate.  Gives us some much needed comfort, don't you think?
    Especially with people like me around...who have no clue about so much!!! LOL....

Hey, Effer, I love seeing you all over the place! You usually do know the answers without knowing that you do--haha. It IS good to see Simone set us straight, though. Then we don't have to wonder anymore. LOL. See you soon, Effer. I'm sure you'll be popping in somewhere!!

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I totally agree with those who posted here to say unpublished hub scores DO make  a difference to overall hubber score.

According to sweet Simone, they don't make a difference.

Been here long enough to see that they do.

Maybe if your percentage of unpublished hubs stay below a certain level, it might be ok.

I once had a 100 hubscore. When I say 'once', it was a pretty regular feature, even though I stored a lot of unpublished hubs.

Now I store a lot of previously published but idled, and subsequently unpublished hubs.

Not 20 or 30, think 100 or 200.

I don't know what I am supposed to do to sort matters.

You know what I am doing? I am getting on with life, because there is life outside of Hubpages.

So my hubs are no longer good enough, but they are still better than most of the newly published hubs I see.

Hub quality is relative.

Compared to eHow, nine should wins hands down, yet they don't, because this platform is not strong enough.
    Strength comes from links.

HP is trying to clean up the site by removing links. What they consider to be 'bad links' - 'bad hubs'.

If idle hubs is equal to bad links, then their formula is wrong.

There are good hubs that are idled, and bad hubs that should be unpublished, never mind idled.

I am now confused. I am a writer. I write web content. I chose to stay with HP because then I don't need to learn the difference between good content and bad content.

8. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Wow.... From the heart Izzy...

And you Can Not get better than that!! 

You have a really happy New Year Izzy... I will raise a glass to you... hang in there!  But I believe.... You deserve better! smile  Maybe, I should make it a bottle!  lol

9. jodigirl88 profile image82
    jodigirl88posted 10 years ago

Just wanted to say thank you for the info, as a New Hubber, I can use the info. I like reading your articles and have so much fun writing mine.

10. mcyoga profile image60
    mcyogaposted 9 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to open unpublished hubs of mine? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Go to the top of the page where it has your user name. When you hover over it, you will see a link to "my account".  Click on that. The page will show a listing of all your hubs, published and unpublished. Just click on the one you want to edit.

Here's a direct link to that page: http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/stats

11. Ilona1 profile image61
    Ilona1posted 9 years ago

Hubpages sure has a lot of nooks and crannies. I have learned more about it in the past week than all my efforts previously combined. Maybe I have just found discussions, like this, that explain it better.

Profile scores have been a huge mystery to me, although I find that activity seems to temporarily boost the score. I think I must be shallow because it does matter to me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)