One of my hubs was unpublished due to adult content.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)
  1. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

I would like to know what they consider adult content. I do not have a hub with adult content on it. For those of you who have read my hubs, did you notice anything to be considered adult oriented? As in claims of nudity? I had a couple cartoons on my camping hub, but that stuff can be seen on any of the Sunday fox cartoons. That's the only thing I can think of.

I think if hubpages is going to remove a hub, they should be more specific on what they want removed, so any hubber has a chance to remove it before they do so.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

Have you checked the videos for scenes that may be considered such?
    Also, I had one not too long ago with the same warning, but after I sent an email to staff they removed the warning since it was a "technical glitch"............. Hope this helps.

brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The hub in question does not have any videos in it. Just a few pictures from my local campground, and a cartoon, which I drew myself. There was a 2nd cartoon, but I removed it. In the cartoon one of the guys was mooning others in the cartoon. But, that's something you can see on any cartoon. Family Guy, South Park, American Dad, you name it. It's a totally harmless image. I can't figure out why it was flagged other than that.

I wonder if it could be because the subject of the hub is a gay subject. I can't think of any logical reason. Though Amazon was advertising an adult video magazine on my hub, which I removed. If that's the case, sue  Amazon, don't blame me for it. The adds on hubs seem to change without warning. Nothing I can do about that. One reason why I just removed it, so that won't happen again.

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually there is something you can do about it. 

Do not use the keyword feature in the Amazon capsule and specifically pick the products that are being listed by product ID.  That's been the recommended method for people using the Amazon feature for more than a year now.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I bet that was the reason.  Several Hubbers have been caught out by that recently.   The automated filter picks up the ad as if it's content.

The lesson is that you can't use Amazon using keywords any more, because you can't trust Amazon to give you sensible products.  You have to go for specific products using the ASIN - or drop them altogether, as you say.   There's really no point using an Amazon capsule unless you can feature a product you actually mention  in the Hub. 

The mooning cartoon could also be a problem - nudity is nudity even if it's a cartoon character, and it's very literal.   Some Hubs have been unpublished for photos of classical statues.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
          MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub about cornhole (the tailgate bean bag game)  I let amazon chose the products (I used to always do this) I signed out to view... I signed back in immediately and chose the products myself.

To be fair Adsense Ads can be just as bad sometimes...  I had mentioned having a child where pajamas under their clothes in one hub (A parenting a child with disabilities hub) to sign in and see oversized breasts barely covered by a red "nightgown"

I'm responding to you on this because I have a vague recollection of you being one of the people who told me how to block specific Google ads...  Or am I wrong there... it was a while back.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image73
        Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@brimancandy You are responsible for the products that show on your Hubs.  As Relache suggested, keywords are not an advisable way to feature products and the best practice is to select specific products and user their product codes.

3. profile image0
    Anonymous00posted 11 years ago

That's unfortunate. I think its a perfect example of excessive control over personal content. I can't see how a harmless cartoon could be a violation or an issue what so ever. I think this only furthers the benefits of self hosting vs portal websites/blogsites.

4. brimancandy profile image78

I just removed that amazon capsule all together. I have a dial up connection, and don't have the time to pick and choose products.  It is usually done automatic by Amazon. I have selected products at other hubs, and they still changed, and had nothing to do with the subject.

1. ptosis profile image67
      ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

OMG!

I have DSL

I live in a very small community in the middle of nowhere, and dial up internet is all that is currently available for us. The alternative is wireless, but you have to buy a special device to hook up to your computer, and then buy wireless by the gigabyte. Still looking into those. none look worth the effort, and are overly expensive for the service you get.

5. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

Relache is totally correct in what she is saying and I too have experienced what you have with Amazon a few years back when on a humorous hub about cats I used a search term of 'pussy' in an Amazon capsule. Without going in to too much detail you can imagine the shock I got some months later when the ads changed to something not remotely cat related (although I actually made a few sales out of the 'new' products they featured). First I knew was when the hub was unpublished for adult content, and then when I checked it out I was horrified to see just what my nice hub about cats was now selling lol. Best to choose the products yourself to be on the safe side.

Also worth mentioning that (unreasonable as it sounds) even 'fine art nudity', hand bras etc aren't allowed, therefore not much else has any chance at all.

The only nudity my hub had was a cartoon figure mooning people in a mardi gras like atmosphere, there was no other nudity on the hub at all. Sadly, I removed both cartoons, and the amazon ad, and we will see what happens.

If you are wondering the amazon ad I had did not feature nudity, it was an ad for an adult video directory, which I did not intend to put on my hub at all. I haven't made any money on amazon yet, so I might just drop them all together. That way I don't have to worry about their procedures.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am afraid even cartoon nudity would have counted, that is part of the craziness of the system. Also any adverts for adult topics will not be allowed, even though clearly it was not your intention to add them to your hub. The adverts I got for my 'pussy' search term in an Amazon ad did not show any nudity, but were selling 'a product' (I'll leave the rest to your imagination)' In your shoes I would not drop Amazon ads, I would just do as you have been advised and manually choose the adverts. It doesn't take long, and you can make good money from Amazon.

6. brimancandy profile image78

I have been here 3 years with 11 hubs, and have not made a dime off Amazon.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have been here over 4 years with nearly 300 hubs (used to be more but moved a load elsewhere) and I have made about £180 GBP (should mention not all of my hubs have Amazon Ads on them by a long way), but I only hit my first payout about a year and a half ago, then the second and third followed much quicker. I don't write product hubs either, I tend to write informational/evergreen hubs, which tend to make less on Amazon than product reviews etc do. Don't give up hope.

2. profile image0
      Anonymous00posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's best to be safe and make sure the root of the issue isn't stemming from the ads on your page. Otherwise all that is happening is inappropriate and useless censorship.

3. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You need a lot more Hubs and traffic if you want to earn from Amazon on this site.  Eleven Hubs isn't going to cut it for most people.  I've earned several thousand dollars from Amazon.

7. ocbill profile image53
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

it is an annoying rule. It happened to me where a link on my hub went to a cosmetic surgery site with skimpy before and after results. It did not offend me and was no different that what you or your kid would see on magazines at supermarket checkout counters, anytime of the day TV shows. 1 person out 3,000 + viewers in 3 years labeled it as as such and whammo!. So 1 adult person, who is ultra conservative, can bring it down. Imagine if it worked that way with local laws. We'd have less meter maids, no red light cameras, no cops hiding out on private property, for sure.  Since HP is meant  for teens or 18+ why in the world would something that is covered on your 5 o'clock news, same things you'd see at the beach be censored?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image73
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your statement "So 1 adult person, who is ultra conservative, can bring it down." is not accurate.

Hubs being flagged as adult does not necessarily mean that they will be moderated as such.  We have defined standards for what is adult, so if a Hub is flagged adult, by a user, but does not meet the HubPages' terms or service or Google AdSense terms of service definitions for adult, then the adult flag will be cleared by the reviewing moderator.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)