Forum Discussion, Give and Take

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

It is apparent that there are people who love to spar with others; however, when the shoe is on the other foot, they become quite discombobulated.   If one can dish it out to others then one should be able to take it in kind when the favor is amply returned.   Forum behavior is similar to a debate and only those who are mature, tough, and hardy survive.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True. People who can't remain civil while debating/discussing don't need to involve themselves in debates/discussions.

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Habee, one thing I can ALWAYS say about you is that YOU ARE A CONSUMATE LADY OF CLASS.   Even though you may disagree, you always let the other person has his/her say and never denigrate them and respect their opinion.   That is the definition of class and elan.   I give you an A++++.

1. habee profile image92

You made me blush!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So, would offering a tempered, loquatious examination of such a person's argument, and a well-considered rebuttal in polysyllabic terms, subjecting them to the need for a thesaurus to determine the nature of the being to which they were being compared, be considered to be lacking in civility?  lol

1. habee profile image92

lol

1. Pearldiver profile image67
            Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sheesh... Good on ya Hollie... Great minds!!  I thought that post was the best 18 inch gun I've ever seen fired in a Forum.... How did she miss????   lol

3. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure about that Habee... I'm all for being civil... I've even done it a few times wink There have also been times -twice to be exact- that I knew I was going to get banned and said something anyway. Sometimes though it's one person's way of telling another "You've gone too far".

There is a certain level at which people just need a good telling off.  I actually appreciate it when it's done to me... (generally in retrospect I admit) because I am a sarcastic witch (or something that rhymes with it anyway) and it's helpful to be reminded of that. 

There are conversations I've had on these boards that I KNOW I was out of line.  I have far less of those now (believe it or not) because I had the chance to re-read them and really soak it in.  Its rare to find that "rewind and pay attention" in real life.

I've learned that most of my arguments come with those that I feel are being arrogant or hypocritical.  I should probably have learned by now not to start arguments with those types because... well if they are reasonable enough to look at my viewpoint they wouldn't be arrogant and hypocritical in the first place.  On two very memorable occassions what I discovered is they weren't really either.  On other occassions the conversation reinforced my beliefs...

The point I'm meandering to (I'm on pain pills so forgive me) is that if I had never made an ass out of myself with those two people then I would have never looked back on it and I would have never found out those two people really weren't asshats ALL of the time.  One of those people was Earnest.  One of my bannings was telling another poster what I thought of their posts after his death...

Which brings me back to the -sometimes someone just needs a good cussing out- point.  I think I'll take that little circle as my hint to shut up.

Melissa, you are ALRIGHT!  I totally concur with you.   There are some people that do need a good dressing down.   There are some people who love to critique and attack others; however, they do not like when the situation reverses itself.     

Simply put, there are some people who have no business being in forums.    Participating in forums require a strong and sturdy character-those who are of a more sensitive disposition and who are easily offended should never be in forums.    Such people become discombobulated so to speak.   Melissa, you are far from arrogant believe me.     We need strong types in the forums.   The more sensitive types need to go elsewhere for their wittle feelings get hurt.

2. habee profile image92

You have a point. It's extremely rare for me to lose my temper, but when I do...watch out! I don't think I've ever done that in a "debate," though. I got thrown out of a convenience store a while back for telling off the owner. There was a starving dog at the store, and one of the employees told me the owner was going to kill it. I laid into the guy (verbally) and took the dog home with me. How hard would it have been for him to just call the animal shelter to pick the dog up?

Sometimes when we're really passionate about something, it's difficult to remain reasonable. If, for example, someone were to debate the positive aspects of animal, child, or elder abuse, it would be hard for me to remain civil. Most of the debates in these forums (not all), however, are about politics and religion, where there's no "completely right" or "completely wrong" side.

I avoid the religious forums.   I believe in living and let live.   Each person has his/her own religious perspective.   I really do not care as long as each respect and not infringe on each other's belief system.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But keep in mind there are some threads which simply have no place in a community forum.  Keep the 'tit for tat' private.  I think more so than not that a lot of forum users forget that many more people than forum regulars read forum posts.  Threads become personal agendas, and that's tiresome (IMO).

big_smile  Happy 2013, hubbers.

This is so true, RebekahELLE.    Happy New Year to you!

3. gmwilliams profile image85

This is a general observation of sorts.    Some of us thrive regarding disagreement on the forum pages while so many others become disheartened.    I have been on the forums for so long and have sparred and been the subject of sparring.   All of us on the forums spar with each other now and then.   It keeps the juices flowing.

Such sparring and argument are real life scenarios.  It actually makes us stronger.     As my late father stated, these are the facts, face up to them and do not be a baby, be mature about the matter at hand.    I have been called on and spoken to on issues (particularly on the family, abortion, and education issues forums) more times than I could count; however, it is all in the nature of good, wholesome social dynamics.       I am OUT, Happy New Year to all.   Keep the discussion going.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Oh Good Grace.... if you are back IN.... would you mind bringing the Horse over to the other thread? It seems the cart has been loaded for some time and the Asparagus 'Spears' will spoil unless a horse is able to be hitched up to tow the subjective horseplay OUT of the thread!  smile   Do you have spurs?  yikes

3. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

I read a post in the latest religious forums in which one poster is actually protelytizing another poster for being an atheist.   This is totally uncalled for.   I will never understand it at all.   People have a right to their beliefs as long as it is not infringing upon others.   When will some people realize this and stop trying to convert others to their religious or ideological beliefs.    Reminds of my maternal great aunts(they were Southern Baptists) who believed that those who have no religion are "sinners" therefore they are doomed unless they are saved.  Reminds me of a Steve Harvey stand up revue.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)