Do you believe in ghosts and the paranormal?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (97 posts)
  1. manofmystery24 profile image59
    manofmystery24posted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7528592_f248.jpg
    Believer or Skeptic, please write why.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe in aliens, any monsters or ghosts remaining on earth to "haunt" places. However I do believe in angels and demons. I believe in the afterlife and I believe that spiritual world is just as real and ever lasting.

1. RobertSmith92 profile image60
        RobertSmith92posted 11 years agoin reply to this

sorry, but you believe in angels and demons but NOT aliens?

Considering the scientific knowledge of the scope of the universe, you are inclined against the belief that there is life out there in space? I'm not saying they have ever visited Earth, but given the scale and such of the universe it's pretty definite that out there, somewhere, conditions have reached a point where life has evolved. It may not be as advanced as us, and it might well be more advanced than us; the point remains that there is definitely life out there.

If that's what you don't believe in, and yet believe in angels in demons, then I'd be intrigued as to why. I apologise if this comment sounds snarky, it isn't meant to be but it's late and i'm half awake.

1. profile image0

I actually enjoy snarky quite a bit. smile
          Ok, I will answer your question so you can put me in a box, so to speak. I believe in the spiritual realm. I believe in God and angels and Satan and demons. I believe every thing the Bible says as absolute truth. I believe in spirits, but the spirit of a man. I believe a spirit leaves a man's body when he dies and that spirit will stand before his creator. If God said there were zombies, aliens and vampires, I would believe it, however in Genesis, what God created was clearly documented and those entertaining monsters were not included.

The Bible is full of amazing stories, more fanciful than any talented author could come up with, including angels sleeping with women, giants and prostitutes turned virtuous. So these are the things I believe, with no doubt... because I believe in God's word with no doubt. Thanks for your interest. smile

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are disembodied entities and spirits who refuse to go on.  There are things in the world beyond the physical.    That is an undeniable fact of life.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are they detectable?  If so, how?  If not, how do you know they are there?

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ghosts and the paranormal? Mindless entertainment or fairy tales for adults who have yet to grow up, the choice is six of one and half dozen of the other.

4. profile image0
      Miriam Weissmannposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm open to most things, so I wouldn't dismiss anything.

5. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure whether I answered this forum already, but here is the truth.  These "ghosts" are familiar spirits.  They are really demons who float around and observe us, so they know all about us.  They appear to certain "psychic" people like Silvia Browne, inpersonating the dead and making us think we are communicating with deceased family members.  When one dies, one either goes directly to heaven or to hell.  You don't hang around here as a ghost.  This is Satan's way of deceiving us to draw us away from what the bible says.

You cannot spout something and proclaim it to be the 'truth'. It's merely your belief.

2. getitrite profile image73
        getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This explanation sounds like it came right from the Dark Ages.
        How absurd.

3. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am absolutely dumbfounded at the Salem stick pointing and incredibly misinformed statement that you have made.... roll  Unbelievable!! yikes  In this day and age, people are being 'tricked' into thinking that there's a spirit world?? cool  You go straight to heaven or hell????  Unbelievable!!  sad   How Sad!!  I was looking forward to rattling a few chains and being able to change sheets every day!  lol

1. profile image0
          Vincent Mooreposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pearl I beg to differ in good humor of course. I wish you had been on that Kentucky back road I parked on one early morning back in 2004, I came almost face to face with a lady in white, she stared at me from the back of my trailer where she was standing and looked at me through my passenger west coast mirror. I had the guts to walk to the back of my truck and see her up closer as she turned and drifted like a mist into the cemetary that just happened to be there. I never believed in ghosts or the paranormal until that morning and I've never forgotten her. I wrote a poem "Graveyard of Lost Souls" two years ago, I believe it's still here in the hubs. I now have a very open mind:-) when it comes to ghosts. lol

1. Jerami profile image57
            Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've had a number of experiences ...  don't know what they are ...  they just are.

2. profile image0
            Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know some of those Ky. backroads.   You weren't....perhaps....on that winding road to Lebanon or some other wet town, were ya?

4. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Indeed.   True.   
        At least at the core of it.

I did see a figure one time,  a dark figure standing at the foot of my bed when I was a child,  apparently a warning because that's the same night I woke up to hear my Mom say we had to leave 'cause our house had flooded!      But that's different from trying to talk  to dead family members etc.    You are right---the devil and his minions try to deceive anyone they can!   Much of it would be actually laughable if it weren't for the fact that those "psychics" you describe play on the confusion and grief of people who're missing their deceased family members;   what a rip-off artist Sylvia Browne and those other so-called psychics are!   .Stealing people's money and offering souls to the devil.

2. justateacher profile image84
    justateacherposted 11 years ago

I definitely do...I have had too many encounters not to. The two latest was when my grandson played with my mother - who had passed away a year before (and he still talks to her all the time) and the two little girls who giggled and played with toys in our spare bedroom.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

We have a several spirits in and around our home.  They are not demons or evil; they simply exist; they just are just as much as you and I.
    The fact that they exist on a different plane of existence than ours does not lessen their reality, and now and then, things shift in such a way that we experience a brief interaction with that other realm.
    I do not believe in angels or devils--only in the innate capacity for both good and evil within humans themselves.
    There are many reasons a spirit may remain, and it is not always a 'refusal' to move on; often it is a bewilderment as to what happened to them, particularly in the case of sudden and violent deaths.
    I suggest you look up fellow Hubber, Christine B:   http://christine-b.hubpages.com/  who is a professional paranormal investigator for more information on this topic.

4. karthikkash profile image82
    karthikkashposted 11 years ago

I do believe in supernatural and paranormal beings such as ghosts, aliens, ghouls, demons, angels and so on. However, I do not necessarily believe in the classical differences between some of them such as ghosts, demons, angels and gods. I think these are different powers which vibrate at different frequencies in this universe. They are just energy forms according to me (honestly, I haven't encountered a ghost till now, so I cannot believe that it has a physical form).

I am sure that aliens and other paranormal creatures exist. It is just a matter of time before people accept their existence.

5. Cera Horne profile image60
    Cera Horneposted 11 years ago

I believe.

6. SoundNFury profile image82
    SoundNFuryposted 11 years ago

I definitely believe that there are things that happen that cannot be easily explained.  I recently wrote about one of my childhood experiences with entities that can probably be considered "ghosts" or "spirits" - they were definitely not on the same physical plane as you or I.  I called them the "Little Green Men" as that was the best was I could describe them as a child:

http://soundnfury.hubpages.com/_3ms9z58 … hey-Anyway

7. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

I know that we all don't know enough to dismiss the possibility the existence. Quantum theories of multiple universes and 21 dimensions and all that. Living creatures with electrical nervous systems that are in a magnetic field could possibly leave some sort of imprint akin to a magnetized screwdriver after being near a magnet.

I can tell when I enter a new situation and the people working there hate/angry at each other even though no overt signs of distress. If living in such an environment over a long period of time I believe the emotional imprint will be left in that room/office building.

There is a reason why hotels close a room off forever without renting it out when a super-violent murder takes place in the room. Some hotels don't do that. That's why the 2007 movie called 1408 with John Cusack is so scary. That's why in certain states when selling a house - by law must tell the buyer that a murder has been in there - it lowers the price. People instinctively felt that something bad left behind in a murder and it's not just blood stains.
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7529906_f248.jpg

8. SoManyPaths profile image59
    SoManyPathsposted 11 years ago

I believe in them. Had a few experiences as did my Mother.  I don't tell other people about it. There will always be non-believers (or those, scientist types, that want some physical proof). They just have to move forward and go outside their comfort box.

I never knew that about the hotels and murders. Is that enforced in all states?

I felt as if I'd had experiences in my youth, and my father has told many me many stories about how paranormal experiences and how I seemed to have some sense of things (as he did, and his grandmother too) - and i've heard stories from the other side of the family who tell me that I experienced things and then told them about it all calmly.

the problem I have is that now i'm older, and more educated in the fields of modern science, I believe that it's more than possible for a lot of these experiences to be explained through mental duress (family members recently passing away) or an over-active imagination (of which i'm more than guilty).

Of course, not all of it can be explained. Thus my stance on the paranormal is speculative; a lot of the things shown on TV and such is clearly ridiculous, but there are some things that can't always be grounded in reality by science.

How do you know it can't all be explained?  You can't go back and recreate the scene and "ghosts" to make any tests or further observations.  You (nor anyone else)  know all the possibilities for explanation. 

The best you can claim is that you can't explain it, but that hardly seems a reason to decide that ghosts exist.

That may be the case, but the issue is that many of these theories are based on hear-say and eye-witness accounts, and with the unpredictability of human nature and brain patterns, even that cannot be relied upon. Thus the problem is that without any true evidence, theories of the paranormal will be widely rejected by any average human who follows modern science, unless they themselves have experienced something strange that they cannot explain with rational thought.

I'm not saying they do exist, and at this point i'm a little confused at the point you're trying to make. I feel you may have misunderstand my comment.

Quite likely I did.  However,

"Thus my stance on the paranormal is speculative" and "there are some things that can't always be grounded in reality by science"

gives me to believe that for whatever reason you believe that there is some kind of world outside of reality.  Another "dimension", the "supernatural", call it what you will, but there is something out there that is not of this world and does not follow the physical laws of this universe.

As we have never, ever found anything that does not follow the rules, I will never understand why anyone insists that such exists.  Every time we "find" something like that we also eventually find the laws and rules it operates under.

I am not suggesting such a plane of existence exists, but given the fields of science and it's progression - it's very clear that we are in fact quite 'in the dark' in a lot of things related to the space-time continuum.

Also, our knowledge is entirely limited to man's capability of perception and knowledge. It's likely that there are lot of things out there in the universe that we simply cannot comprehend nor begin to understand (which would not follow what we believe to be the grounded laws of physics), given how our science is based upon experience and testing.

Please don't misinterpret my words - I lean very heavily towards scientific fact over hear-say and similar ideals. I just keep an open mind in this aspect in that there may well be possibilities of crazy stuff going down. Although, i'm more of the inclination that I have an over-active imagination and have hallucinated before, leading to me retelling stories that others around me want to believe so much that they believe they experience similar things.

I certainly apologize if I mistook your meaning - that was not my intent.

Although we can't perceive many, many things (UV or IR light, radiation, radio waves or a star a million light years away, we can build instruments that do the perceiving for us so far.  Of course we're always finding new things; perceiving that which we did not before.

On the other hand, I don't see any reason to think that there is anything we can't comprehend (and is real) given enough time.  We may not be able to imagine 4D space with our limited 3D perspective but we can model it and work with it mathematically; we can "comprehend" it.  We will not, of course, ever know if there is something by definition.

Indeed, so soon the ideas of the paranormal might be as trivial as the original explanations for gravity; hence my incredibly sceptic attitude toward the experiences I've been told I've had. All the supposed encounters with the deceased may well one day be easily explained.

Given enough time, yes, we will most certainly understand more and more, providing there is no sudden disasters which halt the progress of science. For now however, we are in the dark on the rare occasion that science cannot discern the truth of people's experiences.

*shrug*  It took decades to debunk Piltdown Man - how can we expect science to immediately explain an experience that the researcher didn't observe, can't measure and can't repeat?

At best, the researcher can give some alternate possibilities.  "Might have been swamp gas" but the inevitable answer is always "No - I don't know what swamp gas is or looks like and I certainly didn't check for any, but I didn't see any so it was definitely a ghost." 

Every time that science is actually there to observe and measure there are no ghosts.  Maybe if people that observed such things made a real effort to find a cause instead of declaring "I don't know, so it was a ghost" we wouldn't be trying to discern truth from a simple personal report of an experience.

9. profile image49
    marculzposted 11 years ago

Don't really believe in ghost as long as I cant see them if they real or not...

10. SoManyPaths profile image59
    SoManyPathsposted 11 years ago

True. Some can surely be explained and some occasions can't.

11. Silva Hayes profile image78
    Silva Hayesposted 11 years ago

Thirty years ago, I saw a spirit several times (perhaps six or eight times) and so did my husband and daughter, each at separate times from me or each other. 

The setting:  Georgetown, Texas, about a block from Southwestern University, on a quiet, tree-lined street, a beautiful old wood frame home on a corner lot with a rear-entry garage, so we always left and entered through the back door into the kitchen. 

The situation:  This was a time when we seemed to be living almost separate lives.  I worked in downtown Austin, 30 miles away, and endured heavy traffic up and down I-35 morning and night and worked for an attorney who often kept us working late.  My daughter was a teenager who was heavily involved in sports and other school activities and often wasn't home or else was holed up in her room.  My husband traveled and was away from home 3 or 4 nights a week.   

The vision:  Several times as I arrived home from work and entered the kitchen, I saw, through the archway into the family room, a spirit drift from near the front door, across the family room at an angle, and disappear into the wall separating the family room from a bedroom.  It was a young woman dressed in clothes of the 1800s, white chiffon dress, blue satin sash, long dark hair put up in a roll around her head, partially transparent, and seemingly unaware of my presence.

The conclusion:  For some reason that I cannot explain, I did not tell anyone.  I did not feel fear, exactly, just curiosity and a vague unease.  Although I did not mention this to anyone, including my family, within a week or two, first my husband, then later my daughter, came to me and described the exact same phenomena, WITHOUT ANY PROMPTING on my part.  So I know, beyond a doubt, that the house held a presence, a remnant from the past.  This was before the days of the internet so there wasn't much I could do to research it.  I did try, both at the library and by discreet inquiries, but came up with nothing.  I can only speculate.

1. ATexanagain profile image57
      ATexanagainposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had a similar experience in Round Rock, is the house still there in Georgetown?

1. Silva Hayes profile image78
        Silva Hayesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, but I would guess that it is.  I am not sure of the address because it was so long ago, but I "think" it was 1501 Olive Street.  It was a corner lot, a 4-bdr, 2 bath home, probably about 2,400 sq.ft.  It was probably built in the fifties.  So the lady we saw did not live in that house in the past, but perhaps in a previous house that was built on that land(?)  We leased the house for 6 months while we were looking for a house to buy.  The house on Olive was owned by a Doctor G---, can't remember his name, a professor at the university.  He was already elderly back then.  We now live about 50 miles away, on the other side of Austin, and I never go back to the Georgetown-Round Rock area.

1. ATexanagain profile image57
          ATexanagainposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm in Georgetown all the time I'll see if I can find the house.

1. Silva Hayes profile image78
            Silva Hayesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, due to curiosity, I looked on Google for a bit and found the house.  It's 1209 Olive Street, (not 1501), and it looks like it is currently for lease.

12. chicagoguy profile image64
    chicagoguyposted 11 years ago

Nope !! never encountered so far !!

13. rasta1 profile image72
    rasta1posted 11 years ago

Growing up in rural Jamaica is enough evidence. A lot of spiritual activity happens here. My grandmother is 88 and had her first experience at that age. We both saw a spirit at the same time. It was not my first experience. It gave me some relief to know that my grandmother knows I am not crazy.

14. Byonder5 profile image59
    Byonder5posted 11 years ago

Do it. Take time out. Don't be hurried. Don't let anyone hurry you.

15. RobertSmith92 profile image60
    RobertSmith92posted 11 years ago

So you believe in something that was written thousands of years ago, and what you say yourself is 'full of amazing stories' over the factual theories and ideas presented by modern science?

Also, if you believe in the bible, you surely believe in some of the more horrible things present in it too. If you truly read the bible properly and saw the true meanings behind a lot of, I doubt you would be so ready in asserting your faith in your religion.

I will not go on, as it will digress majorly from the main topic.

1. profile image0

I have a lot of friends I'm very close to that are Atheists and I have to admit, I always find it funny how ppl don't respect your right to have faith. But I do, so there ya go.

I respect everyone's right to have faith, but when I find moral problems with what they are basing their belief upon then I feel it is only right to inform them of these problems.

Everyone has a right to believe what they want. That doesn't mean their belief is wrong.

Don't misunderstand me, I respect that many have religious beliefs because they are good people, but the majority of people involved in most religions are NOT good people, and haven't been throughout the history of those religions.

1. profile image0

Awesome, I am relieved that you believe I have to right to believe as I choose. I've studied the Bible more than the average Joe, by my best estimation...  and I find it to be historically accurate, prophetically accurate and spiritually accurate. And maybe more importantly, I have found God to be true, good, faithful and very much real. This has been my experience.

If you wish, I could provide you with some information about the bible to give you some insight into the darker nature of the Christian religion. I won't post anything here, as I do not wish to digress the topic further.

1. profile image0

Robert, as long as there are humans involved in any aspect of life... there will be darkness. Man left to his own morals and values is a frightening thing. There are many who claim to be Christians, from those responsible for the crusades to the Westboro church that spreads it msg. of hate far and wide. To know Christ and His ways is something most ppl haven't actually spent a lot of time investigating. God Himself, is love... He is good, there is no darkness in Him. Thanks for the offer, but I when it comes to God, I can't be swayed. Have a good night. smile

I am left to my own morals, and I would say that I'm fairly respectable given my lack of reliance in a faith.

If you know and understand how evil and dark humanity can be, have you not considered the possibility that your religious text was fabricated by such people in an effort to control and subject the masses (something that humanity has tried and succeeded to do since we first began grouping together)?

1. profile image0

Robert, I can't be swayed.

I am not asking you to be, I was merely asking you a question on whether or not you considered it when making your decision.

16. RobertSmith92 profile image60
    RobertSmith92posted 11 years ago

Yes. Just because no is there to percieve it, doesn't mean no sound waves are given off.

It isn't hype, it is a sound and logical argument that pretty much debunks all religions. If you can come up with a reasonable response in answer to it, then I will applaud you.

My knowledge of yours and many other's 'gods' is at it's highest peak; and it is indeed of immeasurable value to me.

I feel that you are a nice and moral person, and as such I take no enjoyment with debating with you in the fields of what many consider a very personal area. Many see it is an insult upon themselves if someone logically questions their faith and beliefs.

1. profile image0

Your first question: "...have you not considered the possibility that your religious text was fabricated by such people in an effort to control and subject the masses..."

Of course... many have used religion to try and control ppl. Sex is also used to try and control ppl, as is money, government, brute strength, you name it. Do you still have to desire to have sex? Why? If it is used as a tool to try and control ppl, why would you desire it? Women are raped every day, children are molested... why would you desire sex? What does that make you, ignorant or evil?

Well of course it makes you neither. Hopefully you are a good man who desires to fall in love with a woman and love her in every good way you have to offer. All kinds of evil men have come and gone and will come again to pervert the msg. of salvation that is offered to every man. Those men, their tactics and beliefs have nothing to do with God. God is all powerful, those men will have to answer to God for their lies.

Your second statement: RobertSmith92 profile image
      RobertSmith92 30 minutes ago:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Why does man believe that he is superior to God when it comes to what is right or wrong? There is no knowledge God lacks unlike you and I who lack an infinite amount of knowledge. So is God willing to prevent evil, but unable? He is able to do all things so as men we say, why doesn't God make this a perfect world where no one suffers, no one dies... etc. The Bible clearly explains that when man chose sin over their relationship with God, that He gave us a free will. He would have to control our minds and actions to make a perfect world. Would you want to be in any relationship where you controlled the other person? This is not Heaven. He has created a perfect world that He offers mankind, "to as many as would receive Him." When you know His word, and Him well... all your questions will be answered if that is in deed what you seek.

There is a difference between doctrines of text and natural desires. One is man-made, the other is something that we as a species cannot live without (without procreating how else can our species survive?)

There is no right or wrong. In nature, do you see evidence of morality amongst creatures? The very idea of 'right or wrong' is a man made idea, hence why we have complete (and the only) knowledge on what we as a whole deem 'right' and 'wrong'.

Surely if God is so knowledgeable, he would be able to create man in a way that he didn't 'sin' against his ideals? Again, with this knowledge, he would have foreseen the temptation, evil and suffering that would proceed from his creation of man - if so, why did he bother creating us? If we were in such a perfect world we would have no idea that we were being controlled, so why would we question it?

The very idea of heaven is very obviously a man made concept. One of the easiest ways to scare anyone is threaten them with death. Threaten with the possibility of eternal damnation and pain and then you have them in the palm of your hand. Offer them peace and bliss, if they do what you say, then you are in control.

1. profile image0

What would you personally get out of a relationship if you fully controlled the other person and they didn't know it? Would you prefer a relationship with a robot or an intelligent person, capable of choosing or rejecting you. When someone you love chooses you, when they fall in love with you, it is very rewarding and pleasing. He created us for His pleasure when you accept that God is all He says He is, you will realize you cannot make Him fit in the box you've created for Him.

So now you're saying your God created us for his pleasure? If he has feelings such as pleasure then surely he is not a deity, as pleasure is a base feeling that is also driven by darker past-times.

So your same god who gave us free will got angry when we didn't choose him and thus decided to horrible things to people - even though your god was no where near even the first deity to appear on this earth. Hundreds of other religions proceeded him - how can you answer that? And if you literally believe in the bible - surely Eve's sons performed atrocities given that she was the only female, and how else were they able to reproduce?

There are many, many problems and inconsistencies in the bible, not to mention the fact that ideas such as Jesus are ONLY recorded in the bible, and no other historical accounts from the area of the period he supposedly lived makes any mention of him whatsoever.

Also how can you answer for Christmas - an amalgamation of pagan celebrations joined together with the idea of Jesus being born. This is known to have been first purposefully done by the Romans when they needed to get the Christians under control; so the emporer joined two religions together to give him complete control of his subjects.

1. profile image0

If you looked God in the eye, you would still deny Him for your heart is full of self... there is no room for Him there now.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

You can't look something in the eye if it isn't there to look at.

2. RobertSmith92 profile image60

I have no need of some magical being, as science has disproved much of what many religions has claimed. I am content in life, and I accept the fact that this is the only life I have; when I die, I die.

The reason we are at odds is because humans have as a whole advanced enough that we don't need the doctrines of religion to hold our hands and give us purpose; we have now been to SPACE, we have actually left our planet. Surely at this point a god of some sort would have shown themselves for once to congratulate their pet project on their accomplishments?

Science disproves nearly all of religion. The problem is that many of the religious cannot come to terms with that.

1. profile image0

Robert, the reason we are "at odds" is because you don't respect another persons right to have faith in something you have discounted. It is ultimately very vain. God is not a unicorn, He's the creator of math and science and space and time. Your knowledge of these things is incredibly minute, but b/c God doesn't behave the way you think a god should behave, you shake your tiny fist at Him. If there is a chance God is real, you might spend your time pursuing that knowledge... or maybe that's what you're doing now. You will learn more about God reading the Bible than by endlessly debating His existence. CS Lewis was at one time an atheist and he writes on the fact that he had to convince himself that the whole human race were fools. You have that same outlook, what other explanation is there that so many have been duped so thoroughly for thousands of years, while you have risen like cream to the top of the milk? Unless possibly true Christians have not been brain washed... unless we are not simpletons in need of a fantasy to distract us from the darkness in the world... maybe instead some of us have actually experienced God and you have not. Lewis said he was "angry at God for not existing." Do not think yourself wise in a matter you are simply ignorant... you have investigated the arguments of the Atheist and adopted those ideals, but allow yourself to truly seek God as an adult. There is much you don't know.

That is entirely false, we all respect your right to believe in irrational nonsense, it is the irrational nonsense itself that is not respected.

That is a perfect example of the irrational nonsense that is not respected, although your right to believe it is respected.

2. RobertSmith92 profile image60

God is akin to a unicorn. No one has proof that unicorns exist but there are eyewitness reports and the like claiming that they exist(ed).

Your god did not create math, nor science; they are man's advancements and accomplishments.

Space and time are just man's understanding of the universe, based upon the science we have developed to comprehend it. The existence of space and time themselves are not your god's creation - if it was, why was Earth dominated by dinosaurs and the like millennia before Homo Sapiens were even beginning to scratch livings out of rocks?

Evolution is a fact. There is a lot of evidence supporting it. There is no evidence supporting your god creating the earth other than writing a book. That is not sufficient.

I have read much of the bible, and I am frankly disgusted at a lot of the things it teaches and proclaims happened. It surprises me that many today still believe in these ancient stories over modern science facts;

This where science surpasses religion. If something we believe to be true is proven wrong, the scientific community will accept this and follow the new, factual ideas.

When religion is proved wrong, your defence is "you do not understand my god's plan/work/teachings, just trust in him for the truth".

I haven't risen like cream, I am merely enlightened thanks to modern science and teachings. Many others are in the same boat, but unfortunately religion is still rife as it cleverly indoctrines children at a young age to bring them into the fold. It is a safety net for people to fall back on when they cannot accept the harsh realities of our cruel and unforgiving world.

You say people have experienced 'god' - it's funny, when one lone person has an imaginary friend they are treated as insane. When many claim to have the same imaginary friend, it is treated as a 'religion'. I have hallucinated before, but I know that these are hallucinations and merely figments of my imagination.

I am not ignorant. As I said, I follow modern science and when things are logically proven wrong, I accept that. How is that ignorance? You dispute the existence of aliens because your god said they didn't exist in a book written thousands of years ago, even though modern science has now clearly proven that given the scale of the universe that aliens must exist somewhere.

That, is ignorance. There is much you do not know, as you chose to avoid the truth. I opened myself to god as a child (note that Jesus taught that children were the best disciples, given their open minds and such - again references to child indoctrination) and as a child I found problems with religion and is teachings. I have a hub I've written that details my life growing up in catholic schools, should you wish to read it.

I respect your right to believe what you want, but you continue this discussion with me. I feel obliged to retort when your arguments against me are wrong and rely upon the idea that I need to talk to god to find the truth.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

Everything you've said about yourself describes a robot with no intelligence whatsoever.

Again, not sure if you're talking about me or not. This comment layout is confusing at times.

Click the "this" button at the end of the line next to ATM's avatar - you will see that he was replying to Beth37.  At least in threaded view; chronological provides the text he is replying to.

Thanks for the clarification, and apologies to not replying to your last comment to me; I got caught up in my conversation with Beth.

17. Pramath Kant profile image56
    Pramath Kantposted 11 years ago

Just because our senses are not that much sophisticated to see ghosts we can't deny their existence not matter how questionable their existence be. You cannot limit your knowledge to tangible objects. Till 17th century no one knew about single cell organism or believed in such a thing. People used to die because of such organism but never understood the cause of death. But after renaissance period period people became aware of its existence and its implications to human body. I am not against your belief but what I am trying to say is don't reject anything outright just because they are outlandish or don't satisfy the conditioning logic. There are several things beyond logic. Science is their to prove  relations to what God made and what humans can easily understand. I believe  Big Bang occurred but I am more interested in how it happened. Someone had to initiate an explosion. Who was that someone, how did it do that. These questions are similar to the existence of Ghosts and paranormal so it all comes down to your belief. Jesus never said nothing bad will happen. No crime will occur. No calamities will occur. He told us to follow the path of righteousness. I am not  Christian but still I know what is written in Bible is not straightforward. It has meaning to it. God has always told things symbolically. Its unto us to understand it wisely for we are the species with most developed brains. Ever religious scripture is written symbolically and now where it is written that nothing bad will happen. It will happen, it is bound to happen you cannot stop it because it is God who casts all this. It is written in Bible, it is written in Quran, it is written in BhagwadGita. So my friend not believing just because you can't see or perceive is not totally correct. You can't see death but it will come. No example is as good as this.

For those who even have an inkling of understanding, ghosts violate physical laws of the universe, hence their existence isn't possible, let alone questionable.

That is a fallacy. Single cell organisms ARE tangible objects, so your point is moot.

Such as...???

Nonsense, science is merely a process for understanding the world around us, it has never found gods nor has ever found any evidence of what gods made.

There is no indication of a "someone" that started the Big Bang. It appears to have come about entirely on it's own, like everything else.

Exactly, they are all just irrational beliefs. Glad you agree. smile

1. Pramath Kant profile image56
        Pramath Kantposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Troubled Man it seems you are really troubled. Is amoeba tangible. Can u hold it, smell it see it with your naked eyes. NO!! you cannot but it is there even in your stomach, my stomach everybody's stomach. It just needs environment to foster. And regarding Science, it explains what is around us. But who created. There should be some force, some energy. There is energy inside everybody which is not tangible but it is there.  And it rubbish that Big Bang happened on its own. Can an explosion occur on its own without a detonator.  Then how can you believe Big Bang happened on its own. Just because no- one knows about it we cannot negate the question of how it occurred. Rational or irrational beliefs may be but there are certain things which no-one can answer.  Either you believe them or you don't it depends upon your perception. But certainly you cannot deny their existence just cause you cannot perceive. I am not saying i don't believe in ghosts or aliens or paranormal activity but I am not denying their existence.  If you believe irrational thoughts are useless and have no meaning then just give a thought to this. Who are you, why were you born , what will happen to me when I will die and try to imagine your death and its feeling. These question may seem irrational but to a dying person and person nearing his death these become paramount.
        "Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible laws and connections, there remains something subtle, intangible, and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. To that extent I am, in fact, religious." - Albert Einstein.

Is there some reason why you began your post with a personal insult?

That is pure nonsense, amoeba are tangible objects, they exist in reality. Being able to smell or hold something in your hands does not only describe what is tangible.

You just contradicted yourself by stating they are not tangible.

There is no "who".

Most likely, there probably was.

Do you even know the definition of 'tangible'? It's about having physical existence.

Yes, it is rubbish for those who don't understand it.

A perfect example of not understanding the Big Bang.

Like everything in the universe, things happen entirely on their own. There is no reason to believe otherwise with the Big Bang.

So what?

That doesn't make it true, though.

The existence of something has nothing to do with my perception.

That's nice.

Strawman argument.

Is there some point to that quote? It doesn't support anything you've said thus far.

1. profile image0

You have been insulting to me from the minute you hit "reply" and I wasn't even speaking to you. I was simply responding to a barrage of questions about my faith from someone else.

You can agree to disagree with someone without insulting them, something you just reprimanded Pramath for... be respectful of others.

That is not true and you know it. Why are you lying about that?

1. profile image0

"Everything you've said about yourself describes a robot with no intelligence whatsoever."

"That is a perfect example of the irrational nonsense that is not respected..."

Maybe I misunderstood, but you certainly come across as disrespectful. Again I assert that you can agree to disagree without insult.

Perhaps, I need to repeat myself. I respect your right to believe things, but I don't have to respect the things you believe, which has nothing to do with insults.

Do you understand?

1. profile image0

lol... Do I understand? Yes, I believe I can wrap my head around that statement, thanks. Maybe you can comprehend that changing your wording from "your right to believe irrational nonsense" to "your right to believe things" helps a person receive your points without having to withstand your condescension. Once again, I would very much like to exit this conversation as I don't feel that either of you is so much interested in other ppl's perspectives as much as you are interested in the desire to pat yourselves on the backs b/c of your superior intellect. So I will leave you both to it. I wish you both the very best.

2. Pramath Kant profile image56

Troubled man. I apologize for inflicting insult. Sorry.
            As far as meaning goes tangible means anything which can be touched, but if you still insist that amoeba can be touched then I can't say anything. I am a researcher and i haven't felt amoeba till now. I tried to convince you through my knowledge. But i feel i have inadequate knowledge. Will get back to you when i have more.

1. profile image0

So humble... very impressive response Pramath.

Beth.. I never intend to hurt anyone but I felt guilty as he felt insulted. But I am enjoying these discussions. It is increasing my horizon. smile

1. profile image0

It's lovely to meet you. smile

Same here Beth.. smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

Hilarious, so because you don't understand the concept of 'tangible' you assert amoeba's don't exist?

A researcher? In what?  Amoeba?

When did i say i don't believe in amoeba. What i was trying to say that till 17 century people didn't know amoeba even existed but it does, though one may not feel its existence, just like tress and animals....

That is an argument from incredulity, a fallacy. It is irrelevant to this discussion.

18. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

A true believer here. I have a sixth sense and a close contact with the world beyond. Sensitive to even the slightest movement and unusual happening. It's all because my family has had all sorts of paranormal contacts and happenings. I like it this way as it makes me feel so much closer to my loved ones.

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good to see you out and about in the forums Rasma ...

You usually don't say "Boo!"  lol

19. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
    A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years ago

great video, astounding proof of the existence of ghosts. I take back everything I said!

1. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
        A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I thought so. Welcome to reality.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)