Why is it illegal not to wear a seat belt

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. eaglecreek profile image59
    eaglecreekposted 11 years ago

maybe it is safer but why do i have to wear one? i am not a threat to anyone if i dont wear it.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Because the busybodies all over the country have declared that the average American is incompetent to take care of themselves so the busybodies will do it for you. 

The attitude that you are incompetent to make decisions yourself isn't limited to seat belts, though.  Most states require a motorcycle helmet.  NYC won't let you buy a large soda any more - you're too stupid to understand it might make you fat. 

The list is endless of actions that someone somewhere has decided that they know better than the individual American how they should act and what they should do and those busybodies are more than willing to forcibly control others.  After all, they're obviously smarter.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
        Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. And to add, that some time in the last generation we "young adults" just let these laws happen without protest. My 90-year-old mother was wise to this pattern decades ago and has no problem reminding me that I did it to myself, and future generations, by keeping silent.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Statistics clearly show that seat belts save lives.

If I could guarantee you'd die instantly if you had an accident, I'd say - go ahead, don't wear a seat belt, it's none of my business. 

Trouble is, there's a good chance you'll survive, and then you'll be costing the rest of us money in the emergency crews sent to rescue you, the hospital costs and possible benefits to you and your family if you're disabled.  So that makes it my business and you should stop being selfish.

3. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

roll  Why should others have to put up with You flying through Their windscreen, in an accident mate?  sad   
      Perhaps you should simply consider the fact that in an accident... everything in the vehicle continues to move forward at the same velocity as the vehicle was moving at, prior to stopping!!  sad  If you are then unable to appreciate Why... then consider the cost of disposing of the skid marks that you'll leave, or Match on the politicians with a sign that says "Say No to Seat Belts.... Defy Logic!"  lol

1. profile image0
        Kathryn LJposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, there you are driving down the road, when out of no where, some plonker decides to drive head on into your vehicle.  You, as a concerned citizen are wearing your seatbelt.  This does not stop you from being killed, as the idiot, who doesn't care about his own safety, flys straight through both windscreens, killing yourself, as well as themselves.  But at least no one told them what to do.  So that's all right  then.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

You are a threat to the pockets of the tax payer who would have to pay for your treatment and possible benefits secondary to a disabling injury.

I'd be cool with it being voluntary if non-wearers have no dependents and sign away the right to any healthcare or benefits required as a result (unless it is funded directly from their own pocket).

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

From a standpoint of relationships - family - interdependence. You have a role to your son/daughter, you might be a bf/gf, wife/husband to somebody, teacher etc.

4. eaglecreek profile image59

I am so confused?? not wearing a selt belt makes me a threat as i could become a "flying projectile" if i am in an accident? so according to this logic anyone riding a motorcycle is a threat to everyone on the road??
    I also love to eat red meat as well as fried foods but they are not good for me. how long before that is illegal?

5. eaglecreek profile image59

I want to be deeply moved that my government is so concerned for my safety that they want to force me to wear a seat belt if I like it or not, but im just not buying it.

It just doesn’t add up if you look around, why are there so many pot holes in the roads? Why are there so many cops giving tickets to folkes going 5 miles over the limit. Why do the same cops run stop lights and stop signs when they are in pursuit of no one and not responding to anything? How will our kids get educated on whats safe and not safe when our government put such little money in to our school systems.

All this leaves me scratching my head but what do I know I am just a simple country boy.

And for what its worth, I have 2 young children and we all wear our seat belts, but I do not like my government telling me I have to do this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)