Should the Republicans blame the POTUS for all the money spent?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (32 posts)
  1. movingout profile image61
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Congress allocate and approve the money? And all the POTUS can do is ask for it? If that's the case, both Republicans and Democrats in Congress are responsible for this growing debt not the POTUS? They could say no? But then again looking at the pork in the Sandy dissaster allocation shows just how broken both Republicans and Democrats are in representing the people! Both parties seem to think they have a blank credit card or a money tree! We need to start blaming both parties and not just one.

1. profile image0
      Jonesy50posted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's enough blame to go around, Movingout. Congress should cut spending, starting with the defunding of the boondoggle, Obamacare. That would be a great place to start. Then there's all the entitlement programs we could cut dramatically by doing things like requiring drug tests for welfare and food stamps.

There's any number of departments we could do away with like the NEA. Taxes earmarked for schools shouls stay in the states rather than being sent to the NEA only to have a portion sent back to the states.

Those are just a few. What are your ideas?

movingoutposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Making healthcare affordable is one I believe shouldn't be cut. Everyone should have health insurance available to them. If a person was to lose his/her job, they would realize the cost of private insurance for an individual or family is not affordable for most people. There is plenty of other pork items that could be cut. Just look at the pork in the first bill passed to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy.

1. profile image61
          logic,commonsenseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why is making healthcare affordable the responsibility of government?
          Where is personal responsibility?
          You are correct about the pork in the disaster relief bill.  Did you contact your representative and Senators to object?

1. Cody Hodge5 profile image68
            Cody Hodge5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

DId you?

And not being able to afford healthcare has nothing to do with personal responsibility.

1. profile image0

Nothing is a personal responsibility to a liberal. They want the government to take care of everything.

2. profile image0

Movingout,

How is it making healthcare affordable if it only piles on more and more taxes to pay for it? I take it you haven't received you first paycheck for 2013.

My premiums, that that Idiot in the White House said wouldn't go up, went up $120 per pay period, $240 per month. It's due to Obamacare that they went up.

Here's an idea and it's worked before. Cut spending, Cut entitlements. Cut taxes.

And some more. Lets have mandatory drug testing to receive welfare and food stamps. Cut out sending money to countries like Egypt. Cut waste from government like the NEA and the Department of Homeland Security.

And before we do one more thing, tell Obama he works for us and his days of spending $7,000,000 on one vacation is over. Air Force One is grounded unless there's an emergency.

Seems like common sense to me.

Seems to me Congress is approving the spending? The POTUS can ask, but it's up to both Dems and yes, Republicans to vote it through! I'm glad you're not one of many Americans who lost everything, NO fault of their own, and now need help. I hope and pray that never happens to you! Because if it does, you may just be one of those Americans needing assistance.

1. profile image0

Last I checked, I have a wife and two sons. One of them is 22 and on his own. So that leaves me responsible for providing for my wife and 4 YO son.

You and the rest of the libs in this country are NOT my responsibility!!!! I shouldn't have to pay for your healthcare, food, or housing!!!!

2. profile image54
              whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What congress is approving? The democrat controlled congress approved most of these things not the republican controlled congress.

1. Quilligrapher profile image75
                Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi there, Whoisit. If I may just clarify one little point so there is no misunderstanding.

Steve Ellis at Taxpayers for Common Sense offers this insight, "The president has no role in passing a budget. The president can cajole Congress about passing a budget and advocate for positions and funding levels, but in the end, Congress approves the budget resolution for their own purposes.” {1}

Government spending in the USA is actually the responsibility of both Houses of Congress; one of which Republicans have controlled since 2011 and the other dominated by Democrats since 2009. President Obama’s budget represents his “wish list.” However, the Congress decides jointly where and how the money is spent. Unfortunately, the spending deliberation process is broken. The President has submitted a budget to the congress every year since first elected but only the Congressional spending resolution in 2009 contained any recognizable elements of the president’s original requests.

Thanks for allowing me to add this little correction.
                http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
                {1} http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter … ss-budget/

3. wilderness profile image93
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Affordable healthcare"?  Affordable for whom?  The people getting it or the people (rest of the country) paying for it?  Maintain our current spending levels and a loaf of bread won't be affordable, let alone decent health care for everyone.

4. Moderndayslave profile image60
          Moderndayslaveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why insurance? Insurance caused this problem. When I was a lot younger my parents could pay for a doctor visit (house call) with the cash in their pocket. Now it takes a days gross pay or more for a 15 minute office visit.

So If I understand you right? Poor people should be denied afforable healthcare? That their lives are less valuable? Boy a lot of people thinking this way will have a hard time later entering those pearly gates! I wonder if God meant for people to determine who lives or dies, based on their income? lol

1. tammybarnette profile image60
              tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bravo Movingout, I have had it with the bootstrap crap! Been choking on it since election season. People seem to forget that it our civic responsibility to care for our nation as a unit! That IS responsibility, some R's wouldn't understand responsibility if it slapped them in the face, but they sure love spouting the word! When will they realize we are one country, under God! We are one people! Americans used to take pride in the fact that we help our neighbors, now everyone has their hands out but don't want to pay the price! We need to cut welfare, that is Corporate Welfare!!! We need to cut defense spending, we need to streamline agencies, we need to petition that Congress should not be allowed to vote for their own raises! Yes there is a lot to cut, and we should begin with cutting the crap!!

1. profile image0

It is our responsibility to care for those who truly need help but we have far too many people abusing the system, Tammy.

Would you agree there needs to be a drug test for those on welfare and getting food stamps? IMHO, there also needs to be restrictions on where they can spend the funds and how much cash can be pulled from the card.

This Conservative understands welfare, Tammy. My wife was on some public assistance programs before we got married. When we got married, she dropped all that voluntarily. Actually, it would have been cheaper for us to have lived together and her remain on the programs but it wasn't right, morally or legally.

I have no problem helping my neighbor as long as that neighbor is doing all they can to help themselves, giving a hand UP, not a hand OUT.

I do agree with you on cutting corporate welfare, streamlining agencies, and stopping Congress voting on their own pay raises. I wish I could do the last one for myself. Don't we all.

I don't agree with you on cutting defense spending. This is the one thing our federal government is suppose to do and should be able to do to the best of their ability. That costs money, especially with all that China is doing to build their military and the ever present terrorist threat.

I agree 100% that drug testing should be part of benefits of wel-fare, and I do understand that the abuse of the system has hit disturbing levels. I do however believe over spending on military has been a problem in this country for many years, this system is obviously abused as well or we wouldn't have fought two wars on a credit card.

1. profile image0

+1

2. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
    A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years ago

Of course you are right. It is called "selective awareness" . . . they are aware of the fact on the conscious level, their is a subconscious compulsion  that over-rides reality.

3. movingout profile image61
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

Your answer shows the problem. The "blame game". I stated both parties. They are both out of control when one or the other is in power. And the Republicans have indeed contributed their fair share to the debt. Neither party seems to be able to pass anything anymore without some pork in it! Just look at the pork in the last bill Congress passed to help the victims of Sandy.

1. profile image0

Yes, both parties are to blame, Movingout, but so is the president and the millions of "give me, give me, give me everything free liberals" and "vunables." Through the problems and desperation of the citizens, the liberals are grabbing more and more power and, along with that power, more and more of our freedoms.

I didn't take these people to raise or support so why should my taxes have to go up to pay for their healthcare or anything else for that matter?

@Jonesy50...and I'll venture to say many of these people were hard working Americans who lost everything during the recession. I'm glad you're doing well, but imagine if you lost your job and source of income and couldn't find employment. Or employment that perhaps takes you from making good money to little or no money leaving you in dire straights, no health insurance, source of income, and needing assistance. Would you think the same way if the shoe was on the other foot? Food for thought!

1. profile image0

Who said I was doing well, movingout? Yes, I have a job, two jobs, and I write on the side to make extra, but I'm far from doing well.

I'm not talking about those that have lost their jobs, homes, and, in some cases, families due to the economy. I have friends and family this has happened to and I've done all I can to help them and will continue to do so.

I'm talking about the ones that milk the system for all it's worth to the point they make better money than I do. These are the people I have no compassion for. They're taking the benefits I'm helping to pay for and should be going to the real sick, old, and people like single moms who need it. This is what I'm saying isn't right and should be stopped.

Very true! I like your idea of drug testing for benefits, I have said that in the past and I believe it is about to become reality from what I am hearing. Another hubber said they should volunteer if their isn't any work, another great idea, fosters work ethic and insures nobody gets a free ride.

2. profile image54

The blame game, well the President has blamed his predecessor for all of our problems, he isn't responsible for a thing so why should anybody be?

4. peoplepower73 profile image90
    peoplepower73posted 11 years ago

This should put it in proper perspective for everybody.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-berni … 39576.html

1. profile image54

You almost had me.

1. profile image0

Huffington Post? A proper perspective? Yeah, right!!!!

2. peoplepower73 profile image90
          peoplepower73posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jonesy50: It's not about Huffington Post.  It's about Senator Bernie Sanders who wrote the article.  In case you don't know, he is an independent senator from Vermont.  He is not for either side.  I suppose, you agree with all the information that comes from the Heritage Foundation!

2. Cody Hodge5 profile image68
        Cody Hodge5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Allergic to facts?

5. tammybarnette profile image60
    tammybarnetteposted 11 years ago

I left a link above, has anyone noticed that the fedral deficit=military spending to the penny...is this a product of fighting two wars on a credit card?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)